Online MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisGriffen

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The average starting salary for a physician with an MBA is considerably higher than one without an MBA. ($292,500 vs ~$170,000)

Looking at this from a strictly financial perspective, getting an MBA looks like a guaranteed return on investment.

The big question that I have, is this:
is it the letters, or is it the education that commands the higher salary?

I can feasibly get the MBA letters from a bottom level online college during medical school. I have the time, and I can get the money. Looking at this as purely an investment (I have little interest in healthcare management right now), is it worth doing?

AKA-- does any salary increase come with a University of Phoenix online MBA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average starting salary for a physician with an MBA is considerably higher than one without an MBA. ($292,500 vs ~$170,000)

Looking at this from a strictly financial perspective, getting an MBA looks like a guaranteed return on investment.

The big question that I have, is this:
is it the letters, or is it the education that commands the higher salary?

I can feasibly get the MBA letters from a bottom level online college during medical school. I have the time, and I can get the money. Looking at this as purely an investment (I have little interest in healthcare management right now), is it worth doing?

AKA-- does any salary increase come with a University of Phoenix online MBA?

An Online MBA will probably do nothing for you.

I think the numbers work with a full-time MBA and it’s definitely the knowledge that helps you. Why else would you get a higher salary, employers are looking for people who can bring something extra.

Where did you get those numbers from? My assumption is that the salary is higher for those with MBAs because physicians with MBAs pursue jobs that are easier to get with MBAs (consulting, venture capital, Wall Street). Keep in mind that the stability is horrible in those jobs and that they are VERY difficult to get. They are so difficult that getting an online MBA will do nothing in getting you those jobs. Only those with MBAs from top schools get those jobs that come with higher salaries.

Online MBA could not be possible as it involves theoretical as well as practical teaching. You can do theoretical teaching through distant learning how you need human instructions to do practical training.