OSU vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Br33zy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up at MCW, but have already been accepted to OSU. I'm an Ohio resident and think that OSU will be an awesome place to go to med school. I am thinking about cancelling my MCW interview, but of course am hesitant about closing off my options. If I canceled it would be saving a decent amount of money that I don't really have at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up at MCW, but have already been accepted to OSU. I'm an Ohio resident and think that OSU will be an awesome place to go to med school. I am thinking about cancelling my MCW interview, but of course am hesitant about closing off my options. If I canceled it would be saving a decent amount of money that I don't really have at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know anything about MCW's academics, but if you don't think you'd go to med school there in comparison to OSU, one of the main reasons I'd consider going to such interview is to see if it is somehow a better financial option. Since you are in-state at OSU...this seems unlikely? imho, cancel. (btw I'm also accepted at OSU and think it seems like an awesome place to attend med school too!)

I was accepted to both OSU and MCW and I have a lot of great things to say about both schools. MCW is a very nice school with great faculty and facilities, but it is a free standing medical school, not associated with a university. A big plus (from what the medical students told us) is that you do not compete for spots (for example in a research lab, or shadowing) with undergraduates and other health sciences/Ph.D. students. Personally, I found OSU to be a much better fit for me, I absolutely fell in love with the school when I interviewed. :) It is a big University (which I find very appealing), it seems to offer lots of opportunities to medical school students, and it will be cheaper (I'm OOS but can declare state residency after my 1st year). My interviews were scheduled during the same week, so of course I went to both. However, if I had been accepted to OSU first, I probably would not have gone to MCW. Anyways, this is just my personal experience. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! I think that my gut is telling me to cancel MCW, and I wanted some sort of backup on that I guess. I feel like it would be fun to go up and visit, but not worth the money, time, and someone else would probably appreciate the interview spot more than I would.

Thanks for the feedback! I think that my gut is telling me to cancel MCW, and I wanted some sort of backup on that I guess. I feel like it would be fun to go up and visit, but not worth the money, time, and someone else would probably appreciate the interview spot more than I would.

:thumbup: Had the exact same dilemma as you, and I made the same choice for the same reasons. Somebody else will definitely appreciate the interview slot.

We all have our own reasons. I'd choose MCW anyday... gd Buckeyes... ;)

I think you should go with your gut. :thumbup: Damned Ohioans, polluting up this side of the lake... :laugh: No but seriously, it sounds like financial considerations (cost of attendance, not cost to interview) make it unlikely you'd choose MCW, all other things being equal. So long as you don't have nonrefundable airfare, then I'd go with canceling the interview as well.

Thanks again for the input everyone, I ended up withdrawing. Hope someone appreciates my interview slot!

Status
Not open for further replies.