OHSU vs East Coast, residency in mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am trying to think ahead towards residency (at least a tad) while selecting a med school out of those I have been accepted to.

Basically, I am accepted at OHSU followed by a number of east coast private schools: Rochester, GUSOM and maybe NYU (waitlist). I am interested in specializing in some way- maybe surgery- and am also considering a career in academic medicine.

I need help figuring out which school/which location would be best given I am definitely seeking a west-coast residency and potentially a surgical residency. I know OHSU may allow for away rotations at nearby places I am interested in for residency (UW, OHSU, Bay Area schools/CA), but it is also primary care/family medicine oriented which I am worried about. It's also not that cheap, even for a state resident like myself it's 60K in loans per year, no real aid other than loans. Thanks for chipping in.

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't closing any doors by going to OHSU.

The amount of people who end up in the surgical specialties compared to initially wanting to do them is about 25% btw... Just saying.

Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am trying to think ahead towards residency (at least a tad) while selecting a med school out of those I have been accepted to.

Basically, I am accepted at OHSU followed by a number of east coast private schools: Rochester, GUSOM and maybe NYU (waitlist). I am interested in specializing in some way- maybe surgery- and am also considering a career in academic medicine.

I need help figuring out which school/which location would be best given I am definitely seeking a west-coast residency and potentially a surgical residency. I know OHSU may allow for away rotations at nearby places I am interested in for residency (UW, OHSU, Bay Area schools/CA), but it is also primary care/family medicine oriented which I am worried about. It's also not that cheap, even for a state resident like myself it's 60K in loans per year, no real aid other than loans. Thanks for chipping in.

The amount of people who end up in the surgical specialties compared to initially wanting to do them is about 25% btw... Just saying.

OP, I can't really help with your choice, but what I quoted from drizzt above is so true. Everyone wants to cut until a buddy of theirs two year ahead goes through the match and starts that surgical intern year. Survivable, but it's hard to hear people talk about it and the word "hellish" not come to mind. Interactions with interns/junior residents while rounding at 5:00 am on your surgical clerkship have the same effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
also not that cheap, even for a state resident like myself it's 60K in loans per year, no real aid other than loans.

This is what I constantly struggle with. I'm applying next cycle and I find it hard to stay on Oregon based on the financial situation on OHSU. I won't be disappointed with I end up at OHSU because I've spent a lot of time shadowing there and everyone I've met has been superb.

OP, I can't really help with your choice, but what I quoted from drizzt above is so true. Everyone wants to cut until a buddy of theirs two year ahead goes through the match and starts that surgical intern year. Survivable, but it's hard to hear people talk about it and the word "hellish" not come to mind. Interactions with interns/junior residents while rounding at 5:00 am on your surgical clerkship have the same effect.

Haha, I'm on surgery right now, and totally love it... but seriously. The uro pgy-2s were on q2 in-house call... f that.

So I understand that surgery is tough (and I think it's okay that I am interested in it, really, I'll be fine)... does anyone have any more thoughts on OHSU vs East Coast schools and when it comes to specializing or doing academic medicine?

Thanks!

So I understand that surgery is tough (and I think it's okay that I am interested in it, really, I'll be fine)... does anyone have any more thoughts on OHSU vs East Coast schools and when it comes to specializing or doing academic medicine?

Thanks!

Take OHSU over the others. I'd rate them about equally, and OHSU will be much cheaper. Plus OHSU has great surgical residency programs that are well known for being pretty high volume for the size of the programs.

Take OHSU over the others. I'd rate them about equally, and OHSU will be much cheaper. Plus OHSU has great surgical residency programs that are well known for being pretty high volume for the size of the programs.

Thanks DoctwoB- although OHSU is not cheaper...

Factor in the cost of living in Portland vs. other major east coast cities (like New York) and you will find it to be cheaper~

When I was selecting schools, I didn't give put much emphasis on whether a school emphasized specialization or primary care. Your Step 1, LOR's, 3rd year grades, etc will matter more.

However, I think there is something to be said about regional bias for residency. I think your chances are greater of landing a residency in the west coast of you go to OHSU and east coast if you pick GUSOM. Obviously, thats not to say it can't be done but I have heard there is some preference for regional candidates.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck with your decision :)

Hi Thom1986, if you pick OHSU we'll be classmates come August. I personally think OHSU have great surgery programs which will at least help boost your chances of landing in a well-reputed surgical residency anywhere, especially on the west coast. You seem quite well-informed so I'm sure you're aware of the regional bias when it comes to residency matches. I can understand picking Rochester over OHSU if your heart is on the East coast. However you mention wanting to do your PGY's right on this side of the country. I don't know a whole lot about the comparative strength of programs so my opinions are far from authoritative but I think OHSU would be a good fit for you given your preferences. You have spoken a number of times about the relative high tuition at OHSU. Well, unfortunately we're not from texas, kansas, wisconsin or any other state where IS are lucky enough to pay so little money for a medical education. Most private schools will charge at least a few thousands more than OHSU and I agree with the above poster in saying that living expenses should be factored into the calculation. If you get admitted to say NYU, then the cultural life should definitely given consideration as well.

All in all, I don't think OHSU would be a shabby choice for a surgery-minded, west coast-oriented student like you. I hope you get in your dream school by the end of the season so that you may make the best of decision. I have a feeling any school would be glad to have such a bright young and ambitious student in their class. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.