Online semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpta1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program does'nt start until this Fall, but I was just wondering how many people have their first semester online (programs that start in may-june?). And have any schools announced that they will also be doing their Fall semester online? Just curious what other programs have decided?

Members don't see this ad.

Touro University in Las Vegas starts in July. They sent out a letter a few weeks ago stating they intend in-person summer orientation and classes to remain in place. They mentioned they have contingency online plan just in case.

Right now campus is closed and spring classes have been online, but looks like they are pretty optimistic for things to open up in a couple months. I have my fingers crossed...

I'm writing an article about how PT schools are handling everything. Most are either closing for the summer or will be. It seems that no one really wants to talk about the fall yet. No one wants to be the first to close or the first to open, but they're all making plans for both. I believe it's more and more likely, however, that most schools will not open in the fall, and if they do, things will still not be "normal."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm writing an article about how PT schools are handling everything. Most are either closing for the summer or will be. It seems that no one really wants to talk about the fall yet. No one wants to be the first to close or the first to open, but they're all making plans for both. I believe it's more and more likely, however, that most schools will not open in the fall, and if they do, things will still not be "normal."
Mayo is saying so far that they'll be in-person and that they don't anticipate that changing, but I agree: I think it's likely that many will end up being online.

I start in May at Thomas Jefferson and our orientation has already been moved to online as well as our classes. For fall they have plans in place to be hybrid if need be, but with this current situation it’s very hard to plan months in advance. They are doing their best to keep us informed but they really can’t predict how it will be in the fall until we get closer.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with cadaver labs? Are schools talking about this?

Some schools already
Does anyone know what is going to happen with cadaver labs? Are schools talking about this?
Some schools already do this virtually, so I assume more schools are going to jump on board with that. Other schools may try to start with other courses and save the cadavers for slightly later in the curriculum. And others will probably try sending the instructor into the lab and film them doing dissections for students to watch online.

Some schools already

Some schools already do this virtually, so I assume more schools are going to jump on board with that. Other schools may try to start with other courses and save the cadavers for slightly later in the curriculum. And others will probably try sending the instructor into the lab and film them doing dissections for students to watch online.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Are there studies on outcomes with different methods that you're aware of? That is, do students who learn through different methods than firsthand dissection tend to learn the body just as well?

My program has purchased multiple applications and we will be doing virtual dissection and when we return to campus (hopefully in the fall) they are incorporating cadaver lab into our other courses with labs so that we still get that experience

Reactions: 1 user