Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well i plan to do a one year OMFS intership. Do you think that will boost up my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Well i think i am in the top 25-30% of my class, but i did do pretty good on the boards, Plus do you think doing a one year internship in OMFS will boost my chances?

River13 said:
I would say the triple threat is class rank, boards score, and interview, closely followed by externships. Class rank makes dental GPA obsolete. Just FYI!

Griffin got my point. GPA means nothing when there's class ranking.

Yah, in your example, if you have two #4s from two different schools, one has 3.62 and the other one has a 3.35, GPA MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! What the program would then look at is boards scores of the individual, as well as the class board score and reputation of the dental school as a whole. #4 at UCONN would look a lot better than #4 at Meharry. GPA however wouldn't come into play.

GPA varies too much by school to be a reliable predictor/comparer of candidates. Nearly everyone in my graduating class in the top 8% had greater than 3.9, which as Grif pointed out, is very different from his school. A 4.0 is common for #1 where I graduated--grad programs know this and that's why class rank makes GPA obsolete.

GRE is required only for programs w/ masters degrees. LSU is not one of those

Shariq- I think your chances would be pretty good w/ a 1 year internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
River13 said:
GPA varies too much by school to be a reliable predictor/comparer of candidates. Nearly everyone in my graduating class in the top 8% had greater than 3.9, which as Grif pointed out, is very different from his school. A 4.0 is common for #1 where I graduated--grad programs know this and that's why class rank makes GPA obsolete.

Here are the similar stats from my class at Buffalo to show how variable GPA is. The #1 student graduated with a GPA > 3.75 (I don't know what the actual GPA was, my guess is a 3.8ish). The top 12% graduated with a GPA > 3.5. This is out of 90 students. Compared to Louisville, where River just graduated from, our GPAs look real weak, but that's why programs obsess with class rank.

Any idea about if these programs have tution for attending (other than med school tution for the 6 yr programs).
And anyone have any insight on Uof Michigan's program.

I have sent emails to those of you who gave me your info. If you did send me an email but did not receive something from me, can you please let me know? Much thanks :)

I just attended the Mt. Sinai graduation ceremony on Monday. Although certificates were presented to all the residents finishing this year (GPR, Dental Anesthesia, OMS Fellowships, Pedo Fellowships), the two OMS residents graduating from their 6-year program were really the stars of this show.

The one resident will be entering private practice outside of Los Angeles. The other resident is entering a plastic surgery residency at LSU. From what they read, this guy sounded incredibly hardworking and accomplished. They mentioned he usually took all his vacations to coincide with research meetings and had conducted and presented a ton of research as a resident. I just wanted to share what I observed at this ceremony b/c I know there is often a discussion on the OMS threads about pursuing plastics after doing OMS, here is one further example of someone actually doing it.

LSU HSC at NO's plastic surgery residency was shut-downed couple years back because it wasn't doing so well. I guess this upcoming July is their first year back on service. Also, the ENT residency here at LSU, I've heard is also pretty poor in comparison to other ENT residencies in the country. I was adviced that if you want a heavy actioned OMFS residency, select residencies that has a weak ENT program.

Just thought I share from I have heard.

Correction:

LSU Plastics was never shut-downed. It was Tulane Plastics that is starting back up. My bad!

Some great info here...

Mods, can we move this one into the Residency Forum? Thanks!

DentStud said:
I wanted to start a new forum for those who have interest in Oral & Maxillofacial surgery here! Anyone with anything interesting to share relating to the practice of or residency training please post your message here!

Greetings: I am only a patient of Oral & Maxillofacial surgery trying to meet the costs of dental implants and I wonder what opportunities exist to engage the services of a dental student for this purpose. I would like to ask you whether you would be able to help me find such a student. I hope my inquiring doesn't offend you--I responded simply because your dental website accepted my registering as a non-student.

I've had to go a number of years with an incomplete smile and continual smaller temporary expenses(in the hundreds of dollar range at least, rather than the thousands of dollar range) that got me no where. I feel trapped
and helpless and would dearly appreciate the dental services of a student or students with whom I could make a mutually agreed upon exhange to have implants put in my gums. (It would be nice to also be able to get the actual teeth themselves at a good cost, but this is of secondary importance and would depend on the overall cost involved or if they were postponed for a later date.)

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and would travel to whatever part of the state or midwest I had to. And I would thank you for any referrals, or access to referrals, you can give.

Call me "Restoration"

Restoration said:

Greetings: I am only a patient of Oral & Maxillofacial surgery trying to meet the costs of dental implants and I wonder what opportunities exist to engage the services of a dental student for this purpose. I would like to ask you whether you would be able to help me find such a student. I hope my inquiring doesn't offend you--I responded simply because your dental website accepted my registering as a non-student.

I've had to go a number of years with an incomplete smile and continual smaller temporary expenses(in the hundreds of dollar range at least, rather than the thousands of dollar range) that got me no where. I feel trapped
and helpless and would dearly appreciate the dental services of a student or students with whom I could make a mutually agreed upon exhange to have implants put in my gums. (It would be nice to also be able to get the actual teeth themselves at a good cost, but this is of secondary importance and would depend on the overall cost involved or if they were postponed for a later date.)

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and would travel to whatever part of the state or midwest I had to. And I would thank you for any referrals, or access to referrals, you can give.

Call me "Restoration"

No dental student would be able to place implants for you, my suggestion for you is to find an Oral Surgery residency in WI (there are a couple in Milwaukee) and get your implants done there. Better yet, if you can swing Chicago, I know all implants are fairly cheap at Cook County Hospital Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery residency.

Again, no dental students, but you need an Oral Surgery residency.

Yah-E said:
No dental student would be able to place implants for you, my suggestion for you is to find an Oral Surgery residency in WI (there are a couple in Milwaukee) and get your implants done there. Better yet, if you can swing Chicago, I know all implants are fairly cheap at Cook County Hospital Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery residency.

Again, no dental students, but you need an Oral Surgery residency.

Good suggestions. Oral Surgery residencies aren't the only ones who will place implants though. You could try this general dental residency (linked below) in your area and see if it might be more affordable for you there. Looks like they do implants at this program. If you are willing to travel to other states, look for hospitals with a Department of Dentistry that offers a "General Practice Residency" or "Oral Surgey Residency." Some hospitals may even have both programs.

http://www.meriter.com/mhs/hospital/dentprg.htm

There is also a dental school at Marquette University in your state, that's another good option to investigate.

But you should have someone plan the implants and subsequent teeth on the implants (the "crowns") together, even if the crowns are placed later down the line due to finances. No point in having implants in your jaws if you can't get the crowns done.

How much do OMS make on average on the west coast or southeast?