OMFS Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MUSCCDM2019

Throwin'Knots
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With many dental school curriculums being pass/fail; how do OMFS residencies take into consideration class rank from students who attend a standard grade scale curriculum?

I have a decent class rank but if I went to a pass/fail dental school it wouldn't matter and I don't see how I could be compared on a GPA basis to someone who is in the pass/fail curriculum.

Have the CBSE, LORs, externships, personal skills and extracurricular activities become the standard for which applicants are ranked for acceptance into OMFS residencies?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding a Pass/Fail school won't hurt you, but it won't help you vs being ranked top 5 in a different class. That being said according to some of my attending there are programs that won't even consider an applicant that doesn't have a class rank attached to his application.

But my understanding is High class rank > Pass/Fail school.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding a Pass/Fail school won't hurt you, but it won't help you vs being ranked top 5 in a different class. That being said according to some of my attending there are programs that won't even consider an applicant that doesn't have a class rank attached to his application.

But my understanding is High class rank > Pass/Fail school.
Really? Even if they have a really good CBSE score?

I feel like if you don't have a class rank, they just place more emphasis on the CBSE. For example, they might expect people coming from school without a class ranking (Penn, UCLA, Columbia, Harvard etc) to have higher CBSE scores than those coming from state schools with class rankings.

At the end of the day, CBSE trumps all. Being 1/100 in your class with a CBSE of 35 <<< 40/100 with a 85 (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

Really? Even if they have a really good CBSE score?

I feel like if you don't have a class rank, they just place more emphasis on the CBSE. For example, they might expect people coming from school without a class ranking (Penn, UCLA, Columbia, Harvard etc) to have higher CBSE scores than those coming from state schools with class rankings.
I don't think it trumps CBSE, it's an adjunct, if it's there it helps you if it'snot you have to bolster other things.

I believe CBSE is far more important. Its the only objective way to compare people, all that BS class rank garbage varies too much school to school and year by year. Having no class rank just means CBSE is pretty much all you got other than LORs and externship experiences, which are valued and weighed differently program to program.

Most 4 year programs prefer a higher class rank as long as you hit the minimum cbse. Most 6 years weigh CBSE more heavily. I was able to ask Dr. Strauss at VCU and he told me he prefers a higher class rank as long as the minimum cbse score is hit.

TBH, asking residents is a waste of time. Most don't have a say. You should ask program directors what they look for, do your best on your externships and do your best at your school and graduate on time. The best indicators for these would be class rank and cbse score. They are both about equal. After that, its whether you are not an cocky ***hole for no reason. Though I know some programs that like that kind of personality.

Most 4 year programs prefer a higher class rank as long as you hit the minimum cbse. Most 6 years weigh CBSE more heavily. I was able to ask Dr. Strauss at VCU and he told me he prefers a higher class rank as long as the minimum cbse score is hit.

TBH, asking residents is a waste of time. Most don't have a say. You should ask program directors what they look for, do your best on your externships and do your best at your school and graduate on time. The best indicators for these would be class rank and cbse score. They are both about equal. After that, its whether you are not an cocky ***hole for no reason. Though I know some programs that like that kind of personality.

Did you extern at VCU?