One year CCM fellowship AFTER one year HPM fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547631

I've heard about this through the grapevine but is this really possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I might be wrong because I'm only a med student, but I have heard it's pretty standard for CCM to be one year after doing IM + any IM fellowship. I think this includes hospice and palliative medicine too.

But if you do IM, then directly to CCM-only, I'm pretty sure it's two years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Never seen this. I would give ABIM a call to confirm. It's a minimum of 1 year of critical care medicine fellowship after any 2 or 3 year IM subspecialty fellowship. Not sure if hospice/palliative care qualifies. You can't do 1 year of sleep medicine and be board eligible for critical care medicine after a 1 year critical care fellowship.

Regardless of that, I think you probably want 2 years to be well trained. I know that many critical care medicine programs require nephrology/ID grads to do 2 years for procedure numbers - mainly intubations, bronchs, chest tubes. I would think they would do the same for a hospice doc.

As an aside - I wouldn't want my critical care physician to be a hospice physician. In many ways opposites.

Never seen this. I would give ABIM a call to confirm. It's a minimum of 1 year of critical care medicine fellowship after any 2 or 3 year IM subspecialty fellowship. Not sure if hospice/palliative care qualifies. You can't do 1 year of sleep medicine and be board eligible for critical care medicine after a 1 year critical care fellowship.

Regardless of that, I think you probably want 2 years to be well trained. I know that many critical care medicine programs require nephrology/ID grads to do 2 years for procedure numbers - mainly intubations, bronchs, chest tubes. I would think they would do the same for a hospice doc.

As an aside - I wouldn't want my critical care physician to be a hospice physician. In many ways opposites.

Update:
Hospice & palliative medicine is a 1 year fellowship. After completion of an internal medicine residency and hospice fellowship, you will need 2 years of fellowship training to be board eligible for critical care medicine.

Update:
Hospice & palliative medicine is a 1 year fellowship. After completion of an internal medicine residency and hospice fellowship, you will need 2 years of fellowship training to be board eligible for critical care medicine.

Thank you for getting the definitive answer!

To be honest I think many groups might be hesitant anyway to hire after only year of CCM after pall care.

You can see the obvious benefit to having a PHM trained person but might be wary if they had enough time in training.