Part 2 Failures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Kid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there failed twice and are trying to taking it for the third time....

I am scared out of my mind to take for the 3rd time and just wondering if anyone failed twice and passed the 3rd time or failed twice and failed again...

how did you guys study...i just ordered the kaplan books and hopefully they will help...i am trying to leave no leaf unturned

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone out there failed twice and are trying to taking it for the third time....

I am scared out of my mind to take for the 3rd time and just wondering if anyone failed twice and passed the 3rd time or failed twice and failed again...

how did you guys study...i just ordered the kaplan books and hopefully they will help...i am trying to leave no leaf unturned

aia wish you all the best.When 's your exam?

me too! I planned to retake part 2 for the third time in november =(
Any advice you've heard, do you think Kaplan will help?

Members don't see this ad :)

I was wondering if you passed the 3rd time. How did you change your strategy? I failed for the third time this last June...I got 74. I just don't know what to do with my life for one year..I hope I don't forget everything.

I was wondering if you passed the 3rd time. How did you change your strategy? I failed for the third time this last June...I got 74. I just don't know what to do with my life for one year..I hope I don't forget everything.

Hi!
r u studying right now or taking a break from all this?Wish you all the best.Time flies real fast.Before you know it,an year would have passed.Keep studying.TC

I'm planning to retake the exam (3rd) after the blockout period on sept. So if you fail the 3rd time then you have to wait for 1 year to retake it??? I know it's very depressing and frustrating but can you tell me how u prepared for the 3rd time? Any recommendations????

I am also sorry to hear about the unsuccessful exam. I am planning on retaking it in the first week of Sept. My score was 328/500 in may which was unsuccessful (74). I know you also received a 74. Do u mind telling us what your score was? This is a really hard time for us all..I know with perseverance and hard work..we will get it this time.

Hi
Juby,
can you post the blackout period date.or where can i find about these date.
thanks

Hi
Juby,
can you post the blackout period date.or where can i find about these date.
thanks

It is 8/10/09-8/31/09 for Part II. Go to the ADA Website under Part I or II whichever applies to you. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Failed 1st attempt and took it at end of July. If anyone has taken it recently, what has been the wait? Thanks

:)

Our Dean (UPENN) told us that the blackout dates for August were being lifted.. I called the ADA, and sure enough, they have been.. I have my Part 2 boards scheduled for this Thurs and Fri (Aug 20 and 21).. Good luck everyone..

I took my boards back in April and failed the first time around simply because i thought that quickly flipping through the decks once would get me through. I just finished up my ortho residency so thought that i would be perfectly fine with the hard work and info that i had learned through dental school. I recently took the boards for the second time and thought they were ridiculously harder the second time around. Same basic topics but much more in depth. The second time around I went through the decks a few times, First AID, and old exams. The exam was completely different than the first time around, only a few basic repeated q's. After reading the forums i thought that getting around a 320 would get me a passing grade. Even on a few threads people were talking about scores around 298 that were passing. I got 339 right with a passing score of 75! Thats not adding the case based because i know that they are already included. I was just suprised that i only got a 7-8 point scale. I know that they base the point scale on the difficulty of the q's and all but i was very surprised.
I am glad to have passed but would be more than willing to help anyone/ answer any q's that anyone has to help get through this terrible exam. In my opinion this exam does not really test you on any knowledge that you are going to need once you are out of school. I understand that its more of a stepping stone to get through, but i just think that the ADA needs to rethink how this exam is given. Again please let me know if i can help in any way. Good luck to all those taking it soon, dont over think the q's, and absolutely get some sleep the night before the exam so you can think through the q's... its draining

Thanks for the posting and helping others with your feedback..

good luck:thumbup:

g

I took my boards back in April and failed the first time around simply because i thought that quickly flipping through the decks once would get me through. I just finished up my ortho residency so thought that i would be perfectly fine with the hard work and info that i had learned through dental school. I recently took the boards for the second time and thought they were ridiculously harder the second time around. Same basic topics but much more in depth. The second time around I went through the decks a few times, First AID, and old exams. The exam was completely different than the first time around, only a few basic repeated q's. After reading the forums i thought that getting around a 320 would get me a passing grade. Even on a few threads people were talking about scores around 298 that were passing. I got 339 right with a passing score of 75! Thats not adding the case based because i know that they are already included. I was just suprised that i only got a 7-8 point scale. I know that they base the point scale on the difficulty of the q's and all but i was very surprised.
I am glad to have passed but would be more than willing to help anyone/ answer any q's that anyone has to help get through this terrible exam. In my opinion this exam does not really test you on any knowledge that you are going to need once you are out of school. I understand that its more of a stepping stone to get through, but i just think that the ADA needs to rethink how this exam is given. Again please let me know if i can help in any way. Good luck to all those taking it soon, dont over think the q's, and absolutely get some sleep the night before the exam so you can think through the q's... its draining

Hi i planning to give part to secong time in oct. When ill u plan for that ?

QUOTE=odontologia;8538634]Failed 1st attempt and took it at end of July. If anyone has taken it recently, what has been the wait? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi!
r u studying right now or taking a break from all this?Wish you all the best.Time flies real fast.Before you know it,an year would have passed.Keep studying.TC

Thanks for the posting and helping others with your feedback..

good luck:thumbup:

g

I took my part 2 for the 2nd time on july of this year, i got a raw score of 379 and i still got a 72!!!! i'm planning to take it again maybe in octuber or november, any advice? thanks!

Hi drfriend,

Is your score on 500? :confused:
Because any scores above 340-350- you should have passed!!!
maybe you are counting your day 2 scores and adding it all up? ..
since day 2 is already counted with day 1 , they just give you a break up on how you did on your case based ..

kindly if you can, you can post your scores of day 1 and day 2
did you improve your raw scores from your 1st time since you mentioned you took this again 2nd time around?

great you found this dental forum, this seems to be your 1st post here on sdn----

there are many great students out here to help you out and you can also search for "part 2" and read up on many old threads, lots of good information on part 2.

Good luck:thumbup:
Thanks!
g

I took my part 2 for the 2nd time on july of this year, i got a raw score of 379 and i still got a 72!!!! i'm planning to take it again maybe in octuber or november, any advice? thanks!

QUOTE=odontologia;8538634]Failed 1st attempt and took it at end of July. If anyone has taken it recently, what has been the wait? Thanks
[/QUOTE]

i'm thinking beginning of nov... hopefully.

I couldn't agree w/Gaura more.. you probably added the ones you got right out of the 100 case base studies for the 2nd day and as it was pointed out, they are already added for both days in the individual subject areas. They just show this number (case studies) to let you know how many u got right the 2nd day. So, add all the individual areas and DON'T add the case based q's.

With a 379, you would have for sure passed as Gaura said.
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me........ :(

Hi drfriend,

since day 2 is already counted with day 1 , they just give you a break up on how you did on your case based ..

did you improve your raw scores from your 1st time since you mentioned you took this again 2nd time around?

great you found this dental forum, this seems to be your 1st post here on sdn----

there are many great students out here to help you out and you can also search for "part 2" and read up on many old threads, lots of good information on part 2.

Thanks!
g

Hi everyone!!
I just got my scores back and failed with a comp score of 74 :(! I was just wondering if anyone has tried to have their scores audited for accuracy and if that has ever changed someones score??

I have same problem
I got 74.If u know something then plz let me know

Hi everyone!!
I just got my scores back and failed with a comp score of 74 :(! I was just wondering if anyone has tried to have their scores audited for accuracy and if that has ever changed someones score??

wink23 and ronu24,
I read a study online this summer that said no one's score had changed after auditing (I can try to find the link, but you can search online for it too). You don't want to have false hope for the time it takes to audit (which is at least a month) and not study when possibly you could need that time to study. Any people I have personally heard who have audited, their score was considered correct and they had to retake the exam, whether it was Part 1 or Part 2.
Best of luck!
ddsgurl

i got my scores audited twice and it didnt do anything....it took like over 2 months to get my scores back too...

is it true that the curve decreases each time you take it?

Strictly Opinion:
From experience and looking at SDN score posts, yes. If you ask the ADA, well, you know the answer they give. I think you have to work much harder to get a passing score the second time b/c the # correct on your part needs to be higher and there is less of a "curve." I'd say work harder than the last time you took it, even if you felt like you prepared well. Push yourself b/c you don't know what's going to be there on test day and you know you have the knowledge to make it through. Sorry I don't have a more concrete answer.

Anyone took part 2 in late aug / sept , how was your test..?

Thanks
sj:luck:

[QUOTE=SDM2009;8548742]

Our Dean (UPENN) told us that the blackout dates for August were being lifted.. I called the ADA, and sure enough, they have been.. I have my Part 2 boards scheduled for this Thurs and Fri (Aug 20 and 21).. Good luck everyone..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
SJ - when do u take your test and what materials do you have to study? Have you failed an exam? It's been nice getting feedback from different ppl in the same boat.

Anyone took part 2 in late aug / sept , how was your test..
kindly post updates...

Thanks
sj:luck:

[QUOTE=SDM2009;8548742]

Our Dean (UPENN) told us that the blackout dates for August were being lifted.. I called the ADA, and sure enough, they have been.. I have my Part 2 boards scheduled for this Thurs and Fri (Aug 20 and 21).. Good luck everyone..
[/QUOTE]

Hello Odontologia,

Hope your studies is going on well When do u plan to appear for the test again?
I have the same materials as everyone else has who is studying for part 2,
I think you are in a much better position to give feedback/ advice to anyone since you have already taken this test twice!

Good luck Thanks!!:luck:

Last edited:
Hello Odontologia,

Hope your studies is going on well When do u plan to appear for the test again?
I have the same materials as everyone else has who is studying for part 2,
I think you are in a much better position to give feedback/ advice to anyone since you have already taken this test twice!

Good luck Thanks!!:luck:

WOW!!!!! You answered NONE of my ?s... How do I know what materials everyone has, that's why I asked YOU!! Have you failed it? No answer! And then you ask ME to tell you when I'm taking my test? The gull! Yes, we all know I took it twice, how about YOU!!??

Since you asked me when i plan to take it, I asked you the same! that's all
As far as the materials goes I said as everyone else who is studying for part 2 means : materials for part 2 have been talked about so many times by other students.
I dont remember being rude to you anytime, Sorry, Anyway I dont need to answer any of your questions.
Thanks and good luck to u

WOW!!!!! You answered NONE of my ?s... How do I know what materials everyone has, that's why I asked YOU!! Have you failed it? No answer! And then you ask ME to tell you when I'm taking my test? The gull! Yes, we all know I took it twice, how about YOU!!??

Last edited:
I think star u are posting in the wrong thread " says part 2 failures" ..maybe that is why odontologia is mistaken and I think odontologia you also need to give everyone a break once in a while and not assume anything:)
cool ...Take it easy Study hard ..:thumbup:

btw: asking for a friend : is the part 2 block out dates been lifted for sept?

g:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I took a test in the beginning of Sept. and I passed with score 79. I sucked at patient management I got only 34 whereas the national mean is 43. Do you guys think the school I want to apply for would look especially into the patient management part? I think I did just fine with the clinical part but the question about patient management really made me blind.

schools only look at your total score, ie 79...they dont get the individual breakdown

how are people studying for pt management questions? there were alot of questions about bundling, down bundling that i never heard of or saw anywhere in my reading material...any help would be great, i really need to pass

schools only look at your total score, ie 79...they dont get the individual breakdown

how are people studying for pt management questions? there were alot of questions about bundling, down bundling that i never heard of or saw anywhere in my reading material...any help would be great, i really need to pass

I would recommend Mosbys and Tufts, they have good pt mgt info. Good luck!

The score that i put was based over 500 questions of the 2 days, on based cased i got a 69 of 100 and the nat mean was: 69.8 (that is only the 2nd day right?) in the first day the number of correct questions that i got was: 310 of 400 questions, hope that this can help.

I studied from 2008 dental decks, i did the qbank, also first aid for part 2 review book, kaplan review book for part 2, and old examens, any suggestions? thanks and good luck for everyones,

Hi drfriend,

Thanks!
g

The score that i put was based over 500 questions of the 2 days, on based cased i got a 69 of 100 and the nat mean was: 69.8 (that is only the 2nd day right?) in the first day the number of correct questions that i got was: 310 of 400 questions, hope that this can help.

I studied from 2008 dental decks, i did the qbank, also first aid for part 2 review book, kaplan review book for part 2, and old examens, any suggestions? thanks and good luck for everyones,

I would add Mosbys, Tufts and also the asda just released a new test 2M on Aug 18th, so that's one more great study tool. Good luck!

Hello drfriend

Thank u for posting your scores .. Regarding your scores, I think u mean 310/500 1st day..
I think the scores needed to pass this test has gone way up..
maybe there is a "scale curve" for peope who are retesting again i mean repeaters..
Good luck, :luck:
g

Hello drfriend

Thank u for posting your scores .. Regarding your scores, I think u mean 310/500 1st day..
I think the scores needed to pass this test has gone way up..
maybe there is a "scale curve" for peope who are retesting again i mean repeaters..
Good luck, :luck:
g

I don't necessarily think so and let me tell u why:
My first time I got 293 - score 73
second time 317 - score 72

Now, I really thought the second exam was pretty reasonable, really. I know, I know I failed it, but for some strange reason my operative score was way lower than the mean. Other than my operative score I did reasonably well on all the other sections.
My first exam I thought was pretty hard, I mean much harder than my first. Now, many may think that the second was easier since I studied a little harder and that may be the case, but I really don't think so. So I think if the exam is harder there is more leeway on the curve, if the exam is easier there is less leeway on the curve. Now, that's my opinion, but who knows for sure.... Good luck!!!

Hei guys:

I am going to take part II for the first time, could I joint in your review.

I am study with First aid part II only.

kindly some consent...

Ya guys me want to know If frist aid for nbde part2 is good or do we have to stick to mosbys as i dont have mosby.
Please reply

Ya guys me want to know If frist aid for nbde part2 is good or do we have to stick to mosbys as i dont have mosby.
Please reply

I can tell u that mosbys is good in the pt mgt section and it also helped me answer a few other board ?s that were not on decks or anywhere else. I can't answer for first aid because I haven't read it yet, but I have access to it and will make sure I read it before I take my boards. Good luck!:thumbup: