Schools that values more research over clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perlman123

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently trying to add school list. My MCAT is 524(132, 128, 132, 132) and my sGPA is 3.78, and cGPA is 3.69, my hook is that I want to address LGBT health disparities since my research and volunteering are all LGBT related. But I know I have some weaknesses, mostly about 100 hours of clinical volunteering at LGBT health clinic, and 300 hours at suicide hotline, which I know is a gray area during covid even though I work with social workers and on call psychatrist. I know I'm blessed that I have done over 3000 hours of research and have gotten coauthorship in 4 peered review papers (neuroImage clinc 7th author, neurovirology 4th author, and JAMA 21author -- it has like 50 authors on that paper cuz it's like the largest paper on neuroHIV)

with my 4+ years of software engineer experience building applications to connect patients to doctors. I'm wondering which school more likely to look for students with research experience and might let me pass on my low clinical number due to COVID. At this point I just started volunteering at the ED department assuming that I'd have to reapply, but any suggestion on schools list would be helpful. Thank you <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm currently trying to add school list. My MCAT is 524(132, 128, 132, 132) and my sGPA is 3.78, and cGPA is 3.69, my hook is that I want to address LGBT health disparities since my research and volunteering are all LGBT related. But I know I have some weaknesses, mostly about 100 hours of clinical volunteering at LGBT health clinic, and 300 hours at suicide hotline, which I know is a gray area during covid even though I work with social workers and on call psychatrist. I know I'm blessed that I have done over 3000 hours of research and have gotten coauthorship in 4 peered review papers (neuroImage clinc 7th author, neurovirology 4th author, and JAMA 21author -- it has like 50 authors on that paper cuz it's like the largest paper on

neuroHIV)

with my 4+ years of software engineer experience building applications to connect patients to doctors. I'm wondering which school more likely to look for students with research experience and might let me pass on my low clinical number due to COVID. At this point I just started volunteering at the ED department assuming that I'd have to reapply, but any suggestion on schools list would be helpful. Thank you <3
Start with UCSF, U Chicago, and Hopkins!!!

So, I generally agree with others that you likely have more than enough other "stuff" to get accepted regardless of your lack of clinical exposure. However, my question is whether you intend research to be an important part of your career going forward? If so, why aren't you applying to MSTP programs to further foster your career as a physician scientist? If you DON'T want to be a physician scientist, then what was the point of all the research and why didn't you spend some of that time getting more clinical exposure if that is what you really want your future career to look like.

You don't need to give those answers here. But I'd come up with an answer prior to interviewing, because those are the kinds of questions I would ask.

Reactions: 1 user