Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostin_space

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I contacted USMLE re: some computer concerns during my step 3. They told me they are looking into the matter and would let me know in like a week or something like that. I'm wondering - should I continue studying just in case they refuse to change my score or wait untilt he final determination is made? There were several computer glitches that happened on test day, and I'm seriously concerned re: data loss. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Has studying less ever been the right answer?

If something changes after they "investigate", I may not need to re-take it. So yes, not studying would be an option. I will never use >90% of the material for step 3.

Never assume a score will get changed.

Right, I'm not assuming, reason why I've started studying again, but I don't see how they can be like suck it! when the computer crashed, there were issues with the cases, etc. how do these cases typical work? Is there any recourse that we have typically?

Right, I'm not assuming, reason why I've started studying again, but I don't see how they can be like suck it! when the computer crashed, there were issues with the cases, etc. how do these cases typical work? Is there any recourse that we have typically?

you are talking about the USMLEs...they will come back and say... while there were computer issues, they had no effect on the final grading and your score stands...study...best case you optimized the time to study, worse case you wasted a few hours...of course you may want to consider taking a review course if the score sticks...

I've seen a good dozen of these threads and never seen a single person get their score changed by the USMLE. The most I've heard of is that they make a note on your USMLE transcript that there were irregularities during the exam.

Reactions: 3 users
I've seen a good dozen of these threads and never seen a single person get their score changed by the USMLE. The most I've heard of is that they make a note on your USMLE transcript that there were irregularities during the exam.

Irregularities refer to *you* as the test taker doing something wrong. When something like the computer crashing, power going off, etc. happens is not an irregularity. I had read of someone being allowed to re-take only CCS cases. Otherwise I have not read/heard of many people doing much other than just re-taking the exam.

I had a computer malfunction, and it was noted in some fashion that didn't make me look like a douche

although I did have to retake the MCAT as a result

I had a computer malfunction, and it was noted in some fashion that didn't make me look like a douche

although I did have to retake the MCAT as a result

That's not cool. In this case though, I lost time with the re booting of the system, I think I likely lost data as well, which makes the difference b/in passing and not. I got almost a passing score, but missed the cutoff with the new score, but almost no credit for the CCS cases, which seems very odd to me, and had some technical issues with the CCS also which seems very suspect to me. For someone who has never failed anything I'm so skeptical. I'm waiting for their response. I have never had computer malfunction issues either previously.

Reactions: 1 user
This has happened multiple times with the COMLEX in the past. In each case, the people who had the issues were given the option to retake the test for free several months later. No score was recorded for the original test.

This has happened multiple times with the COMLEX in the past. In each case, the people who had the issues were given the option to retake the test for free several months later. No score was recorded for the original test.

Yeah, I think that's an option that I would take too. That's one of the reasons I'm debating whether I should hold off on re-registering and wait until they give me a final statement on what they can do or whether I should go ahread and re-register. Any suggestions with that?

yeah..not gonna happen with the USMLEs...

What's the likelihood that maybe I just can't pass this thing ever? If that happens, the entire medical career is done and over? apparently there can only be 6 attempts per steps, and even much less total for licensing. i don't know if I can do this if I have to re take this.

What's the likelihood that maybe I just can't pass this thing ever? If that happens, the entire medical career is done and over? apparently there can only be 6 attempts per steps, and even much less total for licensing. i don't know if I can do this if I have to re take this.
The attempts per step thing varies from state and many of them have no limit on # of attempts, but almost all of them require no more than 7 years between step 1 and step 3. The FSMB had a great table that they seem to have taken down, but it is archived at https://web.archive.org/web/20160313101145/http://fsmb.org/policy/public-resources/state_specific if you want to check your specific states of interest.

My advice would be to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In other words, assume that the current score will stand, and start studying for your next attempt. If by some happy chance they do invalidate your score, you'll still need to retake anyway. The only way you wouldn't need to study is if they decided to change your fail into a pass, and let's be real here: none of us seriously expects that to happen, including you.

Regarding whether you will ever be able to pass: of course you will. That's why you're studying. As others have said, take a course or at least work your way through an online question bank so you'll be prepared. And make sure to get enough practice doing the CCS cases.

As for not using 90% of the material tested on Step 3, since when has clinical relevance ever been a criterion for whether something got tested on a board exam? Heck, 90% of what you learned in four years of med school is probably stuff you'll never use again....

Reactions: 2 users
Use a question bank, don't study from source material. Do a couple of thousand questions. You'll pass easily.