Overrated and Underrated Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ukdoc74

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talked to some of my heme onc fellow friends and asked about overrated programs and underrated programs due to poor location, faculty, and /or IM residency programs reputation.

Please feel free to add to this list. Don't shoot the messenger.

Underrated

USF
UTAH
Rochester
UTSW
Wisconsin
Indiana
Ohio St
Fox Chase

Overrated

Vanderbilt
Duke
Florida
Baylor
Pittsburgh
Cleveland Clinic
UCLA
UAB

Members don't see this ad.

The above list is from friends/colleagues/heme onc fellows at my home program (large university program) Since the match is sealed.

Anyone willing to share information about programs that really surprised you in the interview trail.

If you want to just focus on underrated programs thàt is understandable.

Thank you very much in advance.

Fellowship applicants of 2013 would deeply appreciate this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking to some of my Chicago peeps, a lot of people shook down the Chicago programs like this:

1. UofC
2. Northwestern
3. Loyola
4. UIC
5. Rush
6. LGH
7. Cook County

BUMP

Please help out this year's applicants for overrated and underrated programs.

What are some programs you were impressed with or not impressed with during your interview season?

Thank you very much for your help.

can you please be more specific about what they're overrated and underrated for? Tks.
Underrated

USF
UTAH
Rochester
UTSW
Wisconsin
Indiana
Ohio St
Fox Chase

Overrated

Vanderbilt
Duke
Florida
Baylor
Pittsburgh
Cleveland Clinic
UCLA
UAB

is OHSU underrated? especially in BMT since UW gets most of the attention in the Pacific Northwest?

What are these overrated/underrated rankings based on? I feel like for heme-onc (and most other fellowships in general), rankings are even more subjective than for residency rankings and depend heavily on what you want to focus on during fellowship.

Case Western seems to be an up and coming program with their newish Cancer center. Is the CCF program sorta of like their residency program: Big name in the publc, but not so great for academia?

Case Western seems to be an up and coming program with their newish Cancer center.

I'm not an insider at all, but in my limited experience from talking to other fellows, Case Western seems like a great program for training. They have excellent leadership and Seidman has a lot of money, in a significant growth phase. Cleveland clinic has a big name, more patient volume, I understand the training is also good.

Does anyone have any info on Orlando Health/MD anderson? I have a lot of ties to Florida, so USF and Orlando health are 2 places that I am really interested in.

Does anyone have any info on Orlando Health/MD anderson? I have a lot of ties to Florida, so USF and Orlando health are 2 places that I am really interested in.
i have the same question. I think USF is a much better program than Orlando Health/MD Anderson. I heard that you will have to go to Texas for the BMT experiences if you go to Orland Health.

Members don't see this ad :)
From talking to the senior fellows. Moffitt is a much stronger program. Orlando has a great brand name with MD Anderson but it seems like most fellows would rank USF above Orlando if given a choice.

As for Case vs Cleveland Clinic. Apparently they both are outstanding according to senior fellows. It boils down to individual choice since Case also has exposure to VA and County Hospital. CCF will not require as much driving to different sites. Also one can argue Cleveland Clinic has a stronger brand name but Case is not too far behind.

I can't really comment on the program per se, but I know several of the faculty there and they are phenomenal. It's a huge place and the top oncology program in Ohio.
ahead of Cleveland?

would you care to elaborate? 'cuz I thought Cleveland Clinic is a much bigger place with more money, funding, etc.. reputation similar to that of MD Anderson. R u referring to the training? Hem/Onc exposure? Opportunities? Mentorship?

would you care to elaborate? 'cuz I thought Cleveland Clinic is a much bigger place with more money, funding, etc.. reputation similar to that of MD Anderson. R u referring to the training? Hem/Onc exposure? Opportunities? Mentorship?

CCF's cardiology rep is similar to MDACC's oncology rep.

CCF's cardiology rep is similar to MDACC's oncology rep.
ok. i agree CCF's oncology rep is not where MDAA's oncology rep is.. but more people outside of Ohio heard of CCF than OSU. I'm just curious to see why you think OSU is better than CCF.

ok. i agree CCF's oncology rep is not where MDAA's oncology rep is.. but more people outside of Ohio heard of CCF than OSU. I'm just curious to see why you think OSU is better than CCF.

Heard the same thing from people about Ohio State > CCF. It also depends on specific modalities. For example, I heard malignant Heme and GI is extremely strong at OSU compared to CCF. At the end of the day, most people consider both outstanding programs and it really boils down to Columbus vs Cleveland for who to rank higher.

Sometimes we think of national brandnames and automatically assume that they are strong in oncology such as Orlando Health because of the name MD Anderson. On the other hand, how many medical students think of places like University of Minnesota as a powerhouse?

Last edited:
Heard the same thing from people about Ohio State > CCF. It also depends on specific modalities. For example, I heard malignant Heme and GI is extremely strong at OSU compared to CCF. At the end of the day, they are both outstanding programs and it really boils down to Columbus vs Cleveland for who to rank higher.

Sometimes we think of national brandnames and automatically assume that they are strong in oncology such as Orlando Health MD Anderson. On the other hand, how many medical students think of places like University of Minnesota as a powerhouse?
i agree that malignant heme is much stronger at Ohio than CCF. BTW, Univiersity of Minnesota is very very strong in Heme/BMT. Orlando Health MD Anderson is not quite the same brand name as Jacksonville Mayo Clinic. There isn't much different b/t the 2 Mayo Clinics but there's a HUGE different b/t Orland Health MDACC and MDACC itself. BTW, OSU is definitely an underrated program compare to CCF.

i agree that malignant heme is much stronger at Ohio than CCF. BTW, Univiersity of Minnesota is very very strong in Heme/BMT. Orlando Health MD Anderson is not quite the same brand name as Jacksonville Mayo Clinic. There isn't much different b/t the 2 Mayo Clinics but there's a HUGE different b/t Orland Health MDACC and MDACC itself.

Agree. This is why it is so important to actually visit some of these places because they don't have a perceived strong brand name for training in Heme/Onc because the associated internal medicine residency brand name isn't as strong. For example, some gems that I heard about are Colorado, Utah, and Wake Forest.

Agree. This is why it is so important to actually visit some of these places because they don't have a perceived strong brand name for training in Heme/Onc because the associated internal medicine residency brand name isn't as strong. For example, some gems that I heard about are Colorado, Utah, and Wake Forest.
very true about these gems.

i agree that malignant heme is much stronger at Ohio than CCF. BTW, Univiersity of Minnesota is very very strong in Heme/BMT. Orlando Health MD Anderson is not quite the same brand name as Jacksonville Mayo Clinic. There isn't much different b/t the 2 Mayo Clinics but there's a HUGE different b/t Orland Health MDACC and MDACC itself. BTW, OSU is definitely an underrated program compare to CCF.

It's a little early to be that drunk.

There are 3 Mayo's BTW. Actually, one Mayo and two Miracle Whips. Mayo Jax and Scottsdale are light years away from Real Mayo.

It's a little early to be that drunk.

There are 3 Mayo's BTW. Actually, one Mayo and two Miracle Whips. Mayo Jax and Scottsdale are light years away from Real Mayo.
i intentionally left May Scotdale, AZ out since I only wanted to make the comparison b/t the 2 brand name clinics in Florida with the real one in Rochester and Houston. it's all relatively speaking but you get the point about the quality of the two cloned programs in Fl. With Orlando MD Anderson, you would have to go to Houston for your BMT rotation during your fellowship but you don't have to do that at Mayo Jacksonville.

Thoughts on Ohio state?

While I can't endorse any statement that Ohio state is superior to the other center centers in OH, I can offer a few comments. Based in part on interview experience a few years ago. The fellows took no mandatory call. There were moonlighting opportunities. Their leadership in malignant hematology is well-known nationally. From a research standpoint, they have a type of K12 program, and were connected well with NCI, for example in the U01 and N01 programs. Their fellows attend national conferences regularly, and get competitive training grants. The percentage of fellows entering academia vs. private practice was well-balanced. Hope this helps.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree with some of the "overrated" programs. Having extensively interviewed in the South, I thought that Duke and Vanderbilt were exceptionally good programs.

Talked to some of my heme onc fellow friends and asked about overrated programs and underrated programs due to poor location, faculty, and /or IM residency programs reputation.

Please feel free to add to this list. Don't shoot the messenger.

Underrated

USF
UTAH
Rochester
UTSW
Wisconsin
Indiana
Ohio St
Fox Chase

Overrated

Vanderbilt
Duke
Florida
Baylor
Pittsburgh
Cleveland Clinic
UCLA
UAB

I know that Utah was mentioned above as an underrated program, but is somebody willing to share the details about that program? It appears to be an excellent academic program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user