General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m curious about this too, since I worked as a rehab tech.
When you click on the definition page for experiences, they say to list experiences shadowing/volunteering with an OT as "Internships and Clinical Experiences". Since you can't put an exact number of hours (you can only put average weekly hours), the hours I have listed in that section are inaccurate. I'm probably just being neurotic but I'm going to submit for verification soon and I don't want there to be any stupid mistakes. It does direct us to put them there on that definition page though, so I'll probably just keep it and try to approximate the weekly hours as best I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have y’all visited your potential schools? I’ve been to three so far, and based on visits, one has gone way up on my list...and another has been eliminated completely. I’m grateful to have the financial flexibility to wait a year if none of my choices accept me in year one. I’m so thankful that I had the opportunity to visit schools...I’m not willing to “settle”, so I’ll just keep applying to the programs that work best for me until I get accepted.

Long story short - go visit schools if you can!

Reactions: 1 user
I decided to change careers in January 2018.

4.0+ GPA for prereqs.
3.22 overall (Post-bacc. Made some bad grades nearly 2 decades ago.)
GRE 152Q/157V/3.5AWA (That AWA is abysmal.)
60 hours pediatrics
15 hours hand clinic
25 hours outpatient, although mostly with a PT
Currently completing certification for nurse assistant and will work as one until I get in.
Volunteer: hospice, student mentor at an elementary school.

I'm hoping I'll get in 2020, however I'm getting comfortable with the idea of Plan B - continue to study, improve AWA, work as a CNA, travel to Europe, pursue wellness, climb a 5.11, be happy.

"...no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." - Erhmann

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! If any of you guys are applying to Dominican University of California, where should we upload the Dominican observation hours forms? There's no section for it in the program materials at all! Surely they don't want us to upload it onto the public application in the Documents section??

Hi, this is from Dominican Univ. of CA. OTCAS under Program Materials when you click on the University then click on Documents and it'll tell you the following below.

60 Hours of Volunteer Experience
Dominican requires a minimum of 60 hours of volunteer work experience with at least 40 of those hours under the supervision of an OTR within two years of the program’s start date. Please have supervisors complete the Dominican University Volunteer Form. More than one form may be used, and each form can be used to list one or more settings. Multiple forms may be scanned into one document and uploaded to OTCAS in the Observation Hours section.
Please click on the "Volunteer Form Link" above to download the form, scan all forms as 1 document and upload in the Observation Hours section.

Just submitted my applications to 5 of the programs in Southern CA that I am interested in. Loma Linda University is my #1 Choice! Good luck everyone! And in my own opinion, the sooner you apply the better. Also, OTCAS has a FEE WAIVER for those who might need financial assistance for the application payments. Once you fill out the forms for the waiver and you get approved you have 15 or so days to submit the application.

Good luck!!!

Just submitted my applications to 5 of the programs in Southern CA that I am interested in. Loma Linda University is my #1 Choice! Good luck everyone! And in my own opinion, the sooner you apply the better. Also, OTCAS has a FEE WAIVER for those who might need financial assistance for the application payments. Once you fill out the forms for the waiver and you get approved you have 15 or so days to submit the application.

Good luck!!!

I visited Loma Linda last week and fell in love! USC had been my #1 but I think they’re tied now. I was really impressed with the program and the campus! Maybe I’ll see you there next year!

I just submitted my first application. I am a low cumulative GPA applicant so I honestly have no idea what to expect. I wish everybody luck, and hopefully in a few months I can come out of this with an acceptance!

My cumulative GPA was less than a 3.0. I had several interview offers and got 2 acceptances. I suggest you apply to some schools that will look at your last 60 hours GPA instead, that’s what helped me. Also apply to as many schools as possible! Good luck.
May I ask what schools you applied to that you got an acceptance at?

Hey guys! Has anyone finished entering transcripts into OTCAS? I retook a class and the first time I took that class I got a C and the second attempt I got an A. I was wondering if you enter in 0.00 or 4.00 credits into the first attempt spot, just since I did not receive credit for it at the university? Let me know if anyone knows the answer to this!

Also, I am a little worried that my calculated OTCAS GPA will be a lot lower than the cummulative I have now with my retaken classes. Any suggestions on what to do for this? Would you reach out to schools or anything? Thanks guys!

Hey guys! Has anyone finished entering transcripts into OTCAS? I retook a class and the first time I took that class I got a C and the second attempt I got an A. I was wondering if you enter in 0.00 or 4.00 credits into the first attempt spot, just since I did not receive credit for it at the university? Let me know if anyone knows the answer to this!

Also, I am a little worried that my calculated OTCAS GPA will be a lot lower than the cummulative I have now with my retaken classes. Any suggestions on what to do for this? Would you reach out to schools or anything? Thanks guys!

You should enter it as 4.00 credits because even though your undergrad university may not take it into factor, grad schools do for the most part. They notice that things had been taken twice, in fact, right before you submit it for review to OTCAS there is a question about retaking a class and you have to select the class you retook. They will read over your transcript after you submit it and determine if it should be otherwise calculated, however mine was put in as a 4.00 after they reviewed it.

My OTCAS GPA was lower than when I had previously calulated but not by much honestly. I wouldnt stress that much about it! They look at you as a whole applicant, not by pieces. For me, my GRE score was not as great as I would have liked despite taking it 2x. I had other parts of my application that I think strengthened it (volunteer/observation hours, leadership roles, etc.) Best of luck to you!

You should enter it as 4.00 credits because even though your undergrad university may not take it into factor, grad schools do for the most part. They notice that things had been taken twice, in fact, right before you submit it for review to OTCAS there is a question about retaking a class and you have to select the class you retook. They will read over your transcript after you submit it and determine if it should be otherwise calculated, however mine was put in as a 4.00 after they reviewed it.

My OTCAS GPA was lower than when I had previously calulated but not by much honestly. I wouldnt stress that much about it! They look at you as a whole applicant, not by pieces. For me, my GRE score was not as great as I would have liked despite taking it 2x. I had other parts of my application that I think strengthened it (volunteer/observation hours, leadership roles, etc.) Best of luck to you!
Thank you!! Are you applying this cycle?

Thank you!! Are you applying this cycle?

I applied in the 2018-2019 cycle. I applied to 7 programs, interviewed at all, got waitlisted at all, then accepted to 2 on the same day (1 of which was my top choice!). I then took myself off of the waitlist for the remaining programs. I start my MSOT program in 2 weeks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Does OTCAS verify GPA only AFTER you submit the application and pay the OTCAS fees?

I applied in the 2018-2019 cycle. I applied to 7 programs, interviewed at all, got waitlisted at all, then accepted to 2 on the same day (1 of which was my top choice!). I then took myself off of the waitlist for the remaining programs. I start my MSOT program in 2 weeks!!!
Where did you decide to go?

Also, was this your first time applying?

This was my first time applying! I graduated Undergrad in May. I decided on Brenau University. It is closest to home, and is well respected in the OT communtiy, especially in the Southeast. Here were my stats:

Applied: Brenau University, Georgia State, Wingate University, Emory & Henry, Medical University of SC, Milligan College, Mary Baldwin University

Interviews: Wingate (Oct. 26), Brenau (11/30), Georgia State (12/3), Mary Baldwin (Declined), Medical University of SC (1/29), Milligan College (2/22), Emory & Henry University

Acceptances: Brenau University, Wingate University

Waitlist: Wingate, Georgia State, Brenau University, Medical University of SC, Milligan College, Emory & Henry University

Rejections: Georgia State after waitlist filled up

------------------------------------------------------------

University: University of North Georgia

Major: Kinesiology

Graduated: May 2019

Overall GPA undergrad: 3.61

Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 Depending on Requirements for Schools

GRE: 149Q, 145Q, 4.0AW

Applying to: Georgia State, Brenau, MUSC, Wingate, Mary Baldwin, Emory & Henry

Observation Hours

10 Inpatient: Cardiovascular, Oncology, ICU

18 Inpatient: Neuro

268 Outpatient Pediatrics (Summer intern)

28 Skilled Nursing/Geriatric

1200+ Working as a Unit Secretary at a Skilled Nursing Facility

Extras:

40 hours in as an assistant Autism Feeding Disorder research study

President of UNG Occupational Therapy Club

Member of 2 National Honor Societies- Lambda Theta Alpha, Mu Epsilon Delta

Member of Kinesiology Club, Medical Outreach club

Dean's list x 6 semesters

Letters of Rec:

OT Supervisor at Pediatric Clinic I interned at

OT I shadowed at the SNF that I work at

A professor who served on the PT board at my school, whom I have also taken classes with

Yes. OTCAS does not process anything until you pay for at least one application. Then they verify all of your classes and calculate your GPA.

You do not have to wait to receive your letters of recommendation either, they will still be able to send them once you submit your application.
Thank you so much! That was very insightful, thanks!

Applied: Brenau University, Georgia State, Wingate University, Emory & Henry, Medical University of SC, Milligan College, Mary Baldwin University

Interviews: Wingate (Oct. 26), Brenau (11/30), Georgia State (12/3), Mary Baldwin (Declined), Medical University of SC (1/29), Milligan College (2/22), Emory & Henry University

Acceptances: Brenau University, Wingate University

Waitlist: Wingate, Georgia State, Brenau University, Medical University of SC, Milligan College, Emory & Henry University

Rejections: Georgia State after waitlist filled up

You've already gotten a rejection from GSU? Did you submit for the early review?

Thank you so much! That was very insightful, thanks!
Yes. OTCAS does not process anything until you pay for at least one application. Then they verify all of your classes and calculate your GPA.

You do not have to wait to receive your letters of recommendation either, they will still be able to send them once you submit your application.
Hi again @Yorit06, can you pay and submit at least one application (GRE not required) and then take the GRE and update scores later? Also, do we have to wait until all transcripts have been sent to OTCAS first before we can submit/pay one application? I have an updated transcript on the way. Thanks again!

You can always send new GRE scores once you retake it! Just make sure you also send it to the school if they require you to send it to both. Some places require you to send GRE scores to both the school and OTCAS but it’s usually listed on the website.

Your transcripts will get there whenever they get there. Pay your application fee now. They do not start verifying your application until ALL transcripts have been received.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, KIND @Yorit06!

If anyone would like to help each other out with personal statements let me know! This has been the most stressful part of the application for me.
PM me! I'd love to read yours and send you mine for some other feedback.

Just finished the GRE. That was rough ! I didn’t study, but I think I’m satisfied enough with my unofficial scores. As long as my AW scores are ok, I think I won’t be retaking this. Ugh...just needed to vent!

Hey everyone I have a question about documents that need to be sent to the schools themselves. Do I have to wait for the program's application process to be open before I send transcripts or have have my evaluators send their letters of rec.? For example, SJSU doesn't open until October 1st, and I'm worried if my evaluator sends her letter of rec. next week they won't accept it yet... does anyone have any information on this??

Hey everyone I have a question about documents that need to be sent to the schools themselves. Do I have to wait for the program's application process to be open before I send transcripts or have have my evaluators send their letters of rec.? For example, SJSU doesn't open until October 1st, and I'm worried if my evaluator sends her letter of rec. next week they won't accept it yet... does anyone have any information on this??

If it is through OTCAS, you can go ahead and send in your transcript and letters of rec then submit it when their application window open in October. If it is not through OTCAS do not do so until their window opens in October.

Just finished the GRE. That was rough ! I didn’t study, but I think I’m satisfied enough with my unofficial scores. As long as my AW scores are ok, I think I won’t be retaking this. Ugh...just needed to vent!
I take it in a few weeks, would you recommend studying anything in particular?

If it is through OTCAS, you can go ahead and send in your transcript and letters of rec then submit it when their application window open in October. If it is not through OTCAS do not do so until their window opens in October.
oh gosh i'm glad I asked, thank you so much!

Not really. Just use whatever material you’ve been using. I haven’t opened my study guide since December. The math sucked for me, but my score wasn’t that bad...so not sure how it works. I swear I only knew like 25% of the math questions ‍♀️

The AW portion seemed way easier than I expected...we shall see if my scores reflect that.

Verbal was just about what I anticipated.

I would recommend doing as many practice questions as you can with Magoosh or whatever study tool you would like to use. First, start out by taking a full length practice test to see what you get wrong and what you need to work on. I was personally most weak in the quantitative section and in the first practice test I took, I got a 145Q and I wanted to break 150. I only had about 2 weeks to study so I just did a bunch of practice questions and I brought my score up to 152Q on the real test. Also, I didn't really take the writing seriously when I was studying because I consider myself a pretty decent writer, but I had a tough time trying to write 2 decent quality essays in just an hour during the actual test. I would practice some writing just to make sure you can work well with the time crunch.

Hey guys! I have been following this forum for years now and I’m exited to say I will be applying this year! Here are my stats:

George Mason University
Major: Psychology of Science w/ a concertation in Developmental Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Last 60 credits-3.95
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Taking in October

Observational Hours: 430( 9 different setting)
Hand Therapy: 40 Hours
School Setting: 30 Hours
Acute care: 50 Hours
Pediatric outpatient Setting: 170 hours
OT Peds camp- 30 hours
Hospital Setting (Post- Trauma unit): 30 Hours
Early Intervention: 40 Hours
Hippotherapy: 10 Hours
Outpatient nursing home- 30 hours
Peds outpatient-40 hours
Might do 40 more hours at a hospice center.

Extra Curriculium:
-Rehabilitation club member
-First Generation club member
- Kinesiology club member
-The Society for Collegiate Leadership and Achievement award
-Patriots for Health Assistance member
- Hispanic Student Associates member
-Research assistant 2 semester for a developmental psychology lab
-Research assistant for 1 semester for an industrial psychology lab
-Received a scholarship from the Reston Scholarship Foundation where I become an ambassador, mentored current scholarship recipients, discussed the foundation on the local news and presented at annual meetings.
-Dean’s list every semester
- Fluent Spanish and native Bolivian language (Aymara) speaker

Certificates
- CRP/ BLS certified
-Qualified Mental Health Counselor certified
-Medication administration certified
-PCA certified

Volunteer Hours: Over 4000
- Tutored at-risk youth at Vecinos Unidos
- Taught English classes to Adults for my church
- Taught Bible class for kindergarten age children for my church
- Recreational activities with patients at a local mental health hospital
- Food drives at my church( I did intakes)
- Ran a sensory program for adults with disabilities at SPACs Solution
- Ran an arts and crafts program for a domestic abuse shelter called Artemis House
- Volunteered as front desk helped at a homeless shelter called Embry Rucker Shelter
- Volunteered front desk at a domestic abuse shelter called Artemis House
- Volunteered with Jill's House (I helped the caregivers with the kids)
- Volunteered at my church assisting the children at my church with disabilities
-Volunteered at a local cat shelter
- Advocate got VOICE

Work Experience
- ABA therapist working home, center and school-based
- Care giver to a child with autism
- Occupational Therapist Aide for a Hand Therapy clinic
- Peer mentor to college students with disabilities
- Mental Health Counselor at a group home for adults with Schizophrenia disorders

LOR: 1 from an OT I shadowed, 1 from the supervisor of the special needs program at my church which I volunteered for over 3 years, 1 from my abnormal psychology professor.

Applying: Barry University, SJSU, West Coast university, Townson Univeristy, Howard University, Loma Linda, NYU, Columbia, Trinity Washington, Shenandoah, University of St. Augustine and a couple of more.

I’m a first time applicant and really nervous but excited to get one step closer to becoming an OT! If there is anything else I can do to improve my stats, please let me know. Also working on my personal statement and if anyone could look over it, I would be greatly appreciated.
Wishing everyone good luck and positivity.

"I’m a first time applicant and really nervous but excited to get one step closer to becoming an OT! If there is anything else I can do to improve my stats, please let me know. Also working on my personal statement and if anyone could look over it, I would be greatly appreciated.
Wishing everyone good luck and positivity."

Connect with me and I will review your personal statement then presenting you with my assessment and how you might improve the content. No charge. No fee. Complimentary. o obligation. It will be my pleasure.

Have a nice afternoon.

Hello!
Thank you so much! I will send this by tonight. I appreciate it, I’ll PM you!

Can anyone tell me how my stats are? I have received one interview offer so far, but I don't know where i stand with other candidates and how good of a chance I have of being admitted somewhere assuming my interviews would go good or chances for more interviews. Thanks.

School: Fort Hays State University
Major: General Science (Biology) and certificate in healthy aging
GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: about 3.86 - 3.90
GRE: 152V 146Q 4.0AW

Shadow hours: this area is low for me. I have struggled being able to find a lot of time to shadow as i am a college athlete, work, and am in honor society. I have 30 hours shadowing between inpatient and outpatient at the local hospital. One thing that helps me is having 120 hours of performing ADL's with a nonverbal 8-year-old with Trisomy 4p.

Extracurriculars: College basketball, Honor Society, Volunteer at campus Neuromuscular Wellness Center (exercise programs for elderly participants)

Volunteer: I have several volunteer events through my extracurriculars. Probably about 40 hours worth i would say.

Applied to: Creighton, KUMC, Rockhurst

Interviews: Sept. 20 at Creighton (i would love to find someone else interviewing on this day and meet up!!). The other schools have not reviewed applications yet.

Can anyone tell me how my stats are? I have received one interview offer so far, but I don't know where i stand with other candidates and how good of a chance I have of being admitted somewhere assuming my interviews would go good or chances for more interviews. Thanks.

School: Fort Hays State University
Major: General Science (Biology) and certificate in healthy aging
GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: about 3.86 - 3.90
GRE: 152V 146Q 4.0AW

Shadow hours: this area is low for me. I have struggled being able to find a lot of time to shadow as i am a college athlete, work, and am in honor society. I have 30 hours shadowing between inpatient and outpatient at the local hospital. One thing that helps me is having 120 hours of performing ADL's with a nonverbal 8-year-old with Trisomy 4p.

Extracurriculars: College basketball, Honor Society, Volunteer at campus Neuromuscular Wellness Center (exercise programs for elderly participants)

Volunteer: I have several volunteer events through my extracurriculars. Probably about 40 hours worth i would say.

Applied to: Creighton, KUMC, Rockhurst

Interviews: Sept. 20 at Creighton (i would love to find someone else interviewing on this day and meet up!!). The other schools have not reviewed applications yet.
Your top stats are great! Hmmmm... in terms of the shadowing hours, it is kind of tough if your plate is too full. Do you have any open window opportunities during weekends? Maybe those big city events for certain causes can help. Adding more to licensing/cert. could help. Also, we share the same interview date at Creighton. :)

Your top stats are great! Hmmmm... in terms of the shadowing hours, it is kind of tough if your plate is too full. Do you have any open window opportunities during weekends? Maybe those big city events for certain causes can help. Adding more to licensing/cert. could help. Also, we share the same interview date at Creighton. :)

Well, I have been doing some more shadowing, but that is all that was on my application and as you know, we can't go back and edit it after submission. I forgot to include in my original post having a basic life support certification (oops). That is awesome!! congrats! Maybe we can meet up when we get there?!

Well, I have been doing some more shadowing, but that is all that was on my application and as you know, we can't go back and edit it after submission. I forgot to include in my original post having a basic life support certification (oops). That is awesome!! congrats! Maybe we can meet up when we get there?!
I thought you could add "updates" once you verified the app. You can still draw from those experiences too during interviews. Sure, I am flying from TX. You?

I thought you could add "updates" once you verified the app. You can still draw from those experiences too during interviews. Sure, I am flying from TX. You?

You can update your personal information, but not any of your experience. There is a window opening in December to update academic information but other than that, we cannot change anything. I will be driving from western KS :)

You can update your personal information, but not any of your experience. There is a window opening in December to update academic information but other than that, we cannot change anything. I will be driving from western KS :)
We should keep in touch through msgs. if you'd like

When I met the admissions director at a school I’m applying to, she advised me to email significant updates to the admissions team after the application is submitted. I’m sure not all schools are open to this, but maybe it’s worth asking via email?

When I met the admissions director at a school I’m applying to, she advised me to email significant updates to the admissions team after the application is submitted. I’m sure not all schools are open to this, but maybe it’s worth asking via email?

That's a really good idea, I didn't think of that at all. I'll check it out! Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm updating this with my GRE now. Any feedback would be amazing!! Good luck everyone <3

Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0
GRE: 154 V (64%) 157 Q (64%) 4.0 W (57%)
Letter of Rec: 2 OTs 1 Professor
Extracurricular:
-
60 hours on medical campaign in Peru
-30 hours at an Adaptive Fitness Clinic- train clients w/ disabilities
-Member of pre-professional health club

Observation hours: 258 hours total
-100 hours in outpatient pediatric hospital
-140 hours in 2 different outpatient ortho/neuro clinics
-18 hours outpatient peds clinic

I'll be applying all over! USC, USAHS (San Marcos), UW, Columbia, NYU, Tufts, Stockton, Seton Hall, Kean, MCPHS, West Coast, Chatham

What are my chances/ what should I focus on? Any help is appreciated :)

Also- is anyone applying to Columbia? I just saw that they added video responses and I'm super nervous about that. Any idea of what it'llbe like?!

Am I allowed to submit my application for verification without turning in my personal statement in yet?

Just realized I never posted my stats in here!

Major: Psychology B.S., minor Anthropology
OTCAS GPA: 3.13 :(
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-4.0
GRE: 152Q, 156V, 5.0W
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 professor I do research with, 1 professor I TA'd for
Extra-Curricular/Volunteer:
- Club Rowing Team (leadership position)
- Club Swim Team
- TA for 1 semester
- 3 different research labs over the years (linguistics, cognition and memory, social psychology)

Observation hours/Employment:
- 64 hours hand therapy
- 21 hours acute care
- 60+ hours in SNF (still volunteering there)
- Worked at a large healthcare company for 2.5 years as a customer service representative

Applying to: way too many
Interviews: JWU, Brenau
Rejections: N/A
Acceptances: N/A

Am I allowed to submit my application for verification without turning in my personal statement in yet?
I believe the personal statement is something you have to have in before verification. You have to have all 4 sections done before you can submit (Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information, and then Program Materials if there are any)

Hi everyone! I would love my feedback on my stats. I am so nervous!

Undergrad: Quinnipiac University

Major: Health Science Studies

Minor: Psychology

Cumulative GPA: 3.55

GRE: not taking & applying to schools that don’t require it

Extra Curricular/Volunteer: President of Bobcats in the Community (community service club such as soup kitchens, nursing homes, and animal shelters), Activities Coordinator & now Vice President for Best Buddies, Secretary for Love Your Melon Foundation, Programming Administrator for QTHON (dance marathon at my school), Kappa Delta Sorority Choreographer/Peer mentor for special needs talent show

Work/experience: Worked at a special needs summer day camp, currently an intern at a special needs summer camp that is run by speech therapists and occupational therapists, babysitter for a girl with down-syndrome, assistant at an oncology/hematology doctors office

Observation hours: 43 at a hand therapy place, 40 at pediatric, 6 at pediatric, will be around 70 the special needs summer camp that I am interning at, and 2 1/2 at a facility for those with down-syndrome.

I am extremely nervous and would love some advice on my personal statement to help me stand out! I feel like my GPA is so low compared to others that I need to find other ways to stick out. Thank you and good luck to everyone :)
Hello! Do you have a list of schools that you are applying to that don't require the GRE?

Hi I have a question about Dominican University of California if anyone can help me out?

The university website states "If you do not complete all of your volunteer work experience at one location, a separate form is needed for each location” which leads me to believe we can have all 60 hours at one location, however on the OTCAS website under the supplemental questions tab it states "60 total hours of occupational therapy volunteer work experience at no fewer than two different locations.

I am not sure which statement I should be going by and whether or not I need to have more than one volunteer form completed even if I have 60 hours, if I do thats okay but I need to know so I can get ahold of the OT I volunteered with during that time!