OMFS Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rongeurzz

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting and I wanted to ask for some advice. I am about to finish my second year of GPR of a very surgery heavy program and now that the program is ending I am realizing that I want to pursue OMFS. I thought I would be happy as a GP doing a mix of procedures based on my dental school experience and even during my first year of residency, but after spending over half of my 2 years of GPR working with my oral surgery attendings in the hospital and doing so many procedures, I realized that I love it more than anything else and would regret it if I didn't atleast try.

I understand that if I applied next year I wouldn't have the traditional path of a typical oral surgery applicant and would be further out from dental school than most. I have heard these factors may not be viewed as the best by many programs. Other than crushing the CBSE, are there any other steps I should take to maximize my application? Can I still do externships even though I'm not a student? I don't think an internship this year will be in the cards as it's so late. For context, I was in the top 20% of my class with research and some leadership, would have great rec letters, and have a parent who is an OMFS with a practice I could take over, which is another motivation at this point in life.

If anyone has any advice, even to tell me it's a bad idea, I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Internship is the way to go. I'm pretty sure there are still positions open for this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not underestimate the sheer volume of studying that will be required for a decent score on the exam. The exam alone has stopped many, if not most, applicants from eventually applying.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not underestimate the sheer volume of studying that will be required for a decent score on the exam. The exam alone has stopped many, if not most, applicants from eventually applying.
Definitely plan on dedicating several months to this.

If it were me I’d do the following
1) study hard and do well on the exam
2) apply to get into an internship. I’d start contacting programs now. Try to get into as busy as a program as possible.
3) I’d simultaneously apply for dental anesthesia residency. I’d be checking for open/unmatched positions. If I got into an omfs internship I’d take that over anesthesia residency.
Doing an anesthesia residency however, will raise eyebrows (in a good way) for any potential omfs applicant. And of course the training will be highly useful in your future omfs career.

Doing a year of private practice general dentistry would be the last resort.

Good luck young man