OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, well I don't know how "badass" they will be. That's why I am asking ;)
The requirements ARE crazy for someone who is a professional student *not* a warrior. The situp program that SF49ersFan posted (thanks for your reply, btw) jumps from 25 to 60 in six weeks. Give me a break, I can barely do 15! So, I wonder if anyone else can answer my question if I won't pass the PFT at the end of the ODS, will I not then graduate? How hard is the physical training for those who are not athletic beyond being able to run well? Have you guys had any classmates who were just ain't cutting it in some of the physical training requirements? If so, what happened to them? Thanks!

No offense, but maybe this is a calling for you to get in shape. If you are like me and in your 20's think of this as the PRIME of your life.

You wouldn't even have to do much if you're going to the summer session. Just run or do the ellipitical machine 2-3X per week for 5, 10, 15, and 20 minutes (as you get in better shape) and finish up with a few situps and pushups each time gradually doing a few more each time. It WILL get easier and in two or three months you will look back and wonder how you weren't able to do it before. You don't have to go "warrior" and max out at 300 lbs on the bench, just take baby steps. Again, if you're young your body will acclimate quickly provided you don't overexert yourself. (It seems like you prob don't work out much... if you do, I apologize for the assumption)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, no offense taken, but I am older than you think. 38. In fact, I believe that I *am* in shape. I'll likely outrun most of the people in my class because I've been jogging 3.5miles daily rain or shine for the last 10 or so years. It's just staying fit never included sit-ups or push-ups for me. When I tried the push ups, it seems that you're right-- I can gradually work myself up to at least the "satisfactory" level. But the sit-ups are different for me. I have really hard time getting anywhere past 15. Thus my concern.

Ok, so I am going to sound like a TOTAL loser but...
I know we have PT at COT/OBLC (haven't decided between branches), but I am a female who has bad genes when it comes to weight and I have to work out 1.5-2 hours/day to keep my weight down. Is it possible to work out on your own at these places, or do they not let you? I'm just wondering, since that would totally screw me. thanks all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so I am going to sound like a TOTAL loser but...
I know we have PT at COT/OBLC (haven't decided between branches), but I am a female who has bad genes when it comes to weight and I have to work out 1.5-2 hours/day to keep my weight down. Is it possible to work out on your own at these places, or do they not let you? I'm just wondering, since that would totally screw me. thanks all!

actually I had the same question not because of weight issues but I'm a runner and just can't get through the day without my morning run. Will they have any problems with us waking up early and going for a run before things get going

actually I had the same question not because of weight issues but I'm a runner and just can't get through the day without my morning run. Will they have any problems with us waking up early and going for a run before things get going

I am pretty sure at OBLC you will be in billeting (it's like an on-post hotel) with a first fomation time every morning that you have to get yourself to. (It's not like Basic training where the drill sergeants come into the barracks banging on trash cans and yelling at everybody--been there, done that). So I guess conceivably you get up at whatever time you want to do any amount of running you feel like doing. The worst thing you can do in the military is not be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there.

nice, i feel much better- i'm totally with you laura, i cannot function without some form of exercise in the morning!

Does anyone know when we will actually receive our orders to go to OBLC/COT/OIS? I've already applied, but I have a feeling it will be a while before I hear anything back.

Hello I am new to the forum and recently completed my MEPS physical. I'm now waiting on my security clearance and eligablilty/ letter of acceptance from the AF review boards. With that said, I have been told by my recruiter that I will be attending the June 08' COT class which I believe starts on the 30th. Is anyone else attending this class? I have gotten the answer to several of my questions from the blog, altough I have soem other pretty general questions.

1.) I need to select bases for my application/contrat to the AF. I am a CCU nurse and I am interested in furthering my education in anesthesia as a CRNA, I would also like to be part of the AF CCAT (critical care air transport team). So which bases would best benifit me with the above in mind.

2.) Were can I find more info on what I need to bring to COT?

Hello I am new to the forum and recently completed my MEPS physical. I'm now waiting on my security clearance and eligablilty/ letter of acceptance from the AF review boards. With that said, I have been told by my recruiter that I will be attending the June 08' COT class which I believe starts on the 30th. Is anyone else attending this class? I have gotten the answer to several of my questions from the blog, altough I have soem other pretty general questions.

1.) I need to select bases for my application/contrat to the AF. I am a CCU nurse and I am interested in furthering my education in anesthesia as a CRNA, I would also like to be part of the AF CCAT (critical care air transport team). So which bases would best benifit me with the above in mind.

2.) Were can I find more info on what I need to bring to COT?

You will find this website to be your one stop shopping spot for detailed info about COT. http://www.afoats.af.mil/OTS/COT-RCOT/COTDOletter.asp Read it carefully! There are links to the left of this page that will explain a lot of things. The more you read the smoother your transition will go. You should plan to drive as it will make life much more fun during your down time. Also get the packing list and take you uniforms with you! You don't want to be part of the cluster buying there and getting screwed on sizes, or having them sew something on wrong because they are doing so many. Other option is to arrive a couple days early and get all the uniform stuff done.
USUHS has a CRNA program you could apply to while on active duty.

From reading all the posts here (thank you, very helpful!) I understand to get uniforms ahead of time. What's the deal with bringing personal laptops? Allowed but cannot get personal email in the dorm room?

Is there anyone here going to COT 1 Jul- 1 Aug? Is the class usually approx 300 people? even worse, 300 people in good shape? thanks!

Can't speak to the computer thing---though my friend who just got back said the absolute best thing you could bring would be a portable printer/scanner/drive thingie. Not required but apparently will save you lots of time/effort.

BUT, I wanted to make sure everyone got the heads up on the uniforms if you are pre-buying---which is still a good idea.

ABU's are now the required uniform at COT and as you probably know they are getting very hard to come by at some bases and online. If you are going to any of the summer classes I'd get on it now....

I'm peeved because I've been drilling for months in uniform prior to attending COT (and couldn't get the ABU's 'cause there were none so I bought the tree suits instead) and once fully trained my AFSC requires the flightsuit so now I gotta go buy a whole bunch of OTHER uniforms I won't be wearing ever again....... I guess this is one of those officer "privileges" :)

Ok, personal rant over....thanks for listening....

Definitely bring a laptop, a USB drive, and a printer/scanner/copier. The reason is that your entire flight (16 people) will have access to only one computer. Further, the computers are not accessible after 9PM. On several occasions I had to use my roommate's computer to type my assignments at 9:30 or whenever I got the time.

Technically, you can't have personal through services such as Hotmail and Yahoo. Unpopular websites don't get blocked. I used mail2web.com and got by just fine with checking my school's email.

Definitely bring a laptop, a USB drive, and a printer/scanner/copier. The reason is that your entire flight (16 people) will have access to only one computer. Further, the computers are not accessible after 9PM. On several occasions I had to use my roommate's computer to type my assignments at 9:30 or whenever I got the time.

Technically, you can't have personal through services such as Hotmail and Yahoo. Unpopular websites don't get blocked. I used mail2web.com and got by just fine with checking my school's email.

I agree about bringing a laptop but for different reasons. The flight does not share 1 computer as far as I know. I went in June 06 and we had 1 computer in each room, so 1 computer per 2 students since you have a roomate. You can use it 24/7 whenever you need to. My reason for taking a laptop is that you will not want to sit in your room doing assignments! Panera in montgomery has free WiFi so you can go sit have some coffee and do your personal e-mail and assignments in a much nicer place than those little COT rooms. We had no need for a scanner so I'm not sure what Deuist used it for.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went, only some of the dorms had computers---not all of them. What's worse is that my password (along with half of my flight's) never worked the entire month. Our only available computer was the one in the flight room---hence, why I said 16 students to one computer. The copier was necessary for a few occasions when we needed to make copies of assignments and handouts. While there is a copy machine in the class building, going there is quite a walk.

For Navy do you have any free time to workout at the gym on your own? It's a good stress reliever to me, and the schedule I saw seems like the day is fairly packed.

I also read for Navy you can't eat in your room because of "pests". Does this mean cockroaches? I hate roaches... them and spiders are the two things that freak me out...:scared:

Ha,
What great comments about COT. I was at Maxwell AFB this past summer doing AFROTC Field Training and have to say, it's pretty funny watching a 100+ line of commissioned officers greeting ROTC cadets as they walk by at attention. Don't worry, I was completely jealous of you all the whole time.

Thanks for imparting your experience!

For Navy do you have any free time to workout at the gym on your own? It's a good stress reliever to me, and the schedule I saw seems like the day is fairly packed.

I also read for Navy you can't eat in your room because of "pests". Does this mean cockroaches? I hate roaches... them and spiders are the two things that freak me out...:scared:
I never saw any live cockroaches in Newport, I think there were too many geese. :D

My Chief was pretty laid back, so we had free time at the end of the day and on weekends to workout if we wanted to.

Ha,
What great comments about COT. I was at Maxwell AFB this past summer doing AFROTC Field Training and have to say, it's pretty funny watching a 100+ line of commissioned officers greeting ROTC cadets as they walk by at attention. Don't worry, I was completely jealous of you all the whole time.

Thanks for imparting your experience!

I do not recall being required to greet anyone but commissioned officers...the BOT folks and ROTC folks greeted us since we were all commissioned officers...but then again there are a lot of confused officers walking around there!

Hi everyone,

I'm a first year med student who attended COT last summer. I browse these forums occasionally and figured I would add some random tips/info from my COT experience after not seeing any on here. I know this is some stuff that I would have liked to have known before I went.

In no particular order...

-Try to purchase your uniforms before you get there & have them altered and pressed before you arrive. The first couple of days are extremely long and tiring just trying to wait in line to get your uniform, hoping that they still have your size. I envied those who already had everything. Also, start shining your boots.

-Print off and know the OI's (operating instructions) before you arrive (They should be on the COT website.) When I arrived there they starting yelling as we got off the bus. I expected that, but some people were surprised. They will yell at you to tuck in your shirt (ladies, think carefully about wearing skimpy tops). Don't wear sandals. They will want $5 and your travel orders in hand. Then they will give you a copy of your OI's and tell you to learn them. You will need to know how to report in that night, which can be humiliating if you can't think of the correct reporting statement.

-Try to do your IAAP training before you arrive.

-Get there asap on the day of arrival. I arrived later in the afternoon, along with a ton of other people so we were up really late that night waiting to get checked in. My roomie had already unpacked all her stuff and was ready for bed by the time I made it up to my room.

-The dorm rooms are very nice! They were much nicer than my college dorm room. You have your own captain's bed, night stand, chest of drawers (one drawer locks, bring a combination lock), desk, sink, and a large walk in closet. You only have to share the toilet and shower with your roomie.

-Most rooms have a computer with restricted internet access. Most people could not check private e-mail, but it is a 10 minute walk to the library for full internet access.

-Bring at least one dressy outfit to go out to dinner. My flight and I went out a few times.

-But do not pack too much because you will be returning with A LOT more luggage (especially if you don't buy your uniforms ahead of time)

-Practice running the 1.5 mile. I am not much of an athlete, but I ran 3 miles/walked 1 mile almost every day for about a month and a half before COT. I did really well in the run compared to other members of my flight (with the exception of a few really good athletes).

-You won't get much sleep. You have to get up at 4:30 am every morning for PT. What time you go to bed varies. My roomie and I often didn't get to bed until 12:30am. A rare number of people managed to get to bed by 10.

-Get started on your samples of behavior (lesson objectives) as soon as lectures start. It'll make it easier when the exam comes instead of trying to do them all the night before.

-HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! You'll enjoy it more.

-The first few days may be high stress. You'll adjust after the 2nd week.

- The July course that I took was shortened and had the most people of all the sessions. I think that you normally have your weekends off, but we didn't because our session was shortened. I had 317 people in my class. It was composed of highly intelligent MDs, DOs, medical & dental students, dentists, JAGs, chaplains, nurses, and others.

-Try to bring all $10 bills and smaller. You need smaller bills for the cafeteria. The food wasn't too bad tasting but not the healthiest. It is supercheap. You can talk and eat freely, although in the beginning they may try to limit your time to eat. The OTS and ROTC cadets had to sometimes eat with us. I felt bad for them having to eat at attention while we were pretty loud.

-You will be able to use your cell phone in the dorm and in break rooms during the day. They also have phones in the dorm that you can use a calling card with.

-Last year was the first year that they allowed you to store non-perishable food in your dorm room.

-We only had one room inspection, and that was when we were checking out.

-There is a ton of marching to do, but it's not that bad. Just get it down right away because if you keep on making mistakes you will get targeted.

-The days can be long, with classes taking the majority of the day. PT was usually at 5:15am. Then classes started at either 7 or 8 am and sometimes went until 6pm. Then you ate dinner and spent the rest of the evening studying, shining your boots, ironing, etc. One of the hardest struggles was to stay awake in class. My flight members and I had to watch out for each other to make sure we didn't fall asleep and get targeted.

-If you are a major or above, or a captain who was commissioned a while ago, prepare to be a leader right away.

- We had a ton of fun at the formal event at the end of our training (I'm having a brain fart right now on what they called it....something like a military ball). However, some people exceeded their alcohol limits and embarrassed themselves by having to be carried, puking, to their dorm rooms.

-Overall COT was a really good experience and I was sad to say goodbye to some people.

Feel free to PM me or post other questions on here.

:)

Hi. I was wondering if you are doing the HPSP and which branch? I just was offerend an AF HPSP and am trying to get some insight from current HPSP medical students. Please let me know anything and everything that you know about the HPSP from an insider prespective. Was there anything in your contract that you had them correct before signing it?

I have a question about tailoring one's uniforms (assuming some of you guys purchased them in advance of your summer training session)... I just purchased most of my stuff (during spring break) but at a base near my house which is not near my school... how do I get onto a base that is more local to my school to have this stuff altered while I'm out at school? Can I just show up at a front gate with my COT travel orders/appointment paperwork? I also have to pick up a few more things that this particular base didn't have at the time.

Thanks!

Um... you just drive up and show them your military ID card?

Hey is anybody going to COT from May to June 08? I am a bit nervous and am curious how others are preparing (PT/learning AF stuff).

Hey is anybody going to COT from May to June 08? I am a bit nervous and am curious how others are preparing (PT/learning AF stuff).

I am going in July, and started on my pushups/situps in February because I was far below the minimum standards. Alas, I already built up my endurance for both (running was never a problem for me, so I didn't even bother to "work" on that). So, my advice is start strengthening whatever weak PT areas you may have, and you'll be fine. I think their website http://www.afoats.af.mil/ots/ has a PT prep guide as well. BTW, I hear that the COT is a piece of cake compared to the Navy's ODS, so we'll be fine!

Anybody know what they are? I'm going by my dad's recommendation of 50 push ups, 60 sit-ups, 10 pull ups (all the preceding in two minute sets), and a 14 minute 2 mile. I can do everything except the push ups without much trouble--at 6'1" my triceps burn out around 40 and I have to do them one-by-one thereafter. Is there any reason to work for more than those numbers? Will someone be holding my feet for the sit ups? If not, am I done if my toes come off the deck?--I do them with my feet slipped under my couch to help with the balance. For the push ups, are we tested on elbows out (wider than shoulder emphasizing chest), elbows in (flush to body, emphasizing triceps), or is any form we want fair game?

I used to run track and figure I could get back down to an 11 minute 2 mile in the next two months if I really bust my butt, but is it even worth it? eg will they give me less crap if I can rock the PT stuff from the gate or can i just relax at it a bit? Is it better to just stick with the pack on the PT stuff? I have a competitive swimming background and am really interested in doing UMO Training, so will my ODS PFT results follow me? If I dominate it does that make me a better candidate later on?

Thanks, I know it's a lot of questions.

Do a search for fitness standards and your particular branch of service. The standards are based upon gender and age. At COT, someone holds your legs during situps and the count is pretty easy going---done by your classmates.

Is it crunches or sit-ups? I keep reading crunches, but does someone know for sure???

Arms corssed with hands on shoulders, motion carried to point where elbows touch legs. Apparently no pull-ups(?)

This is what I found on google. Again no pull-ups for some reason and the pushups are only to parallel, not til your chest is just off the ground (had to touch a tennis ball in high school). Still don't think I'd ever do 80 pushups straight without breaking proper form and execution, my goal now is 80/70/10:00 for the final PFT...
http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/resources/PTstandards.pdf
http://www.navy-prt.com/files/6110.1H.pdf

USN Physical Readiness Test Standards
(Test site elevation LESS than 5,000 ft above sea level)
Performance Males: Age 20-24 years

Performance Leve Pts: Situp Pushup 1.5mi 500yd 450m
Outstanding High 100: 105 87 8:30 6:30 6:20
Outstanding Medium 95: 103 86 9:00 7:00 6:50
Outstanding Low 90: 98 81 9:15 7:30 7:20
Excellent High 85: 94 77 9:45 8:00 7:50
Excellent Medium 80: 90 74 10:00 8:15 8:05
Excellent Low 75: 87 71 10:30 8:45 8:35
Good High 70: 78 64 10:45 9:30 9:20
Good Medium 65: 66 55 11:30 10:30 10:20
Good Low 60: 58 47 12:00 11:30 11:20
Satisfactory High 55: 54 45 12:45 12:00 11:50
Satisfactory Medium 50: 50 42 13:15 12:15 12:05
Probationary 45: 46 37 13:30 13:00 12:50

I go to the gym a lot, but it has been like months since I did a push up. Guess I gotta get started.

Does it even matter at OIS, like really matter? Because I am thinking medicore keeps people from making you squad leader or whatever lame thing.

I don't know about OIS, but your physical fitness level has nothing to do with leadership at COT. You will, however, get invited to join the platinum club and get to work out indoors while everyone else is outside. Don't blow off the PT test; it counts toward your overall score for distinguished graduate.

What does it matter between working out indoors or outdoors? Are you prohibited from going to the weight room or something?

With distinguished graduate, does that actually mean anything after OIS?

hmm... I suppose if you're going for like 0-9 or something it might matter??? hehe...

HAHA, I figured.

But I probably wont even be going this summer. If ODS is full can I get school orders?

Looks like ODS is full. Me orders were dissaproved. Does anyone know if I can do school orders now?

So I guess I will need to complete ODS for the Navy... during third or fourth years or after graduation.

this might be lame, but i'm totally worried about being physically prepared for COT. i'm working my arse off right now doing situps, pushups, running almost every day. i can probably work up to a "pass" of 75 before COT.

are most people at COT awesome athletes that run 8 minute miles and such? i just don't want to be the "crappy, weak one."

any input would be greatly appreciated. also, what's the male/female breakdown of trainees? is it mostly dudes?

Very few of the people at COT were athletes. I remember seeing several people vomit after the 1.5 mile run. If you're getting in shape now, you should be fine by the time COT rolls around.

Very few of the people at COT were athletes. I remember seeing several people vomit after the 1.5 mile run. If you're getting in shape now, you should be fine by the time COT rolls around.

ok, well i feel better then. i can definitely run 1.5 or even 3 miles without vomiting. :thumbup:

are most people at COT awesome athletes that run 8 minute miles and such? i just don't want to be the "crappy, weak one."

any input would be greatly appreciated. also, what's the male/female breakdown of trainees? is it mostly dudes?

This was Navy OIS, but there was probably an even male/female mix in my class. As the other user says, most were not awesome athletes by any means. In fact, if you are an athlete you might find yourself at a lower level of physical fitness when you finish than when you started...and even if there are more dudes, we had females who could do more pushups and run faster than a lot of the dudes.

Damn, looks like I wont be there this summer. Definite no on ODS. Which is either :( or :)...

Has anyone done ODS between second and third year? I know that is a pretty bad time with part of The Test coming up, but if anyone has and has managed...?

This was Navy OIS, but there was probably an even male/female mix in my class. As the other user says, most were not awesome athletes by any means. In fact, if you are an athlete you might find yourself at a lower level of physical fitness when you finish than when you started...and even if there are more dudes, we had females who could do more pushups and run faster than a lot of the dudes.
i'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. my gym has free personal training so i've been taking advantage of that to get ready. one of the guys that works there also did OBC, so he's been helpful as well.

i just didn't want to be THAT girl that couldn't do pushups or lagged behind on the run or whatever.

i'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. my gym has free personal training so i've been taking advantage of that to get ready. one of the guys that works there also did OBC, so he's been helpful as well.

i just didn't want to be THAT girl that couldn't do pushups or lagged behind on the run or whatever.

There were a lot of "THAT girls" and "THAT guys". As long as you can run and can do pushups, you'll be fine, and even if you are "THAT girl" your classmates won't care. At least my class was pretty encouraging of each other.

I'll second the encouraging part. Since we tested on a track, the people who finished first would go back and push the others to run faster. We even cheered on people from other flights we didn't know.

Just FYI for those going to COT. COT has an age range from like 22-40 something. There will be people in the flight that have not seen a track for years to months and people who don't know what a track is (well that may be a small fib but you get the drift). We did have 1 female in our company that ran a sub 9min 1.5 miles but only 1. If you have been exercising some or a lot you will be ahead of the majority that are there with you. Bottom line don't sweat the PT. When you go out in the morning make yourself work. Nobody is going to push you to do that extra pushup, situp, flutter kick, or whatever except you. You will get out what you put into it. Most people do improve their fitness scores during the time spent at COT.

Just FYI for those going to COT. COT has an age range from like 22-40 something. There will be people in the flight that have not seen a track for years to months and people who don't know what a track is (well that may be a small fib but you get the drift). We did have 1 female in our company that ran a sub 9min 1.5 miles but only 1. If you have been exercising some or a lot you will be ahead of the majority that are there with you. Bottom line don't sweat the PT. When you go out in the morning make yourself work. Nobody is going to push you to do that extra pushup, situp, flutter kick, or whatever except you. You will get out what you put into it. Most people do improve their fitness scores during the time spent at COT.

damn, I can easily run a sub 9 min 1.5, do we get extra points for that?:laugh:

damn, I can easily run a sub 9 min 1.5, do we get extra points for that?:laugh:

You get to go back and cheer on those who aren't as fast as you in a condescending tone like they're in elementary school!. ;) Joking. But a sub 9 mile and a half is pretty good and you'd be set for any of the training.

My fastest run has been 8:20ish with some hefty training (did too much and hurt myself) and most would come in around 9:30 to 10 minutes or so.