***Official OMS 2023 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lOuDMoUTH

Sting like a butterfly. Float like a bee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone tomorrow

From Mike Scarn
"tWas the night before match day and all through the house
Not an applicant was sleeping, not even their spouse.
All the rank lists were numbered, submitted with care,
in the hopes that school "number one" soon would be theirs.

Hopefuls everywhere nestled snug in their beds,
while visions of third molars danced in their heads.
And me in my scrubs, i turned off the light,
and settled myself in for the world's longest night.

When from my iPhone there came such a clatter,
i sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the charger I ran in a dash; the screen came alive in a brilliant white flash.

The box on the screen blinked to notify me
It had just received an email that I needed to see.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a subject line saying omfs match finally here!

In a rush of adrenaline, my patience was gone.
I'm done with this waiting, let the match bring it on!
As true as sdn my confidence came, and I whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

Now Parkland! Now, Nebraska! Now, San Antonio or UNC!
On, Baylor! On, Oregon! On, Florida or Kentucky!
To my life's next six years! Now don't make me wait!
Now bring it on! Tell me! Show me my fate!

As if in slow motion, the email opened up.
My eyes scanned the page, my fingers crossed for luck.
In confusion I searched, come on, what's the catch?
And then, in awful clarity, the words, "you did not match".

My body went limp, eyes rolled back in my head.
My life flashed before my eyes. I fell back on the bed.
My throat was closing in! My lungs found no air!
My hands clawed my throat, and ripped out my hair!

This just couldn't be right! Was my mind playing tricks?
Could I really go on? Add another year to six?!
What had I done wrong? What qualities did I lack?
I must run far away and never come back!

"No, no!" moaned my voice in an unearthly tone.
I was ruined, defeated... The match had won!
I writhed in my misery, sweat soaking my scrubs.
I pled for some assistance, some help from above!

I opened my eyes to a glimmer of light, the clock on my nightstand showing midnight.
I bolted up straight, and off the bed I fell.
Somehow I had slept-and dreamed myself into hell!

I gasped for a breath, I reached for my phone.
No new messages! The email from hades was gone!
I laugh in hysterics, I feel I could dance! My fate yet undecided! I have another chance!

The night is still young. Several hours remain,
enough for at least 10 more nightmares of the same.
My pulse starts to slow, my head is finally clear.
There's still 6 dreaded hours until match day is here!"

If you'd like to post:

Name:
Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I / NBME scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Program Matched: 6 year southern
Dental School Attended: midwestern state school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2023
International Student: No
CBSE: 218 (77)
Class Rank 7/117
Externships: 14 weeks, 10 programs. Cincinnati 2x, Nebraska, Parkland, San Antonio, Baylor, Shreveport 2x, Oklahoma, Iowa, VCU, S Carolina
Research: Poster presentation, some undergrad research
Extracurriculars: Undergraduate Mascott, volunteering, shadowing, ect.
Programs Applied to/interview invites/interviews attended/programs ranked: 43/10/10/10

Reactions: 9 users
Program Matched: 4-year Southern
Dental School Attended: West Coast
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE: 205
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 5 (all over the country)
Research: 1 publication
Extracurriculars: dental school leadership, intramural sports, volunteer clinics
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 38/14/10/10

Members don't see this ad :)
So only two people matched? Can we pls get more posts? 😭

Name: Common American name
Program Matched: Northeast 6 year
Dental School Attended: Northeast private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021 (private practice 1 year, GPR 1 year)
NBME scores: 186, 209, 234
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 2 in person
Research: 3 literature reviews, 1 poster presentation
Extracurriculars: not much, member of some clubs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 30/9/9/9

So…. Seems it is possible to match without doing a non cat after all…
Congratulations to all those who matched and good luck to all those applying in the future.

Program Matched: Midwest 4 year program
Dental School Attended: California school
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 239
Class Ranking/Size: NA
Externship(s)/where: Midwest (where I matched), Knoxville, VCU, MUSC
Research: Undergrad only
Extracurriculars: oral surgery club, tutoring, study clubs, service clubs, random leadership in stuff I was interested in,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 32/18/10/10

Reactions: 4 users
So…. Seems it is possible to match without doing a non cat after all…
Star Wars No GIF

- SDN

• Haha
Program Matched: Midwest 6 year
Dental School Attended: Northeast
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 222 (79)
Class Ranking/Size: top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 3 (West coast, Midwest, and East Coast)
Research: One literature review and one Research study, no posters or publications
Extracurriculars: Dental School OMS Society
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 26/15/12/12

Reactions: 2 users
Program Matched: Midwest 6yr
Dental School Attended: State School
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 230
Class Ranking/Size: p/f
Externship(s)/where: 7 weeks (1 home program, 4 across country, 2 at matched program)
Research: 1 OMS publication and 2 more in the works
Extracurriculars: OMS Club President, Founder OMS Lit Review group, TA, other rando stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 24/20/14/14

Name: Abraham Lincoln
Program Matched: 6 yr
Dental School Attended: east coast
NBME: 220-230
Class Ranking/Size: P/F
Externship: 8 weeks at 8 programs
Research: 3 publications and more pending
Extracurriculars: tutoring, telehealth, clubs
Programs Applied/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 40/29/25/25

Happy to give advise for anyone applying in the future and congratulations to everyone who matched this year!
The road to OMS is a marathon, not a sprint.
Work hard and be kind - make friends with everyone you meet on the interview trail!

Reactions: 8 users
Program Matched: East coast 4-yr
Dental School Attended: Canadian dental school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: DDS 2022
International Student (yes/no): Canadian
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 227
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 4 externships, 1 non-cat
Research: 2 publications, none OS related
Extracurricular: community service volunteering, theatre, sports
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 50/7/7/7

Being a Canadian and applying to OMFS is extremely tough, but it can be done. Just don't give up and be persistent.

Reactions: 5 users
Program Matched: Midwest 4 year program
Dental School Attended: West coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
CBSE: 62
Class Ranking/Size: 25%
Externship(s)/where: 2 (COVID)
Research: 2 publications in JOMS
Extracurriculars: 2 non cats. College athlete. Wife and kids.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 50/6/6/6

There were many times when it would have been completely reasonable (if not expected) for me to give up. I had no interviews during my first application cycle.. at one point I had missed the deadline to sign up for the CBSE by 16 hours after studying for months and they refused to make an exception. I had 5 interviews during my second application cycle and felt like I had made great connections at my top 3 programs. When I didn't match it was 100% one of the worst days of my life. It then took me weeks to find a non-cat position and was initially told no from the two programs that had interviewed me (they both emailed 4 days later saying things had fell through and offered me a non cat position).

I've been looking forward to writing this post for a few years now. I decided to pursue oral surgery during my third year of dental school and have I feel like I have been playing "catch up" from the start. I remember checking these updates and seeing everyone with 75+ CBSE scores and top 5 class ranks and being super discouraged. It has been a LONG 3 years and there have been some really dark days for me and my family but I ended up matching at a program that would have never been an option for me out of dental school. I now have thousands of hours of valuable experience from my two non cats and I ended up matching at my #1 program. I am SO grateful for how things worked out. I would do it all again the exact same way if I knew what the end result would be.

RELENTLESS PURSUIT. If you really want to do it you can find a way.

Reactions: 33 users
Program Matched: East coast 4 year
Dental School Attended: East coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
CBSE: 69
Class Ranking/Size: Near bottom of class, uptrending each year
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: No publications, just poster presentations
Extracurriculars: Did an AEGD prior to 2 non-cats at different programs.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/7/7/7

Accepted after second cycle.
Wanted to put this out there for some of you who are a little down after match to give some hope and insight. Need to preface by giving a background since a lot of my application seems subpar.
- Originally did an AEGD because I thought I wanted to be a GP, changed my mind slowly over the fourth year but by then I was going to an AEGD anyway. Did a lot of pre-prosthetic surgery and implants which was nice because most of my co-residents wanted to stick with restorative.
- Applied first time in the middle of my first non-cat right after taking CBSE, I think I didn't match because my resume really didn't reflect much OMFS stuff
- Worked hard during the first non-cat, found a second non-cat spot with different scope of practice (Went from head and neck/craniofacial focused non-cat to more TMJ and bread & butter practice) and continued to work hard and had attendings/chairs from both programs write letters and had me meet some people to help with the application/interview process

From my first cycle to the second, my application didn't change too much but showing that I actually had finished a non-cat and was going to a second one helped shift the paradigm of "does this applicant really want to do OMFS or not?". Having a lot of attendings vouch for you and reach out to people helps a ton as well in my situation. But just wanted to write this up to show there's more than grades and class rank to get in, but I will agree CBSE is incredibly important in the application and unfortunately I had to take my CBSE during my Non-cat which was not helpful.

Reactions: 16 users
Program Matched: East Coast
Dental School Attended: State School
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 216-224
Class Ranking/Size: <10%
Externship(s)/where: 11 weeks, 11 programs
Research: none
Extracurriculars: fitness club, OFMS club, pathology tutor, etc...
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 40/20/18/18

This may be a little bit different than what most people think, but after meeting numerous program directors, attendings, residents, applicants, and all different kinds of people along my journey, I feel that doing many externships over a smaller window of time reflects work ethic which is very important for this residency and career. It is also a great thing to talk about during interviews and allows you to showcase yourself during this time of "zoom interviews," which is a huge advantage. I'd say that breaking 70 will surely get you interviews, and anything greater than 75 is amazing. My advice to future applicants would be to focus on both externships and CBSE almost equally and just to be yourself, no program wants a "robot"; you made it this far by being yourself, so you can achieve your goals doing the same.... BELIEVE IT!!!

Good luck to everyone

Reactions: 5 users
@Prehealthwhatever There are some stats here, not sure if you've seen them. Would be nice if more people shared, and thanks to everyone who has

Reactions: 1 users
Program Matched: Texas 6 yr
Dental School: Texas
Cbse scores: 226
Class Ranking/Size: top 10%
Externship(s)/where: Baylor, UAB, parkland, Shreveport, Houston, case
Research: 3 presentations, abstract, but no pubs- but was otherwise very involved with my programs research
Extracurriculars: oms prez, volunteering, usual boiler plate stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 21/18/14/14

Some of my observations from interviewing this cycle:

Having a competitive Rank and CBSE gets you the interview, having a personable attitude and social skills gets you the spot.

Choice of externships is always brought up in interviews so if you didn’t extern at a program you’re interviewing at have some sort of rationalization why. There are lots of threads about common Interview questions so definitely look into that before hand. Always have at least three questions prepared to ask during your interview - and you can repeat these for each set of interviewers even at the same program. I found it helpful to pay close attention during the intro presentation that almost all programs do before interviews (either same day or sometimes they send out communication virtually beforehand) and try to come up with program specific questions from that.

Research is hit or miss, definitely not required, but can be program specific. some interviewers were interested and asked a lot of questions about it, others wondered if I only wanted to do research every day.

Choose your letter writers well. It came up in several of my interviews that the faculty who wrote my letters had written great things about me which clearly made an impression on the program. The obvious tangent from this is that if you have an oral surgery program at your school you should get to know the faculty at your program earlier on like around D2/D3 by attending rounds, meeting during office hours, or (like what I did) show interest in their research and help on projects. If you don’t have a program then go on more externships or even do repeat externships at certain programs. Also try to get in touch with oral surgeons in the community.

Good luck to everyone applying this coming cycle, it’s a really stressful time but worth it. I’ve met a lot of applicants on the trail I hope to stay in touch with throughout the rest of my career so enjoy the process as much as you can.

Reactions: 9 users
Program Matched: Southern 6 year
Dental School: Northeast
Cbse scores: 210+
Class Ranking/Size: 3.9+ / no ranking
Externship(s)/where: 5 / Southern
Research: 1 presentation, involved in a particular research project
Extracurriculars: 3 leadership positions
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 37/23/19/19

Overall thoughts:

I really want to echo and stress the importance of what tallnlanky mentioned above. In addition, spend your time wisely while in DS not only good grades, and CBSE score, leadership positions, and etc. but equally as important just being a good person. Care about the people around you, be a great team player, and establish a good reputation during your time in DS and, especially within your OMFS department. Be confident…but, please be humble...seek out mentors and be grateful for any mentorship…and when you make it this far…you realize how little you really know and how much there is yet to learn! ; ) Good luck to all future candidate!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Having a competitive Rank and CBSE gets you the interview, having a personable attitude and social skills gets you the spot.
Yes! Cannot emphasize this enough to future applicants. A lot of programs interview “blind” (they don’t know your scores)

Reactions: 2 users
Program Matched: Midwest 6 year
Dental School: State School
CBSE Score: 233
Class Ranking/Size: P/F
Externship(s)/where: 6 weeks (mostly Midwest)
Research: 1 poster presentation and 1 publication
Extracurriculars: bunch of random stuff... well-rounded extracurriculars
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 24/21/14/11

Ditto to everything said. Focus on doing well on the CBSE; it gets your foot in the program's door. Once the door is open, stay kind, be personable, work your butt off, and it'll all work out. Don't get so caught up in the competitiveness of it all that you forget to make some lifelong friends along the way.

Congrats to those that matched, and good luck to future year's applicants!