ORTHO Match Results 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post the good news! Here's the format:

Name:
Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess I will start this off.

Specialty/Where: Not this year :(
Dental School Attended:Washington
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/?
Class Ranking: 1/55
Match/Non-Match: Did not match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: One project soon to be published in the AJODO, and another still underway
Extracurriculars: TONS!
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: UW, Baylor, Michigan, UCONN, VCU, UNC, Houston, UCLA, WVU/ UW, Baylor, Michigan, UCONN/ UW, Baylor, Michigan/ UW, Baylor, Michigan

Last edited:

Research: One project soon to be published in the AJODO, and another still underway
oops! very disencouraging=(

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow... I have to imagine this was like, a paperwork error or something along those lines...

Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: UW, Baylor, Michigan, UCONN, VCU, UNC, Houston, UCLA, WVU/ UW, Baylor, Michigan, UCONN/ UW, Baylor, Michigan/ UW, Baylor, Michigan
Wow, sorry for the bad news, but I agree this must be a paper/computer error. I see that you ranked Michigan #3. Now I am scratching my head becuase Michigan has 2 unfilled position....there is no way that you would not have been matched, and if this is reality, then Michigan has some issues in their rankings....You may still get a call from Michigan becuase they need two more positions to be filled....another posibility is that some of these schools may be intimidated by you outstanding stats and decided that you would choose another program over them, leading to no programs ranking you...I don't know, still scratching my head

Name:
Specialty/Where: Ortho
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS: more than 5 yrs ago
NBDE Part I/II scores: 98/91
Class Ranking: Top 5% 1st 3 yrs, Top 20% 4th yr
Match/Non-Match: withdraw from match due to accepting nonmatch program
Externship(s)/where:
Research: 2 published papers
Extracurriculars: tons
Programs Applied: 32 programs
Interview Invites:9 programs (UOP, Mayo, St Barnabas, Jacksonville, USC, AZ, NYU etc..)
Interviews attended: 1
Programs Ranked: 0

Last edited:
Wow, sorry for the bad news, but I agree this must be a paper/computer error. I see that you ranked Michigan #3. Now I am scratching my head becuase Michigan has 2 unfilled position....there is no way that you would not have been matched, and if this is reality, then Michigan has some issues in their rankings....You may still get a call from Michigan becuase they need two more positions to be filled....another posibility is that some of these schools may be intimidated by you outstanding stats and decided that you would choose another program over them, leading to no programs ranking you...I don't know, still scratching my head
I think some programs intentionally rank fewer candidates than their class size because they want to have the freedom to accept the candidate of their choice (maybe someone they know?) after the match date. My GPR program did that.

I notice that a lot of the programs that cl24wu06 applied to are very well known/research-oriented programs. These programs have stipends or very low tuition fees…therefore, it is a little bit harder to get in. For the next application cycle, I think he should apply to less well known programs….such as Louisville:).

Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/88
GRE: 790 math, 790 verbal, 4 essays
Class Ranking: 1/about 90
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: undergrad honors thesis in computer science
Extracurriculars: numerous activities and organizations as well as many awards
Programs Applied: 7 programs
Interview Invites:5 programs (Baylor, Houston, University of the Pacific, Louisville, San Antonio)
Interviews attended: 5
Programs Ranked: 4

Two of the schools strongly indicated that they would want me there, so I'm very disappointed I didn't match. :(

miso, your gre verbal kicks ass!
I'm scratching my head wondering why our best students are not matching?
curious why did u only rank 4 programs out of the 5 you went. that could have improved your chances of matching.

miso, your gre verbal kicks ass!
I'm scratching my head wondering why our best students are not matching?
curious why did u only rank 4 programs out of the 5 you went. that could have improved your chances of matching.
Well one school does not classify residents as students, so you cannot get financial aid. Moonlighting is strongly discouraged, and you are required to pay $14K/year. It is possible to get loans the last two years by doing a masters in something non-dental such as cell biology. I just could not imagine how I could get by financially if I matched there, and I really wouldn't want to have to study cell bio or something just to get financial aid.

I always recommend that people not be picky in the beginning and apply to as many programs as possible. You never know how many interviews you will receive and also be able to attend. You can see from the examples above how quickly the number of schools dropped from "applied to" --> "ranked". I applied to 25, recieved 13 interviews and ranked 8. Go with the shotgun approach at first and then be picky when you're ranking.

Also, for those that had great numbers but didn't match, I hope you don't take offense to this suggestion, but you may want to also re-evaluate your interview skills. Having been on the other side of the application process, I can tell you that high numbers doesn't always translate to great interviewer/people skills. So don't give up, take this opportunity to self-evaluate and improve yourself for next year.

Good luck

I think some programs intentionally rank fewer candidates than their class size because they want to have the freedom to accept the candidate of their choice (maybe someone they know?) after the match date. My GPR program did that.

I notice that a lot of the programs that cl24wu06 applied to are very well known/research-oriented programs. These programs have stipends or very low tuition fees…therefore, it is a little bit harder to get in. For the next application cycle, I think he should apply to less well known programs….such as Louisville:).

What numbers does Louisville typically accept?

Well one school does not classify residents as students, so you cannot get financial aid. Moonlighting is strongly discouraged, and you are required to pay $14K/year. It is possible to get loans the last two years by doing a masters in something non-dental such as cell biology. I just could not imagine how I could get by financially if I matched there, and I really wouldn't want to have to study cell bio or something just to get financial aid.

I think people also have to ask themselves this:

Would I rather not match than go to program XYZ?

If you can't say that you would rather not match than attend a particular program, then you better rank it.... By this standard, I would imagine that most people would rank 100 percent of the programs that they interviewed at. I see that one guy above didn't rank several of the places he interviewed at.... clearly he would rather not match than attend those programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
i saw that there were 3 programs, with a total of 7 unmatched positions. someone said michigan had 2 open spots, what were the other programs?

don't give away all the secrets, ctweed ;)

good to see one maybe two people got in to a program. Where is everybody else? Your stats and story would help us all. Thanks peoples

ok, i'll play

Specialty/Where: Orthodontics, University of Louisville :)
Dental School Attended: Maryland
NBDE Part I/II scores: nothing amazing / not taken yet
Class Ranking: 1/123
Match/Non-Match: Match
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Some
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 9 / 7 / 6 / 6

Listen to those who have been through it before. Personally I went through 2 years of rejection before matching to the 6th program on my list on the third try.

1) Apply to as many programs as humanly possible regardless of your stats. This means that applying to 30 - 40 programs is not considered crazy. Don't listen to what your uninformed dental classmates say.
2) Juggle your schedule whichever way possible to attend all interviews. The only time you should turn down an interview is if it conflicts with another one.
3) Treat EVERY INTERVIEW as your first choice. Yes, even if it means you will have to move 1600 miles away to the middle of a red square state. Residency is a temporary move. I was so hung up on location and being on the east coast the first two times that it was probably obvious at some interviews. On the flip side when I was a resident, I overheard candidates telling other candidates how a different program was their true first choice. Bad idea.
4) Rank EVERY PROGRAM you interviewed with. It is the difference between matching somewhere, anywhere versus getting no match at all and scrambling around in some half-baked back up plan for the next year.
5) Don't believe any "good vibes" a program gives you during the interview. You have no idea if they are being genuine or just lying because they feel like messing with you.
6) There is an art to interviewing. IMO, it takes practice unless you are a born salesman. In retrospect, I probably had some pretty unimpressive interviews my first two times but at the time I didn't realize I was a crappy interviewee. You have to sell yourself and it is a hard sell.
7) You are in no position to be picky. If getting a certificate means you will have to do all your own lab work, work without an assistant, take classes in cell biology, mount every single case you start, and be forced to treat everyone old school Tweed style, then you will just have to play along.
8) If you don't match and you really want it, don't give up and try again. It was totally worth it.

Last edited:
After reading two posts on here of students ranked #1 and not getting into a program, I have to say I am very disappointed. Not that they didn't get in, but that each of them applied to less than 10 programs. If finances are an issue, than I can completely understand the situation. However, if your career goal is to be an orthodontist, why on earth would you only apply to 7 to 9 schools???

I am a 2nd year ortho resident and let me tell a little secret to anyone applying or re-applying for next year. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT PROGRAM YOU GO TO. Yes, some programs have very good reputations. In the long run, it's what you take out of your residency, not what famous faculty or reputation the program has. Every year I see top students applying to only a few schools because they hear that those 3 or 4 schools are the best. Well, almost all orthodontic residencies provide the same education. Each program has their strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect program, each is different, but the goals are the same......to produce quality orthodontists.

I highly recommend to anyone who wants to be an orthodontist....apply to every program you can financial manage. Interview at everyone that invites you, and rank all of them. I honestly have never met one person at any conference who says, "I hate my ortho residency." It's what you put into it, not what reputation a school has. Congrats to those of you who matched, and I hope applicants for next year will take this advice.

Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended:international (ortho -09)
NBDE Part I/II scores: not taken
Class Ranking: 1/100
Match/Non-Match: matched
Research: one research paper
Extracurriculars: many
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 3/1/1/1

I could not apply to many schools because I haven't taken NBDE. Therefore, I carefully selected programs where I had the maximum chances. I was expecting interview calls from all 3 programs that I applied to but received only one (probably coz my applications were delayed.. so make sure you apply in time).

In my opinion, once you receive an interview call, all that a program wants to know is your soft skills and your confidence. I showed that I have a positive learning attitude and made it a point that whatever strong points are there in my resume should come out well.

I would say I was lucky to convert my only interview call. I would suggest everyone to apply to as many programs as possible. In some of the posts above, few people did not rank all the programs they interviewed. Dont make such mistakes. If you dont want to attend a program why waste your money applying there?..
good luck to alll...

all u newbies need to listen to the old farts blurting out words of wisdom: apply to as many programs as possible. It is not a sign of weakness to apply to 30+ or 40+ programs. Leave your ego aside and apply to even the likes of "non-super star programs".
As a matter of fact I consciusly avoided these supposedly "super star" programs because I know I will get a good or even better real world exposure at these other supposedly "lower tiered" programs.

Last edited:
Hope this helps future applicants. Congrats to all who matched!

Specialty/Where: UW Ortho
Dental School Attended: UW
NBDE Part I/II scores: 97/not taken
Class Ranking: 8/55
Research: one project during undergrad, one project now (no publications)
Extracurriculars: lots of service, some leadership
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 19/10/9/9

Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended: --
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/ not taken yet
Class Ranking: top 10%
Match/Non-Match: matched
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: one abstract but nothing major
Extracurriculars: some
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/11/9/2

I am happy with the match result but I honestly wouldn't mind going to any of the program that I interviewed. The programs differ by stipend, tuition, location etc but I feel all programs produce great orthodontist. I have been to decent amount of interviews and it was same people over and over at different interviews. After the match result came out, most of these people got matched as well. So it seems to be true that if you are in that pool your chance of matching is high. But I also know people who had 1 or 2 interviews and got matched this year so don't get disappointed if you don't have many interviews next year. I think I was typical ortho applicant and nothing exceptional. There were people who had amazing numbers and did not get matched and also s\ppl w/ part 1 score with 80s and get matched. so It seems numbers aren't everything. I was so exhausted throughout the process and just so happy it's over. This year ~80 of pre-2010 graduates got matched so I wish the best of luck to all who will apply again next year and congrats to everyone who got matched. :)

dkfls,

you only ranked 2 of the 9 programs that you interviewed at?? ballsy! glad it worked out well for you...congratulations :thumbup:

Any luck on post match?
btw you should had gone to every place they invited you 4 interviews

UW and UCONN had conflicting interview dates so I had to choose one or the other.

just wanted to say a big congrats to those who got in. ortho school is a lot of hard work, and quite humbling. dental school doesn't prepare you a whole lot for it. but when it's all said and done it truly is worth it.

to those who didn't get in i say try and try again. i didn't match my 1st time around. there's lots of ways to improve your CV and interview skills. persevere, you'll get there, i know plenty who applied 2,3 times and did it eventually.

i meant i got matched to #2. i would be stupid not to rank all.

Last edited:
What numbers does Louisville typically accept?

what do you mean by this question? do you mean how many residents accepted per year or stats of residents accepted per year?

Stats and numbers

i don't think there are official stats available for those accepted to any ortho program, but with that being said i would assume stats for successful applicants are pretty much equal across all ortho programs. Louisville typically accepts 6-7 residents every year.

Stats and numbers

Being a student at Louisville, I can answer this question because I attended ADEA specialty week and asked a lot of questions. The program director reportred NBDE I 90+ and similar results on part II, yet this one wasn't quite as important. She said we'd like to see that correlate with your class rank, i.e: top 10%, I suppose. Hope this helps.

ortho school is a lot of hard work, and quite humbling. dental school doesn't prepare you a whole lot for it. but when it's all said and done it truly is worth it..

Sfiles,

what do you mean ortho school is a lot of hard work? :eek:
Isn't dental school alot of hard work too?
How are they different?

UCLA c/o 2010 - 13 applicants were matched. Could someone confirm this? Also, how many from c/o 2010 applied for Ortho?

Name:
Dental School Attended:
Externship(s)/where:
Interview Invites:9 programs (UOP, Mayo, St Barnabas, Jacksonville, USC, AZ, NYU etc..)

The problem with you is that you had a ranking order that didn't favor you. As you can see Michigan has openings, you had them spotted 3. You need to call them an see if they are wiling to give you a chance. good luck.

The problem with you is that you had a ranking order that didn't favor you. As you can see Michigan has openings, you had them spotted 3. You need to call them an see if they are wiling to give you a chance. good luck.

It's not possible to generate a ranking order list that doesn't favor you, unless you rank your programs in any order other than your own personal preference.

Michigan's order in that poster's list would not have mattered in any situation, since the only possible conclusion is that Michigan didn't rank them.

Name:
Dental School Attended:
Externship(s)/where:

Please do not comment if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. It is impossible for you to put your list in an order that will keep you from matching. The only thing that YOU can do to your list that will get you not to match is to not put something on your list altogether.

It's not possible to generate a ranking order list that doesn't favor you, unless you rank your programs in any order other than your own personal preference.

Michigan's order in that poster's list would not have mattered in any situation, since the only possible conclusion is that Michigan didn't rank them.

Agreed. I don't think a lot of candidates understand the concept that a program doesn't always rank everyone that they invite to interview.

I understand how the rank works, but I honestly believe that the system is not a two way blind ranking at all. I'm not trying to speculate. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I understand how the rank works, but I honestly believe that the system is not a two way blind ranking at all. I'm not trying to speculate. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I don't believe anyone was offended, just trying to clear things up.

However, unless there is some conspiracy between Natmatch and the "Dental Residency Illuminati" to put one over on applicants, the rules of the matching process are completely transparent, and the applicant only favors from generating a ROL in the order that they prefer to attend the programs. (http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/dencomm.htm)

The only way to lose this game is to try and "play" it.

Also If the program did not rank you at all you will not match even if you rank them as some have concluded above.

Last edited:
come on guys lets share your experiences whether you were matched or not, i am sure lots of ortho ppl check this forum regularly
and feel free to secure whatever you think is private, all we need to know how you matched/failed to this year so we can benefit from each other

its hard to tell from the lists posted what happened.

General rules:
1. do your homework on the programs - way before you apply
2. improve your CV to what the programs may want:
a. selectives, electives
b. extramurial rotations
c. research
d. shadowing
e. attending meetings - meeting people
f. visit programs
g. activities at the school, in the class, and nationally (like ADEA)
3. Apply to as many programs as you want - the more the better. - speak to residents, visit programs - long before applications are due.
4. Prepare for the interview - read the material
a' learn how to interview
b. have mock interviews
- on the dental board, on the top I posted why a GPR - look at the PASS of interviews. The interviews, your presentation, interaction with the senior residents is very important - final rankings are based on them.
5. Rank all programs you would be willing to go to.... in order you want.... the match favors the student.

to improved your changes, often a year of an externship, AEGD, GPR may help, but remain honest and ethical

just some thoughts from my sick bed.....

Hello,

I am a dental student interested in Orthodontics. But I am in my 2nd semester of my 2nd year and I am only in the top 40% of the class. I did not know I was interested in orthodontics till recently. Do you have any tips on applying for orthodontics due to my low ranking? I have not taken the first board exam yet. Thank You

Hello,

I am a dental student interested in Orthodontics. But I am in my 2nd semester of my 2nd year and I am only in the top 40% of the class. I did not know I was interested in orthodontics till recently. Do you have any tips on applying for orthodontics due to my low ranking? I have not taken the first board exam yet. Thank You

a few questions
1) what school do you attend?
2) how big is your class (probably could be figured out with answer to first question)?
3) how did you recently find out you were interested in orthodontics?

Hello,

I think what is being asked, is depending on the school you attend, your chances may very. Some schools are considered feeder schools for specialties, ex: UPenn, Harvard, UCLA, etc. Specialty programs tend to recognize these schools more and even if your not ranked that high they still might look a little more favorably upon you. But even so, most schools are looking at top 20%-10%, depending on the program.

My thoughts, kick butt on boards

research and get published. get a few publications if you can, even if they are reviews and even if it is with a different dept, (try to get ortho research though).

get involved with extra curricular, ASDA, ADEA, dental missions trips, etc.

Lastly, try and find an ortho faculty member (maybe the faculty you do research with?) to become a mentor. not only will they point you in the right direction, but hopefully they can put in a good word for you too. ;)

Last edited: