Part 2 Failures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused Kid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there failed twice and are trying to taking it for the third time....

I am scared out of my mind to take for the 3rd time and just wondering if anyone failed twice and passed the 3rd time or failed twice and failed again...

how did you guys study...i just ordered the kaplan books and hopefully they will help...i am trying to leave no leaf unturned

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell u that mosbys is good in the pt mgt section and it also helped me answer a few other board ?s that were not on decks or anywhere else. I can't answer for first aid because I haven't read it yet, but I have access to it and will make sure I read it before I take my boards. Good luck!:thumbup:
Thank you so much

has anyone passed the 3rd time they have taken the exam?

Hi - I have read it somewhere in this forum, it is possible and doable.... when r u taking yours? it looks like i'll be taking mine in beg of dec since the centers are filling up now for nov and i don't have my eligibility to sign up yet... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
This comes from the candidate guide for those who have failed the exam less than 3 times: "You may apply for reexamination at any time. However, notification of eligibility will not be sent to the Prometric Contact Center until at least 85 days have lapsed from the last attempt."

Just as a warning for those who failed the exam less than 3 times: they say they will send you an e-mail after 85 days notifying you of your eligibility and sometimes that may NOT be the case. I didn't get ANY e-mail at all and I called them after the 90 days and they said an e-mail was sent to me the week prior or so and that is a LIE!! Just beware and count those 85 days and call them on THAT day if you didn't get your e-mail, just stay on their @##!! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
A couple of ppl started to post their raw scores and their overall score to help out and show what may be needed to pass in the nbde 2 thread experience, but I think these scores need to also be posted here since this thread is also appropriate. Thanks

1st attempt: 293/500 = 73
2nd attempt: 317/500 = 72

A couple of ppl started to post their raw scores and their overall score to help out and show what may be needed to pass in the nbde 2 thread experience, but I think these scores need to also be posted here since this thread is also appropriate. Thanks

1st attempt: 293/500 = 73
2nd attempt: 317/500 = 72

following ur lead....good idea

1st: 287/500 72
2nd: 325/500 74
3rd: 325/500 74

hope this helps.

If you fail part 2 are we eligible to give the exam in 2010?

Of course you are able. The new rule of 2010 as I understand, is that you won't be able to re-take an exam if you've passed and want to improve your score (not sure if a score is even given). If, however, someone has failed it, then yes, they can re-take it.
I don't know if the "eligibility for re-examination" rules will change, I haven't heard anything about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the failing scores for the NBDE part II are automatically sent to the Board Examiners to the 3 states that were chosen when we registered for the exam? I failed my exam the 1st time, and I thought I read somewhere that the scores were being withheld and they are not sent until we pass the exam.

Does anyone know if the failing scores for the NBDE part II are automatically sent to the Board Examiners to the 3 states that were chosen when we registered for the exam? I failed my exam the 1st time, and I thought I read somewhere that the scores were being withheld and they are not sent until we pass the exam.

From what I know, they are sent to the state. Just call one of the three state boards and you'll know for sure about your particular scores. Good luck on the next and hopefully last attempt!!

I wonder who does the exam auditing in case we request one. I hope they are qualified dentists and not secretaries who just check if there's a computer glitch. Do you guys know?

I did the score audit, it simply took about two months to get my score back.
I took the exam for the third time before black out date, all I can say is the exam is getting harder and harder. I don't think the curve will have the influence, as I know you will need to get more than 335 correct in order to pass.
good luck.

"all I can say is the exam is getting harder and harder. I don't think the curve will have the influence, as I know you will need to get more than 335 correct in order to pass.
good luck.

I couldn't agree w/you more!! The exam is getting harder and harder and that score needed to pass sounds right also.

Failed again. 3rd time

336/500

Wow, those numbers are so that you should have passed, and missing it by 1 point!!????? Dissapointing.

Well, now gotta try to see if you could ask for a waiver, I heard the ADA sometimes grants them. You may be able to take your test before the year wait. Good luck!!!!

Wow, those numbers are so that you should have passed, and missing it by 1 point!!????? Dissapointing.

Well, now gotta try to see if you could ask for a waiver, I heard the ADA sometimes grants them. You may be able to take your test before the year wait. Good luck!!!!

what do you by waiver?? can you explain more clear please..:(

what do you by waiver?? can you explain more clear please..:(

i heard when soemone fails it more than 3 times, sometimes the ADA grants a waiver for the person to retake sooner than the 1 yr waiting period. i also think the school they graduated from may help w/this waiver.

I didn't pass the first time with a 73. Studied Mosby's once and decks 3x...no old exams. Studied for about 3 weeks. I only took about 4 hours the first day of the exam and the whole time the second day.

I just got my results from the second exam and passed with an 80. Studied for about 3-4 months 5x a day. Went through decks 1x, mosby's 1x, all released exams from 89 and up and a lot of textbook / class notes. Took the whole allotted time both days of the exam. My study partner also passed with an 82.

The exam did not seem any more difficult than the first exam....but it wasn't easy. Some people were saying the second exam is much harder, but I feel it was the same as the first exam.

I'll post up more about how I studied later today....I'm getting together all of my NBDE II stuff to sell....and there's a lot of it!

hey congratulations !!
n do post your study pattern , will help us all
and did u get repeats from the previous papers in your exam?

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

That is just great that you passed. !!!!It must truly be a great feeling..:thumbup:
Thank you for posting and letting us all know, regarding the test.
Congrats once again:thumbup::)

I didn't pass the first time with a 73. Studied Mosby's once and decks 3x...no old exams. Studied for about 3 weeks. I only took about 4 hours the first day of the exam and the whole time the second day.

I just got my results from the second exam and passed with an 80. Studied for about 3-4 months 5x a day. Went through decks 1x, mosby's 1x, all released exams from 89 and up and a lot of textbook / class notes. Took the whole allotted time both days of the exam. My study partner also passed with an 82.

The exam did not seem any more difficult than the first exam....but it wasn't easy. Some people were saying the second exam is much harder, but I feel it was the same as the first exam.

I'll post up more about how I studied later today....I'm getting together all of my NBDE II stuff to sell....and there's a lot of it!

hey congratulations !!
n do post your study pattern , will help us all
and did u get repeats from the previous papers in your exam?

I used mostly class notes and Mosby's. I reviewed decks again this time, but I don't think I got all the way through once. I went through the decks 3x the first time I took the exam and read Mosby's once. Didn't use Tufts at all.

I started on the sections I was weakest on and spent the most time reviewing those.

After reading all of the notes and corresponding Mosby's sections for each subject, I moved onto ASDA released exams from 89 and on. I then took all the exam questions I missed from the exams and looked up the correct answers and tried to figure out why I missed them. Then I re-did all those questions again.

I've attached my score breakdown for the second exam...I can't find the exam breakdown for the first exam.

scorebreakdown.jpg

Just wanted to share that third time is a charm! Exam was much much harder than my previous 2 together and I really thought I had failed it. Implantology questions were absolutely insane!!:scared:
My previous two tests I felt pharm had reasonable and easy ?s but on the third test, the questions were very hard!! I also thought perio was particularly hard and the ortho ?s I had never heard of many terms used. Lastly, radiology was also crazy, I hadn't seen MANY of the x-rays shown on the test on any of my study materials which was very frustrating. My problem with the third test is that a great number of questions were no where to be found on ANY of the study materials and I used a lot of resources. On a positive note, I thought pt mgt, operative and endo were easier on this test than on my previous 2 exams. Before my third test, I was very anxious to hear of ppl who had passed on their third try since not many had posted their experience. I just wanted to encourage those who have failed in the past that it's totally doable. Good luck to all!!!

Hi odontologia,
When was your third test? Did you take it recently? If yes, can you please share your scores.
Thank you!

Took it Dec 14 and 15. Thought I barely passed but of course I ended up with a 74 :(...didn't cut it. The day I got my score (Jan 15) I went out and bought Mosbys and I've been studying it so far. Hope this time is better, buit I have to wait until mid March to retake. Going to study my butt off. My raw score: 373/500. I must have had an easy version because I was shocked that this didn't pass. I never heard of the ADA making the exam harder the second time around, is this true? They don't alter the difficulty based upon your previous attempts right?

Took it Dec 14 and 15. Thought I barely passed but of course I ended up with a 74 :(...didn't cut it. The day I got my score (Jan 15) I went out and bought Mosbys and I've been studying it so far. Hope this time is better, buit I have to wait until mid March to retake. Going to study my butt off. My raw score: 373/500. I must have had an easy version because I was shocked that this didn't pass. I never heard of the ADA making the exam harder the second time around, is this true? They don't alter the difficulty based upon your previous attempts right?

I wish I knew. What bothered me the most is that there were 2 others taking the test with me on the third time and when we began talking about it afterwards, it seemed I got the harder of them all. Could have been luck of the draw, who knows. But I can tell you that on the second time even though i didn't pass, i thought the exam was not that difficult, i was actually shocked i didn't pass it. mosbys will be helpful. good luck in March, and be very prepared to take it again.

Anyone retaking the part2 exam in march/april.
please contact me . we can study together.n please make sure u r taking the exam in march/april so that we can plan accordingly.
Thanks

I made a 74, I took it on January 4 and 5th. I know I have to wait 90 days. Can I go ahead and schedule it? so I can take it at exactly 90 days (april 5 an 6th). does any know?

I made a 74, I took it on January 4 and 5th. I know I have to wait 90 days. Can I go ahead and schedule it? so I can take it at exactly 90 days (april 5 an 6th). does any know?

yes you can what was your raw scores?

No unfortunately. Yes, you can sign up, but then on and around the 81st-85th day you'll get an e-mail to go ahead and schedule the test thru prometric. Not sure how busy the prometric centers are in your area, but for me, I probably had to wait at least another 3-4 weeks to schedule it. The key is to sign up now before the 90th day in order for you to get the e-mail. On my previous 2 attempts I received no e-mails, I got snail mail so it delayed me calling prometric to schedule, that was a little frustrating. Basically sign up now and wait around the 81st day for you to call and get permisson to call prometric to schedule the test.

Just wanted to share that third time is a charm! Exam was much much harder than my previous 2 together and I really thought I had failed it. Implantology questions were absolutely insane!!:scared:
My previous two tests I felt pharm had reasonable and easy ?s but on the third test, the questions were very hard!! I also thought perio was particularly hard and the ortho ?s I had never heard of many terms used. Lastly, radiology was also crazy, I hadn't seen MANY of the x-rays shown on the test on any of my study materials which was very frustrating. My problem with the third test is that a great number of questions were no where to be found on ANY of the study materials and I used a lot of resources. On a positive note, I thought pt mgt, operative and endo were easier on this test than on my previous 2 exams. Before my third test, I was very anxious to hear of ppl who had passed on their third try since not many had posted their experience. I just wanted to encourage those who have failed in the past that it's totally doable. Good luck to all!!!

I also passed on my 3rd attempt. Had a raw score of 350 and ended up with a 76, but who cares, its done! I also used a lot of sources and felt some questions were so easy it started making me second guess myself and maybe that's what happened for some of them. Lets hope the licensure process isn't nearly as tedious ;)

I also passed on my 3rd attempt. Had a raw score of 350 and ended up with a 76, but who cares, its done! I also used a lot of sources and felt some questions were so easy it started making me second guess myself and maybe that's what happened for some of them. Lets hope the licensure process isn't nearly as tedious ;)

Congrats!! Way to go!! Hey, I wished I would've had easy ?s on my test,
I had hardly ANY easy ?s, that's what was so frustrating! So far, my licensing process is smooth sailing!!

Odontologia and karpov,
First of all congratulations. Everyone including myself is very happy and proud of you. I hope u treated urself with something cool for this greate success. could you please help me by sharing the exact materials u used to prepare for the exam and what did u do different? I appreciate your kindness.

Congratulations again and wish u a bright future.

Odontologia and karpov,
First of all congratulations. Everyone including myself is very happy and proud of you. I hope u treated urself with something cool for this greate success. could you please help me by sharing the exact materials u used to prepare for the exam and what did u do different? I appreciate your kindness.

Congratulations again and wish u a bright future.

Thanks a lot! what I added this third time and it was extremely helfpul was Tufts. This study guide had many ?s and answers but also many explanations for the answers which was very helpful, unlike ASDA released tests where they have Q&As. Another thing I found useful this time around was qbank ?s, I had some repeats from there also. Those 2 tools I hadn't used in the past. Of course I still used the normal which was Decks, Mosbys and released exams from the 90s to the most recent. I didn't find First Aid particulary helpful, neither the Kaplan Lecture Notes. Hope this helps and good luck to all who are taking the test!

Last edited:
Odontologia:

Did you purchase the Kaplan Qbank and just do all 950 or so questions? You saw direct repeats on your exam from Qbank? Would you recommend me using this?

Thanks a lot! what I added this third time and it was extremely helfpul was Tufts. This study guide had many ?s and answers but also many explanations for the answers which was very helpful, unlike ASDA released tests where they have Q&As. Another thing I found useful this time around was qbank ?s, I had some repeats from there also. Those 2 tools I hadn't used in the past. Of course I still used the normal which was Decks, Mosbys and released exams from the 90s to the most recent. I didn't find First Aid particulary helpful, neither the Kaplan Lecture Notes. Hope this helps and good luck to all who are taking the test!

Dear Odontologia:
Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry I have one more question
please

Where do I find Tufts and who is the author, to search for it since have never heard of it before.

I truly appreciate ur kindness.

Odontologia:

Did you purchase the Kaplan Qbank and just do all 950 or so questions? You saw direct repeats on your exam from Qbank? Would you recommend me using this?

Yes, I saw repeat ?s and I had both a disk and access to the website. Obviously for me having access was much more convenient and gave me a realistic framework for the test. I would suggest for ppl to perhaps go in together and buy an acct, it can save money that way if possible.

Hey everyone, I just got my scores back, failed 1st attempt. I am really surprised however reading all of your raw scores. My raw score was 397 and I scored a 73. I took the exam in 12/09.

I studied for a little over 2 weeks, about 60% of the decks and a few sections from first aid (i didnt find first aid that helpful). I had a busy schedule and a lot of other things going on. I didnt look at Mosbys or old exams (but will this time).

I dont check this website too often, and to be honest wont see any PMs but if you have questions I will do my best to answer. This time I will probably do decks twice, mosbys, and old exams.

Are you sure you aren't adding in your correct case based questions? Your raw score is out of 500 - not 600. Add up everything but your case-based questions and that is your raw score. The 100 questions on the last day aren't added into your raw score. If you didn't add those and it is a 397 - I would question someone at the joint commission about that. Perhaps an audit?

I agree with the above post,
I think you are calculating your day 2 scores with day 1 and coming up with this score of 397, there is no way that that you can get that kind of a score and fail this test! from the tred that we see passing scores anywhere btwn 350-360 ..maybe
since day 2 is already added to day, try and just calculate your scores without day 2, they just give that to us to know how we we do in case based that's all. it is already included.

Good Luck
Hope this helps!

Hey Congratulations!!
Can you please tell us when did you take your boards and when did you get the results back ?
Because I am also waiting for mine....
Thanks.