Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oudoc08 said:
I encourage everyone to plan on attending most classes for the first semester, mainly in order to figure out your learning style. After that, it's what works best for you. I'd say for our class, it's around 50% lecture-goers, 50% homeschoolers on average. Admittedly it does take a fair amount of self-discipline to homeschool, and many of the people who attend lectures will freely admit that they do so in order to prevent falling behind. Others just like having another perspective on the material.

Most of our class (2009) still attends lecture, but, we are still in our first semester. I also feel that we should attend class the first semester until we find we our groove. Also, our notegroups tend to suck so far. I have noticed MANY things that are covered in class, but do not show up in notegroups. There were a lot of questions in the last test block that had stuff that was only covered in lecture. Some of these same things were not touched on in notegroups. Thank god I went to class and caught some of these things. For any MSIs, i.e. the NADH Q reductase question. Maybe notegroups will just get better later on, but for now, I don't trust them to learn material.

Members don't see this ad.

speedo542 said:
Most of our class (2009) still attends lecture, but, we are still in our first semester. I also feel that we should attend class the first semester until we find we our groove. Also, our notegroups tend to suck so far. I have noticed MANY things that are covered in class, but do not show up in notegroups. There were a lot of questions in the last test block that had stuff that was only covered in lecture. Some of these same things were not touched on in notegroups. Thank god I went to class and caught some of these things. For any MSIs, i.e. the NADH Q reductase question. Maybe notegroups will just get better later on, but for now, I don't trust them to learn material.

im not exactly sure what noegroups are, but if it involves someone going to class, taking notes and then passing them on, i dont think i would ever trust that. i will definitely go first semester (have to get in first), but as long as i have a goood syllabus, i think i can hang with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notegroups:

You pay $175 for membership for two years. You get access to recorded mp3s of all the lectures as well as electronic and hard-copies of formatted notes that your classmates take. If you are part of notegroups you will either be just a regular note taker, a stuffer, or a taper. I guess you can also run for notegroup chair (an elected class position). That person is responsible for coordinating the schedule, doing QA, and collecting fines for late/missing/poor quality notes.

If you're a stuffer, you don't ever have to take notes, but for one week every 8 weeks or so, you are responsible for distributing the hard-copies to everyone's mailboxes.

If you're a taper, for one week every 8 weeks you are responsible for recording the lectures on your laptop from a special station in the lecture hall. Speedo can tell you about that; I think she's the taper for our mod.

If you're just a regular note-taker, your name will come up on the schedule 2-3 times per semester. You get assigned an hour of class time that you will be responsible for (pray it isn't anatomy!). Technically you're supposed to listen to the mp3 again while you proofread/rewrite your notes, but as Speedo mentioned I'm not sure that has happened consistently for us. You have two days to post them - one day during pre-test block weeks. I think that's about it...

Oh, and there is always a market for people that don't want to write notegroups but still be a part of it. In fact if you write high-quality notes and don't mind the extra work, you can make a lot of money for yourself. :) I didn't write my first set, and I'm not sure if I will write the next, but it's something I'll sort out later.

Anyway... that's notegroups. They can be invaluable, but the old adage still applies: Garbage in, garbage out.

:sleep:
speedo542 said:

Your elected notegroup chair person needs to get some complaints and then start kicking some butt in the way of emails to those people putting out crappy notegroups, or maybe even fines if they're exceptionally bad.

A good notegroup in my opinion should be succint, not repeat the syllabus material verbatim, not be excessively short or (in our classes case) excessively long (we've actually had a notegroup or two approaching 10 pages). It should mainly cover the parts of the lecture which 1. summarize the syllabus, 2. emhasize testable points as pointed out by the lecturer 3. Things which specifically aren't in the syllabus. As a general rule, a good notegroup should usually be able to be written in 2-3 pages.

As the year wears on,, I think you'll find that the vast majority of test questions come from the syllabus. Those that violate this general rule can sometimes be successfully argued by the exam review committee (or personal email to the course director if they prefer that form of test question contest). Remember lecture attendance is widely recognized as optional, and thus most lecturers USUALLY don't write test questions from lecture points not incldued in syllabus, or if they do, they usually emphasize it heavily for the notegroup writer.

I've come to rely on notegroups less and less over the last year.

My study strategy goes something like this:
1. Cover the days material once on the day of lecture.
2. When the hardcopy notegroup comes out a few days later, BRIEFLY read over it ONCE along with the corresponding material. Then put the notegroups away never to be seen again.
3. The week before test block, study each subject in reverse order of the test schedule alloting two days per subject.
Example: Our next test block has MMI on Mon. Pharm on Wed. and IHI on Fri. So the week before I'll study IHI Tues and Wed., Pharm Thurs and Fri., and MMI on Sat.and Sun.
That way MMI stuff is fresh for the test, and I have Mon. night and Tues to review Pharm which I just looked at a few days before, etc.
Overall, my main rule is too keep each subject separate. That means no putting pharm away early on Fri before test block to look at MMI. This keeps each subject from clashing with the others and becoming a big mess of confusion.
I developed this strategy around the first/second block exams last year, and so far it's worked extremely well.
This strategy means I see each piece of information four times.
I've talked to other people who say they're too busy to barely look over the material twice, so apparently this works well.

Anyways, don't get too upset about notegroups. Some people are just fairly inept at writing them, some people have such horrible spelling and grammar that it's like reading a foreign language, and some people's writings are so awesome, you swear they should quit med school and become the next John Grisham.

We lost our original notegroup chair. Supposed to be getting a new one (or 2) depending on who wins the new election. I don't think the notegroups are horrible by any means (at least they're better than my personal ones... :( ), but I find that I don't even use the ones for anatomy and embyro.

At our last class meeting there was some talk about finding people who did quality notegroups and hiring them as our writers (reallocating funds for paper copies that people don't use). I think all mine are sitting in a pile of dust at home, since I tend to get the ones online that come out earlier. Also, I rely on my laptop to do everything for me besides cooking and personal hygiene. :cool:

i just wanted to thank you guys (med students) for such informative posts. it really helps get a feel for the school and i appreciate it.

I knew OU was a longshot going into the big game this weekend, but it still sucks to lose.

Oh well... the only bad thing is that now I feel too bummed to study effectively. :(

After these last two three-day weekends the coming three weeks prior to test block 2 are going to suck! *sigh*

The tone I'm picking up is that being part of notegroups is not a requirement, is that the case?

It's completely voluntary.

However, most people join. I don't know what the final count actually was, but by the end of orientation 152 of our class of 160 had signed up.

Mr. Freeze said:
The tone I'm picking up is that being part of notegroups is not a requirement, is that the case?

Everyone in our class signed up. After a year of reading notegroups, my take on it is, it's nice as an additional resource, but not 100% necessary. However, for the price, it's completely worth it to know if a particular point was emphasized, a test question was hinted to, or a completely wacko chart included in the syllabus doesn't need to be memorized.

I am confused about the formula you said. ((3.75 (x) GPA)+MCAT)/2? 11.5 or so is the first round of interviews and you said that was about a 3.6 and 30 MCAT. That would be 21.75...which is obv a lot different. Did i misunderstand the formula? I have a 4.0 GPA and 26 MCAT (i took it three times and got a 26 everytime. how annoying) and i was wondering my chances of getting in. i am an oklahoma resident but went to Mizzou for undergrad. REALLY hoping to get in because i think it is my best bet. what are your thoughts.

PS..thanks for alll the info med students....i had never heard about the notegroups thing!!

kaykay73 said:
I am confused about the formula you said. ((3.75 (x) GPA)+MCAT)/2? 11.5 or so is the first round of interviews and you said that was about a 3.6 and 30 MCAT. That would be 21.75...which is obv a lot different. Did i misunderstand the formula? I have a 4.0 GPA and 26 MCAT (i took it three times and got a 26 everytime. how annoying) and i was wondering my chances of getting in. i am an oklahoma resident but went to Mizzou for undergrad. REALLY hoping to get in because i think it is my best bet. what are your thoughts.

PS..thanks for alll the info med students....i had never heard about the notegroups thing!!

in your formula, MCAT is the average per section (max of 15) and not the composite score (max of 45), so your score yould be (15+8.67)/2=11.83. i have been told by some this is the formula they use, but i have been told by others that it is not. who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
The formula is just a measuring stick to use when they're weeding through the second round applications and making the interview schedules. I know this is hard advice to follow, but I wouldn't worry much about it. The applicant pool is the applicant pool, and it won't matter what formula they use to "rank" applicants. Your application is still going to fall somewhere between best and worst with no relative difference.

The underlying principle is this: the admissions office is simply basing their initial interview cut on two things, GPA and MCAT.

Honestly, though, I don't think we can even say that with conviction because the people actually involved in the process probably aren't allowed to talk about it. :p

I can understand how a post like this doesn't offer much peace of mind to you at this point. I was in your position the last two years, and I would rank applying for medical school up there with some of the most stressful times in my life... until it came down to figuring out loans, worrying about class, worrying about test block... and eventually worrying about residency.

I'll go now before I type any more irritating platitudes. ;)

Good luck! You guys should start hearing about interviews just before Thanksgiving! :)

I don't even remember if the formula ever really panned out last year. I think we had folks who interviewed at paradoxical times compared to their stats. February would be the suckiest time to interview, considering the wait for the interview letter and the bigger pool of people to fight for a spot, plus the possibility of waitlist which would've probably driven me insane.

Another big thing to remember is to keep all three interviewers on your side (if at all possible) and to work to keep the "bad cop" from ruining your interview. I heard by way of a 4th year that the interviewers are given the options of "Thumbs Up", "Neutral", or "Thumbs Down." Neutral and Up will get your app passed onto the bigger committee to be voted on. One Down automatically knocks your app out of the running. Make sure to answer your interviewers with a 'positive' response, but not BS them. Also, I can't stress enough to check out the interview feedback section of SDN. My first interview I was really jittery and very unprepared, but after checking the old interview questions, preparing good ideas for quick responses, and thinking of insightful questions to ask of the interviewers helped me nail the 2nd interview.

Anyway, hope the interview letters start streaming in for you guys! :D

~OU CoM 2009~

Napoleon1801 said:
Also, I can't stress enough to check out the interview feedback section of SDN. My first interview I was really jittery and very unprepared, but after checking the old interview questions, preparing good ideas for quick responses, and thinking of insightful questions to ask of the interviewers helped me nail the 2nd interview.

Anyway, hope the interview letters start streaming in for you guys! :D

~OU CoM 2009~

where is this elusive interview feedback section? i cant seem to find it anywhere. thanks.

Amxcvbcv said:
Anyone know why signatures aren't working? :confused:

thanks.

i think they set it up where your sig only appears the first time you post in a thread. in each subsequent post it is not there. makes it easier to read i guess.

Does anybody know how long it has been since you could drive down (or more accurately, up) SL Young and get to Stonewall from the west?

I spent a lot of time at HSC as a kid, full-time daycare was too $$$. So I got a lot of the "sit here, have some colored pencils and an A&P book, don't break anything..."

But it has been SOME time since I've gone driving down there (commodore 64 was the only game in town then...), aside from the ambulance entrance to the ER or Children's...

Just something I noticed during "See HSC Day!"

I just want to clarify something mentioned about OSU-COM in a previous post. Attendance is required for labs and the 2nd year PBL class. Outside of that, you don't have to go. Some classes (histology first semester the a prime example) give extra-credit incentives for coming to class.

I'd also like to chime in & say that Oklahoma residents have 2 good options for medical school. Check into both & see which one is a better fit for you...you really can't go wrong as far as quality of education goes.

What are some good questions to ask the schools during interviews? I feel like since the internet offers so much information that there isn't any basic questions to ask about the cirriculum, etc thatarent on the internet. Any good insightful questions?

kaykay73 said:
What are some good questions to ask the schools during interviews? I feel like since the internet offers so much information that there isn't any basic questions to ask about the cirriculum, etc thatarent on the internet. Any good insightful questions?

Ask them about the many different ways they support different learning styles (Hippocrates, lectures, online mp3's, notegroups, homeschooling, etc.)

After your interview has been mostly completed and they've gotten to know you, ask them what their impression is of what field of medicine you'll go into. Or, having gotten to know you, why OU would be a better choice than school X?
It seems a little cocky, but it's not. You'll be spending 4 year of your life somewhere, and you damn well want to be happy. Make them sell YOU the school as well.

They'll be glad to, and they're pretty good at it. I think it makes for a much more interesting and engaging interview when you both seem like you have something to gain, rather than the interviewee having some, suck-up, I'll say anything you want to hear, demeanor. That gets really old.

think it would be a faux paus to ask when they are goung to update the mod rooms?

glp said:
think it would be a faux paus to ask when they are goung to update the mod rooms?

Actually no, it would be a good one considering they are going to update the mods this coming year, even creating a new one to accomodate for the larger class size. It also depends on who you have in your interview. I think I probably had 2 community docs in mine and 1 faculty. All mine were older guys and I asked them at the end what they thought of medical records going digital and how secure they felt about it. The conversation kept going for awhile and we wound up talking about a variety of things as it lead on.

To me, at the end of the interview was when I was most comfortable because we could just talk as people rather them just shooting questions at me. I think people at the end of my interview session tended to say they thought theirs went better if it lasted for a longer period and the physicians decided to be chatty. But yeah, the engaging people out there will definitely have a better time of it. :thumbup:

Napoleon1801 said:
To me, at the end of the interview was when I was most comfortable because we could just talk as people rather them just shooting questions at me. I think people at the end of my interview session tended to say they thought theirs went better if it lasted for a longer period and the physicians decided to be chatty. But yeah, the engaging people out there will definitely have a better time of it. :thumbup:

That was how mine went. I actually enjoyed it.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm applying as a non-resident, but I'm a native Oklahoman (graduated from Stillwater High School), so I'm hoping my app won't be totally disregarded. I've still got to draft that letter about my strong ties, though. I'm wondering how long it should be -- the sad thing is that the stronger your ties are, probably the less you really have to talk about. I lived in Oklahoma from when I was one until I left for college. My parents and brother live there. My brother got his MD from OU. Nuff said. :)

I'm putting my secondary to the bottom of my stack because I got the impression they don't really do anything until Nov. 1. Is that right?

Also, for current students, what do you know about the students who aren't instate? Do they have a psycho-great profile?

I just got recruited to SDN - wish I'd known about it sooner (get it? sooner? haha)

I applied as an out-of-state student, and I had never even been to the state of Oklahoma before my interview. My only ties were through my wife and her side of the family. I interviewed on the first day of interviews (other than the MD/PhD day), and I got in. So I wouldn't be worried at all about getting an interview. You have way better connections than I do.

You may have already gotten all of this answered - if not hope this helps you out somehow.

- shout out to mod 232! -

Antigunner said:
I just got recruited to SDN - wish I'd known about it sooner (get it? sooner? haha)

I applied as an out-of-state student, and I had never even been to the state of Oklahoma before my interview. My only ties were through my wife and her side of the family. I interviewed on the first day of interviews (other than the MD/PhD day), and I got in. So I wouldn't be worried at all about getting an interview. You have way better connections than I do.

You may have already gotten all of this answered - if not hope this helps you out somehow.

cool, thanks for the post. it's good to hear that out of state students have a chance and aren't necessarily stuck at the bottom of the interview pile.

Antigunner said:

East side of the hall?!? Your kind aren't welcome here. :p

~215~ West Side Ligers :smuggrin:

Napoleon1801 said:
East side of the hall?!? Your kind aren't welcome here. :p

~215~ West Side Ligers :smuggrin:

Tell that to Ifesiam, Amxcvbcv, Speedo542, ad_sharp, oudoc08... oh wait... everybody but you! :laugh:

j/k... We're all winners... yay for us.

Hi everyone...I decided to finally post for the first time after being a vicarious SDNer for some time now.

I have just finished applying to OU despite my terrible mcat scores. I am so totally bummed...sigh. Luckily, I have a high gpa to redeem myself somewhat. I am just worried that OU won't grant me an interview. Do they have a cutoff mcat score of 8 for the interview?

I calculated my number based on that formula and came out with an 11, which is not bad. But....if they have that cutoff than I won't even be considered...sigh again. Does anyone know the policies and cutoffs for the mcat to recieve an interview?

pinklet said:
Hi everyone...I decided to finally post for the first time after being a vicarious SDNer for some time now.

I have just finished applying to OU despite my terrible mcat scores. I am so totally bummed...sigh. Luckily, I have a high gpa to redeem myself somewhat. I am just worried that OU won't grant me an interview. Do they have a cutoff mcat score of 8 for the interview?

I calculated my number based on that formula and came out with an 11, which is not bad. But....if they have that cutoff than I won't even be considered...sigh again. Does anyone know the policies and cutoffs for the mcat to recieve an interview?

i dont think there is necessarily an mcat cutoff, beyond the 7 minimum to apply. from what i have been told, they just rank the applicants and interview from the top until the interview spots are gone. so if you have a high gpa, then that might be enough get an interview, however, it is much more difficult to get in if you interview in the last interview slots. that is what i have been told at least.

from what ive been told the early interviewees are where most of the class comes from, so the longer the wait to be interviewed the less likely youll get in.

Antigunner said:
Tell that to Ifesiam, Amxcvbcv, Speedo542, ad_sharp, oudoc08... oh wait... everybody but you! :laugh:

j/k... We're all winners... yay for us.

Doh! :scared:

pinklet said:

The absolute cutoff is 7 for the mcat, but there was some "talk" by Dr. Nancy Hall about raising it up to 8. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet. It really depends on how many people apply. If there are more people than they have interview slots, then I think they have to make a higher cutoff. But I did hear about some folks who had low mcats and still get an interview. The grades will probably give you a boost too.

Thanks for the reply....I think I'm just going to count on not recieving an interview this year (desperately trying not to rule out a chance, but still wanting to be realistic). Now, the problem is trying to plan what I should do with all this time I have left. Any advice is appreciated...here is the list of things I am planning on accomplish to improve my app:

1. Phlebotomy...16 week classes that can be condensed into 4 weeks. Do you think its worth it? I am willing to do it if it will truly strengthen my app. Otherwise, I could always use the extra time for mcat studying and hospital volunteering.

2. Medical Mission Trip...do you have ideas on where I should start? I've researched online and I am having a hard time weaving out the programs that aren't so credible. Does anyone know which ones I can trust?

3. Volunteer of course...I am thinking about more hosital related volunteering and possibly doing the nyne crisis line at OU (always wanted to do this!)

4. Finish my two degrees. This will be done by fall 06, leaving me with the spring semester clear...do I need to continue taking classes? Med schools will want me to update my info and they will want to see me still taking classes, right?

5. Oh yeah, one more question...to be considered a reapplicant do you just need to submit the amcas to whichever respective school or do you need to complete your secondaries as well? I applied to 8 schools on my amcas, but didn't follow up on all those. I want to be considered as a reapplicant...do I have to fork over those secondary fees?

Technically, I will be applying again in 6 months, which leaves me with not very much time to improve my app since I want to focus mainly on my mcats. I will only be doing research and working on my thesis this upcoming semester and spend every other waking minute trying to conquer the mcat yet again. Thanks for the help! Sorry for the lengthy post! :)

pinklet said:
Thanks for the reply....I think I'm just going to count on not recieving an interview this year (desperately trying not to rule out a chance, but still wanting to be realistic). Now, the problem is trying to plan what I should do with all this time I have left. Any advice is appreciated...here is the list of things I am planning on accomplish to improve my app:

1. Phlebotomy...16 week classes that can be condensed into 4 weeks. Do you think its worth it? I am willing to do it if it will truly strengthen my app. Otherwise, I could always use the extra time for mcat studying and hospital volunteering.

2. Medical Mission Trip...do you have ideas on where I should start? I've researched online and I am having a hard time weaving out the programs that aren't so credible. Does anyone know which ones I can trust?

3. Volunteer of course...I am thinking about more hosital related volunteering and possibly doing the nyne crisis line at OU (always wanted to do this!)

4. Finish my two degrees. This will be done by fall 06, leaving me with the spring semester clear...do I need to continue taking classes? Med schools will want me to update my info and they will want to see me still taking classes, right?

5. Oh yeah, one more question...to be considered a reapplicant do you just need to submit the amcas to whichever respective school or do you need to complete your secondaries as well? I applied to 8 schools on my amcas, but didn't follow up on all those. I want to be considered as a reapplicant...do I have to fork over those secondary fees?

Technically, I will be applying again in 6 months, which leaves me with not very much time to improve my app since I want to focus mainly on my mcats. I will only be doing research and working on my thesis this upcoming semester and spend every other waking minute trying to conquer the mcat yet again. Thanks for the help! Sorry for the lengthy post! :)

hey, pinklet
i don't know if you should be so negative about this year's prospects. however, it's true if you don't get in this year, you'll have a strong shot next year if you up that mcat. my brother made a 24 on his first mcat attempt and got waitlisted and then rejected from ou. the next year, he upped the mcat to a 28 and got in -- it might be more competitive now, but i don't think you need a super fantastic mcat, just a solid one. anyway, he spoke with the ou people after getting rejected, and they of course told him to up the mcat. and, they strongly discouraged him from going into a masters program because they don't like applicants who don't complete degrees. since a masters program is usually two years, it would block you from applying that next year. other than that, it didn't seem like it was a big deal what he did as long as he did something.

so, my big advice for you would be to focus on that mcat for april. as for the other stuff, i don't see why becoming a phlebotomist would be that much better than doing cool volunteering work, unless you need the money. also, i don't think you'll need to continue to take classes in the spring after you graduate. in fact, i think it'd probably be a better use of your time to do international volunteering or something interesting like that. in essence, just keep on doing what you're doing and get the mcat higher. good luck!

Why do Oklahoma schools wait so long to really get going on the application process? This makes it difficult for me personally, because I could only schedule so much time in the states before I have to head back out on my next flying trip. Also, some people will already be accepted to other schools, which makes Oklahoma less attractive. Don't they realize they'll lose people just due to their timing? I wish OU interviewed as early as some of the schools I've interviewed at (late Aug-October).

MoosePilot said:
Why do Oklahoma schools wait so long to really get going on the application process? This makes it difficult for me personally, because I could only schedule so much time in the states before I have to head back out on my next flying trip. Also, some people will already be accepted to other schools, which makes Oklahoma less attractive. Don't they realize they'll lose people just due to their timing? I wish OU interviewed as early as some of the schools I've interviewed at (late Aug-October).

so agree. i think ou and osu feel like they're only really competiting with each other, which is mostly true with oklahoma residents, so they can both wait until november with no real harm. also, most oklahoma residents take the august mcat (probably largely because oklahoma schools are so slow to review things), so it might make the life for the admissions department easier if they wait until the october scores are in.

i'm running out of vacation (and money :( ), so schools that wait are necessarily moving to the bottom of my list.

exlawgrrl said:
so agree. i think ou and osu feel like they're only really competiting with each other, which is mostly true with oklahoma residents, so they can both wait until november with no real harm. also, most oklahoma residents take the august mcat (probably largely because oklahoma schools are so slow to review things), so it might make the life for the admissions department easier if they wait until the october scores are in.

i'm running out of vacation (and money :( ), so schools that wait are necessarily moving to the bottom of my list.

i agree it sucks to have to wait to interview at ou, but the converse of that is, once you interview you will find out your status in a couple of weeks. one of the adcoms was saying that ou tried moving interviews to earlier dates at one point, hoping that the more competitive applicants might be swayed by an early acceptance, but in the end the yields werent any better, so they decided to move them back.

exlawgrrl said:

Unfortunately, the bottom part is really why I'm complaining. I want to keep my home state schools in the mix, but it's going to be tough to swing. When the military wants something it gets it and I don't have the freedom to stretch the interview season forever.

When do both schools plan on interviewing this year? I've already got an idea, but if anyone knows a real answer, I'd welcome it.

glp said:
i agree it sucks to have to wait to interview at ou, but the converse of that is, once you interview you will find out your status in a couple of weeks. one of the adcoms was saying that ou tried moving interviews to earlier dates at one point, hoping that the more competitive applicants might be swayed by an early acceptance, but in the end the yields werent any better, so they decided to move them back.

Ah, so at least they've tried it. The worst part about it for me was that it makes the OU pre-med committee a little complacent. They send such a large percentage of their students to OK schools that they don't hurry with the letters. I was accepted to an out of state school before OU even thought to interview me.

If the stats are all like last years...I'm not getting an interview, which is okay. I have come to peace with the fact that med school is not in my future for the upcoming year. Anyhow, if anything, it has soldified my conviction to pursue medicine even more. And it gives me ample time to improve my app! Don't worry, I'm keeping my chin up :) ! Thanks for the advice exlawgrrl and good luck with all the med admissions stuff this year!

I'm still curious about the reapplication stuff...Is submitting the amcas enough or do I have to submit secondaries to be considered a reapplicant?

pinklet said:
If the stats are all like last years...I'm not getting an interview, which is okay. I have come to peace with the fact that med school is not in my future for the upcoming year. Anyhow, if anything, it has soldified my conviction to pursue medicine even more. And it gives me ample time to improve my app! Don't worry, I'm keeping my chin up :) ! Thanks for the advice exlawgrrl and good luck with all the med admissions stuff this year!

I'm still curious about the reapplication stuff...Is submitting the amcas enough or do I have to submit secondaries to be considered a reapplicant?

Speaking as one who took two tries to get into medical school, I think you've got the right attitude about it. Make sure you don't get down on yourself, and show them that you're committed to making it happen. That being said, I would echo that you shouldn't rule out your chance of making it this year. Remember that medical schools are looking for people, not MCAT scores.

Also, I think that you are considered a reapplicant even if you don't do the secondaries, but I'm not 100% on that.

yeah, i'm not sure about the reapplicant thing. i guess you could contact the school to find out. either way, i don't think being a reapplicant would be a big deal at ou as long as you improved your application.

Hi Everyone!

I need to know the truth...do you think I have a chance of recieving an interview? Honesty is appreciated...however, if worse comes to worst I will just reapply next year (DO school and the Caribbeans are great, but just not for me). Just a warning, the scores are pretty ugly...23R for the good ole mcat and a 3.82 gpa. I know, the R kinda threw me off too haha! I did improve in every section (including the essay) from my April mcat though. Is it enough for an interview??? :confused:

Praying for a chance...or a miracle... :oops:

MoosePilot said:

I don't think the Oklahoma schools are worried about "losing people" since they ALWAYS have wait lists in the summer.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't think the Oklahoma schools are worried about "losing people" since they ALWAYS have wait lists in the summer.

I was waiting for the defensive response :laugh:

Sure. You're right. Do you think they'd be just as happy if they lost enough people from their primary list that they used everyone on their waitlist, but not a single person more? They'd still have filled their class. The goal isn't just getting students, it's getting the best students they can and there's a chance that they're losing some by waiting later to really get moving on the application process.

MoosePilot said:
I was waiting for the defensive response :laugh:

Sure. You're right. Do you think they'd be just as happy if they lost enough people from their primary list that they used everyone on their waitlist, but not a single person more? They'd still have filled their class. The goal isn't just getting students, it's getting the best students they can and there's a chance that they're losing some by waiting later to really get moving on the application process.

If the individual really wanted to go there, then they would not give up and go somewhere else.

They are simply filtering out people who don't really want to go there.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

Even if you do accept somewhere else, you can always change your mind and go there anyway, so it isn't a big deal, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.