Army OMFS training locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armdent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me regarding the Army OMFS residency.

I was accepted for 2015 OMFS training and was trying to find some info regarding the locations and how the training might differ.

The 7 locations listed on the specialty application I received in August 2103 for OMFS include: Bragg, Gordon, Tripler, Lewis, Walter Reed, Bliss, and JBSA Sam Houston.

AAOMS does not lists OMFS training user Sam Houston, it is under Lackland AFB with 5 resident spots. When I count up the resident spots at each location (not including Lackland) I come up with 11 spots [2-Bragg, 1-Gordon, 1-HI, 2-Lewis, 4-Walter Reed, 1- Bliss.] The number of residents selected for 2015 was 11.

1. I am confused about Ft Sam as an Army OMFS training location, I know some of these are joint bases, so are the residents mixed? (i.e. Walter Reed 4 spots: Maybe 2 Army, 1 AF, and 1 Navy)

2. When searching the hospital names, some give very detailed program overviews while others I can't seem to find anything. I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on how the locations differ? So far I found Ft Gordon does and trauma rotation in Puerto Rico and Walter Reed does a trauma rotation in Charleston SC. I could not find much if anything about the other sites.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give us a couple details on applying for omfs through the army? Did you apply your senior year of dents school or did you do an AEGD or GPR first? Any idea how many applied?

I am a current DMD senior. All Army HPSP students have to apply for the 1 yr AGED. The application for the AEGD was about a month ahead of the traditional specialty training applications so I found out I was accepted to the 1 year AEGD about 3 weeks before OMFS. I really didn't think I would get OMFS as I had heard seniority plays a big factor so I immediately accepted the AEGD when I was offered it and expected to reapply next year for OMFS, however, I was offered OMFS as well and I of course accepted. That being said, I will be doing both. I may not have done the AEGD if I would have expected to get an OMFS solely for the reason that it could benefit someone else more who was not offered a specialty/AEGD spot.

No idea on how many applied for the Army, at least 11.

The requirements for applying are similar to civilian: Letters of recommendation, personal statement, NBME score, and interview.

I consulted with my schools OMFS program director and he said I was competitive for private programs. Im not sure how much weight the NBME carries. I did above the average, 5 people in my class including myself got into OMFS. The other 4 were match/pass. We were all in the top 1/3 of the class, above average NBME scores, and did externships. Several more applied and did not match, but either did not take the NBME or did below the average. So may carry some weight in the private sector.

Hope thats helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me regarding the Army OMFS residency.

I was accepted for 2015 OMFS training and was trying to find some info regarding the locations and how the training might differ.

The 7 locations listed on the specialty application I received in August 2103 for OMFS include: Bragg, Gordon, Tripler, Lewis, Walter Reed, Bliss, and JBSA Sam Houston.

AAOMS does not lists OMFS training user Sam Houston, it is under Lackland AFB with 5 resident spots. When I count up the resident spots at each location (not including Lackland) I come up with 11 spots [2-Bragg, 1-Gordon, 1-HI, 2-Lewis, 4-Walter Reed, 1- Bliss.] The number of residents selected for 2015 was 11.

1. I am confused about Ft Sam as an Army OMFS training location, I know some of these are joint bases, so are the residents mixed? (i.e. Walter Reed 4 spots: Maybe 2 Army, 1 AF, and 1 Navy)

2. When searching the hospital names, some give very detailed program overviews while others I can't seem to find anything. I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on how the locations differ? So far I found Ft Gordon does and trauma rotation in Puerto Rico and Walter Reed does a trauma rotation in Charleston SC. I could not find much if anything about the other sites.

Thank you.

At Lackland/sammc there are 3 AF residents and 2 army resident per year for a total of five residents per year. The staff at JBSA is half army and half AF. The staff there currently in my opinion is very good. Jbsa is the only army/af training location that is a level 1 trauma center, there might be another but I'm pretty sure there isn't. Jbsa has lots of in house trauma and we also do a rotation at Houston for 3 months in the fourth year.

Last edited:
At Lackland/sammc there are 3 AF residents and 2 army resident per year for a total of five residents per year. The staff at JBSA is half army and half AF. The staff there currently in my opinion is very good. Jbsa is the only army/af training location that is a level 1 trauma center, there might be another but I'm pretty sure there isn't. Jbsa has lots of in house trauma and we also do a rotation at Houston for 3 months in the fourth year.

Thank you for the response

Thank you.

Walter Reed/Bethesda is also mixed with Navy and Army. some of the residency spots are for Navy. All OMFS locations have you do trauma rotations, some have to send you to another hospital for that experience. The locations and programs continually change based upon whom the staff are. The staff and their personalities will impact how things run/enviroment of the program. Thus a program can suck one year, and after someone leaves it can get better...just like in a civilian program.

not sure how you can do an AEGD, then do OMS the next year, considering the AEGD finishes on Aug 1 and OMS starts July 1. you wouldn't be able to finish the AEGD.

army OMS residents no longer go to puerto rico for trauma.

I would love to hear more about what active duty OS think of each of the Army's residencies. Are they are fairly similar or do you see some as stronger, different focuses?

The residencies vary....they vary among the services and they also vary within the service based on location and the staff present.

You will have a hard time finding a "best" answer on this question...as it changes..

It is like trying to answer..."what is the best dental school?"

On average do you think they're comparable to the training someone receives in civilian residencies?