3rd year ortho resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey I am a 3rd year doing an elective in ortho spine surgery and wanted to know what resources were good to learn about common procedures, complications, etc to familiarize myself with what is going on before I get there so I can be a bit more informed. Also any other info that would help is appreciated especially what is really expected of a 3rd year in the OR as I have not had my gen surgery rotation yet. Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

My 3rd year elective was ortho spine. Here are some of the resources I found helpful:

Orthobullets
Netter's Concise Orthopaedic Anatomy
Handbook of Fractures
Surgical Exposures in Orthopedics
Pocket Pimped
Physical examination of the spine and extremities (probably too much detail for a 3rd year but the attendings wanted me to read the sections on cervical and lumbar spine)

Try to be helpful in the OR without getting in the way. Help with moving and positioning. I don't think anyone will fault you for taking a step back for the first few cases just to observe the general flow in the OR. Hopefully they operate with the scope so you will be able to watch on the screen.

Reactions: 1 user
My 3rd year elective was ortho spine. Here are some of the resources I found helpful:

Orthobullets
Netter's Concise Orthopaedic Anatomy
Handbook of Fractures
Surgical Exposures in Orthopedics
Pocket Pimped
Physical examination of the spine and extremities (probably too much detail for a 3rd year but the attendings wanted me to read the sections on cervical and lumbar spine)

Try to be helpful in the OR without getting in the way. Help with moving and positioning. I don't think anyone will fault you for taking a step back for the first few cases just to observe the general flow in the OR. Hopefully they operate with the scope so you will be able to watch on the screen.
appreciate it, are there any hands on things i should be prepared to do (sutures or things like this) I have one experience actually doing things in the OR for OB where I was asked to do sub-Q sutures but I had never done one before so trying to avoid saying no to opportunities this time around

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes subcuticular interrupted sutures would be good to brush up on. Maybe running subcuticular as well. When the fellow was doing the approach I would irrigate and suction. Sometimes retract but once the retractors are set up there is not much to hold. If the attending asks for a rongeur, kerrison, or pituitary grab a raytec and be prepared to grab the soft tissue or bone

Yes subcuticular interrupted sutures would be good to brush up on. Maybe running subcuticular as well. When the fellow was doing the approach I would irrigate and suction. Sometimes retract but once the retractors are set up there is not much to hold. If the attending asks for a rongeur, kerrison, or pituitary grab a raytec and be prepared to grab the soft tissue or bone
appreciate it