Pacific U - Roll Call and Info thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought of another relevant tidbit. Your admissions status will be Accepted, Hold, Waitlisted, or Declined. So you can either interview and be accepted right off the bat, put on hold until they do another round of interviews and compare you to that group, be put on the waitlist (ranked) or be declined. She said it takes a long time for each decision, as even if you are Declined, they give you a full assessment, explaining why you weren't accepted, so you can make changes and reapply for the next cycle. I thought that was pretty cool...so at least you can learn something from the experience.

Also they hold a total of 5-6 interview days, and they are all-day events (probably similar to the Open House in structure). During the day you get a 30-minute session with a faculty member and a local pharmacist, where they ask you questions and try to get to know you. That is the "interview" part of the day. The rest you are fed and get tours and I'm not sure what all else. Vanessa said the first interview session will either be the last week of Oct or first week of Nov, depending on the number of qualified applicants they get early.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought of another relevant tidbit. Your admissions status will be Accepted, Hold, Waitlisted, or Declined. So you can either interview and be accepted right off the bat, put on hold until they do another round of interviews and compare you to that group, be put on the waitlist (ranked) or be declined. She said it takes a long time for each decision, as even if you are Declined, they give you a full assessment, explaining why you weren't accepted, so you can make changes and reapply for the next cycle. I thought that was pretty cool...so at least you can learn something from the experience.

Also they hold a total of 5-6 interview days, and they are all-day events (probably similar to the Open House in structure). During the day you get a 30-minute session with a faculty member and a local pharmacist, where they ask you questions and try to get to know you. That is the "interview" part of the day. The rest you are fed and get tours and I'm not sure what all else. Vanessa said the first interview session will either be the last week of Oct or first week of Nov, depending on the number of qualified applicants they get early.

WOW - That is really good info to share Pharm! I didn't know about the rankings... furthermore, I didn't know the 2nd person in the interview was a pharmacist vice being a faculty member. Last week in october is really soon. I dont even have my mail application in yet... I am stressing now... It might be in just before the end of the priority deadline - do you think that is too late??? Did she say how many people will be interviewed on each day?

Thanks again for the good info - oh... did she clarify about the number of applicants - is it 1000+ for priority deadline, or 1000+ for the entire cycle?

Thanks again... ~above~

WOW - That is really good info to share Pharm! I didn't know about the rankings... furthermore, I didn't know the 2nd person in the interview was a pharmacist vice being a faculty member. Last week in october is really soon. I dont even have my mail application in yet... I am stressing now... It might be in just before the end of the priority deadline - do you think that is too late??? Did she say how many people will be interviewed on each day?

Thanks again for the good info - oh... did she clarify about the number of applicants - is it 1000+ for priority deadline, or 1000+ for the entire cycle?

Thanks again... ~above~

Read the post before my last (I posted twice, but one ended up on Page 2, and one on Page 3). I think as long as you have it in by Oct 1 you should be fine. I'm actually worried about mine too. I mailed it Sept 1 and still haven't heard back. Last night Vanessa said you should get a confirmation after 3-8 days...and its been two weeks. Hmm. Anyway, I think they are getting a lot right now, but she made it sound like they pick the first round of inteviewees from everyone who makes it in by Oct 1. They didn't say how many for each day...but I'm guessing there must be a lot (30-50?)

Members don't see this ad :)
pharm thanks so much for the info.
as far as Oct 1st is concerned it is a postmarked deadline. My plan is to have my online app done before or by Oct 1 and my lor's and transcripts mailed(postmarked) by Sept 31st (as Oct 1 is a Sunday...oops on their part):)
I think we'll all be in the first interview group the end of October:)
later

I'm actually worried about mine too. I mailed it Sept 1 and still haven't heard back. Last night Vanessa said you should get a confirmation after 3-8 days...and its been two weeks. Hmm.

Still haven't received a confirmation email, but my status on the online app changed!!!:

"Application To The School Of Pharmacy for Fall 2007
Status: Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed!
Started: 08:00 AM, August 02, 2006 (PST)
Sent: 02:53 PM, September 04, 2006 (PST)
Confirmed: 04:48 PM, September 14, 2006 (PST)
"

Still haven't received a confirmation email, but my status on the online app changed!!!:

"Application To The School Of Pharmacy for Fall 2007
Status: Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed!
Started: 08:00 AM, August 02, 2006 (PST)
Sent: 02:53 PM, September 04, 2006 (PST)
Confirmed: 04:48 PM, September 14, 2006 (PST)
"

MUCHO CONGRATS!!!!

Question, do we need to send transcripts to the school when we are applying, or do we send it after we find out if we get accepted? Thanks.

One more thing, on the online application, their are certain spots that are limited, and i've taken a few math courses. Math 9b, Math 9c, Math 10a but theres only two spots, how do i choose which course i should put? Is it the most recent one?

Question, do we need to send transcripts to the school when we are applying, or do we send it after we find out if we get accepted? Thanks.

One more thing, on the online application, their are certain spots that are limited, and i've taken a few math courses. Math 9b, Math 9c, Math 10a but theres only two spots, how do i choose which course i should put? Is it the most recent one?

You need to send your transcript when you are applying. Thanks and I hope this helps.

Hey,
What did you guys put down for "how did you find out about this college?". I'm curious as to what people are saying. In honesty, I found out about this school through the SDN network. :D

Then put it down - Vanessa knows about this website - and this thread. I actually had a discussion with her and she brought it up. There is nothing wrong with using this network as a resource.

I have another question? i just wanted to clarify this but when we are calculating our cumulative GPA or science GPA it mentions about including repeated courses. So i assume that we have to mention both grades of the course that we repeated? or jus the better one?

I've been Keeping in contact with Pacific U ever since the first day I found out they were considering opening a pharmacy school,

I have another question? i just wanted to clarify this but when we are calculating our cumulative GPA or science GPA it mentions about including repeated courses. So i assume that we have to mention both grades of the course that we repeated? or jus the better one?

Yes go ahead and include the repeated class(es). All they want to see is an improvement. Don't worry so much about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
who is vanessa. I've been Keeping in contact with Pacific U ever since the first day I found out they were considering opening a pharmacy school, but I've never heard of her.

well, I suggest you go to www.pacificu.edu, check the admission session and you will see the name Vanessa. Any way she is the young lady that oversees the application process.
I hope this helps.

It is definitely both for the cum gpa... I think if you retake a class - you have to put both. Now for certian requirements - like calculus. I took Calc I twice, but took Calc II only once. I used my Calc II grade (A), and Vanessa said it is fine. Hope this helps...

who is vanessa. I've been Keeping in contact with Pacific U ever since the first day I found out they were considering opening a pharmacy school, but I've never heard of her.

Hey... Vanessa is the Assistant Director of Graduate and Professional Admissions for the College of Pharmacy. If you go to pacificu.edu, then click on Pharmacy on the left - then click on "Contact Us", you will see her contact info. She is a wonderful lady who has helped streamline the application process for a lot of people.

Also, if you are looking for more assistance with the application process - contact dannypx or any other member of the Pacific U ambassadors program. They are actual P1 students who are there to help P1 hopefuls go through the application process. The first class is made up of around 60 students, and I think more than half of them are members of the ambassador group. Feel free to post in this thread - a couple of us started this thread just to learn more about each other.

Take care and good luck

~above~

Oh O.k I think I know who she is now. I would love to go to Pacific, I'm just afraid I won't be able to afford it :(. On a good note, though, it is a 3-year program which makes it more appealing than the other out-of-state 3-year programs I'm applying to.

Oh O.k I think I know who she is now. I would love to go to Pacific, I'm just afraid I won't be able to afford it :(. On a good note, though, it is a 3-year program which makes it more appealing than the other out-of-state 3-year programs I'm applying to.

Pacific University has regional accreditation and qualifies for all Federal loan programs, so it is affordable for everyone. The tuition may seem a little steep in comparison with "in-state" tuition at many public schools, but if you consider the one year head start you will have in a three year program the economics generally work out favorably. As for other three year schools I believe the tuition rates are all about the same, with the notable exception of LECOM...which is over $10k/year cheaper for "some" reason.

Akaykay - I think you should go - I really feel like Pacific wants their students to accomplish their goals. I dont feel that way about UF or Nova (the other schools I have applied to). I had a 15 minute conversation on the phone with Vanessa about how the program is going, the open house, and the general interview process. I cant even get an admission's secretary on the phone for Nova or UF - simply put, Pacific wants you there - UF and Nova really want your money... big difference in my book

Let us know how things are going with ya...

~above~

^^ Yeah. I'm definitely applying to Pacific. I hope you get in too.

It is definitely both for the cum gpa... I think if you retake a class - you have to put both. Now for certian requirements - like calculus. I took Calc I twice, but took Calc II only once. I used my Calc II grade (A), and Vanessa said it is fine. Hope this helps...

What about when your calculating your science GPA? do we have to mention the grades of our failed courses? Because if so it's bringing my GPA DOWN alot...

Thanks for the help guys, this is helping alot

I have another question again, i know its been asked, but do you guys know how stict they will be when calculating GPA. Because i have been rouding up and down with my numbers, and i don't want to get penalize or anything if did it wrong. Will Pacific U help double check your work before they take in the application?

and for the refrences on the application it asks for address of the refrence, is that the address of where we worked, or the address of the evaluator?

What about when your calculating your science GPA? do we have to mention the grades of our failed courses? Because if so it's bringing my GPA DOWN alot...

I have another question again, i know its been asked, but do you guys know how stict they will be when calculating GPA. Because i have been rouding up and down with my numbers, and i don't want to get penalize or anything if did it wrong. Will Pacific U help double check your work before they take in the application?

and for the refrences on the application it asks for address of the refrence, is that the address of where we worked, or the address of the evaluator?

I am not sure but I will find out for ya. Hey, you have come a long way so I suggest that you stay positive and things will fall into shape.

The website says that I should send them all my transcripts and recs in an envelope. So does that mean I have to collect them myself and send them at the same time? I can't get the schools to send it to them directly? And my professor recs sent directly from them separately?

Furthermore, my school doesn't consider transcripts official if it's sent directly to students. So they would have to send it separately. Any advice?

The website says that I should send them all my transcripts and recs in an envelope. So does that mean I have to collect them myself and send them at the same time? I can't get the schools to send it to them directly? And my professor recs sent directly from them separately?

Furthermore, my school doesn't consider transcripts official if it's sent directly to students. So they would have to send it separately. Any advice?

An official transcript sent to a student is still official as long as it is sealed. Even if is a student copy - unopened its official. Yes, you need to collect them all - and send them in one envelope. Its abit time consuming I know - but this is the process, and there is nothing for it but to follow it through. I myself have been having trouble getting my LOR's in the proper format (LOR form, LOR stapled to back, in an individual envelope, sealed w/signature). Finally got that worked out and the last one is getting mailed to me. I should be able to send out the snail mail packet by Friday or Monday.

Stick with it - Pacific's process is longer than most of the others - but its definitely worth our time. Let us know if you need anything else savvy.

~above~

I know Danny is hunting down some info for ya - but I thought I would buzz in with a little more info. If you failed a pre req - then yes you have to list it in your science GPA. If you take Bio I and you get a D, then you retake and get a B - you list both and your net effect is a C. Not what you like to see, but there you have it.

One thing that can be done is using different courses. For my Calc credits, I took Calc I twice - earning a C, then a B. I also took Calc II - earning an A. For the calc credits computed in the science GPA - I only used Calc II. It does not specify which Calc class it wanted - and I have only taken Calc II once. I have talked with Vanessa about this, and she said it was perfectly OK. All of my Calc classes show up in my Cum GPA, but you do have a little wiggle room when it comes to the science GPA. Hope that helps. Let us know if you need more info.

~above~

An official transcript sent to a student is still official as long as it is sealed. Even if is a student copy - unopened its official. Yes, you need to collect them all - and send them in one envelope. Its abit time consuming I know - but this is the process, and there is nothing for it but to follow it through. I myself have been having trouble getting my LOR's in the proper format (LOR form, LOR stapled to back, in an individual envelope, sealed w/signature). Finally got that worked out and the last one is getting mailed to me. I should be able to send out the snail mail packet by Friday or Monday.

Stick with it - Pacific's process is longer than most of the others - but its definitely worth our time. Let us know if you need anything else savvy.

~above~

Thank you so much! Another stupid question. When they request the envelope to be signed across the seal, that means an actual written signature or that ink stamp that's already procedurely used by the school already?

Thank you so much! Another stupid question. When they request the envelope to be signed across the seal, that means an actual written signature or that ink stamp that's already procedurely used by the school already?

Either/or I think. I had four college transcripts. Two registrars signed them, two stamped. I think Pacific will understand that it all depends on the procedures of the school you came from.

does anyone know if it's o.k to submit an additional LOR to Pacific (total 3)?

I vaguely remember Vanessa mentioning this at the Open House. I think she was saying it was fine. I'm not completely sure though. Maybe someone else who was at the Open House can answer more firmly, or perhaps Danny can find out directly?

I asked back in August. Pacific told me that 3 letters of rec is ok.

Vanessa too told me that 3 letters (depending on your situation) could be a good thing. I am a bit non-trad as I've been graduated for over four years and have been working full-time in another field:) I am providing three letters of recommendation:)

I vaguely remember Vanessa mentioning this at the Open House. I think she was saying it was fine. I'm not completely sure though. Maybe someone else who was at the Open House can answer more firmly, or perhaps Danny can find out directly?

Yes, you can submit extra LOR if you could but it is not mandatory. Thanks

~above~

Thanks for the insight

But i'm still a little confuse? So when we calculate our math/ science GPA, we only put in courses that are pre req's? I thought it would consist of all the science classes and math classes i have taken? I know that there is another section that requires us to list the courses that shows us that we have completed the pre reqs, but for our science GPA we don't have to include all our science courses?

I have more questions again

I was wondering if Pacific University will ever look at our Pharmcas application? Does there admission process involve pharmcas at all?

2nd question is when you send in your transcripts and rec letters did any of you make a cover letter when you sent in the package? Because i just seems weird to me to put a bunch of transcripts and rec letters and send it to the office. Thanks

I have more questions again

I was wondering if Pacific University will ever look at our Pharmcas application? Does there admission process involve pharmcas at all?

2nd question is when you send in your transcripts and rec letters did any of you make a cover letter when you sent in the package? Because i just seems weird to me to put a bunch of transcripts and rec letters and send it to the office. Thanks

1. No - Pacific has nothing to do with pharmcas, and will not "monitor" it to find out more about you. I dont know if they plan on doing so in the future. A good portion of west coast schools have not signed off on Pharmcas. Look at the Cali schools specifically. I think maybe OSU and the Washington schools do though. As of right now - the answer is no.

2. Yes, I typed up an enclosure letter. It pretty much covers the normal basis of any package letter; hello, my name is, my info is, here is what is enclosed. If you have an extra LOR, this might be a good time to explain it. As I am recently transferred to UF, I put a little explanation in as to why I dont have a transcript from them (1st semester). Hope that helps.

~above~

2. Yes, I typed up an enclosure letter. It pretty much covers the normal basis of any package letter; hello, my name is, my info is, here is what is enclosed. If you have an extra LOR, this might be a good time to explain it. As I am recently transferred to UF, I put a little explanation in as to why I dont have a transcript from them (1st semester). Hope that helps.

~above~

Oh I should have done that!! After the fact, I find myself obsessing about every detail I might have forgotten. Also I check my email at least every 10 minutes. Its really unhealthy...

Above/gsinccom/anyone else. Have you sent in your apps? Its getting close to the deadline. I wonder how long after Oct 1 people will start hearing about interview offers. :scared:

So I have everything for my app done - except I am waiting on one LOR. I talked to the professor last week (wednesday I think) and told him I NEED it so I can send it out. He said OK - now its Thursday - and I still dont have it!!!! I am going crazy. Vanessa said that the deadline doesn't really mean anything. They will look at your app in the order that it is received. But... I think I also remember her saying that everyone before the deadline will be looked at in the first group!!!! Danny - BiOlogy - can anyone confirm this with the administration. I dont want to call again - Vanessa might get sick of hearing from me!!!

Ok - that's my panic moment for the day - help please...

~above~

So I have everything for my app done - except I am waiting on one LOR. I talked to the professor last week (wednesday I think) and told him I NEED it so I can send it out. He said OK - now its Thursday - and I still dont have it!!!! I am going crazy. Vanessa said that the deadline doesn't really mean anything. They will look at your app in the order that it is received. But... I think I also remember her saying that everyone before the deadline will be looked at in the first group!!!! Danny - BiOlogy - can anyone confirm this with the administration. I dont want to call again - Vanessa might get sick of hearing from me!!!

~above~

Could you send your prof a "friendly reminder" email inquiring whether he has dropped the LOR in the mail? Professors truly are absent-minded. It might remind him...or make him angry. But if he's already put it in the mail, you don't have to worry as much!

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. I have been browsing the website for quite some time, and finally decided to write my first post. I just finished sending in my online application for Pacific. My LOR's are finished and my transcripts have been received. I am a little anxious and can barely wait to find out about interviews, or the possiblity of it. Like the rest of you, I was sold on Pacific the first time I talked to Vanessa. I also have a friend who works in Portland as a Pharmacist, who can also vouce for the great staff and faculty at Pacific. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. I have been browsing the website for quite some time, and finally decided to write my first post. I just finished sending in my online application for Pacific. My LOR's are finished and my transcripts have been received. I am a little anxious and can barely wait to find out about interviews, or the possiblity of it. Like the rest of you, I was sold on Pacific the first time I talked to Vanessa. I also have a friend who works in Portland as a Pharmacist, who can also vouce for the great staff and faculty at Pacific. Good luck to everyone!

Welcome! The more the merrier! Are you from the Portland area as well? Are you applying to mulitple schools, or are you set on Pacific?

Hi everyone!

Its great to meet you - I'm glad you finally posted - are you located in Oregon? I am anxious about the interviews as well - To be honest, I'm hoping to just make the deadline right now :oops: I think I am going to give my professor a courtesy call today.

That's a good idea Pharm - but I think I need to be a little more direct with him. He's a great guy - but right now I want to strangle him. sigh

~above~

I am not located in Porland, but I lived there for 2 years before moving back to the Midwest. I have only been away from Portland for a year, but I miss the atmosphere, the city, McMenamins(for all you Porlanders) and even the rain. I am looking into other schools as well, but I am definitely sold on Pacific. It is my first choice by far. I am wondering how many applicants they have recieved so far? It's a bit nerve wrecking. I am so thankful that Pacific has interest in students with pharmacy experience... many schools just look at GPA and PCAT scores. I think Pacific is looking for more well rounded students?

~above~

Hey ~above~ and pharm47 and the rest of ya too:)

I am still waiting on one letter and am finishing up my essays. If I were done now I'd have sent the online app and my packet off already. Everything on their website says that it is an Oct 1st postmarked deadline which as far as I understand it means that the stuff must be in the mail before then. I am hoping to get my stuff off by September 30th(which is a Saturday) or before if possible. I've been under the impression too that anyone that gets their stuff in by this postmarked deadline has a shot at the first round of interviews. Does this sound right?

I was under that impression too... until the last time I spoke with Vanessa. She said that the date is really just a reminder to get your stuff in early. She said people really like deadlines. In truth though, your app will be looked at in the order in which it was received. If thats the case, and they have received 50 good apps, then the first date is already filled. I know this is distressing for us - we just need to get our stuff done ASAP and put our names in the hat. I'm hoping danny or Bio can confirm this...

~above~

I was under that impression too... until the last time I spoke with Vanessa. She said that the date is really just a reminder to get your stuff in early. She said people really like deadlines. In truth though, your app will be looked at in the order in which it was received. If thats the case, and they have received 50 good apps, then the first date is already filled. I know this is distressing for us - we just need to get our stuff done ASAP and put our names in the hat. I'm hoping danny or Bio can confirm this...

~above~

paging Danny or Bio:)

Just had to get this out there!!! Got off the phone w/ Professor Myers, and the final LOR is in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be here in 2 to 3 days - So hopefully it will be in the mail by Monday, or perhaps Tuesday morning!!!! I know the man upstairs is looking out for me... now lets all have a collective prayer for the US postal service. If there was ever mail that needs to be delivered, pharm school application material is it.

Had to vent...

~above~

Status
Not open for further replies.