Osteo. GI Fellowship with Allo IM for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all Doctors,
I am osteopathic medical student ( I guess I am a newbie in this forum). I would like to ask if a DO can do allo IM residency and later apply to osteopathic GI Fellowships.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You can. I don't know the politics of whether PDs look down on that or not, but make sure you jump through the AOA rule 92 or whatever rule that is to get your ACGME residency approved. If you want a flat answer from the horses mouth about what might be needed to do this, contact the ACOI, I think it would be Gary Slick the Exec director who'd answer this type of question.

Also, on a side note. I would make sure to look very closely at the programs you're applying to. I'm in the process of applying to pulm and some of the DO fellowships I've looked at are in hospitals where I'm not sure there should be a fellowship program. Granted, this is my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Hello all Doctors,
I am osteopathic medical student ( I guess I am a newbie in this forum). I would like to ask if a DO can do allo IM residency and later apply to osteopathic GI Fellowships.

Thank you

Hi TexDO

I am a soon to be TCOM DO student. I was looking around the AOA residency website (http://opportunities.osteopathic.org) and noticed that there is a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited GI program in Michigan at St John Health Osteopathic Division.:D Combine that with a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Residency at St John Health Osteopathic Division in Warren, MI or the other 27 dual accredited internal medicine programs around the country which would allow you to board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) . This would allow you to apply to both osteopathic and Allopathic GI fellowships greatly increasing the number of fellowships you can apply to.:) I don't know your thoughts about living in Michigan but it can't be that bad.:cool:

Also if the GI program is Dual AOA/ACGME accredited it may make it easier for you to apply to the program coming from an Allo IM program.

If you are interested in other dual programs go to the AOA residency website (http://opportunities.osteopathic.org) and click program search and look under residencies. Then click the button "Advanced search" and go to the bottom of the page and click "Dual AOA/ACGME accredited Program" box. That should allow you to search for Dual accredited programs.

Sorry if you know this already. I wish you the best of luck.:thumbup:

This is the link for the Dual AOA/ACGME accredited GI program in Michigan at St John Health Osteopathic Division. It may not work as my HTML skills are not so good.

Click here

What a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited program Means:

Dual Program - Is an AOA program in which an osteopathic trainee is registered in a residency program that is accredited by both the AOA and ACGME. The osteopathic trainee receives both AOA and ACGME credit. Trainees who complete dual programs have the option to become board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).

Also if it is accredited by both there is a good chance that it is at least a decent program as it has too meet both standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi TexDO

I am a soon to be TCOM DO student. I was looking around the AOA residency website (http://opportunities.osteopathic.org) and noticed that there is a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited GI program in Michigan at St John Health Osteopathic Division.:D Combine that with a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Residency at St John Health Osteopathic Division in Warren, MI or the other 27 dual accredited internal medicine programs around the country which would allow you to board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) . This would allow you to apply to both osteopathic and Allopathic GI fellowships greatly increasing the number of fellowships you can apply to.:) I don't know your thoughts about living in Michigan but it can’t be that bad.:cool:

Also if the GI program is Dual AOA/ACGME accredited it may make it easier for you to apply to the program coming from an Allo IM program.

If you are interested in other dual programs go to the AOA residency website (http://opportunities.osteopathic.org) and click program search and look under residencies. Then click the button "Advanced search" and go to the bottom of the page and click “Dual AOA/ACGME accredited Program” box. That should allow you to search for Dual accredited programs.

Sorry if you know this already. I wish you the best of luck.:thumbup:

This is the link for the Dual AOA/ACGME accredited GI program in Michigan at St John Health Osteopathic Division. It may not work as my HTML skills are not so good.

Click here

What a Dual AOA/ACGME accredited program Means:

Dual Program - Is an AOA program in which an osteopathic trainee is registered in a residency program that is accredited by both the AOA and ACGME. The osteopathic trainee receives both AOA and ACGME credit. Trainees who complete dual programs have the option to become board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).

Also if it is accredited by both there is a good chance that it is at least a decent program as it has too meet both standards.

Thank you very much. It's really helpful and totally rocked my Qs. Anyway, I am from TX too. Congrat on being DO student at TCOM.
Wish you the best in the future.
TXDO:)

You can. I don't know the politics of whether PDs look down on that or not, but make sure you jump through the AOA rule 92 or whatever rule that is to get your ACGME residency approved. If you want a flat answer from the horses mouth about what might be needed to do this, contact the ACOI, I think it would be Gary Slick the Exec director who'd answer this type of question.

Also, on a side note. I would make sure to look very closely at the programs you're applying to. I'm in the process of applying to pulm and some of the DO fellowships I've looked at are in hospitals where I'm not sure there should be a fellowship program. Granted, this is my personal opinion.

Thanks for the advice Dr. Hernadez. I sure will follow your advice.:)