Oral Surgery: Trying to decide where to extern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flat4

Mullet Redesigner
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to extern at some four years but I realize I don't know much about any of the programs. I've looked at old threads here and what little info their individual websites offer but I can't narrow my choices down. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these programs including what you think are the areas of focus, atmosphere (ie. county club/malignant), pros/cons, red flags, etc. Don't hear much about these programs here so anything would help at this point.

Me---> location is not too big of a deal but I would like to go somewhere warm :cool:. I want solid training in dentoalveolar (implants are a plus) with a healthy side of trauma and orthognathics. I'm married and plan on having kids while in residency so a family friendly atmosphere would be nice (I know, I'm pushing it now). Thanks!

-UOP/Highland
-UNC
-Cristiana Care Health Systems
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple Episcopal
-Washington Hospital Center
-Denver Health Medical Center
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Iowa
-Boston University
-Tufts University
-USC
-MLK/Drew Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

flat4 said:
Looking to extern at some four years but I realize I don't know much about any of the programs. I've looked at old threads here and what little info their individual websites offer but I can't narrow my choices down. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these programs including what you think are the areas of focus, atmosphere (ie. county club/malignant), pros/cons, red flags, etc. Don't hear much about these programs here so anything would help at this point.

Me---> location is not too big of a deal but I would like to go somewhere warm :cool:. I want solid training in dentoalveolar (implants are a plus) with a healthy side of trauma and orthognathics. I'm married and plan on having kids while in residency so a family friendly atmosphere would be nice (I know, I'm pushing it now). Thanks!

-UOP/Highland
-UNC
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple Episcopal
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Iowa
-Boston University
-Tufts University
-USC
-MLK/Drew Medical Center
Don't know too much about these programs... But, if you want a real good hands on experience, LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, Oregon, and Parkland are real powerhouse programs that let you get your hands dirty. Even if you aren't thinking of going to any of these programs, it looks great on your application letting the programs you are interested in know you have had a hardcore externship. Can't lose with any of these places to extern at. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I've heard the most about.

Montefiore is one of the best 4 yr program in the North East.
Alot of private practice stuff(implants and dental alveolar) plus good amount of trauma and orthognathic cases. Plus its about 20-30 min from manhattan!

Members don't see this ad :)
TiggerJSA said:
LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, Oregon, and Parkland are real powerhouse programs that let you get your hands dirty.
I could be wrong, but I believe LSU NO is currently not accepting any extern applications due to temporary relocation of our program in Baton Rouge and trying to re-establish a teaching hospital. Once University Hospital opens back up in Aug-Sept. 2006 in New Orleans, I believe then extern applications would become available.

flat4 said:

-UOP/Highland
-UNC
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple Episcopal
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Iowa
-Boston University
-Tufts University
-USC
-MLK/Drew Medical Center

I am not sure how you came up with you list, especially if you want to go somewhere warm... Of the ones you listed, I've heard the most good things about UOP, UNC, washington hospital. and the Iowa. I have heard some pretty negative things about a several on your list, which I will not publicly post. One of my classmates externed at Iowa and got to do alot of hands on as an extern. He ended up matching there. There are a number of good 4 year programs you didn't list. I personally think you should extern where you might want to end up, but going to an aggressive hands on program is good on your CV.

flat4 said:

-UOP/Highland
-UNC
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple Episcopal
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Iowa
-Boston University
-Tufts University
-USC
-MLK/Drew Medical Center

WHC is a great program. I heard TJUH was not as strong and UNC was decent even with all the faculty changes. I have heard lately that Nova is decent so mabe Yah-e can elaborate. WHC does a ton of implants and trauma and orthognathics. I interviewed there and I was impressed. I heard CHristiana and Iowa were among the best 4 year programs in the US. I would second Tigger though and extern at Powerhouse program(LSU-Sh, OHSU, UTSW, LSU-NO) since many of the PD's at other places trained at one of the powerhouses and it looks good on your CV. I also heard that UKY and Emory have good externships. :cool:

There should be a ton of threads on this. In summary, extern at Parkland, LSU Shreveport, or LSU New Orleans. Other externships don't really match up to what you get to do at these externships. Plus, any of them will look good an an application.

flat4 said:

-UOP/Highland
-UNC
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple Episcopal
-Nova Southeastern
-University of Iowa
-Boston University
-Tufts University
-USC
-MLK/Drew Medical Center

Yah-E said:
I could be wrong, but I believe LSU NO is currently not accepting any extern applications due to temporary relocation of our program in Baton Rouge and trying to re-establish a teaching hospital. Once University Hospital opens back up in Aug-Sept. 2006 in New Orleans, I believe then extern applications would become available.

I heard that they reopened their extern program but you need to bring scuba gear to attend.

Other good four years are Ohio State and Seattle.......I know its not warm but suck it up.

Memphis?
Knoxville?
Fresno?
UWash?

I would say that maybe do one of the big externs but then extern where you want to go. I think it might have helped me a bit if I had externed differently. Then again, maybe I'm a tool.

north2southOMFS said:
I heard that they reopened their extern program but you need to bring scuba gear to attend.

That's great news! I also heard that oxygen tanks are available upon request from those externs with 90+ NBDE Part 1 scores! Instead of wiring a mandible fracture during the externship, an extern is required to remove hurricane debris from the dental building. No more exodontia experiences, but increase exposure in habitat for humanity. :thumbup:

UNLV OMS GUNNABE said:
I would say that maybe do one of the big externs but then extern where you want to go. I think it might have helped me a bit if I had externed differently. Then again, maybe I'm a tool.

cough... cough... cough... (hand over mouth) coughtool...cough....cough

Don't be so hard on yourself, you've done well. You've matched and now you get to show your wares... A good buddy of mine went to Houston and he loved it...worked CRAZY hard and saw tons of CRAZY stuff... you'll do fine. They rotated up in Michigan at the time doing some cool craniofacial stuff. I don't know if they still do. You get to steal some of Yahe's experience because a fair amount of that NO fodder is in Houston. Life's good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV OMS GUNNABE said:

No bro you are definitley not a tool.

I think externing only helps to an extent... i dont know if where you extern you have a better shot but out of the "Posse" NONE matched where externed. :confused:

I cant wait to see what really goes on behind the scenes... all the dart throwing and blind folded picks. :smuggrin:

[brown nose on] First off, thanks for all your helpful responses. I'm very surprised this thread hasn't gone south yet :laugh: Seriously though, I never would have thought about applying to OS in the past (especially with the extra 4-6 years) but you guys have really opened my eyes to this field and have had a big influence in my recent interest in OS. So I thank you and thanks Gavin for giving these kids a place to play. [/brown nose off]

As for the topic at hand, I should have been more specific. I really wanted to know about these programs not only for externship purposes but more to narrow down my top choices. I realize that doing a "big boy" externship is important and I intend on doing one but I also want to do one externship at my top choice...which is where this thread comes in. I'm from CA, went to undergrad in Oregon, I'm in Philly now, and I intend on moving to Hawaii to practice (wife's hometown). So obviously, I'm not sold on one location and don't mind studying in another city before I settle down...and I will suck it up in the cold again if I have to but my better half would like to get out of the cold. But when it comes down to it, I want to go to the place that will give me the best training and help me realize my potential and my goals. I want strong bread and butter but orthognathic is important and I fully intend on taking call so I want to be trained well in that as well.

As for how I came up with my choices, I went with what I've heard from others (including here). I also went through the AAOMS list of accredited programs and went to the separate links to see if I could dig up any info:

-UOP/Highland (word of mouth; location)
-UNC (heard good comments from here and other oral surgeons)
-Cristiana Care Health Systems (impressed with website and what they claim)
-Thomas Jefferson (one of my upperclassmen will be going here)
-Temple Episcopal (hear positive and negative comments)
-Washington Hospital Center (heard great things here and elsewhere)
-Denver Health Medical Center (wife has family here)
-Nova Southeastern (heard good stuff and it's warm :D)
-University of Iowa (Oral Surgeon/family friend in Hawaii went here and he recommended it)
-Boston University (Heard good stuff)
-Tufts University (Heard good stuff)
-USC (Near my family in LA, know nothing about)
-MLK/Drew Medical Center (Near my family, know nothing about)

As you can see, there's some reason to my choices but I need to narrow this down so I can start sending extern application/s to my favorites. And this list is by no means exclusive so please make other suggestions. Thanks for your help!

TiggerJSA said:
Don't know too much about these programs... But, if you want a real good hands on experience, LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, Oregon, and Parkland are real powerhouse programs that let you get your hands dirty. Even if you aren't thinking of going to any of these programs, it looks great on your application letting the programs you are interested in know you have had a hardcore externship. Can't lose with any of these places to extern at. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I've heard the most about.

Are any of these 2 weeks in length? I think most of those you mentioned are over a month and I'm just not sure I can take that much time off without getting in the hole DEEP in grad requirements.. Do you know of any good 2 week programs? Thanks for your help.

USCtrojan said:
Alot of private practice stuff(implants and dental alveolar) plus good amount of trauma and orthognathic cases. Plus its about 20-30 min from manhattan!
Added to the list. Thanks!

Yah-E said:

What's your opinion on Nova's program? I know a Pedo resident from there and from the sounds of it, I should have gone there instead of this hellhole. Don't let me make the same mistake twice :D

Extraction said:
I am not sure how you came up with you list, especially if you want to go somewhere warm... Of the ones you listed, I've heard the most good things about UOP, UNC, washington hospital. and the Iowa. I have heard some pretty negative things about a several on your list, which I will not publicly post. One of my classmates externed at Iowa and got to do alot of hands on as an extern. He ended up matching there. There are a number of good 4 year programs you didn't list. I personally think you should extern where you might want to end up, but going to an aggressive hands on program is good on your CV.

If you don't mind, please PM me the names of the ones you think are red flags and your reasoning for it. This is exactly why I started this thread so please help me from making any mistakes! Thanks for your reply.

GatorDMD said:
WHC is a great program. I heard TJUH was not as strong and UNC was decent even with all the faculty changes. I have heard lately that Nova is decent so mabe Yah-e can elaborate. WHC does a ton of implants and trauma and orthognathics. I interviewed there and I was impressed. I heard CHristiana and Iowa were among the best 4 year programs in the US. I would second Tigger though and extern at Powerhouse program(LSU-Sh, OHSU, UTSW, LSU-NO) since many of the PD's at other places trained at one of the powerhouses and it looks good on your CV. I also heard that UKY and Emory have good externships. :cool:

Thanks man. Can you elaborate a little more on Cristiana (Christiana)?

north2southOMFS said:
Other good four years are Ohio State and Seattle.......I know its not warm but suck it up.
Ohio added. Seatle...not sure I'm ready for seasonal affective disorder again.

esclavo said:
Memphis?
Knoxville?
Fresno?
UWash?

UW...too much rain.
Fresno...well, it's Fresno :p
Memphis/Knoxville...never been there. How diverse of a city is it?

In sailing circles this is called being a fair weather extern. jk. :) It's just 2-4 weeks. I'd go to Somalia for a month if it had a bitchin program. Seriously though, I wouldn't worry so much about the environment because you'll be indoors virtually every waking minute, or at least you should be.

flat4 said:
UW...too much rain.
Fresno...well, it's Fresno :p

Alright, you've changed your story a few times. What is it that you are looking for. Good programs? Good Externships? Warm Weather? What is most important to you?

There have been threads for good four year programs (most are cold weather not warm weather- those are six year programs in the nice heat). Those good programs don't always have good externships but some do. Externships-you've gotten good advice. Warm weather? toughen up a little. I'm from Arizona went to Minnesota for dental school, am currently in Illinois. You adjust... Don't whine, go to a good program. Forget warm weather (you won't be outside much anyways-except to go to and from your car). I'm surprised how many young people complain about cold weather... I though only old geeezers did that.... :rolleyes:

esclavo said:
Alright, you've changed your story a few times. What is it that you are looking for. Good programs? Good Externships? Warm Weather? What is most important to you?

There have been threads for good four year programs (most are cold weather not warm weather- those are six year programs in the nice heat). Those good programs don't always have good externships but some do. Externships-you've gotten good advice. Warm weather? toughen up a little. I'm from Arizona went to Minnesota for dental school, am currently in Illinois. You adjust... Don't whine, go to a good program. Forget warm weather (you won't be outside much anyways-except to go to and from your car). I'm surprised how many young people complain about cold weather... I though only old geeezers did that.... :rolleyes:

Okay, I realize my posts are confusing as hell as I've had diarhea of the keyboard the last few nights trying to figure out where I would possibly want to go.

#1 I want a strong program. If there is a good program that is in a decent climate, then that would be frosting on the stripper. Although I'm self admittingly a *****, I'm asking about the weather b/c my wife would be happier in a warmer area but again, this is of secondary importance. I realize I'd be stuck under a roof all day and if I were doing it alone, I wouldn't have even brought this up.
#2 When I said I was trying to decide where to extern, I was implying that that program would be one of my top choices and I'd be doing the externship to show them my serious intrest. I've been here long enough to know that it's generally a good idea to extern somewhere in addition to your top choice that will work your ass even if you don't intend on going there.
#3 I've been here long enough to know what people consider are the top four year programs (ie. UW, Minnesota, etc). I haven't heard much of the programs I listed so that's what I was really trying to get at. The real thread title should have been: "What are the pros/cons of the programs listed? Which programs would you want to be trained at and why or why not?".

Sorry for the confusion.

From my externships and interview process, this is what i gathered from the programs. Some people might disagree but this is just from my experience. I am only commenting on those that either i externed/interviewd/or heard from other interviewer/friend/resident.

-UOP/Highland (very solid 4-yr program, lot of trauma though)
-Cristiana Care Health Systems (don't be impressed with what website tells you, I heard programs in chicago/Illinois in general are not that great) this includes cook county(had to post-match), University of Illinois, chicago.
-Thomas Jefferson (not a great program...from what i hear from other interviewers)
-Washington Hospital Center (i was there for the interview, and was impressed, very solid 4-yr program)
-Boston University (no...i wasn't impressed with this program, i wouldn't waste my time here)
-Tufts University (they usually take 1 from their own school i heard)
-USC (no comment)
-MLK/Drew Medical Center (don't even apply here, they lost their trauma center and who know's whats going to happen here.)

some other solid 4 year programs you should find more about
U. of Washington (very solid 4-yr program)
Montefiore medical center (very solid and one of the best 4-yr program in the NE, lot of bread and butter, they do tons of implants)
Rochester (solid 4yr program, lot of orthognathic cases)

flat4 said:

I hear people who went to dental school in memphis are white trash redneck hillbilly's. I hear they actually cut big holes in their doghouses and run big ugly tubing from a window air conditioner sitting on their deck to it. I hear they train in places like louisianna and texas. ;)

Ok, as far as which extership is good for a 4 year. Well the only 4 year i externed at was Minnesota (twin city) and the externship was really weak, but it was a hell of a good program, in fact i didn't see a flaw in that program except that i would have ranked them higher if they were 6 year. They have good private practice experience, good tertiary care experience, and they have good attendings. They did lose dr. sandler which is a negative but i'm sure they are still good. they do have too many females in the program, but if your married your probably safe. I really liked their program and the residents and attendings they had.

But their externship was the worst i went on out of the 5 that i did.

They made me take out teeth in their student clinic all 2 weeks, and i even had to submit a grading form for each one! I got graded! I have to say i did do pretty well though. (i had just come back from 1 month at shreveport where i really learned to shuck so they were kinda amazed at my speed.)

So i think you have it right, do an externship at one where you can actually do, not watch. Then do the rest at places you want to go to, because it really makes a difference.

north2southOMFS said:
Ok, as far as which extership is good for a 4 year. Well the only 4 year i externed at was Minnesota (twin city) and the externship was really weak, but it was a hell of a good program, in fact i didn't see a flaw in that program except that i would have ranked them higher if they were 6 year. They have good private practice experience, good tertiary care experience, and they have good attendings. They did lose dr. sandler which is a negative but i'm sure they are still good. they do have too many females in the program, but if your married your probably safe. I really liked their program and the residents and attendings they had.

But their externship was the worst i went on out of the 5 that i did.

They made me take out teeth in their student clinic all 2 weeks, and i even had to submit a grading form for each one! I got graded! I have to say i did do pretty well though. (i had just come back from 1 month at shreveport where i really learned to shuck so they were kinda amazed at my speed.)

So i think you have it right, do an externship at one where you can actually do, not watch. Then do the rest at places you want to go to, because it really makes a difference.

Strong 4 year programs:
Oklahoma
Iowa
Minnesota
Memphis
Knoxville
UWashington-Seattle
I like where I'm at Carle-huge scope-wide experience/exposure-no other surgical residencies in the hospital. On off service rotation... that's me doing the hernia, the lap choly, lap appy, abdominoplasty, breast reduction, free nipple grafts, removing the melanoma, cracking the chest, not some senior plastics/ent/general surgery resident....

esclavo said:
Strong 4 year programs:
Oklahoma
Iowa
Minnesota
Memphis
Knoxville
UWashington-Seattle
I like where I'm at Carle-huge scope-wide experience/exposure-no other surgical residencies in the hospital. On off service rotation... that's me doing the hernia, the lap choly, lap appy, abdominoplasty, breast reduction, free nipple grafts, removing the melanoma, cracking the chest, not some senior plastics/ent/general surgery resident....

I've heard that Seattle is having a tough time getting midface trauma and implants. Also, their malpractice insurance prohibits any extern from doing anything other than watching.

esclavo said:
...free nipple grafts...

Hehe, I once knew a girl with no nipples. No scars either. Seriously. I have no idea what was going on but it was weird. Just like a Barbie doll.

drhobie7 said:
Hehe, I once knew a girl with no nipples. No scars either. Seriously. I have no idea what was going on but it was weird. Just like a Barbie doll.

nipples.............it's the only thing thats making a 5 pound blob of fat look attractive!! :D

esclavo said:
Strong 4 year programs:
Oklahoma
Iowa
Minnesota
Memphis
Knoxville
UWashington-Seattle

One caveat....Our externship is weak! The hospital makes it virtually impossible to get the externs involved. I'd only come here for 1 week max if interested.

esclavo said:
One caveat....Our externship is weak! The hospital makes it virtually impossible to get the externs involved. I'd only come here for 1 week max if interested.
....long time lurker....only 2 posts....love the way you guys talk smack...
just 2 quick questions...where is "our externship"? and would you recommend going to somewhere like LSU or parkland or anywhere without much experience in the clinic?

flat4 said:
Looking to extern at some four years but I realize I don't know much about any of the programs. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these programs including what you think are the areas of focus, atmosphere (ie. county club/malignant).

I would like to go somewhere warm :cool:. I want solid training in dentoalveolar (implants are a plus) with a healthy side of trauma and orthognathics. I'm married and plan on having kids while in residency so a family friendly atmosphere would be nice (I know, I'm pushing it now). Thanks!

-Nova Southeastern

I would be glad to share about NSU OMFS. Externship? Don't waste your time if your goal is to have hands on experiences. At this time, all dentoalveolar exposure is done at the dental school's pre-doc OMFS clinic, the outpatient dental wing at the teaching hospital has not opened yet! Residents barely have enough to do to entertain themselves needless to say to have cool experiences for externs.

Only positives about coming to NSU OMFS for an externship is to see first hand what the residency has to offer or don't offer and meet the residents & faculty. Don't expect to get your hands dirty at all, even if you take trauma call at the hospital.

The 4 years I've been here at NSU CDM, I've only met 2 externs total! One from Michigan and the other from UDMercy. A lot of NSUCDM students have "externed" here also, but I don't count those as externships. NSU OMFS has a Michigan connection because one of our Adjunct OMFS faculty also teaches at Michigan OMFS part-time. I would strongly suggest spend your two-four weeks elsewhere for an externship if you wish to learn and gain hands-on experiences. Again, unless you careless about hands-on as an extern and you just want to come by and hangout with NSU OMFS residents and faculty members.

USCtrojan said:
From my externships and interview process, this is what i gathered from the programs. Some people might disagree but this is just from my experience. I am only commenting on those that either i externed/interviewd/or heard from other interviewer/friend/resident.

-UOP/Highland (very solid 4-yr program, lot of trauma though)
-Cristiana Care Health Systems (don't be impressed with what website tells you, I heard programs in chicago/Illinois in general are not that great) this includes cook county(had to post-match), University of Illinois, chicago.
-Thomas Jefferson (not a great program...from what i hear from other interviewers)
-Washington Hospital Center (i was there for the interview, and was impressed, very solid 4-yr program)
-Boston University (no...i wasn't impressed with this program, i wouldn't waste my time here)
-Tufts University (they usually take 1 from their own school i heard)
-USC (no comment)
-MLK/Drew Medical Center (don't even apply here, they lost their trauma center and who know's whats going to happen here.)

some other solid 4 year programs you should find more about
U. of Washington (very solid 4-yr program)
Montefiore medical center (very solid and one of the best 4-yr program in the NE, lot of bread and butter, they do tons of implants)
Rochester (solid 4yr program, lot of orthognathic cases)

Hey trojan,

Christiana care is in Delaware, not Chicago, and it's supposed to be pretty good. I didn't interview/extern there, but just letting you know.

USCtrojan said:
This is a huge minus for me. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

north2southOMFS said:
I hear people who went to dental school in memphis are white trash redneck hillbilly's. I hear they actually cut big holes in their doghouses and run big ugly tubing from a window air conditioner sitting on their deck to it.
I can't help it if I treat my dogs better than my wife. At least they'll shut-up after you let them in the house.

I would recommend Christopher Price Hospital. As Gary Ruska says, the Price is just right at Christopher's Hospital!

Thanks,
Gary Ruska

gary_ruska said:
I would recommend Christopher Price Hospital. As Gary Ruska says, the Price is just right at Christopher's Hospital!

Thanks,
Gary Ruska
I'll take "Worst First Post Ever" for $500, Alex...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I'll take "Worst First Post Ever" for $500, Alex...

How about the worst 4th post for $500....cough....cough....cough

And I though I was going crazy talking to myself alot...this guy actually refers to his other self in his writing... I didn't have a psych rotation to correctly diagnose this... who can help me?

Just extern at Parkland or LSU Shreveport. You will get a great externship that everybody respects even if you don't have any desire to go there.

Thanks for all your responses. You guys have been more than helpful in narrowing down my chioces. To show you my appreciation, I offer you these:
Adriana_Lima69.jpg

cuthbert3_1024x768.jpg

108498182019.jpg

And for some of you, you may enjoy these:
NikkiFuller.jpg

Woman6.jpg

2d_1_b.JPG

91_1_b.JPG

On a more serious note, anyone here know anything about Temple's program (don't worry, my feelings won't be hurt) or Denver? Only two I haven't heard much about off my list. I hear good and bad things about Temple and the only thing I know about Denver is that they did't match a spot this past cycle. Anyone got some dirt on these guys?

flat4 said:
On a more serious note, anyone here know anything about Temple's program (don't worry, my feelings won't be hurt) or Denver? Only two I haven't heard much about off my list. I hear good and bad things about Temple and the only thing I know about Denver is that they did't match a spot this past cycle. Anyone got some dirt on these guys?

From what I have heard second hand, Temple is very busy, they do alot of DA, sedation/GA (bytheway, I hear these two being used one and the same, arent they totally different), and being in Philly obviously alot of trauma. Secondly, I had heard, so this is unfounded, that they had problems with the dental school and are no longer affiliated with the school. If someone can verify that it would be great.

Good luck finding anything on Denver, its a bitch just to get through to the program, they offer no externship, wont return calls. I dont know if it is b/c they are so busy or just dont care. I skied there a few times and the city is great, so I would naturally consider it, but...who knows

Those pictures started of great, then it all went downhill....

toofache32 said:
Those pictures started of great, then it all went downhill....
Unless you're TX OMS...

Just some other thoughts about externships. Do programs take it as a slap in the face if you do an externship at their program when you don't even plan on applying there (ie. if I plan on externing at a 6 year when I only plan on applying to 4 years)?

Also, if I do one "hardcore" externship and one at my first choice, then won't programs I DON'T extern at know that they are not my first choice and automatically red flag me? I guess my worry is if I don't match into my #1 choice. Should I consider just doing one long hardcore externship and not favor one school over another?

Sorry for all these dumb questions but I'm just about ready to send in some apps and I just want to make sure I'm not pulling the trigger prematurely(and yes I have been reading all the older posts here on externships).