Only applying to 6 heme-onc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to geographical limitations, I can only go to 6 programs. 2 are top tier academic, 2 are mid-tier academic (one is my home program) and 2 are community programs.

I am a US allopathic coming from a mid-tier IM residency. Average scores. Average research/pubs. I am very confident that I can get into my home program as the PD historically ranks all of our IM applicants very highly.

Is this plan asinine? due to family reasons, I cannot leave my current area and these 6 are the only ones within 50 miles of each other.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to geographical limitations, I can only go to 6 programs. 2 are top tier academic, 2 are mid-tier academic (one is my home program) and 2 are community programs.

I am a US allopathic coming from a mid-tier IM residency. Average scores. Average research/pubs. I am very confident that I can get into my home program as the PD historically ranks all of our IM applicants very highly.
Is this plan asinine? due to family reasons, I cannot leave my current area and these 6 are the only ones within 50 miles of each other.

I only applied to 9 and went on 8 interviews, ranked 6. I was also at a mid tier program but was a chief and had several publications. It’s a tough call but if you won’t even consider the possibility of ending up elsewhere (as was the case for me and staying in NYC) then just make sure you make it known to your home program how happy you would be to remain there

I wouldn't recommend this plan, but it's clear that it's what you're going to do so I'm not sure anyone's opinion is going to matter.

I applied 10, got 8 interviews and went on 6. Matched #1. You'll probably be just fine. The good news is that, if you don't match, you can just do PCP or hospitalist where you are and not have to move.

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed at 6 (4 fancy-pantsy, 2 middle-tier) and matched, but was nervous about it. Mediocre numbers but good residency and research and a winning smile

I’m with gutonc here, I wouldn’t recommend this plan but if that’s what you’re gonna do then ok. The latest charting outcomes (2 years old I believe) puts USMDs with 6 ranked programs around 90% match rate but that is assuming you get an interview everywhere you apply and of course everybody is different. I’m not sure what the point of this thread is if you truly can’t do anything else.

You'll be fine. Just be glad that you have 6 programs in your small radius. In the midwest, that would typically be 1 program.