Neurohospitalist compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pityfly

Reaction score
Neurohospitalist compensation question

I was offered a Neurohospitalist position in Northeast. 280K with a 21K quality incentive bonus and RVU incentive bonus. I will be doing 27 weeks inpatient, no outpatient, 12 weeks/weekend stroke call and 5 weekends on general neurology call. It is academic and has residency program so I will have teaching responsibilities.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks crappy to me. Very crappy

It would be palatable without the stroke call

I’d ask for at least 500 dollar per stroke night you’re holding the pager.

Need more info- 27 weeks inpatient- Im assuming that is a 5 day week?.How many hours/patients per day?
And additional 12 weeks of stroke call- 24/7 for a week or less? Also are residents doing prerounding and your notes? In general, NE jobs pay less, esp if academic.

Any night call during the week? I assume there will always be residents to triage pager and write notes? Average census? I'm sure it's busy.

So, 5 months of 1 weekend/month, and 7 months of 2 weekends/month. It's very clinically heavy. 27 weeks is a lot, but better if there's no night coverage.

From a salary perspective, this is probably above average for northeast, is it that bad Alnafis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any night call during the week? I assume there will always be residents to triage pager and write notes? Average census? I'm sure it's busy.

So, 5 months of 1 weekend/month, and 7 months of 2 weekends/month. It's very clinically heavy. 27 weeks is a lot, but better if there's no night coverage.

From a salary perspective, this is probably above average for northeast, is it that bad Alnafis?
The way I understood the OPs post is,
It’s a 27 week/year NH job. Kinda 7/7 except he/she would be doing one extra week on. Of those, 12 weeks they’d be covering stroke call and another 5 gen neuro call.

That’s a lot of work, specially the call load. That’s almost a q3 call responsibility year round.

I read once that the average pay for holding the pager at night was $500. That’s including stroke and non-stroke

If we apply this rate for the amount of stroke call the OP is going to be doing, that’s 108 x 500 = 54k

They’ll also going to be working 27 weeks, that’s 189 days. That means the pay per day is $1217 after taking out the $54k for the stroke call coverage.

Very low imo. My IM hospitalists friends are being paid more than that rate without having to take any night call, at academic hospitals.

But also I work in a community hospital, so I am not well-versed on the financial abuse that takes place in academia

Reactions: 1 user
The way I understood the OPs post is,
It’s a 27 week/year NH job. Kinda 7/7 except he/she would be doing one extra week on. Of those, 12 weeks they’d be covering stroke call and another 5 gen neuro call.

That’s a lot of work, specially the call load. That’s almost a q3 call responsibility year round.

I read once that the average pay for holding the pager at night was $500. That’s including stroke and non-stroke

If we apply this rate for the amount of stroke call the OP is going to be doing, that’s 108 x 500 = 54k

They’ll also going to be working 27 weeks, that’s 189 days. That means the pay per day is $1217 after taking out the $54k for the stroke call coverage.

Very low imo. My IM hospitalists friends are being paid more than that rate without having to take any night call, at academic hospitals.

I agree, I might've misunderstood, I think OP needs to clarify the call coverage. I'm assuming they are checking out at 4pm on the non-stroke weeks and leaving nights to someone else.

Covering the stroke attending pager 24/7 for 12 weeks at an academic medical center (which is probably a CSC) is fair workload. You're easily being awoken for several stroke alerts every night. Lucky nights 0-1, many nights 2, 3, 4. Why isn't there a stroke team with it's own stroke attending?

Overall, this is seems very clinically heavy for an academic division for under 300k, and why 27 weeks? It's a little odd to me, almost like they are rubbing it in that you're working > 1/2 the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Call schedule is 12 weeks and weekends day and night same for general call. I do not have to come to the hospital at night because the residents are there but I do get called over the phone. Its busy. Community hospital but also academic.