Ortho Rotation--3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Monday is my first day. Clearly I'm not privy to the procedures we'll be doing. With this in mind, what things would be helpful for me to look over before I start?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Find out what procedures are going to be done and try to figure out approaches if possible. I would "bone" up on anatomy of the hip/pelvis and knee if you don't know what surgeries are going to be done. Know the nerves/blood vessels that you're trying to avoid. Also would help to know about why procedures are being done (ie indications for THA)

DrMaryC said:
This Monday is my first day. Clearly I'm not privy to the procedures we'll be doing. With this in mind, what things would be helpful for me to look over before I start?

Thanks.

Don't go overboard on this....you are not expected to know any more than the basics. I would seriously bone up on your joint exam skills and anatomy about the joints...in particular major nerves, muscle groups, and bone anatomy (eg trochanters). This sounds basic but it isn't. Given that 99% of med students aren't going into ortho, you will be most expected to know how to perform the exams, so have these down cold.

If you simply know how to do the exams and know your anatomy you will be golden. Even if you're heading for an ortho residency, this is the only stuff expected from ortho-bound med student rotators when starting the rotation.

dry dre said:
Don't go overboard on this....you are not expected to know any more than the basics. I would seriously bone up on your joint exam skills and anatomy about the joints...in particular major nerves, muscle groups, and bone anatomy (eg trochanters). This sounds basic but it isn't. Given that 99% of med students aren't going into ortho, you will be most expected to know how to perform the exams, so have these down cold.

If you simply know how to do the exams and know your anatomy you will be golden. Even if you're heading for an ortho residency, this is the only stuff expected from ortho-bound med student rotators when starting the rotation.

Thanks. :) Yesterday went fine. Was pimped on a lot of anatomy, but the attending was an excellent teacher. I'm a little more relaxed now that I know what to expect.