Ophthalmology Interview Trail 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same question. The only address I can find is on their letterhead:
Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
419 W. Redwood Street, #470
Baltimore, MD 21201

Hey klposy333,

Unrelated to your MD post (quoted here just so you would get a notification), I tried to PM you re: Bascom switch, but I was unable to (I think it has to do with your privacy settings). If you want to chat about it feel free to PM me. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have Kresge on 11/20 and would like to switch to 11/19. Any takers??

Members don't see this ad :)
This was incredibly last minute and I'm really sorry I had to do it but due to scheduling issues I canceled my interview at LSU Ochsner this Monday, Nov 10. If anybody was on the wait list for that day I would call and see if you can get a spot. SO so so sorry again to whoever gets this late invite.

I love it when the BCC on interview invitation emails is forgotten :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

For those of you who interviewed at UMD this week, my advice is to STAY AWAY!

There are several faculty members there who are extremenly malignant, but come across as being very nice on the interview day.

The program overall is in shambles. They have a new chairman there, Dr. Jeng who seems great, but it will take many years before that program is worht going to. It is a shame as there are many resources available to the department including the trauma center and the VA, however, your time there is wasted becuase of the faculty members.

I have very intimiate knowledge of the program. The residents there are good people and they put on a happy face, but they hate it there. And the number one reason is because the majority of faculty members don't care about teaching residents and just want them to do your scut work. On top of that, there are enough that are extremely malignant to make the three years you spend there hell.

Overall, you can do much better. You need to go to a place with stability and faculty that want the residents to succeed. You will not get that at UMD, so move on.

Sorry to those that already went there and wasted a trip.

Hey guys,

There are several faculty members there who are extremenly malignant, but come across as being very nice on the interview day.

The program overall is in shambles. They have a new chairman there, Dr. Jeng who seems great, but it will take many years before that program is worht going to. It is a shame as there are many resources available to the department including the trauma center and the VA, however, your time there is wasted becuase of the faculty members.

I have very intimiate knowledge of the program. The residents there are good people and they put on a happy face, but they hate it there. And the number one reason is because the majority of faculty members don't care about teaching residents and just want them to do your scut work. On top of that, there are enough that are extremely malignant to make the three years you spend there hell.

Overall, you can do much better. You need to go to a place with stability and faculty that want the residents to succeed. You will not get that at UMD, so move on.

Either this is totally true, partially true, or false. Reading this on a computer screen far away from Maryland, I wonder if there are any reliable ways to test the validity of what this first-time poster has to say. I'm not interviewing at UMD, but I suppose I am curious.

Either this is totally true, partially true, or false. Reading this on a computer screen far away from Maryland, I wonder if there are any reliable ways to test the validity of what this first-time poster has to say. I'm not interviewing at UMD, but I suppose I am curious.

It's totally true. I'm a first time poster. Haven't done much on these threads prior, but I feel obligated to share my knowledge of the program.

If that is true about maryland, which I highly doubt as I was just there, then they did such a coordinated job to hide the problems involving all of their residents, techs and attendings.
It was a great experience and Dr. Jeng was a great hire!

obviously someone who REALLY wants to match at maryland and is trying to scare everyone off!

Hey guys,

Hey everyone,

I am a student who did an away rotation at Maryland this application cycle, applied for, and interviewed at their program this week. These statements posted above are completely ridiculous and false.

My experience on the rotation was fantastic. Dr. Jeng is not only a great physician, but an excellent teacher who spends time beyond what is typically seen for a chair in teaching residents. After every grand rounds, he spent an additional 30 min doing "chair rounds", going through specific cases with residents and addressing any difficulties they may have.

None of the faculty I worked with there seemed malignant, or even mean in the slightest! They all were very receptive to my questions and there was no scutting out I saw to the residents. The clinics ran smoothly in their beautiful Redwood facility, and the residents had a ton of autonomy in working up patients. After each clinic day, most of the attendings would sit down with the team (which I think is standard in most places) and go over the census for the day, addressing any issues or particularly difficult cases. For Dr. Jeng's clinic, he would take us all into his office after clinic, go through each patient, and tease out disease pathology and treatment regimens.

ALL of the residents seemed extremely happy with their choice at Maryland. Their feedback is taken very seriously and into consideration when planning the layout of the program. Logistical issues were generally addressed at chair rounds and appropriate changes were made.

Overall, after a month there, I thought it was a fantastic experience. The variety they see with the Shock Trauma Unit, VA, and several satellite clinics including now GBMC make it a program with great growth potential. Dr. Jeng's leadership combined with dedicated faculty will take this program to bigger and better things.

I don't know why this poster decided to pick on Maryland, and it really struck a nerve since I made some good connections there, so I felt I had to comment. Please PM me or better email the residents if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a medical student I completely agree that you may have had a good experience.

The residents there are good people and put on a happy face when it comes to describing their experience there.

What you don't know is that your schedule is made specifically to avoid working with the malignant attending. Notice how you only worked with specific people (those that will leave a good impression on medical students, and a lot with residents) and not all of the faculty members.

Dr. Jeng is a great guy with big ambitions but he inherited a program that was a complete mess. Ask any of the current residents about what happened there over the past 5 years.

To be honest, the reason I wanted to post was because they get people who could have good to much bigger and better places. If you are interested in doing cornea, Dr. Jeng will help you get a fellowship. If you are not, there is no one else in the department who will be able to help you - additionally, most are unwilling anyway.

For those of you interviewing at good programs, rank them higher. It will only help you. Maybe UMD will be better in the future, but not now.

As a medical student I completely agree that you may have had a good experience.

The residents there are good people and put on a happy face when it comes to describing their experience there.

What you don't know is that your schedule is made specifically to avoid working with the malignant attending. Notice how you only worked with specific people (those that will leave a good impression on medical students, and a lot with residents) and not all of the faculty members.

Dr. Jeng is a great guy with big ambitions but he inherited a program that was a complete mess. Ask any of the current residents about what happened there over the past 5 years.

To be honest, the reason I wanted to post was because they get people who could have good to much bigger and better places. If you are interested in doing cornea, Dr. Jeng will help you get a fellowship. If you are not, there is no one else in the department who will be able to help you - additionally, most are unwilling anyway.

For those of you interviewing at good programs, rank them higher. It will only help you. Maybe UMD will be better in the future, but not now.

In general I think...Most programs have some weird politics that are hard to appreciate or see as a med student unless you really pay attention. Residents and faculty are trying to be professional and don't want to air a program's dirty laundry. I think this is common and as long as there are no glaring red flags you are usually fine...

I do think in terms of ranking it's important to work off of feeling and fit, but program ranking and reputation across the country can be really helpful for fellowship match. In addition if you want to do high profile academics a top program is a solid move.

I'm not one to follow a schedule, I did my own thing on the rotation and went into different clinics as I pleased, never had a bad experience in any one of them. There was no hint of any conspiracy, as that's what you're making it sound like.

Hey guys,

Again, as others have posted, this is a flat out lie. I know all of the faculty at Maryland and this program is on the up and up. Dr. Jeng is an amazing addition to the faculty. Dr. Saeedi is another faculty member there and he is absolutely amazing as well. I personally believe that these two faculty members are going to put Maryland in the rankings for ophtho. They also just hired a slew of new faculty some Hopkins trained etc. all with a focus on teaching and all very very nice.
A few years ago I may have agreed with this post, Maryland's program WAS in shambles and things were a mess. However, now the program is unrecognizable. My only guess as to the author of this post would be someone who wasn't offered an interview at Maryland or was offered an interview and realized how amazing the program has become.
I would hardly ever go out of my way to defend any program-- but this one I will. Dr. Jeng has revolutionized this program in a single year.

Dr. Jeng is great I agree.

Many of the same faculty members there are the same ones who were there when the program was in shambles. Why do you think it went into shambles in the first place?

The resources are completely underutilized. The VA is a mess (currently they are not doing surgery there because half of the anesthesia team quit, so no elective ie cataracts for the forseable future), Shock Trauma experience is clearing people to go to surgery by other specialties (no orbit trained faculty members) to take advantage of it.

One person cannot change a department's reputation in one year. Across the country, UMD does not have a very good name. Applying for fellowship is all about reputation and who knows who. You are not going to get good interviews (other than in Cornea).

If you guys are really curious, e-mail the residents. You may even want to ask for contact information of people that just graduated. They will give you their true opinion. Most residents are scared to say bad things.

For those of you who are ignore this advice, you have only yourself to blame.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that is interviewing at Eastern Virginia want to switch their 12/13/ date for my 12/12? Let me know. Thanks.

I am currently interviewing at the university of Wisconsin on 11/21 and would really like 12/5... Anybody willing to switch ?? I can pay flight change fees if needed

had to cancel my Kresge interview on Nov 19th (AM). Hope you guys get a spot.

Hey y'all, does anyone know the itinerary for Pitt? I haven't been sent it yet and I need to make flight plans. Thanks

Hi everyone,

Hoping that I can find a switch for two programs:

Georgetown: I have 12/5 and would like 12/10.
Emory: I have 12/6 and would like 12/7.

Thank you so much!

Would anyone who has Tulane this Thursday be willing to switch and take my Friday morning interview? I will pay change in travel cost! Pleaseee

Would anyone who has Tulane this Thursday be willing to switch and take my Friday morning interview? I will pay change in travel cost! Pleaseee
I just cancelled my Tulane Thursday interview, see if that spot is open now!

Hey all anyone with Brown on 12/11 willing to switch for my 12/9AM session? I'll have to reschedule step2 if not! Eeks! Willing to compenate switch cost. Thanks!

Someone canceled case western just now and it was offered to me. I couldn't make it. It's for Nov 21. GL and hope someone can take advantage of it.

Can anyone comment as to why Drexel is on probation?

Can anyone comment as to why Drexel is on probation?

A lot of time probation is usually surrounding surgical numbers or staffing AKA following ACGME rules. Just some guesses. They should be forthcoming on your interview day if you choose to attend.

Hey Guys! I was just recently made aware of the recent bogus posting about University of Maryland. As the chief resident I can assure you that it is a totally untrue representation of our department and is upsetting to me and my co-residents. Any of us would be happy to speak personally with any interested party. Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like the contact info of other current residents or former residents. Thanks!