Corporate omfs straight out of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Der Woude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has worked for a corporation straight out residency and is willing to share their experience, contract #s, location. I wanted to start my own place right out while working corporate.

Also, were there any issues with board certification after if one was to not take trauma call/be affiliated with a trauma center of any kind and just be involved with a community hospital?

I'd appreciate the insight.

-A really tired OMFS resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your second question: I'm having troubles understanding it

My understanding is you can become board certified just by completing an accredited residency program. But I’m not there yet, so I’d appreciate practicing surgeons answer the question definitively.

Members don't see this ad :)
To qualify for the oral boards exam, you just need an active hospital privilege. Doesnt mean you have to do hospital cases. Doesnt matter where you work.

I did both. I worked as faculty and then corporate to get the salary up to snuff. Can you do the corporate route right out? Sure, but if you are tired now, wait until the corporation has you driving to 4-5 different offices a week, maybe eve two differnt offices in a day, possibly hauling all your equipment and drugs with you. You might even be required to hire and pay your own DA's. But if you can find a more practical corporate entity with only 2-3 offices, or maybe even one office, then maybe.......Beware, you will be on your own, no one to bounce ideas off, most new grads don't want that. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work for you, change.

I did both. I worked as faculty and then corporate to get the salary up to snuff. Can you do the corporate route right out? Sure, but if you are tired now, wait until the corporation has you driving to 4-5 different offices a week, maybe eve two differnt offices in a day, possibly hauling all your equipment and drugs with you. You might even be required to hire and pay your own DA's. But if you can find a more practical corporate entity with only 2-3 offices, or maybe even one office, then maybe.......Beware, you will be on your own, no one to bounce ideas off, most new grads don't want that. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work for you, change.

I'm surprised to hear (some) corporate makes you hire your own DAs

Reactions: 1 user

Appreciate your advice!