Palo Alto Ph.D vs NOVA Ph.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturesBright

Reaction score
Are there any current or former students of either of these Ph.D programs willing to weigh in on their thoughts of the program? Pros? Cons? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ehhh, I don't think anyone on this board has strong opinions on either of those programs.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Did you already try searching the forums for those keywords? It’s really helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
These have been discussed to death on the forum (recently as well). Please search and find the answers. Simply speaking, most people here discourage programs that lead to such high levels of debt, like these two. Aside from debt, these programs have large cohorts which is less than ideal for doctoral training.

Something to note is that, while the opinions of current and former students are valuable for determining quality of life during the program, what matters more are the opinions of employers. Students may agree that University of Disney was the happiest place on earth, but that won't matter if they can't find a good job because University of Disney is notorious for training people to be like Goofy.

Reactions: 5 users
I can't speak to Palo Alto, but, I know some of the faculty at Nova, and they're excellent (at least the one's I know). If you're interested in addiction, the Sobell's are both there. I also know a few psychologists that went there for their PhD (Jon Elhai at Toledo & a close friend that works at the VA in Jacksonville). Both of them are great psychologists. The PsyD program is more questionable (or so I'm told). Either way, you will likely take on massive debt. So while the training may be good, you may struggle financially afterwards.