Organic Chemistry Over The Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1 year of organic in 9weeks: good or bad idea for med school transcrip

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

purplemose10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious: is taking organic chemistry over the summer (the entire year in 9 weeks) looked down upon by admissions committees?

I am a junior with a 3.8 gpa trying to get up to speed with science classes after making the decision to try to be a Psychiatrist the end of my sophomore year.
- have shadowed 2 psychiatrists
- roughly 150 hours of volunteering in a psychiatric ward

Any further advice on admission chances for medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

A full year of orgo in 9 weeks? Is this even possible? I don't think admissons committees will necessarily look down on this, because a typical summer orgo class is 6 weeks for 1 quarter and is usually very brutal due to the pace, maybe even more difficult than in a regular year.

If the instructors are excellent, give it a chance. If they are not as good it will harder for you to retain all that info in such a short period of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was terrible.... but one of my best decisions. Ochem sucks, and doing it all in 14 weeks sucked, but I'm glad it didn't drag on for 8 months. I don't think ADCOMS look down on it.

I did a full year of orgo with labs over the summer at a uni back home after my sophomore year and it was one of the better decisions I made in college. Just do well and you will be happy that you did it.