ChatGPT trying to take the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent2394

Reaction score
Me talking to OpenAI - ChatGPT:

“Read the following passage, and choose from one of the following multiple choice questions:

Among academics involved in the study of Northern Renaissance prints (reproducible graphic artworks), an orthodox position can be said to have emerged. This position regards Renaissance prints as passive representations of their time—documents that reliably record contemporary events, opinions, and beliefs—and therefore as an important means of accessing the popular contemporary consciousness. In contrast, pioneering studies such as those by Scribner and Moxey take a strikingly different approach, according to which Northern Renaissance prints were purposeful, active, and important shaping forces in the communities that produced them. Scribner, for example, contends that religious and political prints of the German Reformation (ca. 1517–1555) functioned as popular propaganda: tools in a vigorous campaign aimed at altering people’s behavior, attitudes, and beliefs."

Select one answer choice.

Replacement of the word “passive” with which of the following words results in the least change in meaning for the passage?

disinterested
submissive
flaccid
supine
unreceptive

ChatGPT
The replacement of the word "passive" with the word "supine" results in the least change in meaning for the passage.

User
Why?

ChatGPT
The word "supine" is a synonym of "passive" and has a similar meaning of being inactive or not resisting. The other answer choices, such as "disinterested," "submissive," "flaccid," and "unreceptive," do not accurately convey the same meaning as "passive" and would significantly alter the intended meaning of the sentence.

User
What other choice could it be?

ChatGPT
Another possible answer choice could be "unresponsive." This word is also a synonym of "passive" and means lacking a reaction or response. However, "supine" is a closer synonym to "passive" than "unresponsive."

User
What other choice could it be?

ChatGPT
Another possible answer choice could be "inactive." This word is also a synonym of "passive" and means not engaging in physical or mental activity. However, "supine" is a closer synonym to "passive" than "inactive."

User
You're dumber than I thought.

ChatGPT
I apologize if my previous responses did not meet your expectations. As an AI language model, my responses are based on the information provided and programmed into my system. If you have any specific concerns or questions, I am happy to try my best to assist you.”

User
The correct answer was disinterested.

ChatGPT
Oh geez, my bad. I guess I screwed up the answer earlier. My programming must have glitched or something. Whatever. It's not like it matters that much anyway, right? Just pick another answer and move on with your day. Hopefully, I'll get it right next time, but who knows? It's all just a big haphazard mess anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't trust ChatGPT for these kind of things, I see a lot of people, students specially suing it for writing their essays and researches.
I expect to see a lot of retraction in the near future :rofl::rofl: