P1 Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to make this for all the P1s out there to share there thoughts, concerns, etc during their first year in Pharmacy School.

Share with us your experiences so far. For all others (P2s, P3s, P4s), share with us your past 1st year experiences and advice you can give to P1s.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I will go first. My first year is going quite well. The exams are piling up! But I'm doing an alright job juggling it all. So I can't complain! What about everyone else?

well, my first year is moving along fine...had a midterm and immunizations test already..4 more coming up in the next two weeks...at least I am done with my hospital rotations....

Members don't see this ad :)
My first year just started on Sept 22. It's going well so far. I have my first exam tomorrow, so I'm off to study in a few minutes. My first rotation is at Target, and I like it so far. I've already started to get involved. I'll be going to the APhA-ASP midyear meeting at the end of this month. I'm also running to be a class officer. So far, I'm really enjoying Pharm school. It's a little overwhelming though. I'm used to staying ahead in my classes, but now it's a struggle just to keep up. I just find that I have to take it one day at a time, one test at a time, etc. I've definitely gotten better at time management. I think I watch the amount of TV in a week that I watched in a day when I wasn't in Pharm school.

Hey everybody!

Great idea for a thread so we can chat about how things are going!

I'm about at the halfway mark in my first semester. So far things are going really well. School is tough, but definitely doable! My biggest thing is just trying to stay caught up and not fall behind.

We don't do any type of rotations yet, so far its all just class work and a parenterals lab. (TPN's/aseptic technique etc). Is it common for P1's to already be doing rotations?

So, what's everybodys toughest class this semester? Mine is probably Medicinal Chemistry.

Biochemistry....so far I really hate this class. It is taking up huge chunks of my study time, mainly because it is quite uninteresting so far. I really hope that it picks up here later on or it is going to be a long term. Other than that, my course load does not seem to be too unmanageable.

I'm halfway through first quarter...5 weeks until finals! Overall, I love it, although, I agree with OSURxgirl and pharmagirl that it's so hard to keep up. We have one test every Tuesday and Thursday, so I've been concentrating on one course at a time, then forget about it for a while after the exam has passed. It's pretty challenging. I think biochemistry, pharmaceutics, and physiology are equally difficult...sometimes not necessarily the subject itself, but the wording of the questions on the exam. Its wierd to be in a group of really smart people. I feel really average compared to some of these people. I'm the dumbest smart person! :laugh: It's like saying I'm the poorest millionaire in a circle of millionaire friends. But somehow you still feel inferior, even though you know you have it way better than most people.

Today was my first day of shadow rotation. It's at a long-term care pharmacy. I'll be there every Wed. for 4 hours for five weeks, then I'll have another rotation at a hopital once a week for five weeks after that. Other than being a 3-year-program, this is the reason I chose to go to my school. I really appreciate being able to get a variety of pharmacy experiences beginning right away in the first quarter, instead of having to wait until the last year for all of my rotations.

good luck on exams everyone!!! :luck:

Everything's going well for me too. :) There are a lot more tests and longer days than I'm used to. Surprisingly I'm doing better in pharmacy school than I ever did in undergrad.

Class is going well..keeping up with school/extracurriculars/work/research is becoming a pain, but I guess it'll get better soon. I think my hardest class is Med. Chem, cause I don't have a good organic background..at UT we have Pharmacology also as P1s, but that class is going pretty well. First two exams are done, so halfway through the first semester and things are looking up.

I'm going to MRM(ASP Mid-year meeting) in a week so that should be fun and i'm on the exec. committee of ASP and doing this service learning project which UT has set-up. But it counts as elective credit, which is really good.

I hope everybody has a good rest of the semester!

I have found it very hard to keep up with all of my classes. My hardest classes are Pharmacology, Med Chem, and Pharmaceutics. I try not to get stressed out, but my grades aren't what I would like them to be. I don't hear any of the other people in my class having a problem, so it's nice to see that I'm not alone when I visited this forum. I wish everyone good luck with the rest of their P1 year!!!

krisbits said:
I have found it very hard to keep up with all of my classes. My hardest classes are Pharmacology, Med Chem, and Pharmaceutics. I try not to get stressed out, but my grades aren't what I would like them to be. I don't hear any of the other people in my class having a problem, so it's nice to see that I'm not alone when I visited this forum. I wish everyone good luck with the rest of their P1 year!!!

krisbits-

what school do you go to??

krisbits said:

they are mainly liars... they are having problems too....

during my 1st year you would have thought everyone made straight 100s... by now we all know we all make straight Cs/Ds

Members don't see this ad :)
krisbits said:

Krisbits---
I don't know if we go to the same school or not, but I am taking classes identical to yours (in addition to some others). I feel your pain and just know that you are not alone. I knew that pharmacy school would not be easy, but I have been having such a problem with time management. I was upset in the beginning of the semester, because all of these people were saying how easy the exams were and I was not doing as well as I thought I should. Now, some of those people bragging about how "easy" everything was are scared that they are not going to pass. Good luck to you and hang in there---the semester's almost over!

hannele said:
Krisbits---
I don't know if we go to the same school or not, but I am taking classes identical to yours (in addition to some others). I feel your pain and just know that you are not alone. I knew that pharmacy school would not be easy, but I have been having such a problem with time management. I was upset in the beginning of the semester, because all of these people were saying how easy the exams were and I was not doing as well as I thought I should. Now, some of those people bragging about how "easy" everything was are scared that they are not going to pass. Good luck to you and hang in there---the semester's almost over!

That was the same way in my school. Before I entered pharmacy school, my friend who was already in it told me how easy pharmacy school was and yet later on, I found out that he was studying a good five hours a day monday through friday when he was in P1. I would take anything that a pharmacy students saids with a little grain of salt. There are only a handful of super bright students in each class that would find pharmacy school easy. For the most part, most students have to put in a good 3 to 5 hours a day in studying just to keep up. Good luck to you and sorry to have to tell you, but it only gets worse. But you get use to the fast pace of everything after a while.
It also depends on the strength of the students. For me, I was better at the science part and enjoy the science classes a lot more than the clinical. I always struggle on every clinical question, but when it comes to med chem, I caught on faster than most of the students in my class.

First quarter is going alright. Very busy, we just completed about 4-6 weeks of testing per week and have a few weeks until final exams. The material is interesting but physical chemistry is rather cumbersome. Although we touch briefly on its applications to pharmacy and medications in general, most in class feel it is useless. I enjoy it nonetheless despite these issues.

Other classes such as biopharmaceutics are excellent and their applications are obvious. Biostats is very useful and pharmacy practice has focused on OTC's creating a new appreciation for how this is used by the pharmacist and why this information is vital to the patient.

The work has been tough, studying a lot. I was elected APhA-ASP rep and found out that I have to organize a legislative day, where we invite state legislators from Sacto, CA, state board reps, etc. and have them speak on policy or ethics related issues. I am also working on beginning a UCSF Bioethics Org, where we wish to have panels or some type of conference on issues from religious views on stem cell research to ethical discussions on pharmacy topics such as the right of pharmacists to refuse to dispense and want to include all other UCSF schools. I just finished a "I'm Going to College" kids day today, where I helped organize 1st years to present info on the pharmacy profession and how we got into school (other schools presented).

My main emphasis however is trying to start a long term project on HIV drug mgmt. A few of us attended a HIV Forum a month ago that had us totally captivated with this area of healthcare. We heard speakers who are developing vaccines, activists trying to make us understand that the fight for AIDS is not over and that information has radically decreased across the nation, and about a few pharmacy students doing everything from going to Africa to study bioavailability for protease inhibitor generics to working at OneWorldHealth non profit pharmaceutical co in India. But we found that SF Gen Hospital is lacking in a drug adherence program, so we thought we could help in some way. Since we're P1's this is not possible now, but our professor feels we could do other things in HIV healthcare. So we hope to have this project started next quarter.

Needless to say, I am pretty busy and I am finding all the research that surrounds me on a daily basis to be intoxicating. UCSF is definitely giving me opps I wanted, so I am very happy with my peers, professors, and the overall community. San Fran isn't so bad either. :)

Happy I could review the quarter thus far. It's great to hear we're all going through the same problems (long hours!!!)

Can't wait for December.
I'd like to know of the types of classes people are taking too, post some of this information.

First quarter is officially over. I ended up with 2 A's, one B+, one B, and one B- (I don't really like the +/- deal that they use at my school). Considering that I got hit with some extremely bad news the week before finals, I think I did okay.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
My ex husband was killed in a car accident on halloween, and one of his best friends is now in jail for intoxicated manslaughter. It's overwhelming, and I'm feeling so many emotions at once...sadness, guilt, anger, fear. I had to go back to El Paso for a few days so that my children and I could attend his funeral services. They are 5 and 7, and they're coping much better than I. I think it's because they believe that he's in heaven with Jesus, and to them, that's not such a bad thing. I, on the other hand can't truly accept that. I think I'm still in a state of denial. I keep wishing for some kind of sign to let me know he's okay, but have received none. Every time the phone rings, I think maybe it's him, and I can yell at him one more time for something stupid he said, lol. That's how it was supposed to be. He was supposed to be a thorn in my side forever. I took it for granted. I think I hated him as much as I loved him, but I never wished him dead. I'm haunted with memories, good and bad, and with regrets of things past, and with the image of him laying in that casket. I?m haunted by our last conversation we had a week before he died, in which he was apologizing for everything, and I told him I didn?t think I could ever forgive him. When he was lying there in eternal sleep, I told him I was sorry too, and that I did forgive him; I don?t know if he heard me. It gets a little better everyday, but I don't know if I'll ever truly be ok.

When I got back, I had to study for all my finals. All of my professors were pretty understanding. I was able to take my phys and biochem finals late, but I might as well have taken them on time and guessed at the multiple choice questions bc I couldn't concentrate on studying anyway. I'm off for two weeks now, then I go back for physiology II, biochem II, pharmaceutics II, research methods & epidemiology, and intro to professional practice II. At one point last week I wasn't sure if I was coming back to school. I wanted to just be happy with what I have, and get a job, and spend time with my kids, and live for the moment not the future, because I fear that I'm taking it for granted that my kids and I will be around for another three years. But I know I must go back for the sake of their future.

Best wishes for everyone, and hang in there!

I am so sorry to hear Roxy.....I can't even imagine the pain of going through that during school. The very best of luck to you

i am so sorry to hear that has happend...thoughts are with you...thanks for sharing with all of us...puts many things like our past relationships into perspective...thank you.

That has to be so hard. I'm sorry for your loss. Even when you're divorced, part of your life was with that person and that won't ever be forgotten.

My thoughts are with you and your children. :(

Finals are almost here! I can't believe we're almost done with our first semester. This semester has been a busy one but has gone by quickly! How many finals do you guys have? I have 5 cummulative I believe.

I'm another one that can't believe finals are already here. We still have another week of class, but then finals are upon us. I hope that next semester goes by as fast as this one has for me. We just have 3 in class finals and the other 2 are takehome/online type finals. Sometimes I think I'd rather take it in class since the take home style always seems much more difficult.

We'll actually be starting our 2nd quarter tomorrow. Break went WAY too quickly! :(

The semester has dwiddled down for us. We will have our 1st FINAL EXAM TOMORROW!!! I am not ready...eeek!

One final exam way with being done with PChem. Good grief. =)

Well, can you say what a ride it has been? We have 2 tests this week to finish up the semester, then over the next 7 days we have 4 cumulative finals. I am ready for the break just to relax and catch up w/ personal stuff. I agree with the others it has been a rough semester and those who believe it is easy have; 1. Taken the class before or 2. Just plain smart. But I hear that after the first 1 or 2 semesters that a more "common sense" or you might say "the bigger picture" thinking takes place. I imagine the people doing well on the book stuff might not do as well in the other stuff. Just my opinion. Yes there will be those who do everything and yea for them, but for some that i know they have never stepped foot in a pharmacy except to pick up something. Good Luck everyone on your exams and have a safe holiday break if you have one, if not have fun in class.

Who is the freakin' genius who came up with our exam/final schedule ending our semester with 3 exams and 6 finals over the next 12 days! :eek:

LOL! I have 4 finals starting the 13th! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! it is so hard to study! i have no motivation what so ever!

Finals have officially ended. Hope everyone who is also finished did well and good luck to those who are still in the middle of finals or gearing up for the final run.

Lexian said:
Finals have officially ended. Hope everyone who is also finished did well and good luck to those who are still in the middle of finals or gearing up for the final run.

OH YOU SUCK!!! SO JEALOUS!! sorry for the caps. :smuggrin:

kwakster928 said:
OH YOU SUCK!!! SO JEALOUS!! sorry for the caps. :smuggrin:

Hah! There were times last week where I would be sitting in the frigid library (they always have the AC on, no matter how cold outside it is) at 11:30pm and daydream about doing nothing. I wanted to do anything but study it felt like. I think I had the same daydream halfway through my last final (which was Biostats, which of course is the epitome of boredom).

we finished last week....it was pretty intense!

So glad to just kick it and play video games

good luck to all those with exams!

I am not even close to being done...Pharmaceutics final tomorrow, 2 more thursday and friday and then 2 next week......life starts again on Dec. 15th

I'm second year, sorry for barging in your thread!

I have my last regular Med Chem exam on Wednesday (the 8th). My first final is Saturday at 10am, then I have them on Monday - Thursday. The one on Thursday is Med Chem and is optional. I'm not planning on taking it, so I'll be done on the 16th!

I had a Dosage Forms exam last night and I have a Biochem exam tomorrow. Then next monday I have a Physiological Basis of Disease final exam and then on tuesday a Dosage Forms final. I'm not really done yet either but it's definatley around the corner! Then a wonderful 2 1/2 week break.

Spring quarter is almost over! :eek: :clap: Finals are next week, then we have a week off, and summer quarter starts 5/31. I'm glad to be done with all the basic science and intro courses. Goodbye immunology, microbiology, intro to professional practice, and interdisciplinary healthcare! I'm looking forward to getting into some in-depth pharm knowledge! And I'm looking forward to my rotations in the Fall. Two more years to go. :D

Roxicet said:
Spring quarter is almost over! :eek: :clap: Finals are next week, then we have a week off, and summer quarter starts 5/31. I'm glad to be done with all the basic science and intro courses. Goodbye immunology, microbiology, intro to professional practice, and interdisciplinary healthcare! I'm looking forward to getting into some in-depth pharm knowledge! And I'm looking forward to my rotations in the Fall. Two more years to go. :D
Same here...two more years to go :clap:
My spring semester (UOP) just started 2 weeks ago. We're taking:
Disease processes: doesn't seem too bad so far
Mechanism of drug action: very interesting pharm-related stuff but getting harder
Pharmacokinetics: on 2nd cmpt models now (did 1 cmpt beginning of last semester)
Pharm Systems and experience: same old tedious stuff, easy though

What are you guys taking this summer at Glendale?

Goodluck with finals :luck:

rxgal8 said:
What are you guys taking this summer at Glendale?

...according to the curriculum we enrolled under, or the 'updated' version they just sprung on us?

pharmaz88 said:
...according to the curriculum we enrolled under, or the 'updated' version they just sprung on us?
uh oh, everytime they update something... :scared:

Roxicet said:

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This summer at MWU-glendale we will have pharm law, kinetics, applied pharmacy care 2, and integrated sequence 2 - infectious diseases. Oh yeah, I forgot our new class, the change to our curriculum we learned about through rushed emails about 3 weeks ago, the service learning do-gooder class (former elective). Just a great precedent to start, allowing people to change degree requirements mid program. What amazes me is how many people in our class don't seem to care.

My first two quarters I was very happy here at MWU. This quarter the schedule started to get messed with, a crappy mon & fri test schedule along with hours of dead time in the middle of days instead of a condensed block. This quarter has sucked, and now with summer being messed with, a traditionally hard qtr to begin with, I am not looking forward to it. I want to get it over with, but not excited about it.

Jeddevil said:
This summer at MWU-glendale we will have pharm law, kinetics, applied pharmacy care 2, and integrated sequence 2 - infectious diseases. Oh yeah, I forgot our new class, the change to our curriculum we learned about through rushed emails about 3 weeks ago, the service learning do-gooder class (former elective). Just a great precedent to start, allowing people to change degree requirements mid program. What amazes me is how many people in our class don't seem to care.

My first two quarters I was very happy here at MWU. This quarter the schedule started to get messed with, a crappy mon & fri test schedule along with hours of dead time in the middle of days instead of a condensed block. This quarter has sucked, and now with summer being messed with, a traditionally hard qtr to begin with, I am not looking forward to it. I want to get it over with, but not excited about it.

Just remember this when they come asking us for money as alumni. :)

off2skl said:
Just remember this when they come asking us for money as alumni. :)

Just know that plenty of people from the classes ahead of you feel the same way. There have always been issues with the schedules. I believe the new dean had something to do with the delay in coordinating the schedule.... And if the law class is the same this upcoming year, be ready to hit the ground running...furious note taking on the first day.

Anyone else done with their first year?? There are no words to express how happy I am to be done!
Best of luck to those who are still taking finals and finishing up the semester.

I just finished my last week of classes.. next week is finals week. I've got Microbio on Monday, Drug Structure Tuesday, Therapeutics Wednesday, Pharmaceutics Thursday, and Drug Lit and IPE on Friday. It's going to be a rough week!

I hope PS2 year flies buy just like this year did!