Ophthalmology Interview Trail 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long shot here, but does anyone want to swap:

1) UW: I have 12/4, I want 12/5
2) USC: I have 12/5, I want 12/4

Obviously I'd need to make both trades to make this work, but if anyone can do even one of them please PM me. Hoping to do this because I have another so-cal interview on the 3rd, and right now I'll be flying in, flying out, flying back in, and then flying out. (@_@)

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have UVA on 12/15 and desperately need to switch to the 12/17 date. Can anybody help a brother out?

Fingers crossed for lots of invitations this week... and also for many others' cancellations !:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Swap for Henry Ford:

I currently have 12/1, am looking for 11/3 or 11/17.

Thanks

Looking to switch my CPMC interview on Nomveber 24th for a December 8th date if possible! Please let me know! Thanks.

Deleted!

I really wish programs would have more interview dates xD

Last edited:
Trying to swap dates for :

University of Oklahoma : have December 8, would like November 24 or December 15
UT Memphis : have November 21, would like December 8

Personal message me if interested !

Anyone want to switch UC Irvine November 11 for my December 3rd? Please PM me if you are interested!

If anyone has a Texas Tech or San Antonio date on 11/14, and would like to switch one of those interviews for something in December, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I've posted this already, and there are a few folks on here looking for the same, but if anyone with DMEI on either 11/24 or 12/15 would like to switch to 12/8 it would be incredibly helpful!

I would also be interested if anyone with Tennessee on 11/21 would like to switch to 12/8.

Thanks!

Edit: Anyone out there have Univ. of Virginia on 11/17 and willing to switch for my 11/15 date? Or if you're gonna drop their interview, let me know before you do please!!

Last edited:
Anyone out there have Univ. of Virginia on 12/17 and willing to switch for my 12/15 date? Or if you're gonna drop their interview, let me know before you do please!!
Check your dates.

Anyone with University of Florida Gainesville interview want to swap? Have: November 17, Want: December 1.
And anyone with Case Western want to swap? Have: November 7, REALLY want: November 8 !
Message me!

Hoping for a swap on Beaumont dates. I have Dec 6th and want Nov 15th.

I would reimburse pretty much any expenses that result. I need interviews and would hate to turn one down simply due to conflicting dates. Please message me with any offers!

I have Harvard on Nov 21 and want Nov 24 or Dec 1. I am willing to pay for any flight changes or any extra cost. I'm willing to just pay to switch too!

Does anyone with UC Davis and UCSD want to do a double switch? my 11/21 for davis and 12/5 for ucsd to 12/5 for davis and 12/12 for ucsd?

Does anyone know the times of the VCU interviews on 11/7 or 11/8? And is there a dinner as well? Thanks!

Has anyone been having issues with replying to an invitation within 5-7 mintuies and still getting your third or worse choice? Is it really that crazy?

Haha, I'm assuming this is about Vandy. I replied to them in 10 min and my first (and only) choice was already full. Had to go on the waitlist.

So yeah, I guess it really is that crazy :(

I think things are getting worse now that we're late in the season and people are getting the hang of replying super-fast. Also, I think people are starting to compete more for the same days cuz all our calendars are filling up. Oh well... win some lose some :) Hope you at least make it out to Vandy. I think I might not be able to at all...

Reactions: 1 user
Posted in swap thread, but thought I would try here too.

Anyone willing to switch Baylor 11/10 to 11/17 - can pay for flight changes
Duke 11/21 to 12/12 (not sure if this date has been opened up yet)

Thanks.

Also listed in swap thread:

I have Wash U 12/1. Can anyone switch with me who has 11/11 or 11/19? I will pay for flights/inconvenience. Thank you!!

Hi Guys! I have NYEEI on 12/6 AM. I can switch it for any other date (11/24 or 12/5 either AM or PM, either works). Please let me know if you can do this! Would be so grateful. Thank you! :)

Hey all! So I was wondering if anyone was in the predicament of having a Duke interview on 11/21 but also wanted to try and go to Cornell's interview the next day? Is anyone up for an overnight carpool? Cornell still hasn't confirmed the 11/22 interview so this is all preliminary :)

driving all night to make another interview the next morning? holy crap, that's hardcore. here i was trying to decide whether i should drop an east coast interview because i'd have to hustle over from the west coast late the night before. you have given me fresh resolve, sir!

How important are pre-interview dinners? I physically cant make it to some without canceling other interviews. Is it a red flag for lack of interest?

driving all night to make another interview the next morning? holy crap, that's hardcore. here i was trying to decide whether i should drop an east coast interview because i'd have to hustle over from the west coast late the night before. you have given me fresh resolve, sir!

Haha glad I could help. Honestly I just would hate to drop the Cornell interview since it's been one of my better invites thus far. And I figured if one or two more people were in the same boat we could easily make the drive and split sleep time :). Oh, and YOLO.

As for the pre-interview dinners, I would say they are pretty important since the residents do have some say in who they work with for the next few years...

I totally get that... I'm shuttling up and down the west coast in December b/c stupid scheduling has made it so that I'm bouncing between So-Cal and Seattle on three consecutive days. But they're all some of the better invites for me, and plus I really want to go west, so: YOLO ;)

Re: pre-interview dinners -- I've heard mixed info on this. Some say they're super important as in red flag if you don't. Others say people won't red flag you, esp if it's like November and everyone's dashing from interview to interview, but that you'll miss out on understanding the program better. Bottom line is: if you're really interested, you should go.

TBH though, I myself am struggling with that. I've got an interview out east the day before my #1 choice out west... and the earliest I could possibly, physically make it would be right as dinner starts. So now I have to decide whether to show up slightly late and slightly disheveled, or cancel the other interview altogether to make sure I get to dinner on time. Fffuuuu...!

I totally get that... I'm shuttling up and down the west coast in December b/c stupid scheduling has made it so that I'm bouncing between So-Cal and Seattle on three consecutive days. But they're all some of the better invites for me, and plus I really want to go west, so: YOLO ;)

Re: pre-interview dinners -- I've heard mixed info on this. Some say they're super important as in red flag if you don't. Others say people won't red flag you, esp if it's like November and everyone's dashing from interview to interview, but that you'll miss out on understanding the program better. Bottom line is: if you're really interested, you should go.

TBH though, I myself am struggling with that. I've got an interview out east the day before my #1 choice out west... and the earliest I could possibly, physically make it would be right as dinner starts. So now I have to decide whether to show up slightly late and slightly disheveled, or cancel the other interview altogether to make sure I get to dinner on time. Fffuuuu...!

I'm really not sure these dinners or events make any difference. Just my take on it. They rank you on the interview not the dinner interview. So, I wouldn't stress out too much. Plus in most programs residents have some say to report glaring red flags funky behavior during day. The most important resident say is on the adcom and it's usually the chief residents and they typically interview you.

If you make an ass out of yourself at the dinner/cocktail hour then that's bad. But I'm not sure much else makes a difference.

I cancelled my NYEEI 11/24 interview today. I know at least three people here want to switch to that date. Just a heads up if y'all want to email the coordinator!

Last edited:
I'm really not sure these dinners or events make any difference. Just my take on it. They rank you on the interview not the dinner interview. So, I wouldn't stress out too much. Plus in most programs residents have some say to report glaring red flags funky behavior during day. The most important resident say is on the adcom and it's usually the chief residents and they typically interview you.

If you make an ass out of yourself at the dinner/cocktail hour then that's bad. But I'm not sure much else makes a difference.

That makes me feel better :) The one thing is the interview invite letter specifically said that dinner is "highly encouraged" or something like that... that's why I'm really paranoid about not going or showing up late. Esp since this is a top tier program with a perfect location and ... agghhh I want in so badly!

And seriously, thanks for your thoughts. You give great advice :) It helps a lot to hear from someone who's been there.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve posted each of these requests in the switch thread, but I’ve got a few incentives I wanted to add to the deal. I currently have both Iowa and Bascom scheduled for 12/12, and I’m desperate to switch one of them. I’d like to switch Iowa to 12/5 or Bascom to either 12/10 or 12/11. If someone was able to make one of these switches here’s what I could offer:

—I could give up/switch one of more of the following dates:
Vanderbilt - 11/19 PM
Kresge - 11/19
University of Minn - 11/21
USC - 12/3
Strom/MUSC - 12/4
Boston University - 12/4
University of Tenn - 12/8
(Obviously, I need to switch/cancel some of these. I’ve been waiting on a few wait list requests before moving forward.)

—I’ll pay whatever fees are incurred

—If you happen to be interviewing at Casey Eye I could host you at my place and/or take you out to dinner/drinks and/or serve as your airport shuttle and/or serve as your shuttle to and from the interview (I live in Portland).

—Free piggyback rides for life

Anyway, I’m losing hope that a switch is possible but who knows. If it seems like this might work for you (or someone you know is looking to make a switch) PM me. Thanks and good luck!

Hey group! Looking for someone willing to switch Cornell dates. I have 11/21PM and was looking for 11/22. Willing to cover change fees/etc. Thanks!

Anyone want to swap:

NY E&E - have 12/6, want 11/24

This is a double post from the other thread, but if anyone wants to switch Tulane, I have 11/20 and would like to have 11/21.

Additionally, I have UNC 12/12 and would like 12/13.

Thanks!

This may be a popular request but anyone with Cornell 11/22 want to switch for my 11/21?

Hey everyone, is anyone interviewing at U Maryland on Nov 5 AM? I'm reviewing the night before the interview and cant seem to find where and when to report. Thanks!

Same question. The only address I can find is on their letterhead:
Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
419 W. Redwood Street, #470
Baltimore, MD 21201

Same question. The only address I can find is on their letterhead:
Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
419 W. Redwood Street, #470
Baltimore, MD 21201

It's in the "faculty professional building" at that address. Go to the fourth floor. Good luck.