Ortho Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Griffin, did you get the e-mail from Harvard today? Both of my interviews are in the northeast.

Members don't see this ad.

jediwendell, a san antonio student just got a UCLA interview so I would say go for it! im not sure about the specifics on USC, but hey - you only want to go through all this ortho application junk once, i would go ahead and send them the $$$

san antonio interviews are being scheduled now

Members don't see this ad :)
TrojanDDS said:
Griffin, did you get the e-mail from Harvard today? Both of my interviews are in the northeast.

The e-mail came yesterday (10/4/04).

I must say it is good to have the support on SDN this year while we're all going through ortho interviews.

So based on this thread and to update this list b/c it's getting confusing, the following are schools that have contacted/conducted interviews so far. I am adding three more that I know of here on the east coast on the bottom.

Iowa
LSU
Rochester
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Washington
Temple
Harvard
Penn
San Antonio
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
Albert Einstein

griffin04 said:

I must say it is good to have the support on SDN this year while we're all going through ortho interviews.

So based on this thread and to update this list b/c it's getting confusing, the following are schools that have contacted/conducted interviews so far. I am adding three more that I know of here on the east coast on the bottom.

Iowa
LSU
Rochester
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Washington
Temple
Harvard
Penn
San Antonio
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
Albert Einstein

can you tell me your school preference
what program are u applying at harvard. Did u receive an interview as yet?

You can also add Louisville and St. Louis to that list...I got word from Louisville last week and from St. Louis today. Louisville had a PASS deadline of 9/17 with an App deadline of 10/1..St. Louis is a 9/15 school. Also if anyone is interested there is an interesting article in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from June of this year Volume 125 Number 6 pg 747 on the selection process. Best of Luck to everyone..

PS Griffin I also applied to Tufts and have not heard anything yet..

griffin04 said:

Iowa
LSU
Rochester
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Washington
Temple
Harvard
Penn
San Antonio
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
Albert Einstein

Hi. I called up UPenn and Albert Einstein (in Philly) and the secretaries told me that they were still reviewing the applications. It was their guess that the interviews would be held mid to late October. It's going to be last minute rush!

I'm updating the list again with the above posts and more info I have from this afternoon. I'm adding the deadlines of the schools I know of, these are the school deadlines and not the PASS deadlines (which is 2 weeks earlier). Someone please post the deadlines for Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington, and San Antonio, my internet is too slow to access SDN and ADEA at the same time.

Iowa
LSU (9/1)
Rochester (9/1)
West Virginia (9/15)
Oklahoma
Washington
Temple (10/18 - but I think this is not correct)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
San Antonio
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Children's National Medical Center (10/1)

griffin04 said:
Someone please post the deadlines for Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington, and San Antonio, my internet is too slow to access SDN and ADEA at the same time.

Oklahoma = October 1

Iowa = September 1

Washington = September 15

San Antonio = September 15

I called up the majority of the Northeast-based programs today during lunch break... none of them have actually looked at our applications. I was told that they were being reviewed... might be a code word for "nothin' done!" They just speculated "may be in two weeks or so" (another code word for end of the month?) we'd hear from them whether or not we're invited.

Slower than torquing a tilted molar, eh!

I got an interview at Conn yesterday. November 1.

congrats! you should talk to dr. pavlin in the SA ortho dept, he could hook you up at uconn i bet (hes a phd orthodontist from there)

texas_dds said:
congrats! you should talk to dr. pavlin in the SA ortho dept, he could hook you up at uconn i bet (hes a phd orthodontist from there)
Spose I will if he interviews us. I am interviewing there on the 29th. When are you?
w

griffin04 said:
I'm updating the list again with the above posts and more info I have from this afternoon. I'm adding the deadlines of the schools I know of, these are the school deadlines and not the PASS deadlines (which is 2 weeks earlier). Someone please post the deadlines for Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington, and San Antonio, my internet is too slow to access SDN and ADEA at the same time.

Iowa
LSU (9/1)
Rochester (9/1)
West Virginia (9/15)
Oklahoma
Washington
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
San Antonio
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)

My friends and I were passing time in the ortho clinic yesterday 10/4 and we came up with our own list. Here are some additions of programs who have either started or have completed making calls for interviews:

Iowa
LSU (9/1)
Rochester (9/1)
West Virginia (9/15)
Oklahoma
Washington
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
San Antonio
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Children's National Medical Center
Nova Southeastern
Michigan
Tennessee
Loma Linda
Nebraska
UConn
UCLA
Marquette

UCSF is suppose to meet this Weds 10/6 and Minnesota is meeting Thurs 10/7. Griffin, I guess I'll see you on the 28th. Did you also get CNMC today??

Members don't see this ad :)
TrojanDDS - yup, I heard from CNMC yesterday. Let me know where on the east coast you are coming to, otherwise the 28th it is.

jediwendell & texas_dds - Dr. Pavlin interviewed the candidates last year, chances are you'll see him this year as well.

I updated the deadlines mightymolar posted and I tried to separate the list geographically (somewhat). Feel free to add and update the deadlines as you hear from more places.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
San Antonio (9/15)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
West Virginia (9/15)

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA

griffin04 said:
TrojanDDS - yup, I heard from CNMC yesterday. Let me know where on the east coast you are coming to, otherwise the 28th it is.

Griffin-I'll be in the Bronx the 18th, DC on the 22nd, and Boston the 28th.

Add Houston and NYU to the list of schools who have started and/or finished notifying.

It's good to see a thread regarding the ortho interview process. It would have been nice to have seen the same last year when I went through it all. I'd be happy to give anyone advice about the programs I interviewed at listed below. I know how stressful the process can be. I'm currently a first year ortho resident and I can truly say it's all worth it. Best of luck everyone.

University of Michigan
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Childrens National Medical Center
University of Pittsburgh
University of Maryland
New York University
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Louisville
Case Western University
University of Washington
Tufts University

jeez how many places are scheduling from oct 25-29? i am gonna be flying around the country like a maniac that week. even had to turn some down cause they all fall ontop of one another. they need to spread this stuff out. no fair.

Wait til the week of November 8-12. I think it will be even worse.

texas_dds said:
jeez how many places are scheduling from oct 25-29? i am gonna be flying around the country like a maniac that week. even had to turn some down cause they all fall ontop of one another. they need to spread this stuff out. no fair.

can anyone comment on how the interviews have been so far, to help out those of us applying next year? i.e. what types of questions do they ask, any really far out interviews? Have they generally been laid back or really stressful? how have the dinner/drink sessions been?

THanks! :D

Updating the list with the info from TrojanDDS. Hopefully most other programs will notify us next week. Rank lists are due on Nov. 19th, so technically there is still 4 - 5 weeks for the programs to procrastinate.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA

Oregon & UCSF notified, and Indiana has their list.

TrojanDDS said:
Oregon & UCSF notified, and Indiana has their list.

hi - i just got an interview for Indiana's ortho program... does anyone have any idea of how is the interview there.

Vanderbilt (10/1) contacted me for an interview today. It seems like there are alot of schools that still haven't contacted anyone yet. I have also yet to recieve any rejection letters. You would think my application fee entitles me to at least some rudimentary thanks but no thanks correspondance. If the match deadline is the 16th of Nov. that doesn't seem like much time for these other schools to contact and schedule interviews.

anyone heard from kansas city? and anyone heard whats up w/their department in the very recent past?

also (i know these are random) univ of toronto and univ of alberta?

thanks as always! so interviewing prospective dental students this semester has been helpful i think in my own preparation for interviews. my favorite questions: how are you different? what are you most proud of besides family and school? what is the hardest thing you have ever done? what is your greatest accomplishment? explain your role in this research project... and many others. food for thought.

texas_dds said:
anyone heard from kansas city? and anyone heard whats up w/their department in the very recent past?

Columbia has also contacted.

I read on another forum and heard from faculty that OEC will take over UMKC's grad ortho program. Supposedly they will keep their 4 positions a year, but OEC will pick their own additional 12 spots per year.

Anybody heard anything from ohio state or know much about it? Also, what are general opinions about illinois-chicago?
w

yikes! new OEC programs are one thing, but established ones being bought out is another

I have no new news about interview invites today. Except for a garbled message from Columbia about receiving all my application materials and applicants will be contacted by phone. Apparently, Tufts notifies by snail mail so be on the lookout for that if you applied there. I did have my first interview today; I felt a bit rusty but now I think I have my spiel ready for the standard questions they're going to throw at every interview. BTW, texas_dds, your questions are creative, but I hate those kinds of questions b/c I always think of a really good answer to the question after I've left the interview.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon

For the women who are interviewing - what have you mostly seen other girls wearing? Every girl today had on a black suit, except for me in my gray and another girl in brown. I'm just wondering if any girls are daring enough to stray from the traditional dark colors to maybe a maroon or magenta or if any ditched the suit altogether for a skirt and blouse.

griffin04 said:
For the women who are interviewing - what have you mostly seen other girls wearing? Every girl today had on a black suit, except for me in my gray and another girl in brown. I'm just wondering if any girls are daring enough to stray from the traditional dark colors to maybe a maroon or magenta or if any ditched the suit altogether for a skirt and blouse.

my suit is light brown and i hate pantyhose!

TrojanDDS said:

I read on another forum and heard from faculty that OEC will take over UMKC's grad ortho program. Supposedly they will keep their 4 positions a year, but OEC will pick their own additional 12 spots per year.

I just talked to Ernie Bono at OEC a couple of weeks ago and he never mentioned UMKC at all. He told me Just UC, JU, and UNLV with no immediate plans of expansion. Well, maybe they are trying to keep it quiet...

griffin04 said:
I have no new news about interview invites today. Except for a garbled message from Columbia about receiving all my application materials and applicants will be contacted by phone. Apparently, Tufts notifies by snail mail so be on the lookout for that if you applied there. I did have my first interview today; I felt a bit rusty but now I think I have my spiel ready for the standard questions they're going to throw at every interview. BTW, texas_dds, your questions are creative, but I hate those kinds of questions b/c I always think of a really good answer to the question after I've left the interview.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon

You can add pitt to your list.

Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)
Tufts
Pittsburgh

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)
Baylor

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon

34 on my list who have contacted. Any more?

TrojanDDS said:
Rochester (9/1)
Harvard (9/15)
Penn (10/1)
Montefiore (9/15)
St. Barnabas (9/15)
Albert Einstein (10/1)
UConn
NYU (9/15)
Columbia (10/1)
Tufts
Pittsburgh

LSU (9/1)
Nova Southeastern
Louisville (10/1)
St. Louis (9/15)
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
West Virginia (9/15)
Houston
San Antonio (9/15)
Baylor

Michigan
Nebraska
Marquette
Iowa (9/1)
Oklahoma (10/1)
Indiana

Washington (9/15)
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Oregon

34 on my list who have contacted. Any more?

Illinois

UKMC has also contacted today (10/12/04)

DDS05 said:
UKMC has also contacted today (10/12/04)

You can add Tufts to that list as well.....

TrojanDDS said:

Can you comment on this in a little more detail. (was this faculty at UMKC that you heard this from? What board did you hear this on?)I was offered an interview at UMKC on a date where I have already scheduled an interview. I was very interested in UMKC's program initially and was thinking about cancelling the other interview to attend UMKC's. However, If there is any truth to what you are saying about them rolling over to the OEC I will more than likely turn down their request. Any insight would be appreciated. I would hate to make this decision based on speculation and rumor. Thanks for your help !

kellehe said:
Can you comment on this in a little more detail. (was this faculty at UMKC that you heard this from? What board did you hear this on?)I was offered an interview at UMKC on a date where I have already scheduled an interview. I was very interested in UMKC's program initially and was thinking about cancelling the other interview to attend UMKC's. However, If there is any truth to what you are saying about them rolling over to the OEC I will more than likely turn down their request. Any insight would be appreciated. I would hate to make this decision based on speculation and rumor. Thanks for your help !

According to the Office of the Provost as posted on UMKC website, "UMKC officials have been approached by Orthodontic Education Corporation (OEC) about a partnership program which is similar to its partnerships with Jacksonville University, the University of Colorado Health Sciences School of Dentistry and, most recently, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dentistry."

That stinks :mad:

woah probably turning down umkc tomorrow

Anyone heard from Minnesota?

texas_dds said:
my suit is light brown and i hate pantyhose!

:D :laugh: :D

My type of women :laugh: Yeeehaaahh :laugh:

wow.

4 programs at 12 residents each. what's that, 20% of all US ortho grads each year? :eek:

retrognathic said:
To find out more about umkc and oec check out this link:

http://www.umkc.edu/provost/news_events/newsdetail.asp?ID=130

looks like this "virus" is spreading!!!

And it will continue to spread, because from a monetary standpoint, it is better business for the school. Not necessarily better for academics or the profession or reputations, but for $$ on both ends.

TrojanDDS said:
Anyone heard from Minnesota?

Minnesota is a strange program that doesn't interview. They will review applications and then call people over the phone to accept them, skipping the whole interview process together. Therefore, they are not part of Match. (One of my classmates is in their program now, that's the only reason I'm aware of it.)

texas_dds said:
woah probably turning down umkc tomorrow

I think I am probably going to do the same.. but I am going to call them directly before I do that...the stipened they offer is very attractive ..also VCU contacted today ...Best of luck to everyone and thanks for the posts !

kellehe said:
I think I am probably going to do the same.. but I am going to call them directly before I do that...the stipened they offer is very attractive ..also VCU contacted today ...Best of luck to everyone and thanks for the posts !

I'd encourage anyone declining UMKC's interview to call them and tell them the reason is because of OEC. That may help give the department added evidence to present to the dean against an OEC contract. I'm quite sure that the orthodontic faculty are trying their hardest to convince the dean and others not to sign.