Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

Flux Capacitor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife has just started medical school at the UNTHSC TCOM. We both recently found out that she is required to be shirtless (bra only) in her Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine lab.

I'm very concerned about this in regards to how it may affect our relationship. From my understanding, there will be quite a bit of touching that will be involved, and I am not sure where exactly, although I'd rather not think about it.

Can someone chime in and provide more information about this? We're both very iffy about this. When does a doctor ever half to walk around almost naked? On top of that, some of the comments I've seen around the web in regards to OMM seem to indicate that the male students seem to be looking forward to this lab--for perverted reasons.

Seems quite ridiculous if you ask me. Looking forward to hearing responses.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont wanna have to tell you this man, she gonna be going after the BBC bc of OMM lab.

My wife has just started medical school at the UNTHSC TCOM. We both recently found out that she is required to be shirtless (bra only) in her Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine lab.

I'm very concerned about this in regards to how it may affect our relationship. From my understanding, there will be quite a bit of touching that will be involved, and I am not sure where exactly, although I'd rather not think about it.

Can someone chime in and provide more information about this? We're both very iffy about this. When does a doctor ever half to walk around almost naked? On top of that, some of the comments I've seen around the web in regards to OMM seem to indicate that the male students seem to be looking forward to this lab--for perverted reasons.

While it may vary from school to school, I've never heard of a school that indicated it had to be "bra only" - it's supposed to be a sports bra (which is still more revealing than wearing a shirt, but not as revealing as a standard bra). The reason for this is because the OMM technique has to do with touch (partly for diagnosis) and muscular manipulations. While skilled doctors are able to do this on patients who are wearing clothes, student doctors need to learn it first, and the most effective way is by direct skin-to-skin contact.

While I haven't gone through it, myself, my understanding is that the breasts are not touched. While male students may make claims about looking forward to the class for perverted reasons, students who have gone through it claim that it's generally uncomfortable for everyone at first (males are shirtless and in shorts), but eventually people get used to it and any sexual elements of being in that situation are removed by personal discomfort and academic focus.

Of course, perverts can find delight in just about anything...

I hope that allays some of your anxieties.

Members don't see this ad :)

Realize this - the people who are looking forward to this (for perverted reasons) are the ones who couldn't manage to swing a relationship if it depended on their life. The people who "look forward" to a groping session with a fellow female student are the same spineless/lame/shallow/neurotic pre-meds who won't get a girl without their VISA.

What I'm saying is this - don't worry about it because it'll pass. If they're fellow friends, then it won't mean ****. The ones that gets excited about it are the ones you really don't have to worry about, ever.

Thanks for your responses. It's a little more comforting to know that it won't be nearly as bad as I imagined. Also, yes I meant sports bra by 'bra only'.

I don't believe it is the actual lab that I felt worried about (I know it'll be an academic setting). Rather, it's preparing for exams and whatnot. Will classmates be required to get together outside of class to 'practice' on eachother? That is my main concern.

Maybe I am just thinking of from the wrong angle, but it almost seems as though this is essentially providing male students an opportunity to take advantage of female students. I realize that there would be few cases of such individuals, but I also realize that there will at least be a few.

they will prob practice on each other to be honest. so just accept it. its not like she is gonna be blowing guys bc of OMM lab. jeez man, have some confidence

If you're this concerned about something that is such a non-issue then there's a pretty good chance your marriage is already ****ed.

I don't believe it is the actual lab that I felt worried about (I know it'll be an academic setting). Rather, it's preparing for exams and whatnot. Will classmates be required to get together outside of class to 'practice' on eachother? That is my main concern.

Maybe I am just thinking of from the wrong angle, but it almost seems as though this is essentially providing male students an opportunity to take advantage of female students. I realize that there would be few cases of such individuals, but I also realize that there will at least be a few.
She doesn't have to practice (or be practiced on) by male students - she has full control over that. As for male students taking advantage of female students... that would be sexual harassment (or worse) and could lead to some serious disciplinary action. I won't say that it doesn't happen, but I would imagine that the overwhelming majority of people who make it to this level are not the types to do something like that. Or, even if they were, they're not going to blow away their career over something like this (they can probably pick up girls at a bar much more easily - and there's no risk of reprimand).

Why not get involved? The main practice has to do with practicing the techniques - being practiced on is part of the class, but it's not as important as far as passing exams are concerned. Why not volunteer to let your wife practice on you? It will ultimately be better if she can practice on many different people to gain experience for working with different body types, but there's one solution. As a bonus, it's time that the two of you get to spend together, it should feel nice for you, and of course, she's getting in practice at the same time.

Dont worry. Most of the time people wear scrubs. And when she does have to take her scrub off, most of the time the OMM will be on her back. Schools allow people to pair up as they please, since most of the time it's a group thing and then people in the group pair off by themselves.
_OMS IV

Having made it through half of OMT, it ain't that bad. My school just requires loose fitting clothes i.e. no jeans, etc. Pretty much scrubs.

As far as touching, the faculty at my school conduct themselves in a professional manner and expect the students to follow suit. Some touching around the breasts will occur such as feeling for rib motion both near the sternum and along the arm pit line but thats about the extent.

After the first few sessions, everyone will be like a tight knit family and its no big deal to touch "near" some one's privy areas, its just the job. Our school encouraged practicing on both sexes as you will deal with both in the field and need to be familiar with both.

And as a married man with my wife being the outside one, its really the relationship between you and your spouse that dictates your level of comfort with this. If you trust each other and cherish that, there should be no reason to worry.