General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I have a question about Dominican University of California if anyone can help me out?

The university website states "If you do not complete all of your volunteer work experience at one location, a separate form is needed for each location” which leads me to believe we can have all 60 hours at one location, however on the OTCAS website under the supplemental questions tab it states "60 total hours of occupational therapy volunteer work experience at no fewer than two different locations.

I am not sure which statement I should be going by and whether or not I need to have more than one volunteer form completed even if I have 60 hours, if I do thats okay but I need to know so I can get ahold of the OT I volunteered with during that time!
The more locations/hours the better. You can definitely have 60+ at one location at one setting. I think OTCAS mentions it as a recommendation.

Members don't see this ad.

School: Queens College
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Shadowing Hours: 110 hours (100 outpatient rehab, 10 pediatric)
Letters of rec from 2 OT's, 1 from my statistics professor.

I am worried about my GPA. I am basically only applying to NYIT, Hofstra (top choice), NYU, and Columbia.
Do you guys think I have hope getting in? I'm really worried!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Queens College
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Shadowing Hours: 110 hours (100 outpatient rehab, 10 pediatric)
Letters of rec from 2 OT's, 1 from my statistics professor.

I am worried about my GPA. I am basically only applying to NYIT, Hofstra (top choice), NYU, and Columbia.
Do you guys think I have hope getting in? I'm really worried!!!
How do you feel about your personal statement? Extra-curricular? Leadership? Credentials? GRE? Schools look at stuff hollistically.

I think my personal statement was great. Extra-curricular I was the treasurer at the a charity club however there was no section on the OTCAS to upload credentials so I left that stuff out! Never took the GRE as schools I applied to didnt require it

I think my personal statement was great. Extra-curricular I was the treasurer at the a charity club however there was no section on the OTCAS to upload credentials so I left that stuff out! Never took the GRE as schools I applied to didnt require it
Under licenses and certifications you can add things in. Volunteer work, even more hours can assist in strengthening the app.

I am really struggling with my personal statement right now and would appreciate some insight on how I am doing, would anyone be wiling to provide me with some feedback? I would return the favor!
Thanks!!

I am really struggling with my personal statement right now and would appreciate some insight on how I am doing, would anyone be wiling to provide me with some feedback? I would return the favor!
Thanks!!

Hey pm me!

Hi everyone! Do you have to wait for the transcript entry to be completed to submit the application for verification?

hey guys! im also applying to the spring and fall 2020 OT programs
right now im applying to CSUDH and I hope to get in because of how close to home it is plus the costs and program layout

STATS

BS kinesiology emphasis in Clinical Movement Science3.76 gpa

Prereqs ; 4.0

GRE : 140 QUANT 144 VERBAL 4 writing (THIS part is freaking me out)

120 hours an OT hand therapy/ PT clinic
60 hours at an outpatient pediatrics clinic

LOR from both OTs and a CSUF professor

Ive done a lot of volunteer work including joining an organization to help raise funds for a local children's hospital

really the GRE is making me doubt my admissions but I don't know how each school weighs their applicants (hopefully they see me as a whole and not just a GRE score), i'll be retaking it of course for other colleges for Fall 2020

good luck with you all!!

right now im applying to CSUDH and I hope to get in because of how close to home it is plus the costs and program layout

STATS

Prereqs ; 4.0

Ive done a lot of volunteer work including joining an organization to help raise funds for a local children's hospital

really the GRE is making me doubt my admissions but I don't know how each school weighs their applicants (hopefully they see me as a whole and not just a GRE score), i'll be retaking it of course for other colleges for Fall 2020

good luck with you all!!
Your GPAs and hour look amazing and when they look at your app they will review EVERYTHING and will be able to look past the GRE. Especially if you're a part of clubs and volunteer organizations I think you're a super competitive applicant. Make sure your essay is great and really shows why you want to be an OT and that it's super structured and gets your points across without being too wordy.
Looks great though, best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user

STATS

Prereqs ; 4.0

good luck with you all!!

Our stats look very similar! I have also been struggling with the GRE (my scores are identical to yours except I got a 3 in writing) and I am also hoping that the scores do not weaken my application. I tried looking for schools that do not look at the GRE and I was only able to find one in Texas. I hope that we are both given a chance, putting aside the darn GRE scores. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Our stats look very similar! I have also been struggling with the GRE (my scores are identical to yours except I got a 3 in writing) and I am also hoping that the scores do not weaken my application. I tried looking for schools that do not look at the GRE and I was only able to find one in Texas. I hope that we are both given a chance, putting aside the darn GRE scores. Good luck!
Hi! check out this thread: General Admissions & OTCAS - OT Schools Without GRE other users posted schools that don't require GRE. Best of luck!

Hi all!

I saw that UNLV is piloting an OTD program this summer? Is anybody else applying/ looking to apply? Also, has anyone seen an update on Howard University application on the OTCAS? I called and they said they were having technical difficulties uploading it but that was over a month ago...

Hi all! Anyone else here a teacher? Or coming from another certificated/licensed job? Wondering if you inputted all your credential courses in the transcript area? I know they say to put in all courses, but wasn't sure if that just means undergrad + prereqs.

Has anyone else been scheduled for an interview with the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor's Occupational Therapy Program? its a brand new MOT program.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an interview with Creighton? Or are familiar with their interview???

Has anyone else been scheduled for an interview with the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor's Occupational Therapy Program? its a brand new MOT program.
Hey, I already had my interview earlier this summer and got in! It's a new program (which means it's still in the accredidation process), but after my interview/tour I realized that this program is going to be TOP-NOTCH! I'm super excited. The faculty and staff are super established in the field and are really focused on giving us the best training and education as future OT professionals.

Loma Linda applicants - have any of you received the supplemental application from the school yet?

Hey, I already had my interview earlier this summer and got in! It's a new program (which means it's still in the accredidation process), but after my interview/tour I realized that this program is going to be TOP-NOTCH! I'm super excited. The faculty and staff are super established in the field and are really focused on giving us the best training and education as future OT professionals.
Wow! Congratulations! that's awesome to hear. I applied to the program very last minute because it was my first time hearing about it. How was the interview process? if you don't mind me asking. I already received the essay prompts but I am most nervous about the one on one interview :(

For anyone that has applied to TWU, do you know where to find your 60-hour GPA? On OTCAS, only my cumulative GPA appears and I called OTCAS and TWU and they haven't been able to tell me either. I can't necessarily calculate it myself because my most recent 60 credit hours overlap with a semester from two years ago, so I'm not sure if they would include all the credit hours I took that semester, or just pick two classes to get me to 60 hours?

Does anyone know if you can submit your application before you receive a transcript?
I called OTCAS and they told me I could but I just wanted to see if anyone has done that.
I'm really nervous. I have an application due on October 1st. And I just realized we have to send transcripts even from dual enrollment courses we took in high school. I just really hope everything gets there and verified by then.
What do y'all think?!

Does anyone know if you can submit your application before you receive a transcript?
I called OTCAS and they told me I could but I just wanted to see if anyone has done that.
I'm really nervous. I have an application due on October 1st. And I just realized we have to send transcripts even from dual enrollment courses we took in high school. I just really hope everything gets there and verified by then.
What do y'all think?!
Oh my god I totally forgot I received dual credit during high school and it transferred to my college.... I need to do this now!!! Also when I try to add the university the button is grey and unclickable...

University: University of South Carolina
Major: double major in Philosophy and Women's and Gender Studies
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 145 quant 159 verbal 4.0 writing
Applying: MUSC, Columbia, Lenoir-Rhyne, Sacred Heart, Pacific University, University of Pudget Sound
Shadow hours: 30 hours in a hands/elbows/shoulders office, 120 hours in pediatric, 100+ hours at a manufacturing plant office doing research and intern work
Other experience: I have a lot of experience volunteering outside of occupational therapy -- Juvenile Arbitration, several film festivals, construction work in impoverished areas, Women's well being initiative, tutoring philosophy students, drug and alcohol rehabs, Amnesty International, did an independent study with the head of my department(women's and gender studies) in undergrad, took mostly graduate courses my senior year, deans list a little over half of undergrad

There are a lot of things I am worried about... my GPA is not great and my quant score is bad... I hope I'll get in somewhere, I am pretty nervous! I may be able to take the GRE again but I am not sure if it will help I am just not very quick with math... Any feedback or suggestions or anything would be helpful !

Last edited:
Hi all!

Did anyone already receive any rejection letters? I applied to North Central College on 7th and they sent out a rejection letter on 12th saying that I won't be invited for an interview... and that was when my third evaluation was not even submitted yet. The priority deadline is due 20th which is today but getting rejected even before submitting all the materials just makes me so depressed. I thought I had pretty good GPAs (around 3.6) but I think my observation hours and GRE scores were not competent enough. I am currently working on my secondary application for Loma Linda but now I don't feel motivated at all and wonder if I need to just give up this cycle and try again next year.. :(

University: University of South Carolina
Major: double major in Philosophy and Women's and Gender Studies
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 145 quant 159 verbal 4.0 writing
Applying: MUSC, Columbia, Lenoir-Rhyne, Sacred Heart, Pacific University, University of Pudget Sound
Shadow hours: 30 hours in a hands/elbows/shoulders office, 120 hours in pediatric, 100+ hours at a manufacturing plant office doing research and intern work
Other experience: I have a lot of experience volunteering outside of occupational therapy -- Juvenile Arbitration, several film festivals, construction work in impoverished areas, Women's well being initiative, tutoring philosophy students, drug and alcohol rehabs, Amnesty International, did an independent study with the head of my department(women's and gender studies) in undergrad, took mostly graduate courses my senior year, deans list a little over half of undergrad

There are a lot of things I am worried about... my GPA is not great and my quant score is bad... I hope I'll get in somewhere, I am pretty nervous! I may be able to take the GRE again but I am not sure if it will help I am just not very quick with math... Any feedback or suggestions or anything would be helpful !
Hi! I am currently in my first semester of the MSOT program at Sacred Heart! Our stats are actually fairly similar. My overall gpa was a 3.58. My GRE score was a 157Q and 153V and 4.0 writing. I was emailed in December that I was invited to interview. My interview was in January, and they emailed me back the next day with my acceptance. If you have any questions about the program in general or about the interview process let me know! I was in your shoes a year ago and know how stressful this process can be!

Hi I have a question about Dominican University of California if anyone can help me out?

The university website states "If you do not complete all of your volunteer work experience at one location, a separate form is needed for each location” which leads me to believe we can have all 60 hours at one location, however on the OTCAS website under the supplemental questions tab it states "60 total hours of occupational therapy volunteer work experience at no fewer than two different locations.

I am not sure which statement I should be going by and whether or not I need to have more than one volunteer form completed even if I have 60 hours, if I do thats okay but I need to know so I can get ahold of the OT I volunteered with during that time!
If I were you I would complete my hours at more than one facility as it will help your application look stronger. When in doubt, go with what the university's program says in regards to the application. I applied to Dominican as well in early August and I observed in 3 different settings; I submitted three different forms, 1 for each setting.

Hi all!

Did anyone already receive any rejection letters? I applied to North Central College on 7th and they sent out a rejection letter on 12th saying that I won't be invited for an interview... and that was when my third evaluation was not even submitted yet. The priority deadline is due 20th which is today but getting rejected even before submitting all the materials just makes me so depressed. I thought I had pretty good GPAs (around 3.6) but I think my observation hours and GRE scores were not competent enough. I am currently working on my secondary application for Loma Linda but now I don't feel motivated at all and wonder if I need to just give up this cycle and try again next year.. :(
One rejection letter out of how many schools? If you only applied to 2, and are currently working on the second one, I suggest keep on working on that second one. My advice is to submit everyone at once, that way they have it all. I submitted all my stuff for the seven programs that I applied to on the first week of August. I have not received any rejection letters, but did receive an invite for an online interview at one program for next week. Keep working on it! You've put in all this work, don't give up.

Hi! I am currently in my first semester of the MSOT program at Sacred Heart! Our stats are actually fairly similar. My overall gpa was a 3.58. My GRE score was a 157Q and 153V and 4.0 writing. I was emailed in December that I was invited to interview. My interview was in January, and they emailed me back the next day with my acceptance. If you have any questions about the program in general or about the interview process let me know! I was in your shoes a year ago and know how stressful this process can be!
Thank you so so much! I have so many questions. I’ll message you — thank you!
Also that’s just incredibly relieving to hear! I’m so nervous about not getting in.

It wasn’t letting me message you I’m not sure how to change that — not the most electronically savvy.

It wasn’t letting me message you I’m not sure how to change that — not the most electronically savvy.
Go to your profile privacy settings. And when it says allowed people who you follow to message you, click allow. I just changed my setting to allow it

STATS

Prereqs ; 4.0

good luck with you all!!

My GRE scores are a little better, but not by much. What ending up being the path for you? I am freaking out about mine!

Do we request official transcripts from our institution before having finished our final semester?

Do we request official transcripts from our institution before having finished our final semester?
Yes, you need it so that you, or you can have it done professionally by paying for the service, input your classes into OTCAS. If you're going to do it yourself then you should send one copy to yourself, and then another copy to OTCAS.

Major: Liberal Studies
OTCAS Overall GPA: 3.47 (I had 5 Fs a million years ago and it’s hard to recover. My last 120 hours are 3.89...last 60 are 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V159 /Q154/ AW4.0
Shadow hours: 35 hours adult outpatient; 40 hours TBI and pain management at a military base clinic; 300 hours as full time intern at pediatric therapy facility
Other experience: 20 years active duty Army (retiring in December) - no healthcare background, but a ton of leadership and management and interpersonal skills; lots of volunteer work with veterans organizations.

Applying: USC, Loma Linda, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, West Coast
Interviews: Loma Linda; St. Aug (San Marcos); West Coast (declined once accepted to USC)
Acceptances: USC, University of St. Augustine San Marcos
Waitlisted: LLU
Rejections:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your GPAs and hour look amazing and when they look at your app they will review EVERYTHING and will be able to look past the GRE. Especially if you're a part of clubs and volunteer organizations I think you're a super competitive applicant. Make sure your essay is great and really shows why you want to be an OT and that it's super structured and gets your points across without being too wordy.
Looks great though, best of luck!!
thank you so much!! All we can do is keep a positive outlook :) I hope they look at all the applications holistically and I hope my LORs will help with the process. im also hoping the questions they gave us can help as well

its's so scary! but best of luck to you!!:) i'd hope that they look at us as a whole and not just numbers lol. yeah also Loma linda doesn't require GRE.

My GRE scores are a little better, but not by much. What ending up being the path for you? I am freaking out about mine!
hey! yeah during the info session for CSUDH she said the higher gre the better so I was slightly worried lol. but best of luck to you!! I decided to apply regardless and submitted my applications a week before they were due. I wish they admitted more students in their cohort /: it just gets more competitive. but I'm planning to reatake my GRE by November for other colleges if I don't get accepted to CSUDH

Hi all!

I saw that UNLV is piloting an OTD program this summer? Is anybody else applying/ looking to apply? Also, has anyone seen an update on Howard University application on the OTCAS? I called and they said they were having technical difficulties uploading it but that was over a month ago...
hey! I also looked up the UNLV OTD program! I highly considered it and I hope more schools will begin offering OT programs in the west coast. I was hesitant though because it's a very new program, so I wouldn't be sure about how the program is ran and its faculty. but hopefully it's up there in curriculum

Hi does anyone know if San Jose will take your highest GRE scores if you take it again? I want to retake it to do better on my writing score, but I'm worried if I do my other scores could go down and it would defeat the purpose of taking it again lol

hey! I also looked up the UNLV OTD program! I highly considered it and I hope more schools will begin offering OT programs in the west coast. I was hesitant though because it's a very new program, so I wouldn't be sure about how the program is ran and its faculty. but hopefully it's up there in curriculum

I agree. I would like to stay on the West Coast but obviously will go where I get in. Im glad I have another option with UNLV. I was also hesitant about how the program would be since it is new, but the program director is extremely helpful and responsive so that gives me hope!

Reactions: 1 users