OMFS vs PRS/ENT (Duty Hours)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lagbydesign

"The only way to heal is with cold steel"
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
These specialties are often compared for their similar scope of practice. One thing that I really haven't seen is a discussion on the effects that duty hours has on training to be a surgeon of the head and neck. Does the presence (or lack thereof) of duty hours make a difference in competency at any point? I know that I will get biased answers, depending on which field one belongs to, but it's very interesting, nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you trying to ask exactly? Both OMFS and ENT have "duty hours".

I might be totally missing it here (and if I am, someone please tell me) but I'm not sure what you are getting at here

Oh, you guys have the 80 hour work week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Never work an hour over the 80; at least that's what we report weekly.

Oh okay. I guess I'm remembering from the threads I used to read before duty hours came about. But I will ask you, do you think that it makes a real difference for the field of OMFS? Like is there a general consensus among your attendings that trainees become better surgeons under the new system or under the old one?

Depending on the program, OMS may or may not have duty hour restrictions. OMS is accredited by CODA and thus does not strictly fall within ACGME restrictions. Hospitals and programs may have their own additional restrictions, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on the program, OMS may or may not have duty hour restrictions. OMS is accredited by CODA and thus does not strictly fall within ACGME restrictions. Hospitals and programs may have their own additional restrictions, though.

Interesting. For some reason I thought all OMFS programs were under GME regulations, but I guess it varies from program to program.

Interesting. For some reason I thought all OMFS programs were under GME regulations, but I guess it varies from program to program.
Accreditation for oral surgery programs and every other dental specialty for that matter falls under the jurisdiction of CODA so OS residencies don't answer to ACGME for their policies or procedures. Yes most OS residencies receive funding from GME but are not accredited by the medical education system.

Reactions: 1 users
nothing good ever comes out of talking about duty hours

Reactions: 6 users
I work 72 hours every week, and will continue to do so no matter how much I work. ;)

Reactions: 4 users