Oversupply in GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following is a quote from the cardiology forum. Do you see an oversupply situation like this in the future for GI? I am an MS3

"There is no question that there is (and has been) an oversupply of interventionalists with far too many low volume operators out there doing <50 PCI/year (many at "top institutions").
However, there will be no decrease in supply any time soon due to demand for fellow labor (inpatient cardiology is labor intensive at academic centers) and seemingly limitless GME funding (see below).
Many procedural advanced fellowships are sponsored by industry.
Ultimately industry wins when there is an oversupply of proceduralists due to provider-induced demand.
The same is true for EP.
The field of Cardiology in general is heading towards oversupply but this is especially true for EP/IC.
I am glad I secured a job in a great location and good salary but not sure this will be possible in 5 years (most partners are young in group)."

Do you see an oversupply situation like this in the future for GI?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Weren’t you interested in Cardiology like you mentioned in that other thread where you were taking my sarcasm literally? Just do what you like and stop hedging your bets. SDN is not going to be able to predict this one way or another. Cardiology has a bright future still.

Reactions: 1 users
The following is a quote from the cardiology forum. Do you see an oversupply situation like this in the future for GI? I am an IM PGY1 so 6 years until attending

"There is no question that there is (and has been) an oversupply of interventionalists with far too many low volume operators out there doing <50 PCI/year (many at "top institutions").
However, there will be no decrease in supply any time soon due to demand for fellow labor (inpatient cardiology is labor intensive at academic centers) and seemingly limitless GME funding (see below).
Ultimately industry wins when there is an oversupply of proceduralists due to provider-induced demand.
The same is true for EP.
The field of Cardiology in general is heading towards oversupply but this is especially true for EP/IC.
I am glad I secured a job in a great location and good salary but not sure this will be possible in 5 years (most partners are young in group)."

No one has a crystal ball.

Members don't see this ad :)
The following is a quote from the cardiology forum. Do you see an oversupply situation like this in the future for GI? I am an IM PGY1 so 6 years until attending

The same is true for EP.

Cardiology has 2x the number of seats that GI has every year. I wouldn’t worry in your lifetime. As long as GI remains competitive, it’s good for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk like this has been going on in various specialties in medicine for 30 years. Technology advances and keeps doctors busy. For cardiology this includes things like Mitraclips, TAVRs, expanding indications for PCI, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk like this has been going on in various specialties in medicine for 30 years. Technology advances and keeps doctors busy. For cardiology this includes things like Mitraclips, TAVRs, expanding indications for PCI, etc.

Likewise cardiologists are front-line physicians and as such play a role in their own demand. It is well studied that for better or worse, supply of cardiologists correlates with cath volume, and there is always general cardiology to fall back on. As more and more PCPs become NPs/PAs, there will be more and more referrals for routine BP CAD management, etc.

So an oversupply of interventionalists, might mean that overall cath volumes are up while average cath volumes per doc go down and they supplement with more general cardiology. Not ideal, but hardly catastrophic. It isn't comparable to specialties like ED or Radonc or path that are "end of the referral chain" specialties and are much more sensitive to labor supply.

Reactions: 1 users