online vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zpinkpanther

Still searching...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, and not because I'm considering doing something like this...

I have a friend of a friend who is currently getting her "veterinary degree" by taking online courses. I think she has a few courses left to go until she finishes up. Now, I don't know her very well (met her a couple times), so I don't really know the specifics of what she's doing, but I got the impression that she's trying to become a vet (not just doing her pre-req's for vet school) online. I thought this sounded kinda fishy, so I was wondering if any of you have heard something about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if she doesn't mean "veterinary technology" degree. You can take a number of classes online for such things, but I can't imagine someone could 'finish up' their DVM online considering the last two years are more clinical.

I would also assume she meant vet tech. I do not see any way that it would be possible to develop the skills to become a veterinarian online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I sure hope so. Otherwise, the joke is definitely on us. Now that I think of it, several of the techs at the SA clinic I worked at completed their certification online after being hired.

That's what I thought as well; veterinary medicine is definitely too complicated to be taught online. She is working as a tech at a cat hospital right now, but I'm pretty sure she was insisting to me that she was getting a veterinary degree, not a veterinary technology degree. Maybe she's confused? It all seemed pretty strange to me.

I'm pretty sure any place offering an online DVM would be a scam and certainly wouldn't allow you to practice vet med in the US

However there are some schools (from a quick google search) that advertise "veterinary degrees" and mean vet tech certification

I would guess it is vet tech too ... I have actually met several people who told me they planned to go to vet school, and when asked what college they wanted to go to, they gave the name of a school that only offered vet tech degrees, not DVM. People seem to blend the two together...

Come on guys, seriously...

I hope your friend isn't REALLY under the impression that she's getting a DVM online.

I hope your friend isn't REALLY under the impression that she's getting a DVM online.

Yeah, me too! I tried to convince her that that wouldn't be possible, but she didn't seem to want to believe me. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Oh, that poor girl...thinking she's gonna be a vet. She's gonna be in for one BIG surprise when she tries to get a job and tells them she's a "vet".

Hello,

I will be travelling to Kuwait within the next 2 months on work. Currently, I am not a student, but I do wish to study simultaneously through my work period in Kuwait. I am very interested in Veterinary Physiotherapy and I have been given to understand that I would need to specialize in Human Physiotherapy first.

I doubt though that Kuwait has educational institutions in relation to the above, but the internet shows Dubai as one of the places in the Middle East where such a study is possible.

Does anyone know if online study is available in this field? Who could I speak with in Kuwait / Dubai that could advise me on how to go about this study? I have absolutely no idea on costs, specializations, etc. and need to talk to someone who can give me good brief on what I should do.

Thank you!

thank you, cory. i was lol'ing (surprise, i do that all the time)

funny story...
a good friend of mine here said that he told his friends back home that he was going to vet school. their response?

"oh, that's the two year online program, right?"

:smuggrin:

Hello,

I will be travelling to Kuwait within the next 2 months on work. Currently, I am not a student, but I do wish to study simultaneously through my work period in Kuwait. I am very interested in Veterinary Physiotherapy and I have been given to understand that I would need to specialize in Human Physiotherapy first.

I doubt though that Kuwait has educational institutions in relation to the above, but the internet shows Dubai as one of the places in the Middle East where such a study is possible.

Does anyone know if online study is available in this field? Who could I speak with in Kuwait / Dubai that could advise me on how to go about this study? I have absolutely no idea on costs, specializations, etc. and need to talk to someone who can give me good brief on what I should do.

Thank you!

You might want to try the Foreign Veterinary Graduates thread in the Veterinary forum. One of the people there may have better ideas about opportunities abroad.

somehow i managed to botch this quote, i blame lack of sleep, and it seems like too much effort right now to try to amend.

[quote\]funny story...
a good friend of mine here said that he told his friends back home that he was going to vet school. their response?

"oh, that's the two year online program, right?"

:smuggrin:[/quote]

oh my goodness...that's funny but at the same time horrible. i think if any of my friends did that i would just get like this dumbfounded look upon my face and then go into a rant about how they're all idiots and vet school is really competitive and a 4 year program, plus normally internships etc. once you're done.

...well, probably wouldn't actually call them idiots...just silently think that

You might want to try the Foreign Veterinary Graduates thread in the Veterinary forum. One of the people there may have better ideas about opportunities abroad.
Thanks a lot; I'll do that! Cheers!

remove the \

somehow i managed to botch this quote, i blame lack of sleep, and it seems like too much effort right now to try to amend.

:p

Hello,

Thank you!

You should definately either check out that thread mentioned by pressmom or even just start a new thread. I am sure several members have heard something that could help you out!

Yeah I posted my query on the thread pressmom advised, lets see what comes up. In the meanwhile, I have also sent out queries to Veterinary Physio Institutes in the UK, but they only cater to UK, Irish and certain other residents and have no links with the Middle East. I am presently visiting in the UK, but my work base being Kuwait, I was hoping to find something closer. Would be very difficult to fly out to the UK every weekend for practical courses, etc. Something should turn up... thanks for your assistance!