Other Plastics forums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you knew about any forums such as orthogate or otomatch.com, but for PRS. Its such a small community, I would be interested to see if anything else existed. Ive searched around a lot on google and found nothing substantial

Members don't see this ad.

The reason I ask is because I am having a difficult time gauging where I stand as an applicant for the highly competitive integrated plastics program. I have looked at the NRMP stats, but its always better imo to be able to discuss the topic with people who have matched

there was a website called plasticseducation.com but it seems to be down.
the info it provided was a bit superficial and biased. it wasn't as good as dermboard for example.

to match into plastic surgery, it's ideal to have it all: high class rank/aoa; step 1 score at least 1 stand dev. above the mean, preferably two; honors in all clinical rotations; any kind of basic science or clinical research that is published by the time you interview (you get more props if you're published in high impact journals or worked with big plast surg researchers); most importantly, strong letters of rec from the most well known plastic surgeons; the only way to really get in is with connections and the big names batting for you. if you happen to go to a med school with big name faculty, then away rotations aren't as essential, but if you go to a place with a weak/lesser known plastic surgery program, you'll have to do away rotations or years of research to acquire these letters.

you have to keep in mind that there are applicants out there who are first rank in their class, got a 275+ board score, have 20 pubs in prs or major journals, and have letters of rec from the most well known plastic surgeons saying things like "best med stud i've ever worked with." to top it off some of these applicants have amazing stories: div 1 all american athlete, rhodes scholar. it's truly a humbling process. the key is to do the best you can and follow what biggie says at the beginning of "my first song" by jay-z and pray that everything works out. at the end of the day, all of the applicants are similar on paper, but they all have different personalities. you'll have to come across a program on the interview trail that you connect with and feel would be a good match for you.