Potential for Specializing in Peds/Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first semester with mostly B's and C's and I have a GPA of 2.75. I know this is terrible, especially for someone interested in specializing, so I'm working on grinding HARD to get this GPA as high as possible. Do you think getting into a peds or ortho residency at this rate is still possible? I'm aware that class rank is often a strong factor for programs but is it a deal breaker? I'm also curious for anyone who may be in between specialties, when or what did you do to decide on a specialty? I still feel like I'm figuring things out and a lot of the D3's I've talked to happen to have already started shadowing or looking into externs during their D1 year and I'm feeling behind. How should I go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely, you wouldn't for Ortho if you keep that gpa. Many of the ortho residency programs that I have looked at have minimum or ideal of +3.5 gpa. From what I understand, if your class rank is in the top 10%, you will have a decent chance of specializing in ortho; as you get past the 10% mark, your chances start to decrease. I am not sure for peds though, but I understand it is easier to match than ortho.

Most likely, you wouldn't for Ortho if you keep that gpa. Many of the ortho residency programs that I have looked at have minimum or ideal of +3.5 gpa. From what I understand, if your class rank is in the top 10%, you will have a decent chance of specializing in ortho; as you get past the 10% mark, your chances start to decrease. I am not sure for peds though, but I understand it is easier to match than ortho.
Are applications for residency similar to dental school in the sense that they look at improvements over time or do they solely look at your class rank?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are applications for residency similar to dental school in the sense that they look at improvements over time or do they solely look at your class rank?
I honestly couldn't tell you. If I had to guess, it depends on the program. I do think the most important factor is class rank (if your program has it). I would focus on gpa over the externships and everything else right now. You need to get your gpa on lock before doing research, externships, working outside of class, etc.

You need to get your gpa on lock before doing research, externships, working outside of class, etc.
This.

Admittedly, you’re not off to a good start. But, you have time to try and turn things around. As a general rule, I believe ranking in the top 20% of your class gives you a good shot at any specialty. That means you’ll have to become a mostly A student from here on out to recover from this mathematically. It’s not going to be easy.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user