One year to partnership in Roanoke, Va

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toddlasher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(See Gaswork add for Roanoke, Virginia, SDN not letting me post the link.)

Been with the group now for 7 years and very satisfied with the job. Excellent compensation, fairness and flexibility. Great place for new grads!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Been with the group now for 7 years and very satisfied with the job. Excellent compensation, fairness and flexibility. Great place for new grads especially cards fellows!

What happens when you make partner?

I know some people there, solid group. Partners (1 year track) have the option to take a lot of vacation, and still make a lot for the region. Mostly solo.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been eyeing this ad for a while as I am considering moving back to east coast with my wife. It seems like a good group but what is it like to live in Roanoke?

I love Roanoke. About 300k metro area. Small but easy airport. Great restaurant and brewery scene. Tons of festivals, live music. Smith mt lake, Appalachian trail, blue ridge parkway. Amazing mountain biking, hiking, fishing, golf.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a beautiful place.

One of my kids almost decided to go to the college there. When we visited my wife and I actually talked about moving to that area when the Navy lets me go. If you're still around in 2022 I may drop you a line. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I spent close to a decade less than an hour away, and did several of my med student rotations at that hospital. My wife would really like for us to go back there, if you guys ever find the need for a CCM-trained guy, and RMH has need for more critical care coverage (with extra experience dealing with cardiac ICU/advanced heart failure).

Been with the group now for 7 years and very satisfied with the job. Excellent compensation, fairness and flexibility. Great place for new grads especially cards fellows!
I’ve been contemplating replying to this for some time. I’ve been practicing in Virginia for more than five years now. I very much like the state but I’m not at all a fan of the AMC that bought my company months after I signed on. I am definitely bothered by the fact that my salary is stagnant but what upsets me the most is that I feel like an inconsequential cog in the enormous corporation’s works. I want to feel like I’m part of something again.
Your previous Gaswork ad was also looking for generalists for 2019, which is what I am. Maybe you could let me know if there is any need in this arena in the near future. Thanks

Yes, for the short term we are caught up with recruiting pretty well, except for peds fellowships. We are a big group now so we will never be more than a year from needing to hire again (someone will always be retiring, going half time, moving to Maui, etc.)

Bump. Any thoughts on 2020 cycle for new grads?

Bump. Any thoughts on 2020 cycle for new grads?
We are actively recruiting again. Generalists as well as peds/cardiac.

After a decade here, I remain very happy both with my practice and Roanoke.

I do want to clarify that we do have relatively modest “buy in” during the year towards partnership, but this is returned upon leaving the group. We remain focused on fairness and equity.

This is a good group @everyone.
Did some ICU rotations there as a med stud 15 years ago. Nice hospital, chill location, i think one of the former ASA presidents are there. Not a huge city, but I like that. My buddy is in Administration there and loves it. Lake house, good comp... etc.

I cannot speak highly enough of this group. They are the reason I am an anesthesiologist. (I switched from another specialty) If I was not geographically limited by other responsibilities I would be beating down the door to get in here...

I cannot speak highly enough of this group. They are the reason I am an anesthesiologist. (I switched from another specialty) If I was not geographically limited by other responsibilities I would be beating down the door to get in here...
Thanks!! Look us up if your situation changes.
The ad is usually up on GasWork any time we are recruiting.

Thanks!! Look us up if your situation changes.
The ad is usually up on GasWork any time we are recruiting.
We are actively recruiting again in Roanoke. Generalist, peds, and Cardiac.

Thanks!
Todd Lasher
Email is:
Toddlasher at hotmail

(Or check out the gaswork ad)

Last edited:
Update from Roanoke:

Still very happy with my practice and life in the Blue Ridge! …but we could use a couple more partners.

We have a new THREE YEAR contract with our hospital which not only provides for an even better income, it also demonstrates the commitment that Carilion administration has to our excellent group. They see what’s happening out there at other hospitals.

Due to the competitive job market, we have eliminated the financial “buy in period” (money partners get back when they leave) and have added a $30k sign on bonus. Immediate financial parity and partnership in one year are additional perks.

Ad is on gaswork, good luck to those searching, the world is your oyster right now!

Todd

Reactions: 9 users