Academic Neurohospitalist Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Come at Me Bro!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I recently got a job offer in NY (Western Long Island) as a neurohospitalist at major academic institution. 7 on/7 off schedule with 1 week spent on one location with supervising residents and 1 week as neurohospitalist at a different location. The initial offer as base salary is $240,000. Was wondering if this is reasonable. It seems that AAN Benchmark data shows that Northeastern region academic neurohospitalists averages $280,000.

Members don't see this ad.

That's how it is in NY, I guess. You could ask for higher but if you're academic you're kind of screwed since it's likely tied to professorship rank (assistant/associate/full), plus I wouldn't imagine they'd be too short on people wanting to work there.

Anywhere else that's a very, very, VERY low pay for outpatient, let alone inpatient.

any PTO? Any RVU bonus?

Without any of the above, it’s a lowball offer even in academia

A friend of mine just signed for an academic NH job. Same salary be he also gets 3 weeks of PTO. Like that he ends up working only 23 weeks a year. Also he has a an RVU bonus built in. He will also be doing only gen neuro. No stroke or stoke call.

Members don't see this ad :)
any PTO? Any RVU bonus?

Without any of the above, it’s a lowball offer even in academia

A friend of mine just signed for an academic NH job. Same salary be he also gets 3 weeks of PTO. Like that he ends up working only 23 weeks a year. Also he has a an RVU bonus built in. He will also be doing only gen neuro. No stroke or stoke call.
Where is this job located?

It’s ~$260k+ bonuses for academic NH jobs here in the Midwest, but there is no PTO, so the offer is similar to your friend’s. If they’re in NE or west though, imo sounds like a great deal

In my region which is very HCOL, 240 would be above average for academia. You would definitely get PTO weeks at my shop though. 26 weeks is a very full load so be critical about the call you'll be asked to do.

Last edited:
Where is this job located?

It’s ~$260k+ bonuses for academic NH jobs here in the Midwest, but there is no PTO, so the offer is similar to your friend’s. If they’re in NE or west though, imo sounds like a great deal
In one of the largest non-costal cities in the South

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for the responses. The position is located in long island NY (30 min east from Manhattan). It does offer 4 weeks of PTO and productivity bonus (have not gone over yet). It is a clinical track with no separate teaching/research duties, simply 1 week of teaching/supervising resident at one hospital per month and 1 week of working by myself at another hospital.

Eh that's not too bad if after all is said and done you're over 300k at least.

thank you for the responses. The position is located in long island NY (30 min east from Manhattan). It does offer 4 weeks of PTO and productivity bonus (have not gone over yet). It is a clinical track with no separate teaching/research duties, simply 1 week of teaching/supervising resident at one hospital per month and 1 week of working by myself at another hospital.
Then very reasonable imo