ORTHO Match Results 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Specialty/Where: Orthodontics
Just be yourself and you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sfiles,

what do you mean ortho school is a lot of hard work? :eek:
Isn't dental school alot of hard work too?
How are they different?

yes dental school is a lot of hard work as well. what i meant was we don't learn a lot of ortho in dental school. the ortho i "thought" i knew from dental school i really didn't understand. basically you enter ortho starting from scratch. imo.
ie. conversely, if i were to have done endo, i would think that having done a few molar endo's, etc i would know the basic concepts, etc.

Specialty/Where: Orthodontics
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
NBDE Part I/II scores: 85
Class Ranking: 13/82
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: 2: 1 wk @ program and 5 week @ private practice
Research: 3 projects before dental school, 1 in dental school, presenter @ IADR
Extracurriculars: lots and lots, tons of volunteer, previous work experience in public health
Programs Applied: 20+
Interview Invites: 4
Interviews attended: 4 (was offered non match but declined to stay in match, luckily i matched.)

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, it sucks to get 89 on part I... you're not 80, but you're not 90 either. do you think i have a chance?

Specialty/Where: Ortho
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/88
GRE: 790 math, 790 verbal, 4 essays
Class Ranking: 1/about 90
Match/Non-Match: Did not match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: undergrad honors thesis in computer science
Extracurriculars: numerous activities and organizations as well as many awards
Programs Applied: 7 programs
Interview Invites:5 programs (Baylor, Houston, University of the Pacific, Louisville, San Antonio)
Interviews attended: 5
Programs Ranked: 4

Two of the schools strongly indicated that they would want me there, so I'm very disappointed I didn't match. :(

It's really shocking, you did really excellent job on your tests. the only thing i may think of is bad luck,,,
Can I ask how you got that score on your verbal? I mean which test prep materials you used? I'm an international dentist and English is my second language.any point or tip is a great help for me.

it is not shocking at all
although this applicant statistics are excellent, but many people with such statistics only apply to schools with high reputations and well known clinical experience (which are targeted by majority), so limiting chances of acceptance (the more you apply, the more chances you will get)