Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@TeamZissou- one of the Michigan programs is/was in danger of closing do you know which one that is?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm not sure. There was some question of what was happening at Promedica Monroe (changing PD's, how many rotations done in Toledo, would the program move to Toledo etc). Things have stabilized and the program is in no jeopardy of closing and will stay in Monroe. Just delayed the paperwork for ACGME application since had to have new names/positions filled.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
ProMedica Monroe - Monroe, MI
Southeastern Health - Lumberton, NC
Inspira Health Network Program - Vineland, NJ
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
Lakeland Health- St Joseph, MI
Adena Health Systems - Chillicothe, OH
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Ohio Valley- Wheeling, WV
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
Kent Hospital - Warwick, RI
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
McLaren Oakland - Pontiac, MI
Memorial Hospital - York, PA
Orange Regional - Middletown, NY
Rowan Kennedy - Stratford, NJ
Mercy Health - Muskegon, MI
Beaumont-Farmington (Formerly Botsford) - Farmington Hills, Mi

For those with a good number of interviews at this point, were your applications complete (with the required # of LORs/SLOEs)?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those with a good number of interviews at this point, were your applications complete (with the required # of LORs/SLOEs)?

I have 7, submitted with only 1 EM LOR, no SLOE uploaded yet, submitted on July 15

I have 6 and I had 1 EM letter, 1 SLOE, and 1 nonEM letter in within a week or 2 of July 15 I believe. I think I will try to get one more SLOE in the upcoming month.

IMO I would be cautious of programs without PRE-ccreditation at this point. Its my understanding it doesn't take much to get this. I am told some are interviewing even if its not clear they will get said accreditation.

edit: PRE not initial these are actually different things....

Last edited:
Initial accreditation isn't the same as pre-accreditation. The latter is easier; the former takes more time from what I understand.

Also remember that, until an AOA program is initially accredited by the ACGME, they're still subject to AOA review and inspection. If a program is trying to prep for multiple site inspections and reviews, their entire timeline may be slowed done or thrown off.

To clarify:

Pre-accreditation: Easy to obtain. Basically, the program just fills out a form. It signifies an intent to gain initial accredidation. It doesn't mean the program meets ACGME standards. Nor does it mean the ACGME will ever give that program accredidation (they have to prove they meet the standards later as noted below). Pre-accredited programs are still under regulation by the AOA, can only participate in the AOA match, and graduating residents can only take osteopathic boards.

Initial accredidation: This is actual ACGME accredidation. Pre-accredited programs have to have a site visit and be compliant with ACGME regulations. The ACGME RRC reviews an extensive application from the initial site visit and followup queries and then approves programs that fully meet ACGME standards. Once programs get initial accredidation, they can match via the ACGME match and graduating residents can take allopathic boards upon graduation.

Pre-accredidation is kind of meaningless to be honest. There are pre-accreditted programs that will not be able to meet the ACGME standards and will have to close down. Being pre-accredited just means you signed up for an intent to get accredidation. No programs get turned away from pre-accredidation. Its the next step, the initial accredidation after the site visit, that is the hard part.

Reactions: 1 users
As for timing, pre-accredidation occurs quickly. Any AOA program that hasn't applied for pre-accredidation probably isn't planning on seeking accredidation by the ACGME. Its super easy to do, there is zero reason any AOA program shouldn't be preaccreditted at this point.

As for initial accredidation, it is definitely a timely process. We were told we had the first site review for EM by the ACGME. Ours was early last year, near the beginning of the academic year. It took about 9 months or so, almost a year, until we gained accredidation. There was a lot of clarification stuff that the ACGME would send us, then we'd clarify and make changes and send back. Each time, there was always long waits in between. The first RRC meeting deciding on accredidation wasn't until the spring anyways. We got approved at the first RRC meeting where they were approving single accredidation programs, along with several other programs. Despite being the first to get a site visit and being in the first batch of RRC approved programs, the process still took nearly a year.

To clarify:

Pre-accreditation: Easy to obtain. Basically, the program just fills out a form. It signifies an intent to gain initial accredidation. It doesn't mean the program meets ACGME standards. Nor does it mean the ACGME will ever give that program accredidation (they have to prove they meet the standards later as noted below). Pre-accredited programs are still under regulation by the AOA, can only participate in the AOA match, and graduating residents can only take osteopathic boards.

Initial accredidation: This is actual ACGME accredidation. Pre-accredited programs have to have a site visit and be compliant with ACGME regulations. The ACGME RRC reviews an extensive application from the initial site visit and followup queries and then approves programs that fully meet ACGME standards. Once programs get initial accredidation, they can match via the ACGME match and graduating residents can take allopathic boards upon graduation.

Pre-accredidation is kind of meaningless to be honest. There are pre-accreditted programs that will not be able to meet the ACGME standards and will have to close down. Being pre-accredited just means you signed up for an intent to get accredidation. No programs get turned away from pre-accredidation. Its the next step, the initial accredidation after the site visit, that is the hard part.

So would you recommend applicants avoid programs that are not attempting at least pre-accreditation at this point(although it does appear worthless from your review of the experience)? Or do you have a different subset you would avoid?

I just worry that some of my colleagues will be left high and dry based on the AOA track record of "help" when programs close.

So would you recommend applicants avoid programs that are not attempting at least pre-accreditation at this point(although it does appear worthless from your review of the experience)? Or do you have a different subset you would avoid?

I just worry that some of my colleagues will be left high and dry based on the AOA track record of "help" when programs close.

Perhaps I shouldn't have called pre-accredidation meaningless. It is a big application. My point is, you get pre-accredited no matter what the application says. The ACGME doesn't review the application. Just filling it out means you are pre-accredited. Its basically a participation trophy. The real work is when the ACGME scrutinizes the application, makes you address any and all things that don't meet their standards, have your site review, change more things, then finally get accredited by the RRC.

Is it meaningless? No. It does signify that a program at least has the intent to apply for ACGME accredidation. At this point, if a program isn't at least applying for pre-accredidation sometime this year, I'd seriously question their intentions.

FYI, this is the last year for programs to apply for pre-accredidation basically if they still want to participate in the AOA match. AOA deadline for applying for ACGME pre-accredidation is Jan 1st, 2017 for EM. After that, programs are not allowed to participate in the AOA match. The below link has a list of specialty deadlines:

https://www.osteopathic.org/inside-...Documents/Program deadline charts 3-18-16.pdf

So in that sense, pre-accredidation is a big deal. Its easy status to obtain, and if a program doesn't do it by the next 6 months, they can't match in the AOA match in the future. That is obviously a very, very terrible sign.

I'd avoid programs that either haven't gotten pre-accredited, or aren't in the process of filling out the application right now, like the plague.

For those doing the AOA EM match:

One thing I'd target in interviews: Most programs are pre-accredited, or at least applying now if they are still planning on being around. They have until Jan 1st, 2017. So, I'm assuming most people aren't going to want to interview at a place that isn't at least working on their application at some point. Most will be pre-accredited by interview season if they plan to be around. Some will have been pre-accredited for some time.

So the big question you are going to want to ask are:
1. Have you had your site visit yet or has your application been reviewed for initial accredidation?
2. Were you denied initial accredidation initially or is your initial review still pending?
3. What barriers prevented you getting initial accredidation, or do you foresee preventing initial accredidation?
4. What are the plans to fix these barriers to ulitimately get initial accredidation?

So these are good questions for an APD or PD to answer, probably less so for general faculty or residents. Find a nice way to ask this, like "where are you in the accredidation process? Did you have a site visit? Did your application review show any deficiencies that need fixed to gain accredidation?

For some programs, this may take several years to fix all their barriers/deficiencies (they have until 2020), for others, they'll easily transition. Your job is to figure out which are which.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps I shouldn't have called pre-accredidation meaningless. It is a big application. My point is, you get pre-accredited no matter what the application says. The ACGME doesn't review the application. Just filling it out means you are pre-accredited. Its basically a participation trophy. The real work is when the ACGME scrutinizes the application, makes you address any and all things that don't meet their standards, have your site review, change more things, then finally get accredited by the RRC.

Is it meaningless? No. It does signify that a program at least has the intent to apply for ACGME accredidation. At this point, if a program isn't at least applying for pre-accredidation sometime this year, I'd seriously question their intentions.

FYI, this is the last year for programs to apply for pre-accredidation basically if they still want to participate in the AOA match. AOA deadline for applying for ACGME pre-accredidation is Jan 1st, 2017 for EM. After that, programs are not allowed to participate in the AOA match. The below link has a list of specialty deadlines:

https://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/single-gme-accreditation-system/Documents/Program deadline charts 3-18-16.pdf

So in that sense, pre-accredidation is a big deal. Its easy status to obtain, and if a program doesn't do it by the next 6 months, they can't match in the AOA match in the future. That is obviously a very, very terrible sign.

I'd avoid programs that either haven't gotten pre-accredited, or aren't in the process of filling out the application right now, like the plague.

Does that mean any program NOT on this list: https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun?ReportId=18&CurrentYear=2016&SpecialtyId=10
should be avoided?

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Einstein - Philadelphia, PA

They didn't get initial accreditation. They have to wait for next site visit.

I'm going to say yes. Out of the 61 programs listed on the Opportunities site, apparently only 27 have gone to the effort. While this is not good news to students at the margins of matching, I think it is really going to help improve the quality of EM training across the board as well as curtail the expansion of the specialty (to a modest extent).

I'm going to say yes. Out of the 61 programs listed on the Opportunities site, apparently only 27 have gone to the effort. While this is not good news to students at the margins of matching, I think it is really going to help improve the quality of EM training across the board as well as curtail the expansion of the specialty (to a modest extent).

I have edited my above post to reflect pre accreditation rather than initial. I would be extremely weary of programs who aren't even per-accredited yet. There are basically no requirements for it. If you match there and they end up closing, you're out of luck. Kind of sucks for these few cycles but once the match combines it will be work out better for applicants who would shy away from the allo match and make training better in general.

I have edited my above post to reflect pre accreditation rather than initial. I would be extremely weary of programs who aren't even per-accredited yet. There are basically no requirements for it. If you match there and they end up closing, you're out of luck. Kind of sucks for these few cycles but once the match combines it will be work out better for applicants who would shy away from the allo match and make training better in general.

Agreed. There is a program in Michigan that is pretty bad off, and almost closed from what I have been told. I would just recommend to my future colleagues to be cautious with all programs without any plans to get accreditation.

I wish that residents from these programs that haven't done at least the pre-accreditation paperwork would inform the osteopathic medical students about tentative plans to fix this issue.

Agreed. There is a program in Michigan that is pretty bad off, and almost closed from what I have been told. I would just recommend to my future colleagues to be cautious with all programs without any plans to get accreditation.

I wish that residents from these programs that haven't done at least the pre-accreditation paperwork would inform the osteopathic medical students about tentative plans to fix this issue.

Do you happen to know which program it is/are they taking steps to move forward with accreditation? I expect to be interviewing at a decent amount of MI programs and definitely would want to address that with the PD. I don't think they can fault us for wanting to match into a program that will be accredited.

Do you happen to know which program it is/are they taking steps to move forward with accreditation? I expect to be interviewing at a decent amount of MI programs and definitely would want to address that with the PD. I don't think they can fault us for wanting to match into a program that will be accredited.

I have a pretty good ideal which one it was based on convo with friends but unless they are officially closing it would be harmful to that residency for me to say they are closing and do not. If you don't see a program with at least pre-accreditation by the time rank list are due I would not rank them or if you do decide to rank that type of program realize you take a risk of being unable to complete your residency.

Last edited:
Since all programs are required to apply for pre-accreditation by 1/1/17, won't any program without pre-accreditation be essentially considered closing by the time match lists are due? It seems strange that programs without pre-accreditation after Jan 1st would even participate in the match.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Good Samaritan - West Islip, NY

Since all programs are required to apply for pre-accreditation by 1/1/17, won't any program without pre-accreditation be essentially considered closing by the time match lists are due? It seems strange that programs without pre-accreditation after Jan 1st would even participate in the match.

You are forgetting, not every program is ethical and some see us as inexpensive parts to keep the machine going. Them caring about your future isn't as high as their own. I mean what Hospital wouldn't want to save six figures a year for the next few while they can.

Last edited:
Word of caution regarding all those "avoid programs that aren't even pre-accredited statements." There is not rush for a program to submit an application right up to the deadline. Some programs are just a bit slower or more cautious submitting the application because they heard the initial inspection usually occurs shortly after that step, and they want all their ducks in a row.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Beaumont Oakwood - Trenton, MI

Word of caution regarding all those "avoid programs that aren't even pre-accredited statements." There is not rush for a program to submit an application right up to the deadline. Some programs are just a bit slower or more cautious submitting the application because they heard the initial inspection usually occurs shortly after that step, and they want all their ducks in a row.

Jan 1, 2017 is the last day for these programs to apply for pre-accreditation if I remember correctly. That's a worrisome sign to me personally for a program to wait til the last minute to get this task completed for it's future residents. It's one thing to be cautious but another to be borderline negligent especially with interview season being in the middle of it all.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2017 is the last day for these programs to apply for pre-accreditation if I remember correctly. That's a worrisome sign to me personally for a program to wait til the last minute to get this task completed for it's future residents. It's one thing to be cautious but another be borderline negligent especially with interview season being in the middle of it all.

Agreed. If a program can't be bothered or is not organized enough to address what is the single largest issue facing their future existence, I can't see how this isn't a big deal to applicants. Applicants have spent 4 years and invested a considerable amount of money in getting to this point. Can you imagine how a place that treats its own accreditation like this will treat your needs as a resident?

So what does that say about Arrowhead? That is, to my MD knowledge, possibly the strongest DO EM program, and they haven't gotten "precerted" yet. (Or, at least, I didn't see them on the list the one time I looked at it.)

Apollyon- they are on the pre-accreditation list.

Last edited:
Anyone else get an interview at Good Samaritan only to go on ERAS and 2 of their 3 dates are full and the other one is unavailable to schedule? Or have this happen with another program? Should I contact them directly about this or wait it out a bit?

I'd heard that somewhere, but it was a while ago, so I don't recall specifics - it was just the "top 1/3" that stuck with me.

Was it by any chance a resident at Arrowhead that told you that?

No. I, honestly, don't know anyone that did residency there. Hell, I don't know if St. Barnabas in the Bronx, or UPMC-Hamot is stronger.

And, by that statement, I show you I know little.

Among osteopathic programs, they are pretty good, but I do not think that they, or any former AOA program, will be upper 1/3rd any time soon. I rotated there and know some of their residents - the program makes really good doctors.

Among osteopathic programs, they are pretty good, but I do not think that they, or any former AOA program, will be upper 1/3rd any time soon. I rotated there and know some of their residents - the program makes really good doctors.

And, in the end, isn't that what matters?

And, in the end, isn't that what matters?

I suppose that depends. Based upon my limited experience, I think that there are many other programs that "make" equivalently good physicians that offer more to their residents. But, whether those other things matter is subject to opinion.

Anyone else get an interview at Good Samaritan only to go on ERAS and 2 of their 3 dates are full and the other one is unavailable to schedule? Or have this happen with another program? Should I contact them directly about this or wait it out a bit?
No, I got my date fine. I just think they filled up fast.

What does this "upper 1/3rd" mean and who gives a ****?

Reactions: 4 users
Hope this answers some of the above questions:

1. I'd be weary of any program that doesn't have pre-accredidation, but as some have suggested, many just waited and are applying at the last second. I'd just make sure to ask those that don't have pre-accredidation what their plans are. I'd flat out ask them "are you applying for pre-accredidation this year". If they say no, then I'd consider canceling my interview (if you have that luxury) or taking them off the rank list (again if you have that luxury)
2. Re: 2017 deadline. Programs just have to meet that deadline to keep participating in the match through 2020. If they don't, they can't participate in the match, but they don't have to close their doors and shut down the program until 2020.
3. As I can best understand it, that would mean for EM, to participate in this years match (since its after Jan 2017), a site would have to have pre-accredidation. Otherwise, then a program who has plans to just close down rather than merge would be able to match candidates who would then have to find another residency in their 4th year (2020).

Reactions: 5 users
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
UH Regional Hospital - Richmond Heights, OH

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Cape Fear Valley - Fayetteville, NC

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Henry Ford Wyandotte - Wyandotte, MI

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Desert Regional Medical Center - Palm Springs, CA

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Aria - Philadelphia, PA
St. John - Westlake, OH
MWU/CCOM - Chicago, IL
Desert Regional Medical Center - Palm Springs, CA
Henry Ford Allegiance - Jackson, MI

Do you know if they wait till after you do your audition at HF Allegiance before they give you an interview? I rotate there for a couple weeks in November and I haven't gotten an invite yet.

Do you know if they wait till after you do your audition at HF Allegiance before they give you an interview? I rotate there for a couple weeks in November and I haven't gotten an invite yet.

Don't know if this helps, but I just came from an audition there in September and got an invite a day or two ago.