Ortho Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rochester (9/1)
Temple (10/18 - but I think this is not correct)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
Children's National Medical Center (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)
Tufts
Pittsburgh

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)
Baylor
Kentucky
VCU

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana
UIC
UMKC

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon

Members don't see this ad.

retrognathic said:
To find out more about umkc and oec check out this link:

http://www.umkc.edu/provost/news_events/newsdetail.asp?ID=130

looks like this "virus" is spreading!!!

This whole OEC is such a crack of ****. I really hope people are smart enough to see past the vail they are trying to pull over everyone. This guy Lazarra who once was the CEO of orthodontic centers of america (another managed care scam deal for innocent/green ortho grads) now is directly sucking in indentured orthodontist at the dental grad level. It just disappoints me to no end to see how a profession can be so watered down by the hands of a few. What if some other bloke with deep pockets decides to contribute money to open up his own dental school and tries to associate it with a university not currently with a dental school and requires incoming students to work for 7 yrs in his dental company? I know this discussion may have already been touched on but it really bugs me to no end what this craphole is doing to orthodontics. Soon orthodontist will be so watered down that we will be at the level of optometrist around every corner, or a pharmacist at every walgreens store. What a waste of a profession.

OEC cares nothing about our profession, only about making $$$$$. It's not about underserved populations or shortages of orthodontists. It's about making $$$$. Anyone who doesn't have the sense to steer clear of this sort of garbage has no place in the profession. I hope all of the current ortho faculty at UMKC quit if this thing goes through. Somone has to take a stand and put an end to this or it will spread to all areas of dentistry and ruin our profession.

I would also highly recommend contacting UMKC concerning this issue if you are applying there. I personally would rather eat "Fear Factor" food for every meal for the rest of my life rather than become an OEC guy--and that's what you will always be known as for the rest of your career by your colleagues if you do an OEC residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, all you have to do is look at dentistry in the 80's to see what "serving a perceived need" can do. My dad was a dentist then. It was pretty brutal in some areas. But, orthodontics being about money isn't without its precidents. A lot of orthodontists go in for the money only, and just look at the interview process itself. Oregon, who gets around 300 applications, charges 65 bucks a pop. That is $19,500. Wouldn't be too bad if you knew that money went to the ortho residents, but you know that it just goes in the Dean's pot.

Before I ask my question, let me say that I am 110% against OEC and all that it standds for. So my question is do you guys think Lazarra will charge the same amount for treatment as local ortho practioners or do you think he will charge less so that he can steal current practitioners patients. With him putting out 20% of the ortho graduates a year, he could really take a huge chunk of business away from private practioners.

from what i understand the OEC orthodontist can charge what they want. They just have to give 60% of the profit they make back to OEC for seven years minimum. (they are supposed to be guaranteed 150K/year though)

after the indentured servitude time is up they can stay with OEC or get out of town and leave their practice, while OEC replaces them with a new OEC Ortho grad.

kato999 said:
from what i understand the OEC orthodontist can charge what they want. They just have to give 60% of the profit they make back to OEC for seven years minimum. (they are supposed to be guaranteed 150K/year though)

after the indentured servitude time is up they can stay with OEC or get out of town and leave their practice, while OEC replaces them with a new OEC Ortho grad.

Does that 60% cover the basic overhead of rent, personnel, supplies, etc? I assume not since you said 'profit' not 'gross'.

I believe OEC graduates have to pay for their own advertising while under the 7 year contract, so take that away from the cut. Basically, one would do OEC not for the $ (initially) but because GP is not an option.

when have UCSF scheduled their interviews.

TrojanDDS said:
I believe OEC graduates have to pay for their own advertising while under the 7 year contract, so take that away from the cut. Basically, one would do OEC not for the $ (initially) but because GP is not an option.

i think they are trying to get students who would choose to be an orthodontist rather than a GP, but finacially or academically are unable to make the step into a residency. they admit that they are providing an option for someone to become an orthodontist who would not be able to otherwise.

not sure about the advertising, but OEC takes care of pretty much all business aspects/expenses of the practice. this means you as an orthodontist do not own the practice when you are done with your commitment. to me it seems like being an associate that is paid on production (40% of the office profit) without ever being a complete owner of the practice.

sorry for hijacking this thread. i really want to hear how the ortho interviews are going and don't want to detract with OEC opinions. this is a good thread so far so keep the ortho posts coming :thumbup:

orthodoc1 said:
when have UCSF scheduled their interviews.

UCSF contacted last fri 10/8. USC called today, woohoo!

To those applying to ortho programs in future cycles, you can see now nerve-racking notifications (or lack thereof) for interviews are. The "phone call" can come any time: while you are working on a patient, in the middle of your shower, etc. so you literally have to carry your cell 24/7 to look for that weird area code. Rejections are even worse.. my precious application fees can't even afford a rejection letter. SDN is the best source to see which programs have contacted, but never give up until the interview dates have passed as applicants will have schedule conflicts & programs will go down their alternate lists.

TrojanDDS said:
Rejections are even worse.. my precious application fees can't even afford a rejection letter. SDN is the best source to see which programs have contacted, but never give up until the interview dates have passed as applicants will have schedule conflicts & programs will go down their alternate lists.

The rejection letters don't come till after Match Day. I was getting rejection letters as late as March of this year for last year's cycle. Of course, many programs just suck your application fee and don't ever bother sending a rejection.

I am constantly checking my e-mail when I can sneak out of the clinic looking for those new messages in my inbox b/c a lot of programs notify by e-mail. It is neurotic, but I am definitely a little less anxious about the whole process since it is my second time around (and hopefully last...).

Keep on hoping for those alternate list phone calls. Last year I got an alternate inteview - the program contacted me on Tuesday evening for an interview Friday morning. My friend got a similar alternate phone call from a different school and ended up getting into that program. Good luck everyone!

On that note, anyone heard from UMDNJ, Maryland (Baltimore), or Stonybrook?

Stony Brook mails out their letters on 10/19, their interview date is 11/12

Members don't see this ad :)
north carolina called my classmate! hurray!

So to update the list -

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)
Tufts
Pittsburgh

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)
Baylor
Kentucky
VCU
North Carolina

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana
UIC
UMKC

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon
Pacific
USC

TrojanDDS said:
UCSF contacted last fri 10/8. USC called today, woohoo!

To those applying to ortho programs in future cycles, you can see now nerve-racking notifications (or lack thereof) for interviews are. The "phone call" can come any time: while you are working on a patient, in the middle of your shower, etc. so you literally have to carry your cell 24/7 to look for that weird area code. Rejections are even worse.. my precious application fees can't even afford a rejection letter. SDN is the best source to see which programs have contacted, but never give up until the interview dates have passed as applicants will have schedule conflicts & programs will go down their alternate lists.

Which date is UCSF calling for interviews. Also how is the interview at Indiana supposed to be. Any idea??? Please let me know. Thanks.

Wondering about the following: Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, Buffalo. If anybody knows anything about whether they have given interviews yet, please post.

orthodoc1 said:
Which date is UCSF calling for interviews. Also how is the interview at Indiana supposed to be. Any idea??? Please let me know. Thanks.

UCSF called last week. Florida called today. Detroit, OSU, & Maryland will contact next week.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)
Tufts
Pittsburgh

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)
Baylor
Kentucky
VCU
North Carolina
Florida

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana
UIC
UMKC

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon
Pacific
USC

thats weird cause my classmate already got a call from ohio state last week

i didnt check the list but florida and UOP called

Jediwendell said:
Maryland finally.

Guess I'm not enough of a superstar to interview with Maryland, I was kinda hoping to hear from them.

SDN has taken away a lot of the anxiety of wondering when these programs are going to call. It's good to see on here who's contacted for interviews, since once you're out of school you no longer have your classmates to try and reference which programs have called. Thank you guys for that.

EDIT: Columbia is still calling for interviews.

griffin04 said:
Guess I'm not enough of a superstar to interview with Maryland, I was kinda hoping to hear from them.

SDN has taken away a lot of the anxiety of wondering when these programs are going to call. It's good to see on here who's contacted for interviews, since once you're out of school you no longer have your classmates to try and reference which programs have called. Thank you guys for that.

EDIT: Columbia is still calling for interviews.
yeah, it is sweet. Has buffalo called yet? What do you know about maryland?

Jediwendell said:
yeah, it is sweet. Has buffalo called yet? What do you know about maryland?

My friends who are in the program said last year they notified about 1.5 weeks before the actual interview date, and this was a potential problem b/c candidates had to turn Buffalo down since they were already going somewhere else on that day to interview.

Maryland, from what I hear, is a nice program and will be even nicer b/c there is a brand new building opening very soon. I forget if everyone is moving to the new building, or if post-grad is staying in the old building while the pre-docs move to the new one. I may be confusing it with UMDNJ b/c they are in a similar situation with a new dental building. They do take 3 residents each year.

DDSSlave said:
I'd encourage anyone declining UMKC's interview to call them and tell them the reason is because of OEC. That may help give the department added evidence to present to the dean against an OEC contract. .

Hardly. They'll *still* be easily able to fill all their spots when OEC takes over (not with top applicants, of course), and they'll come out on the winning end as far as $$ goes also.

It seems that once the "virus" propositions a school, there aren't any good drugs to kick it's butt.

ItsGavinC said:
Hardly. They'll *still* be easily able to fill all their spots when OEC takes over (not with top applicants, of course), and they'll come out on the winning end as far as $$ goes also.

It seems that once the "virus" propositions a school, there aren't any good drugs to kick it's butt.

True. It's sad when quantity trumps quality. Perhaps the only "drug" would be for the orthodontic faculty to refuse to work under an OEC sponsored program.

i feel bad for the UMKC ortho dept
this decision was very "top-down" from what I hear, they found out just before the rest of us. and having to tell them why Im not coming to the interview was tough. yuck!

Yeah, so Buffalo and Case Western notified today. That should be wrapping it up. The only place I don't know anything about right now on my list is Georgia. Anybody know anyone interviewing there?

damn jedi you must have applied just about everywhere! good luck everyone!

Did anybody apply to ortho at Indiana University?...I heard it is a good program , but very difficult to get into. I am thinking to apply next year so I want to prepare from now on.
Which are the qualification they look in the applicants at indiana university?
thank you

Just got done with UIC interview. Seemed like a solid program. Let their residents do self ligating brackets, don't do any of their own labwork. Most of them seem happy. The interview is very laid back. You talk to like ten people and everyone is really easy going.
W

black bear said:
Did anybody apply to ortho at Indiana University?...I heard it is a good program , but very difficult to get into. I am thinking to apply next year so I want to prepare from now on.
Which are the qualification they look in the applicants at indiana university?
thank you

As an '03 grad of IU Ortho I can tell you that Gene Roberts calls all the shots when determining who gets in to a given class. Make contact with Gene, visit the program, show interest in his pet topics, (retromolar implants, bone physiology, multidisciplinary treatment), have decent grades and board scores and you'll get in. Incidentally, the incoming class when I graduated had 2 people that were way underqualified (one had not even scored 80 on her boards, and was not even ranked in the top 1/2 of her class) but got in to bring "a different perspective to the residency"...whatever the hell that means??? However, there were 2 "Number ones", a "Number 2", and 2 "Number 3's" in that class as well.

So in short, work hard, and show genuine interest in the program and you have a great shot at getting in.

Peace,

Ben

Hello
Did anybody hear from Boston University?
Thanks

Jediwendell said:
Yeah, so Buffalo and Case Western notified today. That should be wrapping it up. The only place I don't know anything about right now on my list is Georgia. Anybody know anyone interviewing there?

I heard from georgia last week...they had requested an 11/1 interview..they are only taking 2 residents this year and one will certainly be from MCG....so they may not be interviewing many...good luck with your other schools..

I've been to half of my ortho interviews and so far so good. The answers really are automatic the 3rd or 4th time around. The socials are a great idea and I've tried to make the most out of them. A wise tip for those applying next year (hopefully I won't have to re-apply w/ you) is to keep up w/ SDN.. I ran into TWO 1st year residents SDN-posters at one program & another SDN applicant at another which made the entire process less intimidating. More updates when I am done.

Man, you have already done half of your interviews? I am totally jealous. Given the thirteen I did for OMS, I will have done 21 total at the end. Still have most of mine to go. I hate interviews.
W

I've done half of mine and I agree with TrojanDDS, I am tired! I've decided it all comes down to luck anyways. Think about it, when they ask the old "What makes a good orthodontist?" question, is there really any difference between the qualities that make a good general dentist vs. a good orthodontist? IMO, nope.

Apparently the Harvard interview later this week is going to be some fun times - with their infamous current events quiz and wire bending tests and whatever other hoops they make us jump through there. Bring it on.

Every morning when I walk to work, all I can think about is putting together that rank list. Actually, that's pretty much all I agonize about all day. Anyone else share in my rank-order anxieties?

Griffin...while some may say there is some strategics involved with ranking programs on the match list...let me assure you there isn't. Simply rank the program you regard highest first...and let the rest fall accordingly. Best of luck to all of you who are applying this cycle.

DocDrtySanchez said:
Griffin...while some may say there is some strategics involved with ranking programs on the match list...let me assure you there isn't. Simply rank the program you regard highest first...and let the rest fall accordingly. Best of luck to all of you who are applying this cycle.

what should you do if you have a great feeling from one school that's not necessarily your top choice, vs. a school you really want to go to but not necessarily had a best interview experience. Which should you rank first? Sometimes deciding which school comes first isn't so clear cut.... :confused:

tooth_sleuth said:
what should you do if you have a great feeling from one school that's not necessarily your top choice, vs. a school you really want to go to but not necessarily had a best interview experience. Which should you rank first? Sometimes deciding which school comes first isn't so clear cut.... :confused:

It seems to me that you would put your first choice, first...regardless of whether you think the interview went well or not. To you it may not have gone well, but the admissions committee may have viewed it differently.--and other candidates you are competing with may have ranked other schools higher. I am in a similar situation in which I feel confident about interviews at schools I'm not too interested in going to, and less so with those interviews at the schools I would love to go to.--and, the way I see it, I'm ranking my top choices first. Not sure why you would do otherwise. You may be surprised...someone likened the match to the lottery.--that couldn't be more true. Good luck... :luck:

This is how it works: If you are not matched by your first choice, your 2nd choice then BECOMES your first choice. If you're not matched by that one, then your third on the list BECOMES your first choice, etc., until you've matched or your list is exausted. Thus the more places you interview the better your chances of matching, assuming you rank them all. End of story.

THIS IS IT! Its simple. There is nothing mystical about it. Basically the match just makes both candidates and programs decide where/who their priorities are so as that no one hords acceptances.

hey all, just did my cross country trek - i am EXHAUSTED
seattle - a total dream
baylor - the same, except dallas isnt my ideal location
houston - again great, but hafta live in houston

i am more and more confused the more interviews i go to. ranking will be hard. honestly i feel that i cannot lose out no matter what. everywhere has something to offer that the others dont. its like picking between a banana split and strawberry shortcake - yummy either way.
yes the night before socials are a great idea to attend
the best is seeing the same faces in different cities - here's to a ton of new friendships! cheers!
i will write much more probably tomorrow

jediwendell, nice to finally meet you in dallas! and yes, my ride eventually showed up.

texas_dds said:
hey all, just did my cross country trek - i am EXHAUSTED
seattle - a total dream
baylor - the same, except dallas isnt my ideal location
houston - again great, but hafta live in houston

i am more and more confused the more interviews i go to. ranking will be hard. honestly i feel that i cannot lose out no matter what. everywhere has something to offer that the others dont. its like picking between a banana split and strawberry shortcake - yummy either way.
yes the night before socials are a great idea to attend
the best is seeing the same faces in different cities - here's to a ton of new friendships! cheers!
i will write much more probably tomorrow

jediwendell, nice to finally meet you in dallas! and yes, my ride eventually showed up.

Way to go, texasdds -- I can't wait to hear where you match -- these programs are probably fighting over you right now!

txdent2be
you have always been too kind! i will tell you all about my adventure later this week, hope mansueto and jones aren't beating your class down too bad... you DS2s are like soldiers in the trenches, best of luck always and come by my cubicle this week so we can talk!

is it really just talking? or ..... ;) :D If I was to come by the cubicle then I'd like to do more than just talking!

Ummhhh, I meant practicing dentistry that is :D

texas_dds said:
txdent2be
you have always been too kind! i will tell you all about my adventure later this week, hope mansueto and jones aren't beating your class down too bad... you DS2s are like soldiers in the trenches, best of luck always and come by my cubicle this week so we can talk!

Pros is no fun -- there's no way around it. "I think your chamfer looks like it's about 0.45, instead of 0.30. Better put in a little more time if you want to pass..." Guess who said this?!

0.45 - ya i think i know of two people that might talk about a millimeter that way... wait till you meet phoenix next semester!

You mean they're picky down to the last 0.05 mm? That's fifty microns! Oh man, maybe I'd better buy a microscope. Or since it was a chamfer, does that mean 45 degrees vs. 30 degrees? But then 0.040 inches is about a millimeter, so it might be that too... oh, I'm so confuzzled.

BTW congrats texas_dds on finishing your interview tour! I'm sure you'll be hearing good news soon. :thumbup:

nope sorry trypmo, 0.45 was referring to millimeters. i only know a few people that talk about hundredths of a mm, but for sure you should be able to discern tenths. and microscope glasses are a great idea - we call them 'surgical loupes' and most students buy the 2.5 magnification ones during 1st or 2nd year. and thanks! the interviews have been great - or it feels great to finally be at this stage of the game i should say. best wishes always.