OMFS Residency Basic Credentials Confusing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RighteousPathMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a bottom bracket pre-med senior who has recently become interested in OMFS as a possible application after my training. Hypostasize the following:

My confusion begins with the reality that I will not be a competitive US med applicant next few cycles due to a recent hit in GPA. Consider a LOW undergraduate GPA (2.8, but much higher with retakes) and my strong shot at a few reputable dentistry schools nearby. Lets also consider all other statistics competitive down the road; 90+ Step 1 and top 5% standing:thumbup:. Will the undergraduate GPA be a factor against my admission to OMFS/MD programs down the road? If so, how strong?

Again thanks in advance for the clarity, and I appreciate all posts overlooking any naive optimism as well as the fickle raison d'etre for entering dental school in the first place...this was purely a hypothetical. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

do a search but most 6 yrs have a minimum undergrad gpa (as per med school requirements, usually ~3.5).

if you are trying to go into dental to circumvent the system and get a MD, i would argue that you will have a very difficult time doing well in dental school (reducing your chances of getting into omfs). dental school is not any "easier" than med school, some would argue harder...

but if you are generally interested in dentistry and excel in dental school (high class rank, gpa, boards, externships, etc...) you would have a chance to match at 6 yr programs. i think it is a lot easier to excel at something if you are interested in it, if you hate dentsitry it will be hard to do well... but some have done it.

its not unheard of to have a low undergrad gpa and match at a 6 yr program, just be prepared to explain yourself away at interviews for the low gpa.

good luck!

I would like to know where these "reputable" dental schools are that you think you have a "strong" chance getting into. I was on the admissions committee for my dental school and having a 2.5 gpa was NOT enough to get in. The average entering gpa for my class was 3.5 and that was 3 yrs ago. Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you are a competitive dental applicant. I would research your options again.

It sound like you want a MD, not to be an oral surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest that you should start med/dental school first and then start to worry about the field of specialization. There are always alternate routes to get into even the most challenging programs. However, you'll need to dedicate more time and energy.

Haha, initially I was about to write a pissed off post (thought I covered my bases above) but I can see that you guys mean well here and are trying to give legitimate advice as to the reality of the dental profession. I'm sure you guys get this a lot and I assure you I am not going into dentistry on a "whim" or as a backdrop to MD, but to attain OMFS residency in another healthcare field (dentistry) that has interested me for years now. This is just due diligence. If I didnt make that clear in my post I apologize. I also have interests in other residencies such as prostho, but thats not being discussed here. And it seems that the UG gpa isn't nearly as big an issue for these other residencies either.

Simple question still remains; IS there a strong factor for UG gpa when applying to a competitive residency within dentistry ie OMFS?

From what I can gather, given the statistics I stated above as a Dental Student, there is a good chance of getting into 6 year programs but I will have lost my competitive edge. Therefore it's a soft factor, but not definitive. Interviews will be the pivot point here. Also it seems there are other alternate routes to get into challenging residencies.

This brings up some more questions then as well. Is the minimum gpa for 6 year programs a strict cutoff in that they would not even consider my application? Are these 6 year residencies only MD-granting programs? Is this the more rigorous alternative to the 4 year residencies? I also though there were traditional OMFS residency programs that would also be possible, but without MD.

Last edited:
Simple question still remains; IS there a strong factor for UG gpa when applying to a competitive residency within dentistry ie OMFS?
The simple question is, can you make it into dental school with a GPA equivalent to your male organ. Then we will talk OMFS.

How am I going to get a 9.0 GPA?
I wouldn't say things like that when such a big deal is made of how we as dentists are talking about everything in terms of millimeters.:smuggrin:

I wouldn't say things like that when such a big deal is made of how we as dentists are talking about everything in terms of millimeters.:smuggrin:

Lol.

To the OP: Undergraduate GPA matters at some (maybe more than half) 6-year programs. The other half dont care and base it entirely on your accomplishments in dental school. A sub 3.0 GPA will hurt you at many major programs though, to the point that it is not recoverable. Usually this is bc the med school has minimum requirements for the OMFS program's applicants.

Thanks to those who gave productive replies, it cleared up a lot. Keep em coming.

Lol.

To the OP: Undergraduate GPA matters at some (maybe more than half) 6-year programs. The other half dont care and base it entirely on your accomplishments in dental school. A sub 3.0 GPA will hurt you at many major programs though, to the point that it is not recoverable. Usually this is bc the med school has minimum requirements for the OMFS program's applicants.

I can only speak from my interview experience (since match isn't until the 25th and I'm just as likely as anyone to get owned), but I applied to almost every major program, and there were very few my low undergrad GPA (As far as I can tell, I suppose those programs might not have liked my PS, LORs or most likely, my 2x2 photo) held me back from interviewing at.

Last edited:
I can only speak from my interview experience (since match isn't until the 25th and I'm just as likely as anyone to get owned), but I applied to almost every major program, and there were very few my low undergrad GPA (As far as I can tell, I suppose those programs might not have liked my PS, LORs or most likely, my 2x2 photo) held me back from interviewing at.

Heh, I believe you, but I'm betting your GPA wasn't quite low enough.

I've heard of 3.1 hurting at some programs (confirmed by the PDs), but < 3.0 is really the GPAs I'm talking about.

From my personal experience, I asked three PDs and they told me that the med school and my undergrad GPA was the reason I didn't get an invite.

I think it's about 50/50 (in terms of the major programs that care or not) as the rest of my credentials I believe were fairly strong and I got about half of the ones I was aiming for.

You are better off going to one of the Carribean med schools. Seriously, it will be a much quicker and less painful path to getting your MD. Plus the Carribeans rock! Honestly, I'm not even sure dental schools will give you a chance with that horrendous GPA.