***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I won't be able to make it on the 20th.:rolleyes:

Who knows maybe I'll have it, or another one, after i get back Jan 4. When do undergrad classes start again?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow - Dr. Denton Cooley was at the Houston reception tonight! That's insane! I only wish I had met Dr. Debakey...

Sry. First time back since the meeting with deans and such. There were a few questions that were actually helpful, yet UTMB side stepped most of the questions with very vague answers or answered a different question alot.

Im also quite embarrassed over a couple of the peoples questions. Why would you ask about minute things like first floors of frat houses being rebuilt scribes being consistent enough to still use when all these people have lost jobs and our school is losing money everyday? Wasted time for important questions...

Also the woman in the red coat was a b***h about everything. She acted like a 2 year old.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on coming down the weekend of January 16th. I had a student from this forum already offer to show me around that day, which I am very excited about! I'm sure if others wanted to come down that day we could make a small group tour out of it.

abbi

Sry. First time back since the meeting with deans and such. There were a few questions that were actually helpful, yet UTMB side stepped most of the questions with very vague answers or answered a different question alot.

Im also quite embarrassed over a couple of the peoples questions. Why would you ask about minute things like first floors of frat houses being rebuilt scribes being consistent enough to still use when all these people have lost jobs and our school is losing money everyday? Wasted time for important questions...

I agree with most of what you said. Let me explain my "scribes" question. I was not really trying to ask about scribes. I was more asking about how consistent will the education be with previous years. Most of our class studies religiously from scribes and uses the tutoring services. Most of the tutors just talk about what is important to study and scribes is supposed to high light important topics. My concern was that with a couple new course directors highlighted or stressed information would change thus making scribes and tutoring less efficient. Sorry for "wasting" your time, if you have a more important question to ask, feel free to let me know and I will be sure to ask it at the next SGA meeting.

Just got off the phone with one of my mentors at UTSW. I thought for sure he'd say to transfer (he strongly didn't want me to attend UTMB in the first place, and thought I was crazy when I did--he wanted me to go elsewhere anywhere else but UTMB). I thought he'd say now to get the heck out of here.
He didn't say that at all, actually. I was shocked. I thought I would pass it on, if it helps anybody thinking about coming here.
He said that from what he can tell, this whole UTMB issue is a statewide problem, that will be decided by the legislature (meets in January), and the board of regents. He kind of said basically that I'm just a piddly little student, and the decisions that will be made are far, far bigger than me--from the impression he is getting just listening in different circles. He said every dean, and anybody associated with UT, the entire state over is trying to figure out how to handle UTMB's situation. He said this his a highly political situation (which is very true), and that Galveston's very income/viability as a city partially depends on UTMB (also true--you can see that just by reading the conspiracy theories on in the Galveston County Daily newspaper (www.galvnews.com))--so this is extremely political. (Read: they waited until AFTER the elections to lay off folks...) He said if UTMB lets students transfer, then it doesn't give them as much pull in legislature.
So...he said to just study and do well on boards. He said anytime anybody talks about it, to end the conversation and go study! He did not think that transferring was viable--since every dean is thinking of what to do with UTMB, and the decisions are bigger than any one dean. He did say that folks whose spouses would've/do work at UTMB, and could get a job in another city might be able to do pull of a transfer, but that's not really my situation, so I certainly would not be at the front of the line. So, I guess I'm staying at UTMB. I don't know whether to cry or to rejoice.
Maybe I'll go and get an SSRI to cope, haha! This is so frustrating. I guess I'll just be separated from my husband for 3rd and 4th year.....
I guess I wouldn't be so upset if I'd signed up for this--a rural, spread out program. But I specifically turned down schools with a rural-clinical basis, partly partly so I would see my husband sometimes, instead of driving all the time. It's not like he can just pick up and follow me wherever.
I'm glad to hear about the GHT still being on track. I've been kind of afraid to email about it, even though I'm really involved with global health here...I almost didn't want to know, especially since I'd heard that Marianne had been laid off.
Oh, P.S. I don't know if I'd mentioned it before, but for housing...drive around at NIGHT in the neighborhood where you want to be. That'll give you an idea of what the neighborhood is truly like. There are some neighborhoods that are quiet, and some that aren't (but un-quiet might not mean unsafe.) Galv is a little weird, b/c there aren't zoning laws. (This also adds to the adventure/charm...) You'll literally have a druggie house, and the next street over very pricey homes. It was a bit of a culture shock when we first came here. I always check sex offender registries too...I'm a dork. But, if my husbands not here, and I'm coming home late from some rotation (this was my thinking pre Ike), I wanted to be able to be safe enough. (For instance...Ball street has a RIDICULOUS number, or at least did last year, of registered offenders.) The classifieds (on galvnews.com) are helpful, as is craigslist. Many places give 5% discounts to UTMB students, so if they don't advertise it, ASK--"well this place down the road said they'd give me a discount." Also...because of the historic nature of the place, there are lots of "alternative" places to live---many of the victorian estates have garage apartments, mother-in-law quarters, basements, attics--cute little places to live that you might not think of. Some of the elegant victorian homes are also converted in to a few apartments--so if you don't want to, you don't have to merely go with the "average" apartment. There's always the lofts downtown Strand--although...Strand looks like a Ghost town now. But someday it'll be nice again. Very cute area. And, honestly, regarding housing, when the 4th yrs and residents graduate, there's a whole crop of housing that becomes available. So, if you kind of start looking in the spring, you'll find great things. We found the house we rented (before it flooded) in May before we started school.
Also...I don't know if this unnerves any women, but the "odds" of a rape in Galveston is about 3x that of downtown dallas. I was nervous about that until we got here...! If you're a smart resident, I don't think it's hardly an issue. B/c it's a tourist trap, people come from all over, and stay out really late--and hurt other people or are themselves hurt. I've seen women in bikinis on Seawall walking by themselves at midnight--perhaps not the most prudent idea ever. If you don't do unsafe things, you're probably fine!
Ok...off to follow my mentor's instructions and study Renal.

actually, that is reassuring that globalmd's mentor told her not to leave. thank you for telling us that.

also, it is somehow comforting to hear that this issue extends beyond just utmb and is a state problem- and unfortunately but very obviously-a political one.

i will tell you that if the state does not help with funding i will be enraged- because if the federal govt can help the financial and auto industry, then the state can help its med schoool.............

i did hear last week that the state of tx received 1.3 billion from federal funding to deal with ike damages- i would hope a good chunk of that would come to utmb- or galveston in general..............

to the people that have already attended receptions, what did the alumni, faculty, etc at the reception say in regards to this whole issue?

One of our fabulous professors here, Dr. Aronson, (you'll LOVE her teaching if you come here) was pretty outraged at the board of regents. At the same meeting where the regents declined help to UTMB (I can rustle up that official email somewhere if you are interested), they also approved a 950,000 dollar a year (aka...almost a million) salary for the UT head coach...
In other words...fire a bunch of docs at UTMB providing healthcare to very needy folks, and decline help to an ailing institution but increase salary for football coach...
I have nothing against football--brings a lot of people together in this world. But...we're talking healthcare here. Not THAT big of a deal, I guess, but it just seemed like their priorities were out of whack.

In other words...fire a bunch of docs at UTMB providing healthcare to very needy folks, and decline help to an ailing institution but increase salary for football coach...
I have nothing against football--brings a lot of people together in this world. But...we're talking healthcare here. Not THAT big of a deal, I guess, but it just seemed like their priorities were out of whack.

IMO if UT football never existed, the entire UT system wouldnt have a quarter of the funds they have now. College football brings in money for the school systems. A few hundred thousand more for the coach, who is bringing in millions to UT, is not an issue.

I agree with most of what you said. Let me explain my "scribes" question. I was not really trying to ask about scribes. I was more asking about how consistent will the education be with previous years. Most of our class studies religiously from scribes and uses the tutoring services. Most of the tutors just talk about what is important to study and scribes is supposed to high light important topics. My concern was that with a couple new course directors highlighted or stressed information would change thus making scribes and tutoring less efficient. Sorry for "wasting" your time, if you have a more important question to ask, feel free to let me know and I will be sure to ask it at the next SGA meeting.

Im not saying all questions were a waste of my time. Im saying a few questions wasted time for other more important and pressing questions. And scribes changes little year to year anyway. Look at this years compared to last years. ive seen the years b4 that as well and they all have the same information but is just formatted differently. How would tutoring differ? You still have to know the same material...so you can learn it from scribes, the tutor or even the textbook although I fail to see a need for textbooks with scribes having everything you need to know.

Overall, Im really more disappointed in how UTMB handles themselves. Red caoted lady was a b***h and the rest lollygagged around questions to not have to give a real answer. They have horrid communication to students about whats going on and take no consideration of what students want/feel is best for themselves. Thats really my one and only issue.

IMO if UT football never existed, the entire UT system wouldnt have a quarter of the funds they have now. College football brings in money for the school systems. A few hundred thousand more for the coach, who is bringing in millions to UT, is not an issue.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Fact is, football makes money, lots of it too. I'm sure that without a successful athletic dept. the UT system would not be nearly what it is today.

One of our fabulous professors here, Dr. Aronson, (you'll LOVE her teaching if you come here) was pretty outraged at the board of regents. At the same meeting where the regents declined help to UTMB (I can rustle up that official email somewhere if you are interested), they also approved a 950,000 dollar a year (aka...almost a million) salary for the UT head coach...

The concern about the salary of the football coach is always one of the first things people question. I think you should do more research about it before slinging around such comments though. In fact, the UT Athletics program is completly funded by the money it brings in at this point, no longer receiving financial help from money that could be allocated to academics. There is a great article in a recent Texas monthly that describes this current trend. First, after two home football games at UT they make enough money to fund ALL other UT athletic programs. Secondly, the UT athletics program is doing so well now financially they actually made a profit last school year. From this profit they even donated a significant amount of money to academics, making a new chair position (can remember the field) named after Mack Brown. So, the salary is in fact justified as they try to attract professionals who are some of the best at what they do in order to maintain this success that UT Athletics has had, especially the football program.

actually, that is reassuring that globalmd's mentor told her not to leave. thank you for telling us that.

The way I understand it, it's not so much that he told her not to leave, he told her you're SOL so just make the best of it and study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another UTMB 2nd year here --
I used to hang around these boards quite a bit to answer questions but have since had some other things going on... like having a baby a month ago. :D
I see that most questions have been answered by my favorite buddy Kudu, but if you have any specific questions about what its like being married and with a family - feel free to pm or email me.

I also wanted to mention that the course directors who were "laid off" or what not were all planning on retiring either this year or next even before the storm. I am saddened by the loss of many of the PBL facilitators and expert physicians, but the turn over for these "experts" is relatively high anyways and lots of people leave and switch institutions without it disrupting our education.

I didn't read every post but thought I could give some random "new UTMB" facts
- They do not plan on opening up any more than 70 clerkship spots in Austin.
- The building where PBLs are held will be up and running by March/April.
- John Sealy is moving cafeteria, pharmacy, blood bank and a few other things off of the first floor which will make construction last a little longer than most people would expect.
- Lecture halls were not damaged... just a little cold.
- Housing near campus kinda stinks. I have a house off the island. If you are interested in buying, let me know and I can point you to some places.
- Very few students actually took leaves after the storm and the ones who did were mostly because of family/personal issues that were compounded by the storm. For instance, I had to "skip" a course but I am back. I know a few 2nd years left because Ike gave them an excuse that was acceptable even though they had been miserable and wanting to leave for quite some time.
- Don't plan on great communication from the administration. It was never a UTMB strong point, and it has only gotten worse.

For those who emailed Kimberly McInnis about attending one of the UTMB receptions, did she confirm your attendance by replying back?[FONT=Century Schoolbook, serif].

Hey everyone, I've also been accepted to UTMB, but I haven't quite decided if that's where I'm going to go for sure or not. However, the more I think about that idea, the more I'm excited about going to UTMB.

I'm going down to Galveston to visit on Dec 11 and 12. Are there any current students or possible students that I might be able to meet up with on one of those days? (I know its late notice)

Also, I have a question for Global and any other students who are doing the global health track. How is it? Is it everything you expected? The global health track is one of the big reasons that I like UTMB and I'm just trying to get a feel if it is everything they made it out to be when talking about it.

Thanks

i have the same question as cd2 regarding the global health track- because that is one of my big factors for liking utmb.

at my houston interview dr. kellaway was talking about they are trying to kick off some global health programs and mentioned that they had been talking to utmb as to how to do it....

just thought that was interesting.

at utmb i remember the lady giving the presentation said it hadnt been there long enough to have students graduate with the whole track and see what they do......

This is so frustrating. I guess I'll just be separated from my husband for 3rd and 4th year.....I guess I wouldn't be so upset if I'd signed up for this--a rural, spread out program. But I specifically turned down schools with a rural-clinical basis, partly partly so I would see my husband sometimes, instead of driving all the time. It's not like he can just pick up and follow me wherever.

Hmmm...I don't get it. What makes you think we're turning into a "rural, spread out program"? Have you heard something not posted on here? How far do you think you're going to drive?

also, it is somehow comforting to hear that this issue extends beyond just utmb and is a state problem- and unfortunately but very obviously-a political one.

i did hear last week that the state of tx received 1.3 billion from federal funding to deal with ike damages- i would hope a good chunk of that would come to utmb- or galveston in general..............

I believe the UTMB pres said last week that we should get about 500 mil from fema, but iirc they reimburse you after you reconstruct, so that dough could be a few years in the making.

UTMB is a state hospital, and its the state and the UT system that are going to have the most input long-term. Its going to get noisy betwen now and when the legislature convenes. The mayor and others here have already talked about putting some sort of hospital tax district proposal on the ballot as early as spring...they're putting on thier lipstick for Austin.

I see that most questions have been answered by my favorite buddy Kudu, but if you have any specific questions about what its like being married and with a family - feel free to pm or email me.

Hey "mom", long time no see. Hope the ankle biter is well.

I'm going down to Galveston to visit on Dec 11 and 12. Are there any current students or possible students that I might be able to meet up with on one of those days? (I know its late notice)

Yup, just pm me.

I'm taking a break. Reading my renal paper is driving me up the wall. Gah...

All I was referring to with "never" seeing my husband was that we'll be in the "Greater Galveston Area" (which is just about as intelligent a phrase as "We stop for no storm." There ought to be a rule about what size of city can claim a "greater area". IT's like saying "Greater Midlothian, Texas area." Ridiculous. Saying the "Greater Houston" or "Greater Galveston" area makes sense--they're big cities. Galveston is not, esp. post-Ike.

I know they used to do some "home" rotations, that were really in Conroe, etc--so that would be guaranteed away time from my husband. He also has an insane schedule. But regarding other "home" rotations nearer to UTMB, I'm most concerned. I'm just referring to the fact that it looks like now our "home" rotations will be quite spread out. In other words...working 14 hour days, driving an hour each way on some rotations (it appears that they seem to be thinking that anything with in 45-60 minutes' drive is an okay distance--and we're talking piddly, community-based tiny clinics.) That kind of thing, plus my husband's schedule will equate to us hardly ever seeing each other for large chunks of time. I guess that's what texting is for. On the upside...I'm sure it's better birth control than any OC. Haha.

I'm probably a BIT jaded about this whole spread out rotation thing because of my limited (negative) experience with it. I acutely remember my unfortunate clinical experience 1st year where I had to drive quite a ways, to a itsy bitsy little clinic, with a doctor that did not know how to teach, and so didn't, and didn't really let me see patients the way I was supposed to (to fulfull the assignments). It wasn't just me...the other students there had the same experiences--we'd get home and say "did we learn anything today?" I'm probably partly mapping that illustrious experience on to my fears for 3rd-4th years.

I know a UTMB resident who was sent to MD Anderson after Ike. That was considered legit, distance wise. She has a UTMB-faculty husband, and 2 kids on the island--they own a home here. She commuted--about an hour and a half one way I believe, with traffic and finding parking at the med center--and that was considered okay by powers that be.

Regarding the Global Health Track. I too came to UTMB in large part because of the GHT (and curriculum, and how nice the folks are, etc.) I really, really want to do international medicine. I think the program is probably everything they claim it is. Obviously, nobody's taken the boards yet, since the program is new.

The only thing is, that I think when I interviewed they gave the impression that scholarships are readily available for funding for overseas rotations. They might've had less funding last year, or something, because less people received scholarships than usual last year. You have to remember that 3rd and 4th years are also applying, and that the some of the program gurus really, really like rural, needy areas. So, if you're a 1st year applying to go to Tokyo you may not get funding. (But, they love 1st years, so don't let that stop you from applying!) I did receive a scholarship for my preceptorship last summer--paid for airfare, which was very pricey to where I was headed. One of my very close friends received a scholarship too, but there were a lot of folks that were hoping for funding that did not receive it. There are other creative ways to find funding: a classmate did a fund raiser by embroidering people's names on their white coats, and if you're religious, often churches will help (mine did). If all else fails, they do extend financial aid into the summer if you're doing a preceptorship, so you can always take out more loans.
The global health secretary--who does SO much work, and helps a lot with setting up your rotations/credit, etc was laid off, which is sad. It's a bit hard for me to imagine how the program will run without her. I hope they see the light and hire her back.
You'll find out more about the GHT once you get here, but the global health directors are truly trying to build up UTMB to be "the" place to come to school if you want to do global health. (That's a paraphrase from a conversation with one of the directors of the program.) UTMB also just set up a program with Kijabe Hospital in Kenya, for rotations to be done there--and there's also the yearly Nicaragua trip that UTMB takes. But, additionally most students pick their own rotations abroad, sometimes combining it with language school, etc. You can totally think out of the box on where to go. Pretty cool.
So, whether you get funding or not, it is really a solid program. In 3rd or 4th year, you'll do some more electives abroad, in addition to the one you do after your 1st year. My hope is to do some more in the field I'm interested in, to get an idea of what it is like to practice medicine overseas in that area. Additionally in 3rd or 4th year you will complete a month long very intensive infectious dz/trop med class taught by Dr. White. It meets like 10 hours a day, and is supposed to be fabulous. I'm super-excited about that.
The "Students Improving Global Health Together" (SIGHT) is also a very active group that works in conjunction with the GHT. SIGHT at UTMB is the prototype for the other schools starting global health student groups---SIGHT-UTMB is kind of mentoring other TX schools in that.
Now as far as actually being board-eligible, I cannot address that. I don't know if I'll feel ready to take the certification in Tropical and Travel Medicine upon graduation from med school, but at least I'll have fulfilled the requirements, and I can always bone up on the material, and take it partway thru residency.
If you'd like to look at the global health track site, here's the address:
http://ctih.utmb.edu/home.aspx

Thanks for all of the info Global...it's good to hear some of the positives that you mentioned because I really am excited about the GHT possibility, considering I got into medicine because of my interest in global health. I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not...but where did you go between your 1st and 2nd year? Thanks again

I'll pm you. =) I don't want to give away that much info online, since it would automatically ID me...=)

Bock, bock, bock...:D

What do you guys see this GHT thing doing for you career-wise? I don't know much about it. Sounds kinda cool though.

And Global, I do hope everything settles down before your clinicals start. Maybe you can influence where they send you since you have family involved.

Thanks Kudu, I truly appreciate it. Here's hoping! :oops:

As far as careers go, being eligible to sit for the Certification Exam in Tropical and Travel Medicine through the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene upon graduation will be nice, especially so early after getting an M.D. (But...as I mentioned earlier...in all honesty, I'm not sure I'll be ready to sit for it after graduation...might some more clinical experience before attempting!)

I don't know what I want to do specialty wise (Infectious Dz??), but I do want to do global health hopefully full time in the future. But, I think GHT would be great for anybody remotely interested in doing short short trips, etc, once they get in practice.

That, and the fact that any doc in the U.S. will be seeing immigrants, migrant workers, etc--and these patients have a special set of "tropical" and other kinds of pathology based on their background, that might be missed if we're not aware of disease endemic to their areas/backgrounds. So, probably the GHT could really apply to anybody who's interested, regardless of the extent to which we plan to do global health out of country. :)

I completely agree with everything that global said.

And if you have never been on a medical trip to a developing country, I would highly recommend it...it will truly be an unforgettable experience

ok globalmd- i have to say, considering that your other posts have been glass half empty (actually more like 3/4 empty) it means a LOT that you actually think the GHT is "solid"

and thanks for explaining where your other frustrations come from- it gives your perspective context.

So I foolishly didn't read the whole email about the receptions and didn't RSVP until today for tonight's Austin reception. Did anyone else do this and then attend? Was it worth it?

I'm conflicted as to whether or not to go, since I have a chemical engineering final tomorrow morning at 9.

I wound up not going even though I RSVP'd a few weeks ago; it's just too much time to spend going there when I think anyone really trying to get some info would be better served to actually just visit the campus over Christmas.

those receptions are really for ppl that havent decided to go to UTMB. They have food and mingle with faculty and parents of current students and try to sway you to UTMB. If you interviewed, you heard pretty much everything. It was a waste of my time to go to mine except the food was really good.

those receptions are really for ppl that havent decided to go to UTMB. They have food and mingle with faculty and parents of current students and try to sway you to UTMB. If you interviewed, you heard pretty much everything. It was a waste of my time to go to mine except the food was really good.

I had pretty much decided on UTMB before the social. However, I did find it insightful to talk to many others who are trying to decide on which school to attend and/or their reasons for wanting to go to UTMB. The house last night was awesome!

ok, so i'm interloping into your forum. my people spend a lot of time teaching your people (mostly the 1st and 2nd years, and the occasional 3rd and 4th years). yep, i'm a lab "facilitator". one of the reasons i wanted to match at utmb is the amount of time we spend teaching med students. i know a lot of times the labs bore y'all, but for people who love to teach, we can make your experience at leat somewhat entertaining (i dunno, i got pretty good reviews). while i'm not sold on the integrated med school curriculum, i think the labs do a good job sometimes. i think i've taught for most of them and information is straight out of robbins or ...i forget the name of the histology book y'all use. something polysyllabic. most of the faculty that organize your lab classes have not been fired.

if i were an incoming utmb med student, i'd sign up to do the first two years at utmb and the last two at austin. i know several people who did that, but i didn't go to utmb, so i don't know just how that works.

also, y'all have that awesome program where you can check on your lab info on the internet. and the digital slides.

anyway, during the time when your labs are scheduled, most of us are there ( i can't vouch for ALL of us) to help you out during labs.

anyway, any of y'all feel free to PM me about lab if you need anything. i haven't taught any classes this year yet, but i'll be back in the spring to stir things up or to at least jump around like an idiot to keep you awake.

most of us love our jobs and love teaching, so, like the rest of your medical eduators, we're there to support you, but you'll only get out as much as you put in. as for clinical stuff, read the houston chronicle and the galveston daily news. my prediction is: if you don't opt to go to austin, you'll be farmed out by rotation (which means if you buy/rent a home in g-town, who knows what kind of commute you'll be up against in your 2nd and 3rd years. that's our residency situation, at least...)

good luck in school and pm if you have questions about residency or labs, etc!

I joined it. I can relive my post-acceptance foibles through you guys:).

Ok, so we've had a hurricane, and now snow. In Galveston. And the hurricane obliterated the brand new Hooters that was on a pier...I dunno, but this might be some sort of old-school Providential beat-down.:p

Last edited:
I figure this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone know if UTMB will be sending out anymore pre-match letters before Dec. 31st to the recently interviewed candidates?

Hey guys, so I have a bit of a dilemma, but I guess it's a good position to be in.

So I was actually part of the last group to interview at Galveston a week before the hurricane hit, and I really liked the school. I thought the people were incredibly friendly (not to mention relatively laid back) and I absolutely LOVED the curriculum. It really fits with my learning style.

On the other hand, I also really enjoyed my time at UTH. From my experience at the interview (and from all the experiences I've had meeting people there in the past....I live across the street at Rice U), the UTH people are also pretty chill, fun, and have a relatively anti-psycho med student temperment (like Galveston). On top of that, I love the facilities and the fact that the TMC is the largest medical center in the world. And that area of Houston is simply awesome. I know that because I currently live there.

BUT, I hate the old school UTH curriculum. Actually, Galveston was number one in my book for a long time just because of that. Also, while I know that Galveston will still provide a stellar education for the incoming med class (despite Ike, etc), I would rather not be in the rebuilding transition period. Honestly, I think Galveston will be THE place to go in about 4 years when everything is back to shape (not to mention all of the brand spanking new facilities.....kind of like UTH got when Allison killed them a few years back).

Anyways, at this point, I think the one thing holding me back from accepting UTH as my number one is the UTMB curriculum

I was fortunate enough to pre-match into both schools and I must make a decision by Jan 15....any thoughts, advice??

I figure this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone know if UTMB will be sending out anymore pre-match letters before Dec. 31st to the recently interviewed candidates?

I doubt anybody knows exactly....you could always try emailing/calling admissions (unless you already have haha). There were people getting accepted a few days after their int's not long ago and I have no reason to believe they will switch strategies unless they somehow feel they've overfilled the class. :luck::luck:

A dilemma, would be possibly facing the reality of having to reapply. :( (cough, cough)

But to address your indecision, I have been wanting to go to UTH since as far as I can remember, and it is a good school. I am like you in that I want a positive and fun filled environment to learn in, and both schools provide that. But comparing the UTH curriculum with the UTMB one is almost sad, the UTMB curriculum is much better structured and will probably prepare you for the USMLE better than what UTH has to offer. The process of rebuilding UTMB won't be as bad as everyone is making it out to be I believe. Dr. Thomas said that mainly it was the first floor of several building that was damaged, and that the important labs will be moved to the 4th floor, UTMB also just recently recieved 39 million dollars from FEMA. I think UTMB will come out of this even better than it went in, just like UTH did with Allison. They are both excellent schools, with friendly environments, but it looks like the UTMB curriculum wins.

Anyways, at this point, I think the one thing holding me back from accepting UTH as my number one is the UTMB curriculum

I was fortunate enough to pre-match into both schools and I must make a decision by Jan 15....any thoughts, advice??

I'm sorta having the same dilemma in trying to figure out if I'd rather match somewhere else over UTMB. I love UTMB, especially the curriculum and opp. to go to Austin, but I'm hearing a lot of disheartening things about UTMB in the news recently... most recently an article that one of the state reps is trying to circumvent relief money from UTMB to build another med school in S. Texas. Clearly I know that all of this news has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it really does make me a bit nervous that UTMB may end up being shortchanged in its efforts to rebuild.

Thoughts?

well, good to know that im not the only one out there with these concerns. its also weird that lots of people seem to be between UTH and UTMB...i guess because as far as environment goes (friendly, laid back) they are similar. i'm trying to convince myself to rank houston higher than utmb (have a prematch to utmb)...but something holds me back. even though i know that there is *uncertainty* in utmb's future, i just cant make myself choose houston over it. i cant really put my finger on it.

i think one thing is that utmb has a more service oriented feel to it than UTH and also the global health track is unique to utmb. and like everyone said, utmb's curriculum and testing schedule is leaps and bounds beyond uth. i guess i worry that i will choose utmb and something bad will happen and i'll regret it. sometimes i think well if i choose utmb and the best happens, then great. if its not as awesome as i had hoped, then it be like if i chose houston, the not as awesome choice for me. or, i could rank houston higher and see what *destiny* has in store for me. nope, just kidding.

i dont know.

i guess it comes down to this: is ike a good enough reason to choose another school over utmb even if you wouldnt have otherwise?

i guess it comes down to this: is ike a good enough reason to choose another school over utmb even if you wouldnt have otherwise?

I would say no. The experience will not vary noticeably as far as preclinical education goes. The same lectures will be given. The same material will be tested in the same way. You will still have the same kick ass half days and time to live life. You will still only have 1 class at a time, with only up to 2 tests in one week (written exam and lab exam). You will still have the same top notch board prep that keeps UTMBs scores above very competative by any calculation. Clinically, you will have more diversified opportunities in varying locations, but will still have John Sealy. You will still have Austin rotation options. You still have St. Vincent's hospital where u can practice being a doctor from week 1. You still have all the other pro's you saw in UTMB's "pre-Ike" status. Most of the con's that have arisen from Ike are money making media spin. Honestly, I have several friends that go to UTH, and hate the block scheduling of 5 tests in one week, etc. I too was stuck between UTH and UTMB. For me, this was my reason for choosing UTMB. I can have the best lifestyle of texas medical students and still get an education that provides for (statistically) the highest board average in texas. The chose became simple for me when put that way.

its also weird that lots of people seem to be between UTH and UTMB...i guess because as far as environment goes (friendly, laid back) they are similar.

I feel like the UTMB vs. elsewhere dilemma (at least for me) centers around the location versus the curriculum. It seems like the stellar factor about UTH is the location, especially with the TMC and whatnot; however, UTMB has a more likable curriculum. I'm personally debating about UTHSCSA and not UTH, though they seem to have a similar curriculum. I don't feel that one of these schools has that much of an advantage over another in terms of clinical experience.

UTMBMD2012 - Thanks for the response about the future of UTMB. It's probably the most concise and comforting anyone has given me at this time. It makes me feel better to know that the Austin rotations will still be available.

I hate trying to answer the school x vs school y questions. It forces my own perspectives on others and I have to make assumptions about people I don't know. I ranked it 1.UTMB 2.UTH 3. UTSW. But it just depends on you. Has anyone offered you money? If you "hate" the UTH curric but think you'll love everything else, could you tolerate it for a year or so? Would you "hate" living in Galvy Erika? Of course they are semi-close, but still.

My own personal reasonings? In no particular order I liked the UTMB curric better. Hated the thought of living in Htown (but nice to have access to it). I've lived in small towns before, and actually prefer that. I'm a sucker for the rustic, historical aspect of Galvy and the ocean (don't care about the beach...just like being near the ocean....cup of coffee at sunrise sitting on the seawall watching the waves crash keeps it all in perspective for me). The campus had a small liberal arts college feel to it... I liked that. And, I know I'm a freak for this, but I didn't care for the TMC...sorry:oops:.

They are both great schools...can't go wrong with either...but I don't really have a clue which one would be best for any of you. So glad I'm not a premed anymore:D.

OK...they expect + positive cash flow by summer, and to bring the tauma center back online by around then (as a 2 or 3). The ultimate goal is to bring the Level 1 back, but that takes moolah. Saw an int on tv with a Mem Hermann EM guy...the feeling is there should be 4 Level 1's in the Htown metro area...now there are two., and Oct was the busiest month they've had inover ten years...their diversion rate has tripled since UTMB closed.

Callendar currently expects UTMB will be ~350 beds in 18-24 months (y'all have ~30 moths before your rotations begin) if they get the money they're asking for, with about 100 of those for inmates and not including nursey beds. But again, who the hell knows?

I haven't really heard much about the residency prorams, and how it would affect UTMB if they are reduced substantially.

I'm sorta having the same dilemma in trying to figure out if I'd rather match somewhere else over UTMB. I love UTMB, especially the curriculum and opp. to go to Austin, but I'm hearing a lot of disheartening things about UTMB in the news recently... most recently an article that one of the state reps is trying to circumvent relief money from UTMB to build another med school in S. Texas. Clearly I know that all of this news has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it really does make me a bit nervous that UTMB may end up being shortchanged in its efforts to rebuild.

UTMB isn't moving to S Tx. That makes no financial sense at all. Its getting close to political season and noise is going to increase from here on out...I expect UTMB to play the woe-is-me card as as much as it can. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Let the games begin.

There is a lot of uncertainty involved here, that won't really begin to resolve till after most of you have to make your choices...sucks I know. I don't know what the future will bring, none of us do. Do I think my education will be shortchanged? Naw, but that feeling isn't necessarily based on anything concrete, except that its in everybody's best interest not to do so. To the extent there is uncertainty, it's understandable that it goes in the negative column. Would I still pick UTMB today? Sure, not much has really changed for me, since school is mostly me reading books haha. The entire campus could fall apart and I can't really say it'd affect my education much ....but i am just a lowly 1st year.

As far as Austin. The Pres of UTMB told us that UTMB was first approached by the UT regents about investing a in possible school there, since we'd been there for decades. In his analysis, the roi for the money UTMB would spend was much better if spent in SE Tx, and he was fine if they talked to other Tx schools about it instead. He did make clear to the UT regents, however, that we wanted to keep the option of letting our students go to Austin. They were fine with that. Anything can change, but under the circumstances its hard to believe they'd have any incentive to somehow reduce our presence there.

(statistically) the highest board average in texas.

Actually, Baylor has by far the highest, and utsw is either neck-and-neck or slightly above us. And you know what? They should...those two have the highest MCAT avg's in the state. The thing I like about UTMB in this regard (even though board scores are ultimately up to you), is that we have a slightly below MCAT avg nationally, but a Step 1 that is considerably higher than the national avg....I think of that as "value added". Asimakis was telling me they had been approached by other schools because of this to see what we do.

Last edited:
Just because I'm curious: What is the state of John Sealy as of now? How many beds are open and is the hospital seeing patients of all types? How about the ORs?

Just because I'm curious: What is the state of John Sealy as of now? How many beds are open and is the hospital seeing patients of all types? How about the ORs?

Obstetrics and neonatal have been open for going on about two months, and the ED is "open", but is little more than an urgent care clinic at this point. I believe I heard that about two weeks after the OR's open back up they'll be in shape to come back as a real ED, but no trauma center of course for now. John Sealy was supposed to open on Nov 24 (with 6 OR's, med-surg, crit-care, transplant services), but they closed it soon after due to too many mold spores in the air system. For some reason, I think the last I heard was that they plan on reopening the hospital in Jan now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The clinics attached to the hospital have been reopening at a quick pace in Dec (over 12 due this month). Shriner's reopened the 1st on a limited basis.

Hi all :)

I have applied for IM residency at UTMB but didn't receive any inivitation yet. I know it was hit by Ike hurricane but is there any hope to hear from them?

I did an elective course at UTMB 2 years ago and liked the area. I hope I can visit it again.

Good Luck