Outpatient career after "neurohospitalist"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProffesorOakDO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how feasible it would be to do an unspecified amount of years in neruohospitalist and then transition to a more outpatient neurology. NH is 7on-7 off typically which can wear you down after several years...
I also feel like both are kinda different and tend to see different things.

Members don't see this ad.

Very doable. I’ve seen few make such transition. I think I will do that at some point down the line too.

Doing the opposite (outpatient to inpatient) may not be as smooth of a transition, but I also know someone who did that. Transitioned from doing outpatient, mainly headache, to inpatient general neuro. It was a very bumpy start but it got better.

Hello, I was wondering how feasible it would be to do an unspecified amount of years in neruohospitalist and then transition to a more outpatient neurology. NH is 7on-7 off typically which can wear you down after several years...
I also feel like both are kinda different and tend to see different things.
Does NH really have to be so demanding though? I mean, at my place during the “on” weeks there are 3 neuro hospitalists serving a few hospitals, and on the weekends one of them takes call for all the hospitals, and the other two come in at 7, round by 11-12 and leave (and don’t take call on weekends). I don’t think that’s a particularly demanding schedule overall especially with resident coverage.

I can see myself doing subspecialty clinic/EMG but general outpatient neuro outside of headache (which is weird but I like headaches and Botox/nerve blocks) is not fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very doable. I’ve seen few make such transition. I think I will do that at some point down the line too.

Doing the opposite (outpatient to inpatient) may not be as smooth of a transition, but I also know someone who did that. Transitioned from doing outpatient, mainly headache, to inpatient general neuro. It was a very bumpy start but it got better.
I wonder if this is a mutual friend. In the Carolinas by any chance?