General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi does anyone know if San Jose will take your highest GRE scores if you take it again? I want to retake it to do better on my writing score, but I'm worried if I do my other scores could go down and it would defeat the purpose of taking it again lol

Hi! I emailed them about this and they said they take the highest score from each test

Members don't see this ad.

hey! yeah during the info session for CSUDH she said the higher gre the better so I was slightly worried lol. but best of luck to you!! I decided to apply regardless and submitted my applications a week before they were due. I wish they admitted more students in their cohort /: it just gets more competitive. but I'm planning to reatake my GRE by November for other colleges if I don't get accepted to CSUDH

I was really hoping not to take again, do you think you would be able to improve a lot if you did retake it? I feel like I studied so much the first time lol. When will you hear back from CSUDH?

Reactions: 1 user
University: University of California San Diego
Major: BS in Public Health/ business minor
GPA: 3.62
Prerequisite gpa: should be 3.7-3.8 when I finish physio
GRE: 159v 155q 4.5 AWA
Letters: 2 from OT's I shadowed, one from my University research supervisor
Shadowing: 150 hours- 31 hours in a preschool, 54 hours in an outpatient pediatric clinic, 66 hours in skilled hand therapy clinic
Extracurriculars: VP of service for my schools pre- OT club, board position in the public health club for a year, 6 month research internship at an exercise physio lab at my school, 2 years working with children with disabilities in respite care, planned parenthood volunteer, 2 years working as a teachers assistant, public health brigade to Honduras (plus fundraising the whole year for the trip)

Applying to: USC, Loma Linda, Stanbridge, St. Augustine, San Jose, Washington U

How can I strengthen my app? Should I retake the GRE to try to get a higher writing score or is verbal/writing more important?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda applicants - have any of you received the supplemental application from the school yet?
hi! my general otcas application was verified on September 9th and LLU sent me supplements on September 17th! Hope this helps!

I just received an acceptance email from the University of Mary Hardin Baylor! :) Can someone let me know if there is a group message with the rest of the cohort? I am moving to Belton so i’d like to know who else would want to room together. :)

Last edited:
Hello, all. I am late to the forum train, however, I decided to make myself an account because I found sharing our stats to be useful.

University: Western Michigan University
Major: Interdisciplinary Health Services
Minor: Gerontology
GPA: 3.62 -- if things go well this semester could be a 3.66
Prereq GPA (depends on what each school requires): 3.73-3.8
GRE: 146, 147 (yes, I understand this is low, I struggle a lot with standardized testing), 4.0 AW
Letters: OT, gerontology professor, adult day supervisor, previous recreational therapist coworker
Shadowing: 60+ hours in AFC, PACE setting, pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient rehab
Extracurriculars: corresponding secretary in Sigma Alpha Iota (international women's music fraternity, spreading music throughout our community through service and sisterhood).
Work experience: 1000+ hours as a care assistant in memory care AFC, 200+ hours as direct support professional in older adult day program

Applying to: St Catherine University, College of St Scholastica, Carroll University, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Indiana State University (perhaps University of Toledo, gone back and forth on it). I am also applying to Western Michigan University's doctorate program -- not on OTCAS, only available through online application. The doctorate program won't be accredited until this December.

Top dream program: Carroll University -- don't know how to explain it, felt a great vibe when I researched the website and when I went to their open house in July. I got to meet the director of the program which really stood out to me.

Also -- I have taken the GRE twice. 290 first time, 293 second time. Should I go for a third? It's hard because with my last semester in college (I graduate in December!!!) when balancing applications, work, school, and my required internship. At times I feel overwhelmed, but still so very excited.

Please let me know if my info is at all decent! I want to give this application period my best shot.

Hi everyone! First time OT applicant! Couple things...

- For anyone who applied to Boston University's OTD program for early decision (deadline Sept. 15), I emailed the program director and she said invitations for December interviews will be sent out Oct. 31!
- I just had my interview with Loma Linda, and the faculty said decisions will be sent out mid-December/January! Has anyone heard of past decision being sent out earlier? Not sure how rolling admissions work, I guess I assumed decision will be sent starting the month they begin interviews.

This whole process is for sure testing my patience haha

Last edited:
Hi everyone! First time OT applicant! Couple things...

- For anyone who applied to Boston University's OTD program for early decision (deadline Sept. 15), I emailed the program director and she said invitations for December interviews will be sent out Oct. 31!
- I just had my interview with Loma Linda, and the faculty said decisions will be sent out mid-December/January! Has anyone heard of past decision being sent out earlier? Not sure how rolling admissions work, I guess I assumed decision will be sent starting the month they begin interviews.

This whole process is for sure testing my patience haha
How did your interview with Loma Linda go? Was it a standard video interview?

How did your interview with Loma Linda go? Was it a standard video interview?

It went well! It was a live Zoom interview with faculty and one other applicant. My friend who applied to LLU last year said this was different than her interview since she didn't have an other applicant interviewing with her. So basically it was a mini group interview. :)

Hello everyone! I'm super excited to be applying to OT schools but I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on my chances of getting into the schools I'm applying to!

School: University of Florida (B.S. in Psychology)
GPA: 3.48
pre-req GPA: 3.46
GRE: 152 V 158 Q 4.5 AW
Volunteering/Observing:
-45 hours in pediatric clinic
-40 hours in different pediatric clinic
-30 hours in NICU
- OT summer program at USC

Job:
-6 years as a day camp counselor
-1 year as a sleep away camp counselor

Letters of Rec:
1 ASL professor, 1 OT from USC, 1 Employer (boss from camp)

Extracurriculars
- in a service fraternity with over 100 hours of service the past 2 semesters
-volunteer in a dementia ward of a nursing home
-volunteer for 3 different organizations with kids
- Historian of the fraternity
- New Initiated Brother Educator of the fraternity
- Service Award for top 10 most service hours in the fraternity
- Dance Marathon Chair for the fraternity

Applying to:
USC (my dream school!), Brunel, NYU, UIC, West Coast U, Washington, Tennessee State, Stanbridge, CSUDH, SJSU

What are my chances mainly of getting into USC, UIC, NYU, and Brunel? but also any info on the others would be great!!

Also I was premed for 2.5 years so I took biology 1 & 2, chemistry 1 &2, physics 1 &2, and organic chemistry 1, which is why my GPA is lower. Do OT schools take that into consideration or am I screwed haha

Thank you!!

Hey guys! I have been following this forum for years now and I’m exited to say I will be applying this year! Here are my stats:

George Mason University
Major: Psychology of Science w/ a concertation in Developmental Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Last 60 credits-3.95
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Taking in October

Observational Hours: 430( 9 different setting)
Hand Therapy: 40 Hours
School Setting: 30 Hours
Acute care: 50 Hours
Pediatric outpatient Setting: 170 hours
OT Peds camp- 30 hours
Hospital Setting (Post- Trauma unit): 30 Hours
Early Intervention: 40 Hours
Hippotherapy: 10 Hours
Outpatient nursing home- 30 hours
Peds outpatient-40 hours
Might do 40 more hours at a hospice center.

Extra Curriculium:
-Rehabilitation club member
-First Generation club member
- Kinesiology club member
-The Society for Collegiate Leadership and Achievement award
-Patriots for Health Assistance member
- Hispanic Student Associates member
-Research assistant 2 semester for a developmental psychology lab
-Research assistant for 1 semester for an industrial psychology lab
-Received a scholarship from the Reston Scholarship Foundation where I become an ambassador, mentored current scholarship recipients, discussed the foundation on the local news and presented at annual meetings.
-Dean’s list every semester
- Fluent Spanish and native Bolivian language (Aymara) speaker

Certificates
- CRP/ BLS certified
-Qualified Mental Health Counselor certified
-Medication administration certified
-PCA certified

Volunteer Hours: Over 4000
- Tutored at-risk youth at Vecinos Unidos
- Taught English classes to Adults for my church
- Taught Bible class for kindergarten age children for my church
- Recreational activities with patients at a local mental health hospital
- Food drives at my church( I did intakes)
- Ran a sensory program for adults with disabilities at SPACs Solution
- Ran an arts and crafts program for a domestic abuse shelter called Artemis House
- Volunteered as front desk helped at a homeless shelter called Embry Rucker Shelter
- Volunteered front desk at a domestic abuse shelter called Artemis House
- Volunteered with Jill's House (I helped the caregivers with the kids)
- Volunteered at my church assisting the children at my church with disabilities
-Volunteered at a local cat shelter
- Advocate got VOICE

Work Experience
- ABA therapist working home, center and school-based
- Care giver to a child with autism
- Occupational Therapist Aide for a Hand Therapy clinic
- Peer mentor to college students with disabilities
- Mental Health Counselor at a group home for adults with Schizophrenia disorders

LOR: 1 from an OT I shadowed, 1 from the supervisor of the special needs program at my church which I volunteered for over 3 years, 1 from my abnormal psychology professor.

Applying: Barry University, SJSU, West Coast university, Townson Univeristy, Howard University, Loma Linda, NYU, Columbia, Trinity Washington, Shenandoah, University of St. Augustine and a couple of more.

I’m a first time applicant and really nervous but excited to get one step closer to becoming an OT! If there is anything else I can do to improve my stats, please let me know. Also working on my personal statement and if anyone could look over it, I would be greatly appreciated.
Wishing everyone good luck and positivity.
Hey I'm applying to St. Augustine in Austin. Which campus are you applying to? I have an interview on October 25th for the 5/11/2020 start. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know if its true that Loma Linda immediately removes any applicant that has a GPA lower than their requirement (3.2 I believe) ? Or do they still look at our letters and background despite a lower GPA? I am at a 3.1 and im worried and that $150 fee has gone down the drain already :(

When did you submit? It took them 8 days to send me a supplemental application so don’t stress out yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really hoping not to take again, do you think you would be able to improve a lot if you did retake it? I feel like I studied so much the first time lol. When will you hear back from CSUDH?

I know it's such a drag to have to study again for it but hopefully the second time around it'd be better ;-; I would talk to some people here and there about the GRE and they said your GRE score can only go so much higher than your first time. but then again that just depends on studying time and strategies. i'm trying to figure out new ways to study especially the vocab section. I received an email mentioning decisions will be made by late November :) hopefully sooner lol.

Also hello everyone! I am applying this cycle and so nervous.. I need this to happen this year and hoping good news for everyone!
Here are my stats:
BA in Intensive Psychology
- Cum GPA 3.10
- Prereq GPA 4.0
- GRE 150 Verbal 156 Quant 3.5 AW (very worried about that AW score, really thought I did better than that)
- LOR from 2 OT's and 1 Behavioral Analyst
- 500 hours inpatient stroke
- 500 hours pediatric clinic
- RBT for over 3 years working with children with autism spectrum disorder
- Been a research assistant in two psychology labs and two occupational science labs/projects

I feel very good about my personal statement and what my background brings to the table. I hope that can surpass my GPA and AW score. I was premed in undergrad at first as some of you were too and struggled with a couple classes so my GPA suffered until I switched to Psychology. I hope my 4.0 in prerequisites make up for it.

Applying for CSUDH, Loma Linda, USC, West Coast, and Stanbridge (is it obvious that I want to stay in so cal?.. hope I am not being too picky with my options).

Should I retake the GRE? It would be my third time then..its so expensive and afraid I'll end up with the same score again. Any pointers would be great!
hey!i'm also attempting to apply to those schools as well and mainly wanting CSUDH. I think your GRE scores are great. I know during the info session at CSUDH they mentioned how they want a 4 in the AWA and the higher the better for their GRE. but i'm also on the same boat with being a point below their verbal score minimum ;-; I personally wouldn't spend another 200 or so on the GRE for the third time because you have great scores and a 4.0 in pre-req. I think USC is okay with a 3.5 writing and the fact that you have a LOT of different hours of experience in multiple settings, i'd hope that they'd highly consider you and not just look at a number of a score. if worse come to worse, getting different LORs from different people like a professor or boss plus an OT

When did you submit? It took them 8 days to send me a supplemental application so don’t stress out yet!
My application got verified on September 27 so I'll stay hopeful to get the supplemental by next week then! thank you!

My application got verified on September 27 so I'll stay hopeful to get the supplemental by next week then! thank you!

And keep in mind that they probably had more applications to review the closer it got to the deadline! Stay positive! (I’m working on my supplemental app now...it’s due on Monday!)

Hi for anyone applying to SJSU, on the graduate application they ask for a statement of purpose, but say if the program doesn't require it then put "not applicable" in the box. I'm not seeing anywhere on the SJSU OT website that we have to write a statement of purpose, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Thanks!

Hi for anyone applying to SJSU, on the graduate application they ask for a statement of purpose, but say if the program doesn't require it then put "not applicable" in the box. I'm not seeing anywhere on the SJSU OT website that we have to write a statement of purpose, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Thanks!
Might they be referring to your personal statement?

School: Queens College
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Shadowing Hours: 110 hours (100 outpatient rehab, 10 pediatric)
Letters of rec from 2 OT's, 1 from my statistics professor.

I am worried about my GPA. I am basically only applying to NYIT, Hofstra (top choice), NYU, and Columbia.
Do you guys think I have hope getting in? I'm really worried!!!
You definitely have hope of getting in- I just got an email from Hofstra today about an interview in November... yay! My GPA is not much higher than yours and you have a great pre-req GPA. When I was on the phone with Hofstra, they told me that they really focus on recommendations and your personal statements. Good luck! :)

Hi guys!
I have recently applied to about 10 schools through OTCAS. So far, I have interviewed at Messiah and have an interview next week at Salus University. Has anyone interviewed there yet? What is the interview process like there? I also have an interview at Hofstra University in November and am not super familiar yet with their interview process. Here are my stats and the places I applied too. Any advice would be great!
School: Gettysburg College
Major: Health Sciences; Minor: Education
Cum GPA: 3.5
Prerequisite GPA: 3.4-3.8
OT Hours: 196 total- 164 hand therapy; 12 inpatient; 16 hospital setting
Recommendations: 2 OT, 1 professor
Research senior year: Individualized research study on hand grips
GRE: Not good haha. 147 V, 144 Q, 5 Analytical Writing (I am not taking the GRE again)
So far, I have only heard back from Hofstra, Salus, and Messiah- but I got interviews at all three!
Other schools applying to: Temple (top), TJU, Boston University Sargent College, University of Pitt, Wesley College, Chatham U., and Moravian. If anyone has had interviews or has gotten accepted to these schools, let me know what I else I can do! I have been on the phone with each school and have visited a couple so far. Thanks guys! :)

You definitely have hope of getting in- I just got an email from Hofstra today about an interview in November... yay! My GPA is not much higher than yours and you have a great pre-req GPA. When I was on the phone with Hofstra, they told me that they really focus on recommendations and your personal statements. Good luck! :)

I didnt get an email from Hofstra yet. Fingers crossed that I do. Hopefully its because your last name starts with a B? Mine starts with an S. :(

Has anyone heard from back from Loma Linda or Samuel Merritt?

I have my interview scheduled for Loma Linda later this month
ahhh how exciting!! I will wait patiently... :/ If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take after you submitted to get the interview invite?

ahhh how exciting!! I will wait patiently... :/ If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take after you submitted to get the interview invite?
I actually got my interview invite the day after I submitted my supplemental app which was pretty surprising. My supplemental took like 2 weeks to get to me though. Good luck to you!!!

Hello! Here are my stats:

Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Major: Health Science
Prerequisite GPA: for most schools it’s a 3.3-3.4
GRE: 149 v 152 q 4 aw

Academic Awards: Dean’s List 6x, graduated Magna Cum Laude

Observation Hours: 80 total (40 special education, 20 just hand therapy, 20 adult orthopedics)

Activities: teacher’s aide in a mixed SPED class, teaching assistant for a public elementary school, manager of an after school program for lower income kids, executive board member for my school’s chapter of NAACP, mentor and teaching assistant for an orientation class at my school

I have already submitted apps to TWU-Houston, U of St. Augustine-Dallas, Tennessee State, Georgia State, Towson University, Alabama State, University of Central Arkansas, and Winston-Salem State University.

I will (once I find some more money growing on a tree) apply for the University of Missouri and Brenau University... bringing my total to 10.

Would anyone have any insight on my chances of getting in to any of these programs? I’ve yet to hear anything back yet. Thanks!!

Hello everyone! I'm super excited to be applying to OT schools but I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on my chances of getting into the schools I'm applying to!

School: University of Florida (B.S. in Psychology)
GPA: 3.48
pre-req GPA: 3.46
GRE: 152 V 158 Q 4.5 AW
Volunteering/Observing:
-45 hours in pediatric clinic
-40 hours in different pediatric clinic
-30 hours in NICU
- OT summer program at USC

Job:
-6 years as a day camp counselor
-1 year as a sleep away camp counselor

Letters of Rec:
1 ASL professor, 1 OT from USC, 1 Employer (boss from camp)

Extracurriculars
- in a service fraternity with over 100 hours of service the past 2 semesters
-volunteer in a dementia ward of a nursing home
-volunteer for 3 different organizations with kids
- Historian of the fraternity
- New Initiated Brother Educator of the fraternity
- Service Award for top 10 most service hours in the fraternity
- Dance Marathon Chair for the fraternity

Applying to:
USC (my dream school!), Brunel, NYU, UIC, West Coast U, Washington, Tennessee State, Stanbridge, CSUDH, SJSU

What are my chances mainly of getting into USC, UIC, NYU, and Brunel? but also any info on the others would be great!!

Also I was premed for 2.5 years so I took biology 1 & 2, chemistry 1 &2, physics 1 &2, and organic chemistry 1, which is why my GPA is lower. Do OT schools take that into consideration or am I screwed haha

Thank you!!

Your stats are really great and your volunteer/service hours along with your GRE score are really good. Your GPA isn't as low as some i have seen on here; plus you took some really hard classes so i'm sure that would be taken into consideration. If you're worried, you could always call and ask if the first thing and most important thing the school looks at is grades or if they have a more holistic approach. I know Creighton, which is where i'll be attending, takes a very overall approach to things so rather than just focusing on one's grades they look at every aspect of a person so being well-rounded is good and i definitely think you have that and is very helpful if your GPA isn't as high as you'd like it to be.

I just scheduled my interview for Midwestern University in Arizona! Has anybody interviewed already and could advise on me on their interview process?

Hi everyone! Quick question-
I was accepted to MCPHS last week and I have until the end of Oct to submit the $750 deposit. I'm supperr happy but it wasn't my first choice and I am really conflicted on what to do, because I want to wait to hear back from other schools but I know it won't be for a while.

Should I not submit the deposit and hope to get in somewhere else?

Any advice is appreciated :) Good luck everyone!

I was accepted to MCPHS last week and I have until the end of Oct to submit the $750 deposit. I'm supperr happy but it wasn't my first choice and I am really conflicted on what to do, because I want to wait to hear back from other schools but I know it won't be for a while.

Unfortunately, if you dont pay the deposit then you run the risk of not getting in anywhere and then you gave up your opprotunity to be an OT. Some schools will allow and extension on the deposit payment, you should atleast ask if they are willing to do so. The other option is to just pay the deposit and give up your seat if you get into your first choice. $750 in the grand scheme of the total amount of tuition that you will be paying is not that much. (It is now but tuition is expensive). If OT is your dream and passion- do whatever it takes!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's great though congratulations!! Did they just email you?

Hi everyone, I heard from Texas Tech for an interview. Anyone else get an email?

I heard back from them a couple of days ago, and I have an interview November 15th. When is yours?

How long did you guys make the supplemental essay for Tech? I know their maximum character count is 8000 so I'm not sure if I should submit with a shorter essay, or try to get closer to 8000 characters?

I heard back from them a couple of days ago, and I have an interview November 15th. When is yours?
I want to settle for the Nov 15. interview but I still haven't confirmed yet. I just need to double check if that would be possible for me because I am an out of state applicant and there are a few things I need to check before confirming to this date.

How long did you guys make the supplemental essay for Tech? I know their maximum character count is 8000 so I'm not sure if I should submit with a shorter essay, or try to get closer to 8000 characters?
Hello, mine was a bit lower than 4000 characters.

Hi guys!
I have recently applied to about 10 schools through OTCAS. So far, I have interviewed at Messiah and have an interview next week at Salus University. Has anyone interviewed there yet? What is the interview process like there? I also have an interview at Hofstra University in November and am not super familiar yet with their interview process. Here are my stats and the places I applied too. Any advice would be great!
School: Gettysburg College
Major: Health Sciences; Minor: Education
Cum GPA: 3.5
Prerequisite GPA: 3.4-3.8
OT Hours: 196 total- 164 hand therapy; 12 inpatient; 16 hospital setting
Recommendations: 2 OT, 1 professor
Research senior year: Individualized research study on hand grips
GRE: Not good haha. 147 V, 144 Q, 5 Analytical Writing (I am not taking the GRE again)
So far, I have only heard back from Hofstra, Salus, and Messiah- but I got interviews at all three!
Other schools applying to: Temple (top), TJU, Boston University Sargent College, University of Pitt, Wesley College, Chatham U., and Moravian. If anyone has had interviews or has gotten accepted to these schools, let me know what I else I can do! I have been on the phone with each school and have visited a couple so far. Thanks guys! :)

I interviewed with Salus at the end of September and received an acceptance email about a week and a half later. They are very quick which I think is a big plus! The interview itself was so great, very low-key. Everyone was very nice and I felt very comfortable. It’s basically a tour, an overview by the department head, and then two one-on-one’s. What I also loved was that the interview with the OT faculty is blind, so they have no idea what your GPA is or how many settings you’ve observed. They’re just trying to get to know YOU and whether or not you’d made a good OT. Good luck!

Mine was about 4500

Has anyone interviewed at Temple's program yet? I have an interview in a little less than two weeks and I am not sure what to expect. Any suggestions?

Hey y’all! Has anyone heard from any of the schools I applied to? Goodluck to everyone!
Major: Kinesiology emphasis: exercise science
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 cumulative:3.5
GRE: 144Q, 151V, 4.0W (quantitative killed me)
Letter of Rec: 2 OT, 1 professor, 1 employer
Extra-Curricular/Volunteer:
- Lots of volunteer at various locations
Observation hours/Employment:
- 60 hours home health ot
-25 hours pediatric ot
-48 hours inpatient living center under ot
430 hours in a cardiac rehab facility

Applied to: LSU-shrev, South Alabama, Saint aug (Austin), twu (Houston), Alabama state
Interviews: Saint aug, south ala, twu, lsu
Rejections: N/A
Acceptances: Saint aug

Last edited:
Hey y’all! Has anyone heard from any of the schools I applied to? Goodluck to everyone!
Major: Kinesiology emphasis: exercise science
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 cumulative:3.5
GRE: 144Q, 151V, 4.0W (quantitative killed me)
Letter of Rec: 2 OT, 1 professor, 1 employer
Extra-Curricular/Volunteer:
- Lots of volunteer at various locations
Observation hours/Employment:
- 60 hours home health ot
-25 hours pediatric ot
-48 hours inpatient living center under ot
430 hours in a cardiac rehab facility

Applied to: LSU-shrev, South Alabama, Saint aug (Austin), twu (Houston), Alabama state
Interviews: Saint aug
Rejections: N/A
Acceptances: N/A
Hey I have an interview coming up At St. Augustine on October 25th. When is your interview?

Hey I have an interview coming up At St. Augustine on October 25th. When is your interview?
Mine is the 15th. I’m flying up the 14th though. Let me know how your interview goes and good luck!

Has anyone heard from Tufts yet? I know the deadline was only yesterday, but I never really got a confirmation email that my application was received, or any other correspondence.